PDA

View Full Version : Dicker called into under-21 squad

A face
05/09/2005, 8:10 AM
Dicker called into under-21 squad

There are now five National League players in the Irish under-21 squad for the game against France on Tuesday at Turner's Cross.
UCD's Gary Dicker replaces the injured Glenn Whelan.

The full revised squad:

Wayne Henderson (Aston Villa on loan to Brighton & Hove Albion)
Darren Quigley (U.C.D.)
Kevin Foley (Luton Town)
Stephen Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur)
Paddy McCarthy (Leicester City)
John Fitzgerald (Bury)
Alan Sheehan (Leicester City)
Stephen Paisley (Longford Town)
Willo Flood (Coventry City)
Stephen Dawson (Mansfield Town)
Gary Dicker (U.C.D.)
Liam Kearney (Cork City)
Aiden McGeady (Glasgow Celtic)
Jay Tabb (Brentford)
Kevin Doyle (Reading)
Daryl Murphy (Sunderland)
Roy O’Donovan (Cork City)

Read more at www.irishfootballonline.com (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=3524)

Poor Student
05/09/2005, 8:51 AM
Wow, our 3rd player to be called into the U-21s in a month. :eek: He deserves it imo. It's a great honour for the club. Two quite young players in the squad.

Schumi
05/09/2005, 10:12 AM
This is great to see. It really shows the work that Pete Mahon and Eddie Wallace have done in getting quality young players into the club.

Bald Student
05/09/2005, 11:22 AM
But I've often seen an eL player being brought when someone is needed on short notice. The real test will be wheather Garry stays in the squad.

pineapple stu
05/09/2005, 12:28 PM
Excellent!

An article I read there said that Quigley was called into the squad to replace Saul Deeney, who's on the bench at Notts County or something (top of Division Three). If that's the case, Quigley could be there for a while yet, as he's only 19. Which begs the question of how long before an English club comes looking for him...

Bald Student
05/09/2005, 1:07 PM
Which begs the question of how long before an English club comes looking for him...Hopefully after he's been here for two full seasons but before he turns 21.

Schumi
05/09/2005, 1:21 PM
23 isn't it?

Poor Student
05/09/2005, 1:53 PM
23 isn't it?

That's what I thought. I assume no player is likely to leave abroad before they finish their degree? I'd be more worried about someone catching onto Dicker if he plays. Some of his footwork is top class (cue Aberdonian Stu saying he's not the finished article). I imagine neither will figure in the 90 mins. However they are young and its their chance to impress Givens.

Aberdonian Stu
05/09/2005, 2:06 PM
He's not the finished article :D

pineapple stu
05/09/2005, 5:10 PM
Hopefully after he's been here for two full seasons but before he turns 21.
That's the end of this season (23 is the required age). I like this rule. If we keep giving people debuts at 18 and into the Ireland U-21 squad at 19, we're going to make a fortune! :)

Schumi
05/09/2005, 5:11 PM
But I've often seen an eL player being brought when someone is needed on short notice.
But this time it's our Eircom League player and not someone else's!

Colie
05/09/2005, 5:38 PM
The guy is a class act & defo deserves it. He's one to watch for the future.

Bald Student
05/09/2005, 6:08 PM
But this time it's our Eircom League player and not someone else's!True, though Shay Kelly and Aidan Lynch have made similar appearances.

pineapple stu
06/09/2005, 11:09 PM
Both left on the bench throughout. Still, they're only 19, so it's a good experience for them. Quigley looks like he could well become a regular is Deeney doesn't get his place back at Notts County.

pineapple stu
06/09/2005, 11:14 PM
According to the FAI website, Wayne Henderson is 22 in two weeks' time. I think he still gets to the World Cup - which we now won't be in - and then is ineligible for the U-21s. Which means Darren Quigley is set to take over as keeper! :)

CollegeTillIDie
07/09/2005, 7:36 AM
Altogether now.....Dazza, Dazza, Dazza Dazza Daaazzaaa, Dazza, Dazza a, Dazza, Dazza, Dazza, Dazza! :D

Schumi
07/09/2005, 1:53 PM
The keeper last night did well unfortunately but if he's inelligible from next year then hopefully Quigley will be first choice.

nickeyoc
07/09/2005, 1:59 PM
Unlikely!!In my experience Eircom League players never get a look in. Any players that are up to an International standard are unfortunately not playing in the Eircom League!!! :mad: