PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere Saturday Night

akearins
30/08/2005, 10:05 AM
Was chatting to a lot of the players over the weekend and everyone of them I spoke with commented on how fantastic the supporters were on Saturday night and the noise created from all sections of the ground before they even mentioned the actual match.
This level of vocal support has been missing from the ground for far too long and we as supporters maybe cannot fully really understand how this type of atmosphere can and does influence and drive the team on, the palyers said when the whole ground started singing "it made the hairs stand on the back of their necks" another said "it was the best atmosphere he EVER played in "

We really were the 12th man (women) on Saturday night the palyers greatly appreciated it and in a way requested for us to keep up this atmosphere whether it is a First division game or a cup match.It can intimidate opposition and encourage our own side, so lets keep it up and play our part on match nights....... :D

showgies
30/08/2005, 10:39 AM
I think the Pats game maybe a turning point for supporters in the Main Stand. I believe that there were many supports who frequent the stand that were always willing to cheer and chant the team on, but were not confident enough to start things off. Many would have felt that if they started nobody to join in.

Last Saturday proved that there are a lot more people willing to get behind the team vocally than first thought, when given a little encouragement. I looked around and there were young and old in full voice.

Lets make this continue

1 9 2 8
30/08/2005, 7:08 PM
In the weekender Gerry Carr hailed the home support for their incredible vocal backing, especially in the games frantic closing stages.
“With 3 or 4 minutes to go to hear the chants of [The] Rovers, [The] Rovers was just brilliant. That type of encouragement made the lads head the ball and it made them win the tackles. It was unbelievable to listen to that buzz- it gives the player such a boost"
“I would like to personally thank the crowd........that is the best I heard from the fans since I have come back to Sligo"

It was also great to see so many flags at the game it added to the atmosphere

d rovers
31/08/2005, 11:19 AM
last saturday night was excellent - great game & a great atmosphere. it was great to hear the main stand in full voice. whether this continues or not is up to all main standers. i really hope it is a turning point & the noise in the showgrounds can continue from now on. monaghan is usually one of those games that is totally devoid of any atmosphere. let's change that by making some noise this saturday night & showing the lads on the pitch our support. sing your hearts out for the lads!

sligoman
31/08/2005, 12:26 PM
In fairness I think it was Gerry Carr who got the main stand going by raising his arms up and shouting at them to sing, so if he does it again on Saturday then I think they will. :)

robbie_B
31/08/2005, 12:36 PM
I was back in Sligo at the weekend so managed to get to the game. The level of football at the showgrounds has certainly improved. Thought a good few of the Rovers players could get a game at QPR!! I would have given man of the match to the right back, he has some spring, don't think he was outjumped all night. The front two played well off each other, the smaller feller didn't stop running all night and took his goal well.

I was in the main stand and it there was a good atmosphere, don't know what it like usually but when that 2nd goal went in the stand was in full voice, fair play to the St Pats fans, they made themselves heard.

Promotion and a cup win now that would be some season.

gustavo
31/08/2005, 1:06 PM
i would hope they have their ambitions set a bit higher than QPR :)

James
31/08/2005, 1:28 PM
maybe cork city :)
like conor o grady

lads saw bits of the sligo game on tv3 and it looked like a great atmosphere
i was there a few times for games before, stopping off overnight on trips to derry and always thought there was much potential there

best of luck getting promoted and adding a nice away trip to the list for us rather then the monotony of trips to the pale every 2 weeks

robbie_B
31/08/2005, 1:41 PM

Its costs between £22 - £26 to watch QPR and you don't get half the passion or footballing ability that Sligo showed the other night. Do you get many scouts from English clubs attending the eircom matches?

gustavo
31/08/2005, 2:08 PM
hope not!