PDA

View Full Version : LOI TV Coverage 2024

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

yurt
18/01/2024, 1:28 AM
Couple of articles in the media today about an increase in televised fixtures for next season.

Virgin are set to show at least 14 games:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/virgin-media-to-double-amount-of-league-of-ireland-games-shown-live-for-2024-season/a1961127277.html

In addition to those 14 games, Scanlon confirmed RTÉ are set to show 18 league games with a further four in the cup, while an announcement regarding TG4’s Women’s Premier Division coverage for 2024 is also expected in the coming days.

It looks like we are actually very near having a televised game a week, which would be massive for the league.

Scanlon calling it like it is saying that we're only going to see a handful of grounds across the ~45 domestic games he's estimating will be broadcast in 2024.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/league-of-ireland-director-mark-scanlon-admits-half-of-grounds-are-not-fit-for-live-tv-broadcasts/a379120392.html

D24Saint
18/01/2024, 8:52 AM
The Thursday night game will be something most fans will be eager to avoid I reckon. It was tried by Dundalk I think but definitely Derry and wasn’t popular.

nigel-harps1954
18/01/2024, 9:28 AM
It'll be interesting to see viewer numbers from standalone games but Thursday and Monday nights are a poor choice for games.

sbgawa
18/01/2024, 9:35 AM
I doubt Scanlon was raising the issue of 5 grounds only being good enough for TV lightly, it was getting it out there early.
So lets assume no games from Dundalk or Drogs and very limited say 4 from Waterford/Galway
That means 41 games from the other 6 teams....average of 7 each..........maybe my Maths is wrong but id say thta means at least 9 of Rovers 18 home games will be on TV..
This could be a serious loss of Crowds for Rovers and for other clubs as well.
Dont like to be negative but the complete lack of compensation for clubs has to change. regarding Thursday matches , any match not on a Friday in Tallaght is normally at 50% of the Friday crowds....plenty to think about

kksaints
18/01/2024, 9:47 AM
I doubt Scanlon was raising the issue of 5 grounds only being good enough for TV lightly, it was getting it out there early.
So lets assume no games from Dundalk or Drogs and very limited say 4 from Waterford/Galway
That means 41 games from the other 6 teams....average of 7 each..........maybe my Maths is wrong but id say thta means at least 9 of Rovers 18 home games will be on TV..
This could be a serious loss of Crowds for Rovers and for other clubs as well.
Dont like to be negative but the complete lack of compensation for clubs has to change. regarding Thursday matches , any match not on a Friday in Tallaght is normally at 50% of the Friday crowds....plenty to think about

Are the Thursday matches that are to be televised on the dates where the matches are already scheduled for the Thursday due to the Euros or a completely separate Thursday? If I was to experiment with a Thursday match Bohs vs us in Dalymount seems like the best option as it would be highly likely to sell out regardless of the day of the week due to Dalymount's current capacity.

TonyD
18/01/2024, 9:53 AM
I have some sympathy for the TV companies as regards Thursday and Monday games. After all, people complain when games are on a Friday when they clash with the rest of the fixtures. Maybe Saturday evening would be better than Thursday though.

yurt
18/01/2024, 11:40 AM
I would say we shouldn't write anything off on the basis it didn't work pre 2020. Completely different set of circumstances in place now all of a sudden.

The game being moved to Thursday is certainly not for the benefit of the match going fans. It's to try and maximize the tv viewership numbers.

I am hopeful the Thursday night might work out. PL fans view midweek football as bonus football, which is why I'd say the league cup is generally enjoyed more than the initial rounds of the FA Cup which gets in the way of the 'real football'.

You'd imagine that any of the Dublin or Louth derbies (facilities being the issue) would be have a decent crowd for tv even on a Thursday.

nigel-harps1954
18/01/2024, 11:40 AM
Are the Thursday matches that are to be televised on the dates where the matches are already scheduled for the Thursday due to the Euros or a completely separate Thursday? If I was to experiment with a Thursday match Bohs vs us in Dalymount seems like the best option as it would be highly likely to sell out regardless of the day of the week due to Dalymount's current capacity.

Thursday 23rd May is the date chosen. Shouldn't really clash with anything, but the Europa League final is scheduled for the day before in Dublin.

