PDA

View Full Version : Ireland, team updates

sligoman
03/09/2005, 5:16 PM
The Republic of Ireland squad trained today at Malahide United's Gannon Park,
with Kevin Kilbane taking no part in the session.

Andy O'Brien did some training, although Brian Kerr described the defender as still 'a little weak'.

Matt Holland and Damien Duff did not train with the team but worked separately, with Holland protecting his ribs and Duff training in the gym.

Captain Kenny Cunningham took full part in training while Kilbane, who has a virus, was confined to bed for the day.

Colbert Report
03/09/2005, 5:17 PM
not good.

our best player, Duff, is almost certainly out.

3/4 of our defence is shaky at best

Our full backs will probably be Harte at LB and Carr at RB, not exactly scary

Colbert Report
03/09/2005, 5:46 PM
from independent.ie

Duff tops Kerr pain game
Saturday September 3rd 2005

Cunningham, O'Brien and Finnan struggling too

DAMIEN DUFF tops a major injury crisis for Brian Kerr ahead of Ireland's World Cup qualifier against France in Lansdowne Road next Wednesday.

Worryingly, star winger Duff heads the list with a freak knee injury picked up training with Chelsea on Thursday, and will almost certainly miss the match.

Duff postponed his plans to travel to Dublin on Thursday and cancelled a promotional event yesterday to stay in London for treatment.

He linked up with the Irish squad in Portmarnock yesterday evening and Kerr admitted that the injury was a serious blow to Irelands qualification hopes.

"It's a major problem, I can't see him playing on that knee," acknowledged Kerr, never one for conceding much ground on the fitness front in the build-up to big games.

Stuttgart88
03/09/2005, 5:59 PM
I don't bloody believe it. Any chance this is just Kerr playing mind games with the French? What was Duff doing training with Chelsea on Thursday anyway?

FarBeag
03/09/2005, 6:11 PM
Oh Fcuk that.Hopefully its not as bad as Kerr suggests.

Colbert Report
03/09/2005, 6:13 PM
Kilbane looks to be in some pain also

independent.ie

Kevin Kilbane missed Ireland training with Brian Kerr's Republic of Ireland squad today in Malahide with a virus.

Andy O'Brien and Matt Holland trained lightly due to injuries, with Duff sitting the day out amid concerns he will miss the match

Kenny Cunningham took full part in training and Kerr is confident that all but Duff will be fit to play in Ireland's crunch Group 6 qualifier against France in Lansdowne Road on Wednesday.

Stuttgart88
03/09/2005, 6:16 PM
Ireland.com & breakingnews.ie both more positive on Duff. No mention at all of Duff on rte.ie.

The optimist tells me Kerr is trying to create the same psychological boost that thr French have been given.

Poor Student
03/09/2005, 6:16 PM
Sligoman you could have put a heart warning on this topic. :(

Volcán Masaya
03/09/2005, 6:20 PM
Sligoman you could have put a heart warning on this topic. :(

I'll second that. Mine dropped onto the floor and is somewhere under the desk.

Any chance this is a mind game being played by Kerr?

Think, we need to start the Novenas lads, who wants to lead the first round?

tricky_colour
03/09/2005, 6:22 PM
Ii can't believe it either, especially about Duff, how can he possibly
miss this game. Whatever happens we have never been a one man team
so we will cope whatever happens and midfield is our strongest area.

geysir
03/09/2005, 6:42 PM
from independent.ie

Duff tops Kerr pain game
Saturday September 3rd 2005

Worryingly, star winger Duff heads the list with a freak knee injury picked up training with Chelsea on Thursday, and will almost certainly miss the match.
Duff postponed his plans to travel to Dublin on Thursday and cancelled a promotional event yesterday to stay in London for treatment.
He linked up with the Irish squad in Portmarnock yesterday evening and Kerr admitted that the injury was a serious blow to Irelands qualification hopes.
"It's a major problem, I can't see him playing on that knee," acknowledged Kerr, never one for conceding much ground on the fitness front in the build-up to big games.

Vega, What the fxck are you doing tampering with the article in the Indo?
What the Indo wrote
Worryingly, star winger Duff heads the list with a freak knee injury picked up training with Chelsea on Thursday.
He linked up with the Irish squad in Portmarnock yesterday evening and Kerr admitted that the injury was a cause for concern.
"It's a bit of a problem," acknowledged Kerr, never one for conceding much ground on the fitness front in the build-up to big games."But the club were quite happy for him to come over. He might need a couple of days rest," he added.

Colbert Report
03/09/2005, 6:43 PM
a little bored, thought i'd have some fun

sorry guys

geysir
03/09/2005, 6:52 PM

sorry guys
If you feel bored again please go and play with Pablo instead :)

Stuttgart88
03/09/2005, 7:10 PM
Vega, you nearly sent my missus into labour!

