PDA

View Full Version : Drew Splashes the Cash AGAIN - Legend

LFC Blue
30/08/2005, 1:06 PM
Limerick have signed a highly rated Welsh under 21 striker from Leeds Utd according to Live 95Fm. Fair play to Drew. Whatever about the personality clashes he's had with a couple of posters on here i for one say the man is an absolute legend and has saved our famous club. FFS imagine 12 months ago Limerick FC signing John McGrath and a Welsh under 21 striker in the space of 7 days. It's a dream come true. With this kinda ambition we'll be promoted this season.

gael353
30/08/2005, 1:16 PM
His name is Jones and he is 19 yo. He has been on the books of Leeds United for the last three years. His family are lovely, the travelled over from Manchester to see him try out last night train with Limerick, they liked the wit of the Limerick fans (go on lads take a bow) I belive he has good touches and in good old Manchester ways he has a indi look about him lol. I am told he is a striker in a poachers mode if ye get me.

Blue Shadow
30/08/2005, 1:47 PM
great stuff.

gaidin
30/08/2005, 2:27 PM
Anyone know who the other new guy is that was playing with the u21 last nite? Is he also signed? He was playing left wing scored the second goal.

LFC Blue
30/08/2005, 3:11 PM
Ya i heard it on the one o'clock bulletin and i'd say twas on as early as 11

LFC in Exile
30/08/2005, 4:11 PM
Googled the guy:

From leedsfans.org.uk

August 19: Former Leeds youth and reserve team striker Chris Jones is on trial at Bournemouth. He previously had a trial spell at Dean Court in March, and will spend a further week or so training and maybe playing a couple of reserve games in an attempt to win a contract.

According to Wales FA site he has 2 caps for under-19s. No goals.

From dragonsoccer.co.uk:

Chris Jones (Leeds - midfielder) - Scored the winning goal for the reserves against Liverpool at the Racecourse in midweek. The Wales U19 striker curled in a stunning strike from the edge of the box to stun the Reds as his side ran out 1-0 winners. With no consistent reports on the Leeds U18's this season it has been hard to track Jones' progress, but with the winner against Liverpool in the bag, let's hope he can push on.

Anyone that scores great goals against Liverpool is okay with me. :)

LFC in Exile
31/08/2005, 10:55 AM
As the langers say down here- job!

Fair play to all concerned. It is greats to see the club signing players of this calibre and they are young enough as well to make a contribution long term. :ball:

Maybe this season ain't over yet! :cool:

sadloserkid
31/08/2005, 12:25 PM
Anyone know who the other new guy is that was playing with the u21 last nite? Is he also signed? He was playing left wing scored the second goal.

All I know is that he's a Croat and apparently the club do want to sign him. On an aside Ul/Aisling's number 7 would be well worth a look as well. Anybody know anything about him... I can't remember what they were calling him the other night... :confused:

Lim till i die
31/08/2005, 2:15 PM
All I know is that he's a Croat and apparently the club do want to sign him. On an aside Ul/Aisling's number 7 would be well worth a look as well. Anybody know anything about him... I can't remember what they were calling him the other night... :confused:

Why don't you just marry that no.7, every game this year :eek: :D

Croat guy looked pretty handy, was a dirty fecker aswell, kinda like Ciaran Foley with skill and hair :)

Jones looked good up front aswell, only problem I have with him he was caught offside at least 29 times

LFC in Exile
31/08/2005, 2:22 PM
Jones looked good up front aswell, only problem I have with him he was caught offside at least 29 times

He has come to the right league then considering that even the referees don't understand offside over here. :)

Lim till i die
31/08/2005, 2:26 PM
He has come to the right league then considering that even the referees don't understand offside over here. :)

The bloody assistant at the that game made a bloody good fist of trying tho :)

declan hide
31/08/2005, 2:45 PM
Croat guy looked pretty handy, was a dirty fecker aswell, kinda like Ciaran Foley with skill and hair :)

not like foley at all then :D

4tothefloor
31/08/2005, 9:32 PM
Was posting this in the 'Pathetic' thread, but the thread was closed as I was doing so......

