PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Rovers vs Cork City

Pages : [1] 2

ali2005
04/09/2005, 8:17 PM
I know the match isnt till the 25th, but how do ye think ye'll get on?

Rebal Boy
04/09/2005, 8:21 PM
I'd say it will be a great Cup tie. I'm looking forward to it. I'd say it will be a 2-0 win for City. Home advantage will hopefully tell for us. Is it on TG4 does anyone know?

sligoman
04/09/2005, 8:33 PM
I know the match isnt till the 25th, but how do ye think ye'll get on?23rd actually ali ;)

A face
04/09/2005, 8:34 PM
It should be a great game, both clubs are top of the table and doing well, City are favourites alright but Sligo will being playing a good brand of football, judging from what i have seen of them so far this season.

Cant wait for it !! :ball: :p

redman
04/09/2005, 8:41 PM
I'd say it will be a great Cup tie. I'm looking forward to it. I'd say it will be a 2-0 win for City. Home advantage will hopefully tell for us. Is it on TG4 does anyone know?

Yes I've been informed from a good source that the game is on TG4.

ccfcgirl
04/09/2005, 8:43 PM
Would ye think there will be much Sligo fans coming to the Cross

Rebal Boy
04/09/2005, 8:52 PM
Yes I've been informed from a good source that the game is on TG4.

It won't mean much to me. I'll still be there cherring on my beloved City into the Sami Finals. :p Its good that matches are been showen live.

redman
04/09/2005, 9:10 PM
I think a lot of us are still trying to get our head around the journey and how to get there. I'm sure we will have a big army of fans at the game. Our blood is up after the St.Pats game.

I'm going togther with 8 other members of the family. Looking forward to a great match and a famous victory for us.

yan
04/09/2005, 9:57 PM
it reminds me of the kilkenny cup game a few seasons ago at the cross :o :o

hopefully im wrong tho!!!!

Schunter Netz
04/09/2005, 10:06 PM
I remember that one - City had about 500 corners in the second half but the method was crude and the bloody ball wouldn't go in the net despite the efforts of Derek Coughlan's head and urgings of the paltry attendance. Grim times indeed. Was that the season when we didn't score at home from Christmas till the last game and the attendance one Sunday afternoon (nil-all) was 29?

Troy.McClure
04/09/2005, 10:35 PM
Was that the season when we didn't score at home from Christmas till the last game and the attendance one Sunday afternoon (nil-all) was 29?

29? Ive never been to a City game with less than 900 (UCD, January, crap form, rainy Sunday). I went to all the home games around that time and think that you might have your facts wrong there (although Im no statto).

I remember the Kilkenny goalie taking an age with each kick out, the worst case of time waisting Ive ever seen (form the first half onwards). One of the City directors threw the ball at him before one kick out when he was taking his sweet time over getting it from behind the goal. Porbably the most frustrating match Ive been at. :mad:

patsh
05/09/2005, 7:50 AM
29? Ive never been to a City game with less than 900 (UCD, January, crap form, rainy Sunday). I went to all the home games around that time and think that you might have your facts wrong there (although Im no statto).

I remember the Kilkenny goalie taking an age with each kick out, the worst case of time waisting Ive ever seen (form the first half onwards). One of the City directors threw the ball at him before one kick out when he was taking his sweet time over getting it from behind the goal. Porbably the most frustrating match Ive been at. :mad:
29 is a huge exaggeration, but during the 4 month goaless run there were some fairly dire attendances alright. The lowest attendandance I can remember is for the League Cup 1/4 final against Limerick, when they won 1 - 0. I think there were about 300 at that horrible nightmare of a game.

pete
05/09/2005, 10:41 AM
If Sligo come down & play football they will lose. If you want to beat City at the cross will have to adopt Longford all players behind the ball & hoofball 'tactics'.

patsh
05/09/2005, 10:48 AM
If Sligo come down & play football they will lose. If you want to beat City at the cross will have to adopt Longford all players behind the ball & hoofball 'tactics'.
A nil all draw would suit them I think.
It really is up to us to break them down, no matter what tactics they use.
If we are "up" for the game we will win well, if we are lethargic like the first game against Harps, we will struggle big time.

sligoman
05/09/2005, 12:40 PM
If Sligo come down & play football they will lose. If you want to beat City at the cross will have to adopt Longford all players behind the ball & hoofball 'tactics'.Nope. We dont play hoofball. We're one of the only FD teams that like to pass it around not hoof it. Most teams are hoofers and this is why playing against St. Pat's gave a chance to play like we want too :)

Éanna
05/09/2005, 1:09 PM
Really looking forward to this, I was hoping it would be away, as I've never been to the Showgrounds. Guess I'll have to wait for next season though. I think City will win an entertaining game by a goal or two.

sligoman
05/09/2005, 1:16 PM
I'm raging I'm going to miss this :mad: . Part of me wants a replay cos then I'll be back for that but the other half just want's to come away with a victory. :)

jimhacker
05/09/2005, 1:20 PM
I think a lot of us are still trying to get our head around the journey and how to get there. I'm sure we will have a big army of fans at the game. Our blood is up after the St.Pats game.

I'm going togther with 8 other members of the family. Looking forward to a great match and a famous victory for us.

How to get here?

As far as I know, the last time ye needed to make this particular trip, ye used one of mr. Bianconi's coaches.

sligoman
05/09/2005, 1:21 PM
As far as I know, the last time ye needed to make this particular trip, ye used one of mr. Bianconi's coaches.:confused: :confused:

patsh
05/09/2005, 2:09 PM
Bianconi coaches were the common form of transport in 19th century Ireland.

"I think a lot of us are still trying to get our head around the journey and how to get there"
is a rather bizarre statement, as there are trains, planes, buses and automobiles that can find their way to Cork now, so Mr. Hacker was having a gentle dig at the poster.

sligoman
05/09/2005, 3:23 PM

"I think a lot of us are still trying to get our head around the journey and how to get there"
is a rather bizarre statement, as there are trains, planes, buses and automobiles that can find their way to Cork now, so Mr. Hacker was having a gentle dig at the poster.ah, ok :o

ccfcgirl
05/09/2005, 7:44 PM
TG4 are going to show the game.

redman
10/09/2005, 1:18 PM

is a rather bizarre statement, as there are trains, planes, buses and automobiles that can find their way to Cork now, so Mr. Hacker was having a gentle dig at the poster.

Send us a copy of the time table for the trains and planes for the Sligo/Cork route...good lad!

betty swollox
14/09/2005, 5:21 PM
anyone know any decent hostels(or maybe even a dirt cheap hotel) near city centre /turners cross?theres about 10 of us aged between 19 and 22 and any info would be much appreciated

Rory H
19/09/2005, 12:40 PM
and so it begins

top vrs top

its on

razor
19/09/2005, 12:43 PM
I know the match isnt till the 25th, but how do ye think ye'll get on?whats with the thread name?
are City away?

patsh
19/09/2005, 1:55 PM
anyone know any decent hostels(or maybe even a dirt cheap hotel) near city centre /turners cross?theres about 10 of us aged between 19 and 22 and any info would be much appreciated
Try http://www.kinlayhouse.ie/, it's about 3 minutes walk from Patrick's Street and easy to get to from any nightclub...;)

Will you lot be expecting a win, a draw or a loss?

ccfcman
19/09/2005, 4:20 PM
I bet this will be one of the classic matches at the Cross, I genuinely feel these are the two most similiar teams in the entire eircom Irish setup.

Yes there's 10 or so positions between us atm but realistically once sligo are up, expect them to hold their own :)

The Stars
19/09/2005, 4:23 PM
believe it...

Bravo
19/09/2005, 6:32 PM
Is The cross fairly central? how far is it from the city center? (Taxi)

pete
19/09/2005, 7:07 PM
Is The cross fairly central? how far is it from the city center? (Taxi)

5-10 minutes max. Patricks St to the cross would be like getting to Dalymount from O'Connell Bridge. 30 minutes walk at most if knew where you were going.

1 9 2 8
19/09/2005, 7:34 PM
What's the Best nite clubs/pubs in Cork? Are you allowed to wear football shirts into them?

ccfcman
19/09/2005, 9:35 PM
Depends on age, for students 18-21 BluBambu, for 21+ her for Hevana Browns, theyre dead strict though :/

RedX
19/09/2005, 9:43 PM
What's the Best nite clubs/pubs in Cork? Are you allowed to wear football shirts into them?

