PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Final 23

SÓC
17/04/2002, 1:37 PM
What would people chose for their final 23 in the World Cup.

I would have

given, kiely, kelly,

stan, cunningham, breen, dunne, o'shea, finnan, harte, kelly,

jason mac, roy keane, kinsella, holland, kilbane, reid, healy,

quinn, duff, keane, connolly, morrison.

Anyone who was at the Ireland Denmark U-21 match saw that O'Shea was a different class to most other Irish defenders never mind the rest of the U-21s.

Connolly is no where near international class but I would include ahead of Crowe because of his experience.

Aon smaointí?

Neil
17/04/2002, 1:42 PM
I'd probably have Carsley before Reid.

mouldymurphy
17/04/2002, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc

Connolly is no where near international class but I would include ahead of Crowe because of his experience.

isn't it a pitty big noel hung up his boots before the world cup and not after:D :D :D

pete
17/04/2002, 2:12 PM
What would people chose for their final 23 in the World Cup. I would have

given, kiely, kelly,

I hink you very close to the final 23. McCarthy has said he'll bring those that got us to the finals. Surprisingly this includes Carsley who only played in 1 game.

O'Shea won't make the squad as he not even making the friendly squads. If Carsley makes it its hard to see how Helay will although Mick has been playing him a bit in recent friendlies.

Carsley & Connolly have consistently shown no matter how good their club form they not international standard.

When Mick brought Doherty (HE IS A DEFENDER) into the squad this week as a forward ended any hope Glen Crowe might have of ever making a squad while he plays in the eL. Crowe may not be good enough but when you see Connolly get so many chances & failing to perform its amazing he not worthy of a chance to show what he can do.

gustavo
17/04/2002, 3:10 PM
given, kiely, kelly,

i think mick will bring delap and carsley ahead of healy and reid

apart form that i think ya got it spot on!

MikeW
17/04/2002, 3:55 PM
He shouldn't bring Carsley at all, he's dire in the extreme but he probably will go anyway. He should take Healy instead, but having said that taking a diseased chimpanzee instead of Carsley would be a good move. I've hated Carsley ever since that time when he decided to have a kip on the ground in our own penalty box against the Turks, then rolled over and picked the ball up for no apparent reason giving the Turks a penalty when they otherwise would never have scored.

SÓC
17/04/2002, 4:52 PM
I included O'Shea but McCarthy wont bring him which is a shame considering England are seriously considering bring Wes Browne, who O'Shea is now ahead of in the Man Utd squad.

Carsley and Connolly are IMO no better that say Crowe and Hunt.

I wonder could Hunt qualify to play for Ireland?Is he living here long enough? He he got his wife preggers he'd probally be allowed claim for Ireland:D :D :D

kilbrin
17/04/2002, 5:06 PM
I think that you are being a bit harsh on Connolly
IMO he is a very good player.

Andy O Brien should go instead of Dunne and O shea hasn't a chance.

pete
17/04/2002, 6:19 PM
Connolly & Carsley are not good enough for international football.

It matters little what they do at club level as they (particularily Connolly) have had chance after chance without justifying their position in the squad.

Connollys pedigree isn't even that good at club level. Sure he was still in the irish squad while playing in the dutch 2nd division. By all accounts from people i've heard have seen games in that division it about irish 1st division standard.

If Crowe scored hat-tricks in europe & 50 goals McCarthy still wouldn't try him. I'm still not saying he necessarily better then whats there but won't know til try him.........

BTW why does Mick still persist with the idea Doherty is a dual-player? Spurs only played him as a forward cos of injury crisis.

Seanie
17/04/2002, 9:33 PM
I wonder could Hunt qualify to play for Ireland?Is he living here long enough? He he got his wife preggers he'd probally be allowed claim for Ireland:D :D :D [/B]
Why would Hunt declare since he's a central midfielder and hasn't got a hope of making a squad unless at least five or six midfielders pulled out.

Seanie
17/04/2002, 9:45 PM
MY SQUAD:
Given, Kiely, Kelly

Finnan, Kelly, Staunton, Cunningham, O'Brien, Breen, Harte, O'Shea/Doherty/Dunne

McAteer, Keane, Kinsella, Holland, Healy, Kilbane, Reid/Carsley

Keane, Duff, Morrison, Quinn, Connolly

I believe that O'Shea should be an automatic, but in practical terms doesn't have a chance unless he plays in European Cup final! I think that Doherty might go ahead of Dunne if Quinn is not fully fit. Carsley inclusion ahead of Reid may well depend on Keane's fitness.

Éanna
18/04/2002, 1:16 PM
given, kiely, kelly,

staunton, cunningham, breen, doherty, o'shea, finnan, harte, kelly,

quinn, duff, keane, crowe, morrison.