Games scheduled that weekend are

Bohs v St Pats
Derry v Sligo
Galway v Dundalk
Waterford v Drogheda
Shamrock Rovers v Shelbourne

oriel
18/01/2024, 3:46 PM
Couple of articles in the media today about an increase in televised fixtures for next season.

Virgin are set to show at least 14 games:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/virgin-media-to-double-amount-of-league-of-ireland-games-shown-live-for-2024-season/a1961127277.html

It looks like we are actually very near having a televised game a week, which would be massive for the league.

Scanlon calling it like it is saying that we're only going to see a handful of grounds across the ~45 domestic games he's estimating will be broadcast in 2024.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/league-of-ireland-director-mark-scanlon-admits-half-of-grounds-are-not-fit-for-live-tv-broadcasts/a379120392.html

But is it really, with no TV deal clubs are getting nothing for this, TV may be paying FAI something but clubs are essentially handing over free broadcasting rights.

Should be something like 5k for the home team and make it a 1k for interest for the away side, whatever the future breakdown that's up to a deal to be agreed, but as things stands its €0.00 to all clubs.

Nesta99
18/01/2024, 5:07 PM
There should of course be something for being shown on TV. Its reality that it can impact numbers going to a game, particularly away support and its is those additional numbers that Dundalk eg get significant benefit. I dont think it should be presented as compensation for a drop in attendance rather than rights to broadcast the sporting product.

There isnt nothing in it for clubs, it is additional opportunity to exploit - those selling ground naming rights will sell easier or get a premium more for broadcast games imo. Viewership numbers and the spread of those people could be better brand exposure for a sponsor than the same or similar people week in week out at games. Its another selling point at minimum and even if games are not broadcast from the ground regularly there could be key games that will, fixture lists flashed up and score updates with a company name featuring each time, if a game is being host then main and grond sponsors are all over the place.

EatYerGreens
18/01/2024, 7:13 PM
There should of course be something for being shown on TV. Its reality that it can impact numbers going to a game, particularly away support and its is those additional numbers that Dundalk eg get significant benefit. I dont think it should be presented as compensation for a drop in attendance rather than rights to broadcast the sporting product.

There isnt nothing in it for clubs, it is additional opportunity to exploit - those selling ground naming rights will sell easier or get a premium more for broadcast games imo. Viewership numbers and the spread of those people could be better brand exposure for a sponsor than the same or similar people week in week out at games. Its another selling point at minimum and even if games are not broadcast from the ground regularly there could be key games that will, fixture lists flashed up and score updates with a company name featuring each time, if a game is being host then main and grond sponsors are all over the place.

I think it's easy to over-egg the impact of TV for LOI clubs. Firstly - it's too late for the next seaosnn or two to do anything to take advantage of this anouncement of increased coverage. Multi-year sponsorship and stadium deals are already done, so there will be limited positive impact re sponsorship for a few years. The second thing is that coverage of the LOI is oftenn inconsistent and rather sporadic. Yes - it's going up for this seaosn. But it could easily be reduced again in future years, as that is what has happened previously. As a business person i wouldn't be digging deeper into my pocket on the possibility of increased future exposure that may well never arise.

Balanced against the long-term, hypothetical positive impact of TV games is the short-term, demonstrable negative impact of reduced gate receipts, reduced matchday inncome etc. The clubs for whom being on TV would work out best are those with severe capacity constraints - e.g. Bohs and Pats. They would have little or nothing to lose from it, as they'd probably sell out their games regardless anyway. Rovers will probably struggle to sell out all or almost all their games this year, so being on TV would probably cost them money overall in reduced attendances.

Buckett
18/01/2024, 7:35 PM
Scanlon confirmed at the launch that Virgin were paying for the rights.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/12016146/virgin-media-league-of-ireland-coverage-2024/

Knocklyonhoop
18/01/2024, 10:52 PM
I think the Thursday trial is a real positive. Most LoI fans will surely tune in. With no other football on and it not being a Friday (more people out on a fri) will hopefully see good numbers tuning in.

they need to pick the right match and I’d say Bohs Pats or Rovers Shels which should both sell out regardless of tv

EatYerGreens
19/01/2024, 12:45 AM
Scanlon confirmed at the launch that Virgin were paying for the rights.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/12016146/virgin-media-league-of-ireland-coverage-2024/

But paying who - the clubs or the FAI?

And if it's clubs, will it be enough to make up for a reduced attendance?

outspoken
19/01/2024, 8:16 AM
But paying who - the clubs or the FAI?