Taxi to Turners X from Patricks Street will cost you around 6/7 euro tops...Jerseys of any kind in clubs in Cork City are probably no-go...Bouncers in this City are fairly poor...depends on what age you are for a list of pubs you would enjoy..Enjoy the night whatever the result... :)

1 9 2 8
19/09/2005, 11:09 PM
Jerseys of any kind in clubs in Cork City are probably no-go...Bouncers in this City are fairly poor
The same as Sligo so :(

A face
19/09/2005, 11:47 PM
The same as Sligo so :(

Some clubs, people are dying to get into so dont get SideTraked !! :eek:

paudie
20/09/2005, 1:05 PM
Try http://www.kinlayhouse.ie/, it's about 3 minutes walk from Patrick's Street and easy to get to from any nightclub...;)

Walked past that place once. Looks really nice inside.

Brilliant address as well - "Bob & Joan's Walk, Shandon" :D

SRFC Head
20/09/2005, 2:08 PM
Whats the commute like from Dublin - Cork on a friday, what time would I have to leave dublin to be there comfortably before the match ??

showgies
20/09/2005, 2:17 PM
Is there an away end at Turners for us Bit o'Red's ?

patsh
20/09/2005, 2:18 PM
Whats the commute like from Dublin - Cork on a friday, what time would I have to leave dublin to be there comfortably before the match ??
Around 2, to be sure, to be sure....:p

paudie
20/09/2005, 2:29 PM

Not an end. Just a corner section of the stand you see on TV. TBH I'd say the view is pretty poor as there's no height and you're right in the corner.

Pablo
20/09/2005, 2:33 PM

yeah. about 200-300 seats opposite the main stand. completely segregated. you'll have to enter the Cross from the St Annes end

patsh
21/09/2005, 10:58 AM
Are all Sligo players fit and ready for the game, will yo lot have a full team out?

The Stars
21/09/2005, 11:34 AM
We have Foley suspended.....kinda our workhorse in midfield but Steve Feeney will probably come in for him.
Sean Flannery is a doubt but may play with a face mask as he is nursing an injury.

Redzer
21/09/2005, 3:46 PM
I'm too lazy to look, I'm sure its on here already but can someone give me the best directions, traveling by car, from the Limerick road (N20 I think,) direct to the Cross. Thanks.

RedX
21/09/2005, 6:17 PM
I'm too lazy to look, I'm sure its on here already but can someone give me the best directions, traveling by car, from the Limerick road (N20 I think,) direct to the Cross. Thanks.

Too lazy?...buy a map then because i am to tired to remember.. ;) ...you swear you are playing in Nigeria..follow the road signs will ya.. :confused:

A face
21/09/2005, 9:19 PM
Its all on www.corkcityfc.ie anyway !!

Fair_play_boy
21/09/2005, 11:39 PM
I remember that one - City had about 500 corners in the second half but the method was crude and the bloody ball wouldn't go in the net despite the efforts of Derek Coughlan's head and urgings of the paltry attendance. Grim times indeed. Was that the season when we didn't score at home from Christmas till the last game and the attendance one Sunday afternoon (nil-all) was 29?Heaven help us. That sounds like it was before the flood. How in the name of God did the club pull itself up from that lowly position? It must be wonderful for Derek to be playing now in front of several thousand.

Fair_play_boy
21/09/2005, 11:42 PM
I'm too lazy to look, I'm sure its on here already but can someone give me the best directions, traveling by car, from the Limerick road (N20 I think,) direct to the Cross. Thanks.Keep driving until you reach the river. Not the Lee, but the river of CCFC supporters who will all be heading in the one direction.

patsh
22/09/2005, 7:18 AM
Heaven help us. That sounds like it was before the flood. How in the name of God did the club pull itself up from that lowly position? It must be wonderful for Derek to be playing now in front of several thousand.
FPB, there was NEVER a City game at the Cross with only 29 in attendance.The lowest I ever remember is the LC 1/4 final against Limerick a few years ago, with a crowd of about 300.
A sh*tty, wet, dark Sunday afternoon, a loss to Limerick who were rock bottom of the 1st division, just about as depressing as it gets, but not quite as bad as 29.