PDA

View Full Version : French Suspensions?

TerryPhelan
01/09/2005, 1:49 PM
Just wondering what French players are carrying yellow cards into the Faroes game? If the fishermen rough them up a bit, there my be a couple of suspensions for the Lansdowne Road game, which would only work to our advantage.

Anyone out there have the stats??

Also, Domenech looks to be playing Kerr-style mindgames - hinting at not picking Vieira for the Ireland match. What a load of rubbish...

Vieira axe “possible” – Domenech
http://www.elevenaside.com/worldcup2006/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=18950

September 1, 2005

France head coach Raymond Domenech admits he may not recall former captain Patrick Vieira to the side for Saturday’s World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands in Lens.

Vieira sat out the friendly win over the Ivory Coast last month after picking up an injury in the warm-up.

His replacement, Paris St Germain’s former AC Milan star Vikash Dhorasoo, made a major impression in that game, pulling the strings in midfield and teeing up his side’s third goal for striker Thierry Henry with a stunning pass into the path of the Arsenal man.

And Domenech has refused to rule out the possibility that he will leave Vieira – stripped of the captaincy following Zinedine Zidane’s return to the fold – out of his side for the meeting with the Group Four minnows on Saturday night.

When asked if he would omit the Juventus star, Domenech said: “It’s possible. I’ll answer that question closer to the match. I will announce the team on Friday. That’s all I’m prepared to say.”

gustavo
01/09/2005, 1:58 PM
not a chance of him dropping vieira id say and i dont think kerr would buy it for a second!

Kingdom
01/09/2005, 3:22 PM
Makalele
Silvestre
Vieira
Sagnol
Mavuba
Rothen

are all in trouble if they get booked against the Faroes.

I presume Trezeguet only gets a one match ban for his red against Israel.

Stuttgart88
01/09/2005, 3:27 PM
I presume Trezeguet only gets a one match ban for his red against Israel.3 matches.

Kingdom
01/09/2005, 3:31 PM
Stinger.

Andy O'Brien got sent off against Israel so he missed the next game.Fair nuff. But he had a yellow previously so does that yellow still stand.

We have a few on yellow cards,

Morrison, Andy Reid, Kenny, Zinedine, O'Shea, Duff :eek: , and RMK too. They would miss the Cyprus game wop-dee-do, but still there are a couple who could potentially miss the Swiss game.

Kingdom
01/09/2005, 3:37 PM
Speaking of suspensions:

Swiss players on yellow:
Haas
Magnin
Henchoz
Lonfat

Wicky misses the game against Israel on Sat due to suspension

Israel:

Afek
Davidovich
Gershon
Yemiel
Tal
Katan
Golan
Dudu
Benayoun

Balili misses Swiss game cause of suspension.

Stuttgart88
01/09/2005, 3:50 PM
As far as I know O'Brien's first yellow still stands. As for Duff, do you remember when he pulled back that Faroes player by his shirt? God, my heart nearly leapt out of my mouth!

I still think we'll have to be on top of our game to wrap up the 3 points in Cyprus so we can't afford to miss too many. But of those you list I think Duff, Keane & Kenny Cunningham are the most important in that order. The rest we can replace without too much disruption.

Kingdom
01/09/2005, 3:55 PM
Cyprus will be a tough game, but I think it will be the easiest of the away games. Elliot would be perfect for this type of game. I would expect RMK not to play either. Duff , Robbie and Kenny would all be important missing players however I think it would be better to have them missing against Cyprus than the Mountain men.

NeilMcD
01/09/2005, 3:59 PM
how does Makele have a yellow card if he has not played a game in the group yet. Or did he play already for them. Not sure.

Paulie
01/09/2005, 4:03 PM
how does Makele have a yellow card if he has not played a game in the group yet. Or did he play already for them. Not sure.

I think he retired after their game away to The Faroes.

NeilMcD
01/09/2005, 4:08 PM
Fair enough, I kinda thought something like that at the back of my mind. Strange time to retire. I dont think if Zidane didn to come back the other would have come back

Paulie
01/09/2005, 4:44 PM
Yeah I'd say you're right, they would have kept quiet except for Zidane. As far as I remember the French media and supporters were quite critical of Zidane when he retired so Makelele and Thuram were probably concerned that their popularity in France would plummet if they refused to come back after Zidane had said he would come out of intl. retirement.

eirebhoy
01/09/2005, 5:41 PM
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=26087

So Vieira, Makelele and Sagnol will most likely start both games. I'll be praying one of them gets booked but can't see one French booking in this match tbh.