PDA

View Full Version : Referee bodycam

nr637
06/12/2023, 12:47 PM
Referee bodycam trial sees 'encouraging' resultsA trial of referees wearing body cameras in adult grassroots football will be doubled following "encouraging" results, the FA's head of refereeing Daniel Meeson told BBC Radio 5 Live.
Meeson said that no incidents of abuse were recorded in around 500 matches as part of the initial trial over the past seven months.
The trial will now be extended to include eight county associations in 2024, but Meeson added more data must be collected before wider implementation.
He said the next phase of the trial would need to last two to three seasons for sufficient analysis and its success as a deterrent was "difficult to say at this stage".
Read more on this story here. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67634598)Could this be a help to referees at all levels of the games and for other sports as well! :confused:

Another Bohemia
06/12/2023, 12:55 PM
Referee bodycam trial sees 'encouraging' resultsA trial of referees wearing body cameras in adult grassroots football will be doubled following "encouraging" results, the FA's head of refereeing Daniel Meeson told BBC Radio 5 Live.
Meeson said that no incidents of abuse were recorded in around 500 matches as part of the initial trial over the past seven months.
The trial will now be extended to include eight county associations in 2024, but Meeson added more data must be collected before wider implementation.
He said the next phase of the trial would need to last two to three seasons for sufficient analysis and its success as a deterrent was "difficult to say at this stage".
Read more on this story here. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67634598)Could this be a help to referees at all levels of the games and for other sports as well! :confused:

I'm all for using technology to make people's jobs easier. The only problem I would have is the FAI when it comes to referees rarely if ever seen to correct any decisions they make which are clearly wrong. Players, rightly or wrongly will get frustrated and voice their frustrations, and this could be used a way to punish things that ultimately would be resolved with a better standard of refereeing. If they want to bring in something like this they should do it as a part of a review process of the referee training, deployment and disciplinary processes and not just stick it into the current flawed process.

Nesta99
06/12/2023, 3:57 PM
Bodycams will eventually act as a deterrant to assault on referees in due course when such evidence is used to convict. It wont deter poor or agressive behaviour from players or the sideline as I doubt people will go as far as to use video evidence except in very exceptional circumstances. It would be more effective if clubs and members properly self 'policed' their members, identifying and recognising problem members and sanctioning them (end even their kids if they can controll themselves on the sideline after being warned). There will be issues of cost and how that is passed on to the players and parents etc.

Its becoming incresingly necessary to resort to technology but Id like to think that proper respect initiaives would have an impact first, Starting with the very highest level of the game setting example (Haaland prime offender this week). Not everyone here is in to rugby but they do set the standard on this issue. I cant recall a high profile assault on a ref at any level, not that i doubt it has never happened but not on the same level as GAA or football. From the elite to the youngest respect in the game gets engrained especially for the ref and maybe thats where we should start. I dont think its a coincidence either that in rugby the ref is mic'd up and broadcast live and in full so respect is earned too.

No refs no games so one way or another people have to leave the dirtbag at home!

thebronze14
07/12/2023, 11:46 AM
Mad that the refs will have them before the guards!

nr637
14/12/2023, 8:19 AM
Mad that the refs will have them before the guards!

Any guard that is a ref will get some early experience of them at least! :embarrassed: