PDA

View Full Version : The eircom league M.V.P

Dyl10
31/08/2005, 4:53 PM
Just wondering after watching the champions league awards, Who is the eircom leagues' Most Valuable Player? O' calaghan? Houlihan? Fenn? Farrely? Hunt? Farren? Mcourt? I don't know, who do yous think?

Colm
31/08/2005, 4:55 PM
It has to be Georgie. No contest.

Colm
31/08/2005, 5:05 PM
I'd say its 'Flynnie :p ' or 'Fennie :p ', no contest biy !!

You are one bitter obsessed little **** alright.

dancinpants
31/08/2005, 5:06 PM
It has to be Georgie. No contest.

Out of the whole league why Georgie?

Drumcondra Red
31/08/2005, 5:08 PM
Weso, hmmm maybe McCourt but then again Shero's back on the scene :D (too bad its not in a red shirt :( ) how is Shero getting on at Rovers anyway, and what do the fans think???

Colm
31/08/2005, 5:09 PM

Well Fenn, McCourt, Farrelly, Hunt and Houlihan are all great players but I think that, this season anyway, Georgie is a lot better than any of them. Just my opinion.

Dyl10
31/08/2005, 5:13 PM
Or what about little franco off bray he could be a contender soon! I saw him give jean-alain boumsong all sorts of trouble :D

Speranza
31/08/2005, 5:38 PM
I will be slated for this but I think George is over-rated and would have Houlihan over him any day.
All of the players listed above are attack minded but I would put Peter Hutton in the same class as them.

Zayed, Gamble, Killian Brennan, Devine, Forde, Farren, Murray, Beckett, Kearney are other great players

James
31/08/2005, 6:14 PM
Devine or Gamble for us i think
farren, zayed...maybe
havent seen enough of most other players to warrant inclusions bar 1 or 2 games v city

mccourt though i wudnt agree with, he blows too hot and cold

Dyl10
31/08/2005, 7:36 PM
Devine or Gamble for us i think
farren, zayed...maybe
havent seen enough of most other players to warrant inclusions bar 1 or 2 games v city

mccourt though i wudnt agree with, he blows too hot and cold

Zayed isn't a el player anymore from what i hear! and i dont think a goalkeeper can really be classed as an mvp

KCAFC
31/08/2005, 8:24 PM
Goalkeeper-Mick Devine
Defender-Danny Murphy
Midfielder-Wes Hoolahan
Foward-Mark Farren

but if I had to pick one it would be Hoolahan

OneRedArmy
31/08/2005, 8:50 PM
and i dont think a goalkeeper can really be classed as an mvp is this a random rule you made up in your head, or have you a more substantive basis for it?

PS REALLY looking forward to your response on this.

coislaoi
31/08/2005, 9:01 PM
is this a random rule you made up in your head, or have you a more substantive basis for it?

I'll answer it for you if you like. You see the rationale behind that statement is that a defender/keeper can't possibly be an MVP as they are not likely to score!! :D :D
On a serious note Devine would have to be my MVP. He was the best keeper in the league last season and he is up there this season with your man Forde.

Poor Student
31/08/2005, 9:02 PM
Tony McDonnell, no contest.

TheOwl
31/08/2005, 9:11 PM
Weso for me is the most talented player in the league - I just wish Fenlon thought so too!

A face
31/08/2005, 9:19 PM
Weso for me is the most talented player in the league - I just wish Fenlon thought so too!

He'll never get to so Ndo at his best either .... Shels just dont do skill anymore !! :p

RedX
31/08/2005, 9:22 PM

Because maybe he is the best player in the league...how about that?.. ;)

dancinpants
31/08/2005, 9:44 PM
Because maybe he is the best player in Cork...how about that?.. ;)

Thats what you meant to say really.

Dyl10
31/08/2005, 9:57 PM
is this a random rule you made up in your head, or have you a more substantive basis for it?

No i feel that goalkeepers are far too hard to judge on how good they are in relation to the other goalkeepers in the league because obviously they are going to concede less and are less likely to make mistakes because they would see less of the ball than keepers from lesser teams so i feel its to hard to compare keepers from differant class teams whereas it isn't difficult to compare outfield players because either they shine or they don't! You get me?

harry crumb
31/08/2005, 10:24 PM
George O'Callaghan no doubt. Hes the marquee player. The classic Number 10. He's the best around and he knows it too.

Anto McC
31/08/2005, 10:25 PM
George or Weso

dcfcsteve
31/08/2005, 10:31 PM
Because maybe he is the best player in the league...how about that?.. ;)

Unlike any other position, there's actually a very easy way to compare the relative merits of strikers/forwards. Goals.

Cork City are top of the league and have scored more goals than anyone else. If O'Callaghan really is the most valuable player in the league - then why isn't he the top scorer......?

I'd say he's not even the most valuable forward/striker. Results speak for themselves - Farren is more valuable than he is in that position....

daveh
31/08/2005, 10:47 PM
Maybe cos hes been playing in central midfield most of the season!! :eek:

Troy.McClure
31/08/2005, 10:53 PM
Cork City are top of the league and have scored more goals than anyone else. If O'Callaghan really is the most valuable player in the league - then why isn't he the top scorer......?

coz he plays in midfield, rips teams appart, sets up buckets of goals, stops opposition attacks, gets opposition players sent off, and when the team at the top of the league doesnt have him in the team they suffer.

I'd say he's not even the most valuable forward/striker. Results speak for themselves - Farren is more valuable than he is in that position....
To Derry yes, but ye would need to win the league to justify him as MVP I recon.

RedX
31/08/2005, 10:55 PM
Thats what you meant to say really.

Whats the problem??..JEALOUS?.. ;) i remember the time when Liam Coyle was playing and Derry fans used to say how great he was and Cork City fans agreed..so less of the JEALOUSY and face the facts Georgie is streets ahead of Farren..because thats who you really want to say isnt it... ;) Fenn is years ahead of that kid also... :D

dcfcsteve...Hmmm i think Georgie is a CENTRAL MIDFIELDER all season... :eek: ;)

OneRedArmy
31/08/2005, 10:57 PM
Maybe cos hes been playing in central midfield most of the season!! :eek:
he`s a failed striker then so :D
Based on recent goal-scoring might he be pushed back up front?

For a non-DCFC player, George would be my MVP. Weso hasn't done it this season (from what I`ve seen).

OneRedArmy
31/08/2005, 11:09 PM
Whats the problem??..JEALOUS?.. ;) i remember the time when Liam Coyle was playing and Derry fans used to say how great he was and Cork City fans agreed..so less of the JEALOUSY and face the facts Georgie is streets ahead of Farren..because thats who you really want to say isnt it... ;) Fenn is years ahead of that kid also... :D
Farren & O`Callaghan are 2 completely different types of players playing in 2 different positions. Think of Farren as a John O`Flynn who scores goals. Fenn is a less committed Gary Beckett with a better tan.

Midfield Georgie is a poor mans Felix Healy & even mentioning him in the same sentance as Coyle is heresy...

Contents above to be taken with a small pinch of salt. I was trying to see if I could be as rational & even-handed as the average Cork fan ;)

RedX
31/08/2005, 11:19 PM
Farren & O`Callaghan are 2 completely different types of players playing in 2 different positions. Think of Farren as a John O`Flynn who scores goals. Fenn is a less committed Gary Beckett with a better tan.

Midfield Georgie is a poor mans Felix Healy & even mentioning him in the same sentance as Coyle is heresy...

Contents above to be taken with a small pinch of salt. I was trying to see if I could be as rational & even-handed as the average Cork fan ;)

Gary Beckett as good as Fenn :eek: ...Beckett should be part of the UNITED KINGDOM diving team..or moaning team..pick.. ;)

Coyle was good on the ball but forgot sometimes that you should not stand in the same spot for the whole game..fat/lazy come to mind..Georgie can run.. ;)

And i used to think the Derry fans were tuned in.. :confused:

razor
01/09/2005, 8:26 AM
Midfield Georgie is a poor mans Felix Healy & even mentioning him in the same sentance as Coyle is heresy
Good to see ye have to go back a bit to get a comparison for George.
Nobody mentioned Coyle, heresy indeed, twould be like saying Patsy Freyne.

I myself would say Houlihan. Seems more commited, George blows too hot and cold as does McCourt.
I don't think George is the best player in Cork this season.
He's certainly behind Gamble and Danny Murphy in my books.

Roo69
01/09/2005, 8:29 AM
Well being biased naturally i'm going to say Zayed. No one player has been more important to any team than Eamon to us. Without him this season we would be rock bottom.

