PDA

View Full Version : How can I get from Dublin to Belfast ?

wallis
31/08/2005, 9:55 AM
Im flying over from England for the France game on the Wednesday , then I have to get to the North on Thursday for my cousins wedding. Whats the best way to do it - coach ? train ? bus ?

Does anyone have any ideas of cost or weblinks. I have tried the Bus Eireann site but its a nightmare to use.

drummerboy
31/08/2005, 9:59 AM
Its only al couple of hours on the train

www.irishrail.ie/home

Drumcondra Red
31/08/2005, 10:01 AM
Quickest= Train
Cheapest= Bus

Train (http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/timetables_junction1.asp?txtFromStation=Dublin&txtToStation=Belfast&RadioOutDirect=all&OutSelectDay=08&OutSelectMonth=09&RadioOutStatus=D&OutFromTime=10&OutToTime=18&optionWalk=yes&optionBus=yes&hidOutDate=&hidRtnDate=&cmdSubmit.x=15&cmdSubmit.y=13)

Or Aircoach (http://www.aircoach.ie) from Dublin Airport, hope that helps, now if you had a spare ticket to the game... :D

Aldini98
31/08/2005, 2:52 PM
Wouldn't rely on any Irish Transport, the system is a joke, you'd be quicker flying back to England and then to the North :)

Ash
31/08/2005, 2:59 PM
The Dublin-Belfast train goes from Connolly station.
It looked fairly decent, although that was in comparasion to
the tin bucket on wheels I had to get when I used to have to
go to Sligo

Aldini98
31/08/2005, 3:01 PM
The Dublin-Belfast train gois from Connolly station.
IUt looked fairly decent, although that was in comparasion to
the tin bucket on wheels I had to get when I used to have to
go to Sligo

Thats what you get for going to Sligo TOWN. Used to go out with a girl from Sligo, not bitter at all me, I swear. You'd never gues it mind you.

EnDai
31/08/2005, 3:07 PM
The Enterprise train. Fantastic, and not insanely expensive either.

sligoman
31/08/2005, 3:10 PM
Thats what you get for going to Sligo TOWN.Nothing wrong with Sligo CITY so shut it! ;) :p.

gustavo
31/08/2005, 3:16 PM
in fairness its not a city sligoman , give it ten years should be by now if it wasnt for very bad planning and self interested idiots in the chamber of commerce.

sligoman
31/08/2005, 3:19 PM
in fairness its not a city sligoman , give it ten years should be by now if it wasnt for very bad planning and self interested idiots in the chamber of commerce.It's more of a city than Ballina village though :p

gustavo
31/08/2005, 3:51 PM
actually id say its about one and a half times the size of ballina doesnt say much for sligo really:(

Green Tribe
31/08/2005, 7:13 PM
got the bus dublin= belfast from bus station about a month ago, was about 7 euros single, special offer i think, but the fcuker took 3 hours :eek: :mad:
was going to get train that day but it was 33 euros single :eek: :mad:

maybe hire a car?

Jon'o
31/08/2005, 7:16 PM
get the aircoach from dublin airport imo, only 8yoyos i think

Gerrit
01/09/2005, 4:13 AM
got the bus dublin= belfast from bus station about a month ago, was about 7 euros single, special offer i think, but the fcuker took 3 hours :eek:

Still 7 euro :)

And it took me three hours as well today... (I went down yesterday to Dublin for concert and head back up within an hour) Ack, for that price I'm happy to stay on a bus 3 hours, my loyal MP3 player eases the waiting :cool:

By the way, when I moved from Dublin to Belfast last month me and an ex-colleague hired a car to move my stuff up. It took us approx 5 hours :eek: First it took us 45 minutes to get out of Dublin (damn one way streets !), then just before Belfast a truck had an accident and the highway was blocked. So we left the highway and decided to do the last part via the regular road between Banbridge and Belfast. Somehow my colleague got the wrong way however and we ended up in Moira :eek:

CollegeTillIDie
01/09/2005, 7:46 AM
Still 7 euro :)

And it took me three hours as well today... (I went down yesterday to Dublin for concert and head back up within an hour) Ack, for that price I'm happy to stay on a bus 3 hours, my loyal MP3 player eases the waiting :cool:

By the way, when I moved from Dublin to Belfast last month me and an ex-colleague hired a car to move my stuff up. It took us approx 5 hours :eek: First it took us 45 minutes to get out of Dublin (damn one way streets !), then just before Belfast a truck had an accident and the highway was blocked. So we left the highway and decided to do the last part via the regular road between Banbridge and Belfast. Somehow my colleague got the wrong way however and we ended up in Moira :eek:

I always heard Moira was nice ... is she that nice? :D

wallis
01/09/2005, 12:12 PM
The Enterprise train. Fantastic, and not insanely expensive either.

The Enterprise train ?? where do I get it , just walk to the station and ask ?

Aldini98
01/09/2005, 12:38 PM
Nothing wrong with Sligo CITY so shut it! ;) :p.

Its a feckin town, get over it. City my ar*e, next you'll be calling it "The REAL capital" like that crowd down south.
:D

Paulie
01/09/2005, 1:42 PM
The Enterprise train ?? where do I get it , just walk to the station and ask ?

I live in Drogheda and have often gotten the Enterprise home. The Drogheda and Belfast lines by Irish standards are about as good and reliable a service as you're going to get. It goes from Connolly Station and off the top of my head it departs from platform 2 but you'd need to check to see which platform for sure. I'm not sure of the price I'm afraid as I get a monthly pass but I'm sure it's not too bad while the journey itself takes 2 - 2 1/2 hours. I can't remember what the website address is but if you go on to google and type in Iarnrod Eireann that normally finds it ok.

Green Tribe
01/09/2005, 5:58 PM
roll on the japanese style bullet trains :p
and will there EVER be a train that goes west to dungannon, enniskillen etc :eek: :eek: :mad:

Thunderblaster
04/09/2005, 12:52 PM
The Enterprise Train was the best train I was on. Definitely the ways to travel from Dublin to Belfast and there is a free bus service from Central Station in Belfast to the city centre at Great Victoria Street. It's a shame that there were no more links to Belfast by rail apart from Bangor, Portrush and Derry. There should be a rail link from Sligo, via Enniskillen and Dungannon to Belfast along with Athlone, via Mullingar, Ardee and Dundalk to Belfast. Cannot do an awful lot for the Munster services unless there is a junction at Portarlington and Kildare Town serving Maynooth to bring the passengers into Connolly or reopen the Phoenix Park Tunnel to passenger trains. Given the Government spending on public transport that exists, the chances of such a rail network coming into operation would be about the same as an eight lane motorway from Dublin to Dingle.