PDA

View Full Version : Rep. of Ireland v France - You Can Be There!

Peadar
05/09/2005, 10:10 AM
Tomorrow night in Turners Cross, Cork at 19.45, the Republic of Ireland U21 team take on France U21's.
My phones, e-mail and PM's have been bombarded with people looking for tickets for the senior game on Wednesday but none have expressd an interest in this game.
The game is live on Sky Sports but everyone should make an effort to go if they can.
The Ireland squad is;

Wayne Henderson Brighton & Hove Albion
Darren Quigley U.C.D
Kevin Foley Luton Town
Stephen Kelly Tottenham Hotspur
Paddy McCarthy Leicester City
John Fitzgerald Bury
Alan Sheehan Leicester City
Stephen Paisley Longford Town
Willo Flood Coventry City
Stephen Dawson Mansfield Town
Gary Dicker UCD
Liam Kearney Cork City
Aiden McGeady Glasgow Celtic
Jay Tabb Brentford
Kevin Doyle Reading
Daryl Murphy Sunderland
Roy O’Donovan Cork City

paul_oshea
05/09/2005, 10:17 AM
ya well maybe if they started giving tickets to those who went to the u21 gamse a ticket for the senior game on wednesday, a hell of a lot more people would be going ;)

Peadar
05/09/2005, 10:24 AM
if they started giving tickets to those who went...

Bloody typical!
There are fans of football but a lot more fans of the "big occassion"! :rolleyes:

paul_oshea
05/09/2005, 10:26 AM
ya i know, but if they really wanted to increase the attendance thats a sure way of doing it!

Peadar
05/09/2005, 10:37 AM
but if they really wanted to increase the attendance...

There's enough talent on parade for this fixture to sell itself, if we had enough people with a genuine interest in football.
I know it's awkward for many people with family and career commitments but for those who can make it, this is a game not to be missed!

sylvo
05/09/2005, 11:40 AM
We went to Troye for the away u21 fixture v France, only an hour or so on the train from Paris, cracking performance by Ireland in front of fifty Ireland fans, which was stark contrast to the thirty five thousand the following night.

Donal81
05/09/2005, 12:00 PM
I'd genuinely like to go and generally get more supportive of the youth teams but I haven't a chance of getting down to Cork for 19.45, never going to happen.

Cowboy
05/09/2005, 12:29 PM
I've a good chance of getting there, will there be any tickets available on the gate?

Pablo
05/09/2005, 12:29 PM
i'll be there.i had 2 tickets for the senior game but the gut churning, indeed sickening olé Olers( aka premiership lovers) have made me decide to give up my allocation

Peadar
05/09/2005, 12:33 PM
I haven't a chance of getting down to Cork for 19.45

That's understandable, Donal.
It's the people who can but wouldn't bother, that I'm trying to reach.

will there be any tickets available on the gate?

Should be.
Contact the FAI, there's a lot of complimentary tickets floating around.

pete
05/09/2005, 1:29 PM
I don't think the FAI do U-21 games in Dublin anymore as been very poor attendances in the past. I can't remember last night had one in Dublin.

There will certainly be more people at the cross tonight than would go anywhere else in the country.

Peadar
05/09/2005, 1:33 PM
I don't think the FAI do U-21 games in Dublin anymore as been very poor attendances in the past.

The Switzerland game is pencilled in for Tolka. ;)

pete
05/09/2005, 2:07 PM
Revised squad is...

Wayne Henderson Brighton & Hove Albion
Darren Quigley U.C.D

Kevin Foley Luton Town
Stephen Kelly Tottenham Hotspur
John Fitzgerald Bury
Alan Sheehan Leicester City
Stephen Paisley Longford Town
Paul McShane (Manchester United)

Willo Flood Coventry City
Stephen Dawson Mansfield Town
Gary Dicker UCD
Liam Kearney Cork City
Aiden McGeady Glasgow Celtic
Jay Tabb Brentford

Kevin Doyle Reading
Daryl Murphy Sunderland
Roy O’Donovan Cork City

Based on previous games i'd guess line up will be:

Henderson,
Foley, Sheehan, Kelly, Fitzgerald,
McGeady, Dawson, Flood, Tabb/Kearney/O'Donovan
Doyle, Murphy

deego11
05/09/2005, 3:23 PM
The Switzerland game is pencilled in for Tolka. ;)

That would be great if the u21s match was on in Tolka for the Swiss game. What night is penciled in for? :ball:

Peadar
05/09/2005, 3:28 PM
What night is penciled in for?

Tuesday the 11th of October.

NeilMcD
05/09/2005, 3:35 PM
Cool I fly back from Cyprus that day , I think it will be straight from the Airport to Tolka so. I have been to a few U21 games and its worth the trip if you can make it in my view. I was very impressed with Stephen Elliot anytime I saw him play for the U21.

Drumcondra Red
05/09/2005, 4:04 PM
You going Peadar???

youngirish
05/09/2005, 5:33 PM
I thought Joey O'Brien would be making the under 21s now though he still qualifies for the under 19s. What's happenned to Potter, Whelan and Timlin does anybody know?

eirebhoy
05/09/2005, 6:45 PM
I thought Joey O'Brien would be making the under 21s now though he still qualifies for the under 19s. What's happenned to Potter, Whelan and Timlin does anybody know?
Whelan and Potter injured. Pity as they're our first choice central midfield pairing.

soccerc
05/09/2005, 6:56 PM
Joey O'Brien played for the U21's against Northern Ireland last month

Peadar
06/09/2005, 9:53 AM
Taken from FAI.ie (http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=304925&Title=Ireland+will+look+to+Doyle+and+Murphy+for+go als&lid=Main+News&sub=Ireland+will+look+to+Doyle+and+Murphy+for+goal s&navlid=&sublid=)

Kevin Doyle and Daryl Murphy will be charged with leading Ireland’s challenge to France in the UEFA U21 Championship tie at Turner’s Cross on Tuesday (Sept.6).

Doyle (Reading) and Murphy (Sunderland) were prolific goal-scorers in the eircom League last season with Cork City and Waterford United, respectively.

elroy
06/09/2005, 10:59 AM
In fairness the U21 games usually get a good crowd below in Cork, I think its a good idea playing those games away from Dublin. But I believe there is some bizarrre rule Uefa have about U21 games being played a certain distance from the senior game.

tetsujin1979
06/09/2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah, it's 100 miles from the location of the senior game, although this can be waived if both federations are in agreement about it, think something like that happened with the Russian U-21 game in Euro 2004 qualifying

Peadar
06/09/2005, 11:10 AM
although this can be waived if both federations are in agreement about it

The U21 fixture in France was played in Troyes so they agreed to Turners Cross.