PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn Manson/Iron Maiden in RDS

Gerrit
01/09/2005, 4:32 AM
I went down and up for one day and night (at 6.00 am is bus back to Belfast) for this event ; did anyone else from foot.ie go ?

I was amongst the minority that headed to the RDS for Marilyn Manson and not for Maiden, but of course I did watch Maiden's set as well.

The organisation organised a support act: Turbonegro. A rather carnavalesque Norwegian metal band with a singer dressed like a viking-with-corpsepaint who should really go on a diet instead of telling stories about giving a blowjob to a shipper to get a potato from him... That story more or less says it all: it's supposed to be a party act and a funny thing, but let's just say it's not my style of humor. Few songs were not bad, but also not "wow"...

Then "my main act": Marilyn Manson. As I expected a good gig (just like the 3 previous Manson gigs I attended) with a Marilyn full of energy who knows exactly how to get the crowd going. The new guitarist was also doing a good job in replacing John 5.

Few remarks though: the acoustic would have been better indoors. I wonder why Marilyn didn't bring his showgirls who do the backings during "mOBSCENE" (while doing amazingly sensual dances :o ).
And most of all: this is supposed to be a "best of" tour for Manson, but the setlist was not much different from the 3 gigs I saw during his last tour (when promoting the latest regular album). Why was there no ComaWhite, no Reflecting God, no Irresponsable Hate Anthem?? And why no songs from the first album (apart from the intro) ? He seems to never play any of those anymore, while "Dogma" and "Dope Hat" would still rock the crowd.

But overall: satisfying gig ! And my female fellow Manson fans are still amazingly cute :p

Iron Maiden: full of energy, Bruce was running and jumping around like a 25 year old, vocals were excellent and the guitars were a true wall of sound that came close to Motorhead's. Bruce got the crowd going without a single problem and the crowd made it a true party. I enjoyed the atmosphere, but I must say though that the music is a bit repetitive. Maybe Maiden fans would not mind or notice more differences, but I had the impression all songs were basically heavy guitar solos as core part, and many of those had more or less the same chord.

carrickharp
01/09/2005, 8:14 AM
Good gigg, Maiden played stuff from thier first four albums, diden't think much of Manson

Gerrit
03/09/2005, 6:00 PM
I was hoping for another setlist by Manson. I saw him 3 times during the last tour (as promotion for the Golden Age Of Grotesque album) and the setlist he did now was very similar to the setlist in the 3 gigs I saw during the previous tour. This was supposed to be a tour promoting his "best of" collection, but he did no songs from the first album... After his intro from the first album I was hoping for Cake & Sodomy, Lunchbox or Dope Hat, but no...

And why was there no Reflecting God and no Irresponsable Hate Anthem?? Two of his most powerful songs and he didn't play them :confused: And ComaWhite seems to be out of his grace as well :( I already accepted he'll never do Cryptorchid again live, but I really expected The Reflecting God...

I understand he wanted to play his most famous songs during his first gig in Ireland, after all this was his chance to promote his music to the audience on this island. But for the long-term fans (including me) it would have been nice to play just a few ones he didn't do for a long time.

Maiden played stuff from the first four albums, plus some classics like Hollowed By The Name, Run To The Hills, Number Of The Beast, ... Bruce said they'll play songs from the 5th-8th albums during the next tour :) And that there'll be a new studio album next year.

Dublinharp, what did you think of the support act Turbonegro?? I'm not quick usually to criticise Norwegian export products, but I didn't really like this one. It seemed like a big joke. The clothing alone was rather childish for metal standards, and the singer's belly seemed like he had just emptied all beer crates of Temple Bar :eek: Their music is nice to party I guess, but the lyrics made no sense as well.

carrickharp
05/09/2005, 7:43 AM
Dublinharp, what did you think of the support act Turbonegro??
Don't know as I was in Paddy Cullens :o