All this talk of internationals and foreigners is fine, but they'd want to be treated better than the other international Darran Young who is on our books. He's hardly been given a chance. There was/is another foreign guy on our books as well, a Slovakian player, and I've yet to see him in action. So I'm going to take these with a pinch of salt, you have to take anything Limerick FC related with a pinch of salt.

I am of the view that cast-off signings from the UK aren't as big as some people on here would like to believe. This 'ex-Aston Villa/ex-Leeds/ex-u21 international' stuff is just a load of window dressing. Paul O'Donnell, who plays in the LDMC, is ex-Liverpool, big deal? The fact is, John McGrath has been playing reserve team football, and non-league football for the last few seasons in England. He's been down at the lower reaches (and not even in the starting 11), which is equivelant to the standard over here. I have followed his career closely. His time at Villa is years ago and he has gone down hill since. That's why he's home now. Fact. Ditto for the Leeds striker who must be pretty desperate (and poor) to be coming over here at such a young age. I'll judge them based on performances, but I am not expecting anything special. I certainly won't be so fickle as to label Drew a legend just because he signs a few players which no other club were interested in. Lets see these players achieve first...

LFC in Exile
01/09/2005, 8:49 AM
I certainly won't be so fickle as to label Drew a legend just because he signs a few players which no other club were interested in. Lets see these players achieve first...

Agreed.

But I think you are very harsh on the players signed. You've written McGrath off already in your post before saying you will 'wait and see'. Of course John McGrath is not Premiership standard (now) but he gave it a go and will have learnt a lot from that experience. Also, a player does not play u-21 for his country without being handy. We are in the First Division of the eL in case you hadn't noticed. We cannot attract players from the first team in the higher English (or other divisions). Every footballer tries to find his level - and they overshoot in both directions. I expect McGrath (and maybe the others) do not see themselves as eL first division players but they need to be playing ball to get noticed - and if they are good enough to follow Purcell, O'Flynn, Heffernan and get good premier division contracts using Limerick as a stepping stone then why not. We benefit too.

It is fair enough to judge these players on performances. It is fair enough to reserve judgement on DD in relation to it but any eL club would say the same things if they signed these players. It is all about putting a spin on signings - I don't expect Newcastle's press release to say "Real reject signs for Toon Army because nobody else wanted him".

Also, give credit where it is due - no matter how grudgingly. DD has been slated on here for the size of the squad and allowing players to go (making players go?). If nothing else this shows the club is in the market for players and is attracting what appear to be players with a good pedigree. If these players live up to potential there will be a lot of Limerick supporters eating humble pie - but I still reckon they will moan that it doesn't come with ketchup. :rolleyes:

4tothefloor
01/09/2005, 10:34 PM
But I think you are very harsh on the players signed. You've written McGrath off already in your post before saying you will 'wait and see'.
I haven't written him off, I have just called it as it is. I know John personally, so I know what I'm talking about. What I've said about his career is fact, not criticism. If he doesn't shine in the First Division, his career is in serious trouble. I expect him to do quite well, if used correctly. And you are right about one thing - Limerick IS just a stepping stone to the hope of playing full-time football again. My criticism isn't of the players, it's the window dressing, labelling them ex this, and ex that. I just think it's a bit rich when you look at the treatment of Darran Young, who also was labelled with the 'ex-international' tag.

Also, give credit where it is due - no matter how grudgingly.
This is where I will reserve my judgement. Just because we have signed foreigners or players from across the pond doesn't fool me. Far away hills and all that. I prefer to wait and see, rather than rejoicing in blind faith. I won't be eating any humble pie because I'm not going to judge these signings until I see them play. I'll give Drew credit for signing players, but isn't that his job? And as far as I'm concerned, had we hung on to some of the players that were unnecessarily moved on, and showed them more respect, we wouldn't have to be window dressing now. I hope they're all a roaring success, don't get me wrong.