Roverstillidie
01/09/2005, 9:08 AM
Well being biased naturally i'm going to say Zayed. No one player has been more important to any team than Eamon to us. Without him this season we would be rock bottom.

and now he is gone.....?

Krstic
01/09/2005, 9:23 AM
I'm going to be a bit more objective and exclude my own team.

I'd say the MVP this season for Cork, from what I've seen, has been the full-back Murphy.

But if we want to change MVP to Most Important Person, then I'll go for Stephen Kenny :D

The Stars
01/09/2005, 9:54 AM
Goalkeeper-Mick Devine
Defender-Danny Murphy
Midfielder-Wes Hoolahan
Foward-Mark Farren

but if I had to pick one it would be Hoolahan
Thought you would have gone for Pat Scully.....

Rory H
01/09/2005, 10:13 AM
fahrudin kudozivic in my biased opinion

The Stars
01/09/2005, 10:35 AM
fahrudin kudozivic in my biased opinion
No has to be Raf Creataro.Anyone who ever say him play will admit he is the best player in the First Division...maybe even the whole country.

gustavo
01/09/2005, 10:37 AM
yeah maybe even the whole world!!
ah no i would say raf is probably in the top three players in the first division anyway.

Roo69
01/09/2005, 11:26 AM
and now he is gone.....?

He surely is ! Job done, has kept us up. The lad wanted to try his hand at a better league with much better money. Can't stand in his way really. Best of luck to him is what i say.

dcfcsteve
01/09/2005, 11:30 AM
Just wait 'till he leaves you in the lurch mid-season with an unsigned contract on his desk. Ah we're better off. We won nothing with him anyway.

I wouldn't assume Kenny's actions in leaving a small club down the country who'd won nothing ever for a much bigger club in Dublin with real potential was wholly unexpected, or indeed is completely replicable with regards Derry City. Only time will tell Cop On, time will tell...

Just make sure yee's have finished polishing that League Cup in-time to hand it over to City or UCD in 20 days though. Don't forget to rub under the handles now.... :D

Krstic
01/09/2005, 1:13 PM
[QUOTE=Cop on]I would assume you will hammer UCD in the league cup final. [QUOTE]

You assumed right Cop on :D

Schumi
01/09/2005, 1:25 PM
I would assume you will hammer UCD in the league cup final. Did you assume that you would hammer us in the cup? How about Shels in the league cup semi final?

Slash/ED
01/09/2005, 2:16 PM
Weso hasn't done it this season (from what I`ve seen).

:eek:

If you mean Hoolahan, he's had his best season by miles this year.

But I'd still pick O'Callaghan. Still a bit inconsistent and sometimes gives the ball away through pure lack of concentration but he is a class act and Cork suffer badly without him.

Colie
01/09/2005, 2:49 PM
Tony McDonnell, no contest.
It's true everyone, sorry.

Krstic
01/09/2005, 2:53 PM
I was commenting on Krstic's lack of confidence !!!

Ahh, was it not DCFCsteve's confidence you were questioning????

I have every confidence that we will beat UCD :eek:

Éanna
01/09/2005, 8:12 PM
George, no contest whatsoever. The complete player, and while he can be a bit frustrating at times, his workrate is amazing. Heary comes second IMO

fbtn
01/09/2005, 9:37 PM
Alan Reynolds. No contest.

What does MVP stand for again.........Mouthy Vermin-insfested Pr!ck.

Definitely must come down between O'Callaghan and Hoolahan. I'm a big fan of Wes but O'Callaghan has been excellent this season. The reason Cork are sitting top of the table.

TheOwl
01/09/2005, 9:45 PM
George, no contest whatsoever. The complete player, and while he can be a bit frustrating at times, his workrate is amazing. Heary comes second IMO

Heary isn't having a great season at all. Weso is our player of the year, no doubt about it, with Hawkins a distant, distant second.

KCAFC
01/09/2005, 9:46 PM
Thought you would have gone for Pat Scully.....

MVPlayer/Manager - Pat Scully :p

Éanna
01/09/2005, 9:48 PM
Heary isn't having a great season at all. Weso is our player of the year, no doubt about it, with Hawkins a distant, distant second.
maybe not, but Shels are a much weaker team without Heary. His mere presence seems to lift the whole team

CollegeTillIDie
01/09/2005, 10:56 PM
Player of the Month for the Entire League for June.... the Belfield boys agree..
Tony McDonnell... he ought to be cloned ! :D