And if it's clubs, will it be enough to make up for a reduced attendance?

The FAI

Nesta99
19/01/2024, 4:59 PM
I think it's easy to over-egg the impact of TV for LOI clubs. Firstly - it's too late for the next seaosnn or two to do anything to take advantage of this anouncement of increased coverage. Multi-year sponsorship and stadium deals are already done, so there will be limited positive impact re sponsorship for a few years. The second thing is that coverage of the LOI is oftenn inconsistent and rather sporadic. Yes - it's going up for this seaosn. But it could easily be reduced again in future years, as that is what has happened previously. As a business person i wouldn't be digging deeper into my pocket on the possibility of increased future exposure that may well never arise.

Balanced against the long-term, hypothetical positive impact of TV games is the short-term, demonstrable negative impact of reduced gate receipts, reduced matchday inncome etc. The clubs for whom being on TV would work out best are those with severe capacity constraints - e.g. Bohs and Pats. They would have little or nothing to lose from it, as they'd probably sell out their games regardless anyway. Rovers will probably struggle to sell out all or almost all their games this year, so being on TV would probably cost them money overall in reduced attendances.

Is there an announcement due on naming rights for Oriel? Maybe its done but if not it is a selling point. Marketing is basiclly about over egging things in general imo but I do get your point. I would not be disappointed to not have games in Oriel televised particularly when there is LoItv to fall back on when ye cant get to a game.

legendz
19/01/2024, 5:27 PM
I have some sympathy for the TV companies as regards Thursday and Monday games. After all, people complain when games are on a Friday when they clash with the rest of the fixtures. Maybe Saturday evening would be better than Thursday though.

Sligo and Longford play on Saturday's. When the majority of clubs play on Friday, Saturday might be the better choice for the live tv game.

EatYerGreens
19/01/2024, 6:08 PM
Is there an announcement due on naming rights for Oriel? Maybe its done but if not it is a selling point. Marketing is basiclly about over egging things in general imo but I do get your point. I would not be disappointed to not have games in Oriel televised particularly when there is LoItv to fall back on when ye cant get to a game.

It sounds like Oriel can expect to host few or no live games this season though, due to the facilities and vista.

WeAreRovers
25/01/2024, 3:10 PM
First lot of RTÉ live games announced -

Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk, Friday, Tallaght Stadium - 16 February, 2024, kick-off at 19:45
Derry City v St Patrick's Athletic, The Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium - Friday, 1 March, 2024, kick-off at 19:45
Galway United v Shamrock Rovers, Eamonn Deacy Park - Friday, 15 March, 2024, kick-off at 19:45
Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians, Tallaght Stadium - Friday, 29 March, 2024. kick-off at 19:45

nigel-harps1954
25/01/2024, 4:51 PM
So, total games confirmed so far:

Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk - 16th Feb - 7:45pm - RTÉ
Derry City v St Pat's - 1st Mar - 7:45pm - RTÉ
Shamrock Rovers v Derry City - 4th Mar - 7:45pm - Virgin Media
Galway United v Shamrock Rovers - 15th Mar - 7:45pm - RTÉ
Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians - 29th Mar - 7:45pm - RTÉ
Galway United v Bohemians - 1st Apr - 7:45pm - Virgin Media
Shelbourne v Shamrock Rovers - 22nd Apr - 7:45pm - Virgin Media
TBC - 6th May - Virgin Media
TBC - 20th May - Virgin Media
TBC - 23rd May - Virgin Media
TBC - 3rd June - Virgin Media

total hoofball
25/01/2024, 5:23 PM
While that's a very Shamrock Rovers centric live TV fixture schedule I would agree with 4 of 5 fixture selections involving them being the strongest fixture of the particular gameweek

The Galway vs Shamrock Rovers selection by RTÉ on March 15th is the one that is completely unnecessary Rovers overkill for me. Pat's/Shels on that same night should have been that selection both only involved live once in those 7 games and both sides in Europe this season

placid casual
25/01/2024, 6:25 PM
While that's a very Shamrock Rovers centric live TV fixture schedule I would agree with 4 of 5 fixture selections involving them being the strongest fixture of the particular gameweek

The Galway vs Shamrock Rovers selection by RTÉ on March 15th is the one that is completely unnecessary Rovers overkill for me. Pat's/Shels on that same night should have been that selection both only involved live once in those 7 games and both sides in Europe this season
Yeah I agree,no need for the galway- Rovers game when there is decent alternatives- I'd add the Rovers vs shel's game to that as well. The games against boez , derry & pats would be the higher profile games that warrant inclusion in tv schedules. drogs and dundalk will have to wait for away games to see their teams on tv, and who can blame the tv people on that score.

Stuttgart88
29/01/2024, 12:48 PM

The Galway vs Shamrock Rovers selection by RTÉ on March 15th is the one that is completely unnecessary Rovers overkill for me. Pat's/Shels on that same night should have been that selection both only involved live once in those 7 games and both sides in Europe this seasonDidn't the FAI say last week that some grounds weren't telegenic enough to be a good advertisement for the league, or something like that?

nigel-harps1954
29/01/2024, 2:14 PM
Is Richmond Park able to host a full outside broadcast unit? Might be okay for the enhanced LOITV style broadcast that Virgin Media use, but probably can't take a full RTE OB team?

D24Saint
29/01/2024, 2:17 PM
Is Richmond Park able to host a full outside broadcast unit? Might be okay for the enhanced LOITV style broadcast that Virgin Media use, but probably can't take a full RTE OB team?

RTE park their trucks in the lane beside the ground. Then on occasion they had cherrypicker with a camera at the Inchicore end.

TonyD
29/01/2024, 10:58 PM
RTE park their trucks in the lane beside the ground. Then on occasion they had cherrypicker with a camera at the Inchicore end.

And they’ve covered plenty of live games from Richmond in the past, with no complaints that I’m aware of.

joey B
30/01/2024, 3:20 PM
Didn't the FAI say last week that some grounds weren't telegenic enough to be a good advertisement for the league, or something like that?

Richmond Park with a full crowd in the away end looks fine on tv for me, better than Dalymount in my opinion ...

legendz
30/01/2024, 8:02 PM
I'd like to see a regular standalone kickoff for the star game of the weekend and better highlights for the First Division. Even without a broadcast agreement, LOITV would be more appealing with a regular standalone kickoff.

sbgawa
30/01/2024, 10:33 PM
Until there is money for the clubs from TV it is very hard to justify this from a clubs perspective. Rovers crowds for any night bar Friday are 2000+ less. We just can't afford to lose that kind of money and I would say almost every club would be the same unless they have very limited capacity

Dermobohs
31/01/2024, 10:01 AM
True that sbgwa, even though we’ve already sold the ground out more or less I always notice at least a couple of hundred don’t show on a Monday. With rovers and say pats greater capacity you’d get more absentees for sure

legendz
05/02/2024, 2:44 AM
Until there is money for the clubs from TV it is very hard to justify this from a clubs perspective. Rovers crowds for any night bar Friday are 2000+ less. We just can't afford to lose that kind of money and I would say almost every club would be the same unless they have very limited capacity
Fair point. Would establishing a standalone kick off for the star game of the weekend be an investment of sorts though?

Knocklyonhoop
05/02/2024, 9:56 PM
The Thursday game will be interesting. Surely most LoI fans at a minimum will tune in

Shinkicker
15/02/2024, 5:00 PM
Question, I normally use LOITV on pay per match. If I subscribe for the year is there playback or catch up.

sbgawa
15/02/2024, 5:46 PM
Question, I normally use LOITV on pay per match. If I subscribe for the year is there playback or catch up.

Yes there is playback and catch up

nigel-harps1954
15/02/2024, 5:46 PM

You can playback or catch up on all games if you pay for the year, as opposed to just the match you paid for.

Shinkicker
15/02/2024, 5:48 PM
You can playback or catch up on all games if you pay for the year, as opposed to just the match you paid for.
Cheers appreciate that.

culloty82
23/02/2024, 6:02 PM
Kerry state they'll have pre-game build-up from 19:30, and a 3-camera set-up this season.

Shinkicker
23/02/2024, 7:09 PM
Pats v Bohs stopped playing on LOITV ??

yurt
08/03/2024, 7:32 PM
Just got a replay of the Pat's goal on the Galway stream. First time I recall seeing anything along those lines on LOITV. Great to see improvements being made to the coverage.

nigel-harps1954
08/03/2024, 10:43 PM
Just got a replay of the Pat's goal on the Galway stream. First time I recall seeing anything along those lines on LOITV. Great to see improvements being made to the coverage.

The two camera setup operated by 247 in Premier Division games almost always has replays.

Buckett
08/03/2024, 11:14 PM
I think he means seeing a replay of a goal from a different game to the one he's streaming

nigel-harps1954
09/03/2024, 7:38 AM
I think he means seeing a replay of a goal from a different game to the one he's streaming

Fair! Didn't catch on to that, nor pay attention to Premier Division fixtures. That is indeed a nice addition

JC_GUFC
02/04/2024, 9:44 AM
So, total games confirmed so far:

Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk - 16th Feb - 7:45pm - RTÉ
Derry City v St Pat's - 1st Mar - 7:45pm - RTÉ
Shamrock Rovers v Derry City - 4th Mar - 7:45pm - Virgin Media
Galway United v Shamrock Rovers - 15th Mar - 7:45pm - RTÉ
Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians - 29th Mar - 7:45pm - RTÉ
Galway United v Bohemians - 1st Apr - 7:45pm - Virgin Media
Shelbourne v Shamrock Rovers - 22nd Apr - 7:45pm - Virgin Media
TBC - 6th May - Virgin Media
TBC - 20th May - Virgin Media
TBC - 23rd May - Virgin Media
TBC - 3rd June - Virgin Media

I thought Eamonn Deacy Park looked great on TV last night.

Shels v Rovers could potentially be the top 2 by the time it's played.

Looking at the fixture list potential live games for the other dates...

6th May - Derry v Shels
20th May - Rovers v Derry
23rd May - Bohs v Pat's (or Rovers v Shels)
3rd June - Bohs v Shels

I wonder when RTE will start showing games again?

Shinkicker
02/04/2024, 10:41 AM
I thought Eamonn Deacy Park looked great on TV last night.

Shels v Rovers could potentially be the top 2 by the time it's played.

Looking at the fixture list potential live games for the other dates...

6th May - Derry v Shels
20th May - Rovers v Derry
23rd May - Bohs v Pat's (or Rovers v Shels)
3rd June - Bohs v Shels

I wonder when RTE will start showing games again?
I agree, I thought Eamonn Deacy Park looked great, the camera angle facing the full stand with flags flying etc before kick off added atmosphere. The game wasn't the greatest, so if crowds are increasing and we have regular full houses we may get more tv time. That's were the owners, managers, coaches and players need to provide a product to keep stadiums full. Based on the games I've seen so far the game end of the product is improving but the facilities end has a long way to go.

nr637
02/05/2024, 9:53 AM
The biggest game this weekend, Bohs v Sha. Rovers isn't on TV this Friday night. RTE & Virgin have publicly announced that they don't want to go to Dalymount because it's a kip for fans and for their TV staff in regards to facilities when arranging their set up. They highlighted the TV gantry as not being safe and up to regulation standards. As it is Virgin are showing a game on Monday 6th instead and RTE have spent all their budget preparing for the Rugby game at Croke Park this weekend on Saturday!

Calcio Jack
02/05/2024, 11:14 AM
The biggest game this weekend, Bohs v Sha. Rovers isn't on TV this Friday night. RTE & Virgin have publicly announced that they don't want to go to Dalymount because it's a kip for fans and for their TV staff in regards to facilities when arranging their set up. They highlighted the TV gantry as not being safe and up to regulation standards. As it is Virgin are showing a game on Monday 6th instead and RTE have spent all their budget preparing for the Rugby game at Croke Park this weekend on Saturday!

Where was this ‘publicly announced’ by both ? I suspect this is ‘fake news’ but am open to correction

WeAreRovers
02/05/2024, 11:18 AM

Made up BS confidently stated as fact - rather like your away crowds thread.

nr637
02/05/2024, 11:54 AM
Made up BS confidently stated as fact - rather like your away crowds thread.

Now that's not very nice of you WeAreRovers, you should have a bit more respect on this forum and follow the rules please!
:confused:

RealJohn91
02/05/2024, 12:29 PM
Well I'm sure it would be easy for you to share where they said that publicly then.

Nesta99
02/05/2024, 1:26 PM
Now that's not very nice of you WeAreRovers, you should have a bit more respect on this forum and follow the rules please!
:confused:

Cant be critical of RTE around WAR, but I wouldnt sweat it, RTE are quite prone to exaggeration, cronyism, lying to save their bacon at all costs and finally hypocrisy with BS confidently stated as fact!