Thats what I figure- won't happen though. Pity steve carr is out, he's a class player. For the record I think: Dunne, Staunton, Breen and Harte should be nowhere near the squad, but we're short of options. I'm including Doherty in case something happens to Quinn, with Stan launching missiles at the opposition, we need a tall man up there.

As for a starting XI I'd play:
Given,
Finnan (Carr if he was fit), O'Shea, Cunningham, Harte:rolleyes:

McAteer, Keane, Kinsella, Duff

Quinn, Keane

pete
18/04/2002, 4:30 PM
I think Staunton has done quiet well since rejoining the starting eleven. Think hes playing week in week out at Aston Villa now which helps. I know he hits the odd long ball but no more so than any of our defenders. He is good on the ball & hits a mean freekick when needed.

I think he may even make the starting eleven for Cameroon.

kilbrin
18/04/2002, 4:50 PM
Has everyone forgotten about Irelands best defender Phil Babb.

Sporting invite McCarthy to check on Babb
24 February 2002

By Sports.com's CATHAL DERVAN

Mick McCarthy has been invited to Portugal to check out the forgotten man of Ireland's World Cup bid.

And the host with the invite to the sun is prepared to put his money where his mouth is and offer Phil Babb a new contract as Sporting Lisbon head for the Portuguese title.

Phil Babb is looking to Japan (Sports.com)
Sporting's Romanian born coach Lazslo Boloni is ready to extend Babb's exile with a new four year deal worth over a million to the former Liverpool, Coventry and Millwall defender.

Boloni said: "We want Phil Babb to stay at Sporting and we want to see him at the World Cup finals with Ireland.

"He has been one of the star players in our defence this season and we believe he is playing well enough to earn a new contract."

Babb hasn't played for the Republic since his much publicised Harcourt Street misdemeanours with Mark Kennedy back in September 2000.

The two were banned by McCarthy after they damaged a Garda's car during a late night binge just days before the opening World Cup qualifier against Holland.

Kennedy has since worked his way back into McCarthy's plans and is tipped to be on the plane for Japan in May.

And McCarthy has plans to take Sporting up on their offer and watch Babb before he names his final World Cup squad.

"I have heard the reports about Phil and I have always said that the door is open to any player playing well enough with his club to get into the squad," said McCarthy who may now consider Babb for the Match friendly against Denmark.

From sports.com

pete
18/04/2002, 5:18 PM
"I have heard the reports about Phil and I have always said that the door is open to any player playing well enough with his club to get into the squad," said McCarthy who may now consider Babb for the Match friendly against Denmark.

Kind of stupid McCarthy hasn't been checking him out. I don't know how his doing in Portugal but i'm not the irish manager (yet :D ) and it has to be better than the english 1st division.

Oh yeah and PLEASE NOT KENNEDY he of the one ok game in 10-15 appearances.

The Legend
18/04/2002, 9:36 PM
So this is how our defense stands as i see it...

IN:

Dunne -> Donkey (& First Div Player)
Cunningham - > Donkey (& First Div Player)
Breen - > Donkey (& First Div Player)
Staunton - > Not as much of a Donkey as 4 yrs ago, but still prone to mistakes... (On the way out after this world cup)

OUT:

Doherty -> Great Potential (Will be Top Premiership defender)
O'Shea - > Great Potential (Will be Top Premiership defender)
O"Brien-> Done well this year (Top Premiership defender)

So i can understand that the donkeys carried us through the qualifiers and half deserve to play in the world cup... but dont you wish the world cup was in 2004.

Legend.

Éanna
19/04/2002, 1:26 PM
Agree with you on most of that, but I think Cunningham is a very good player. Pity is he's really a full-back so he isn't at his most effective when he plays for Ireland.

Seanie
19/04/2002, 1:37 PM
But O'Brien will certainly go to the World Cup. Rumour has it that Everton are lining up a bid for Gary Breen - first Carsley and now Breen - I suppose Connolly will be next!!

vlad
19/04/2002, 3:10 PM
I reckon squad will be:
Given Kelly Kiely
Finnan Kelly Harte Staunton Breen Cunningham Dunne O'Brien
Keane Kinsella Holland Carsley McAteer Kilbane Kennedy
Duff Quinn Morrison Keane Connolly

McCarthy shown his loyalty to players throughout his time in charge and this wont change. Reid and Healy will lose out on this basis to Kennedy and Carsley. O' Brien will deservedly edge out O' Shea on basis of amount of top quality games he has played this season.

The Legend
19/04/2002, 7:44 PM
I read some report that Healy was edging both doherty and O'Brien out of the squad... now thats a shame..

...despite good reports i didnt see him do much against the US...

Am i wrong?

pete
21/04/2002, 8:39 PM
Doherty will not make the squad - Mick has said as much.

I still think Reid & Healy may make the squad as they've played a lot recently in contrast to Carsley & Kennedy.

Kennedy has got way too many free rides by McCarthy loyalty can only go so far. Just cos you can cut it in the english 1st division doesn't always mean you can make the jump to international level.