Colbert Report
03/09/2005, 7:11 PM
In all seriousness, if he can't play the full match I can't see us winning without a miracle

Volcán Masaya
03/09/2005, 7:14 PM

sorry guys

Fuxake........ would someone closer give this fella a good kick in the hole for me!
:)

Colbert Report
03/09/2005, 7:14 PM
one nil france..........cisse header

thejollyrodger
03/09/2005, 7:37 PM
I don't bloody believe it. Any chance this is just Kerr playing mind games with the French? What was Duff doing training with Chelsea on Thursday anyway?
Yes its all mind games. He did the same thing before with Keane or someone. Duff only "slightly" injured himself in a chelsea training session.

As for holland.. no major loss there tbf

I hope O brien is ok. Dunne would be too much of a wild card IMO

thejollyrodger
03/09/2005, 7:40 PM
FT Switzerland 1 - 1 Israel
39' France 2 - 0 Faroe Islands

good result there with the draw. France are hardly setting the world alight, 1 goal from cisse and 1 own goal. I expect them to be 3 or 4 nill ahead eventually scoring 5 or 6. :confused:

brine3
03/09/2005, 8:09 PM
Killer's stomach bug was true though, right?

Colbert Report
03/09/2005, 8:13 PM
yes......

tricky_colour
03/09/2005, 8:28 PM
A stomach bug shouldn't be a problem, probably a bad pint of guiness.

livehead1
03/09/2005, 11:21 PM

sorry guys

you tw*t

Colbert Report
03/09/2005, 11:26 PM
go buy a sense of humour already

Fergie's Son
04/09/2005, 11:52 AM
It's not about having a sense of humour but about you being a complete arsehole for doctoring an article. A lot of people are excited/nervous about this match and the last thing people come onto these boards for is to have some child (e.g. you) make things up.

Go away.

eirebhoy
04/09/2005, 2:13 PM
vega - that was a foolish thing to do. I know it was only a joke but I phoned a couple of people already to tell them that Duff will miss the match. They've probably told others. I have to phone them back now to tell them its a false alarm. :o

Cowboy
04/09/2005, 2:25 PM

sorry guys

yeah you should be sorry

Cowboy
04/09/2005, 2:27 PM
go buy a sense of humour already
go buy a sense of acceptable behaviour

geysir
04/09/2005, 3:23 PM
vega - that was a foolish thing to do. I know it was only a joke but I phoned a couple of people already to tell them that Duff will miss the match. They've probably told others. I have to phone them back now to tell them its a false alarm. :o
You know what Jolly might say, don't believe all you read. :)

eirebhoy
04/09/2005, 3:32 PM
According to this (http://www.fff.fr/bleus/251927.shtml), Cisse will have to sit out training for the next few days.

tetsujin1979
04/09/2005, 3:48 PM
Translation from babelfish:

Raymond Domenech: "an exciting poster"

This morning in the center of Gaillette (62), Raymond Domenech (photo) reconsidered the victory of Blue yesterday vis-a-vis to the Faroe Islands in Lens (3-0). He also stressed that the next match vis-a-vis in Ireland Wednesday was with the range of its players, even if the quality of the adversary is quite real.

"Djibril Cissé was touched with ankle and it will have to rest until Wednesday. This morning, I also had a discussion with Florent Malouda (photo) at the time of the cleansing, on tactical aspects. Against the Faroe ones, one made per moments some errors, but that was due to the context. We opened the mark quickly, then marked one second time, which can explain a certain relaxation then. To 2-0 with the pause, we thought already of the duel of Wednesday vis-a-vis in Ireland.

Concerning environment in Dublin, the French players are accustomed there. They evolve/move in the largest European clubs and know this context. They are exciting posters to dispute. It is necessary to bring back a positive result of this displacement. This go is the second of the four determining matches for the qualification. It is not more important than the matches vis-a-vis in Switzerland and Cyprus. It will count like the others, with three points to be taken.

One always was in a logic of evolution since the beginning, and the returns of Zidane, Makelele and Thuram contribute to it. One always progresses each time. It is also smelled that a life of group was created. I hope that it will last longest possible, until mid-July 2006."

sligoman
04/09/2005, 4:22 PM
Ireland have received a boost with all players with fitness concerns heading
in the right direction and taking some part in training today.

Damien Duff, who had been bothered by a knee injury, managed some light jogging at today's session in Malahide.

Everton's Kevin Kilbane - who was laid low by a virus - did some light work aswell. Fellow central midfielder Matt Holland also appears be to be on the mend from a rib injury.

Portsmouth's Andy O'Brien also took full part in the session in the north Dublin town.

geysir
04/09/2005, 9:00 PM
How about this quote from Cisse with literal translation.

Sur le terrain, je me suis senti bien. On a pris du plaisir avec cette belle victoire.
On the ground, I smelled myself well. One took pleasure with this beautiful victory.