PDA

View Full Version : Owen to join Newcastle

gustavo
30/08/2005, 9:47 AM
England striker Michael Owen has agreed to join Newcastle from Real Madrid.
The 25-year-old will have a medical on Tuesday before signing a four-year deal with the Magpies, who are believed to have paid a club record £17m for Owen.

Liverpool were Owen's preferred choice but his ex-club were only prepared to offer the £8m they sold him for.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4196760.stm

carrickharp
30/08/2005, 10:02 AM
Thank fook that has been tied up getting tired of it at this stage.

Aberdonian Stu
30/08/2005, 10:40 AM
It's also here

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/news/Kind=2/newsId=331963.html

Real will be very happy with the sale, a £9 million profit on a player who did a decent job for them but just didn't get enough chances to show what he could do.

Will be interesting to see how Souness shapes the team now. Luque doesn't want to be a winger and rightly so. I think he'll be out the door by Christmas (if not sooner) and leave a decent team in place for someone to take over. His purchases have been good and I think Boumsong has a lot more in him than the mediocrity that he's delivered so far.

superfrank
30/08/2005, 11:11 AM
I'm just glad he didn't join Liverpool. I hate them!

sligoman
30/08/2005, 11:26 AM
I'm just glad he didn't join Liverpool. I hate them!If you hate them then surely you would have wanted him to join them as he is another sh!t player to add to their collection? :confused: :D

Colbert Report
30/08/2005, 11:33 AM
Seriously, how did his value more than double when he spent a year on the bench?? Unreal how English teams will overspend on English players.

gustavo
30/08/2005, 11:39 AM
real madrid only paid half what newcastle paid for him last year because he had a year left on his contract and liverpool didnt want him to walk away for free hence the low fee.

ciaran76
30/08/2005, 12:13 PM
real madrid only paid half what newcastle paid for him last year because he had a year left on his contract and liverpool didnt want him to walk away for free hence the low fee.

Don't forget there was also some crap player Real got rid off too in the Owen deal last year ;)

declan hide
30/08/2005, 12:31 PM
in fact madrid must be laughing their arses off at liverpool. they take owen for next to nothing and make 9 million profit on him, get rid of nunez and sell morientes for a decent price. if i hear morientes is "class" one more time i will choke the person who says it.

Roadend
30/08/2005, 1:11 PM
Morientes is class........ed as a good striker. Too right they shouldn't have bought him, they've other more important areas to worry about strengthening. At least It should give Souness another few months stay of execution. One thing about Newcastle, are they the next Leeds?

Aberdonian Stu
30/08/2005, 1:29 PM
No.

They don't waste it the same way Leeds did with contracts guaranteeing huge salaries AFTER players left the club. Robbie Keane was still getting St£16k a week from them while playing for Spurs although I think he took a deferral or reduction when the trouble began.

There's also more income to be had, football wise, in Newcastle which means the spending sprees of Keegan/Dalglish could be coped with better than the likes of Leds. Geordies mightn't be rich but they plough dough into that club.

ken foree
30/08/2005, 1:42 PM
if newcy's midfield can stay fit and on form - emre and parker in particular - they should be comfortably midtable. but there's no accounting for their central defense..

Roadend
30/08/2005, 1:48 PM
No.

They don't waste it the same way Leeds did with contracts guaranteeing huge salaries AFTER players left the club. Robbie Keane was still getting St£16k a week from them while playing for Spurs although I think he took a deferral or reduction when the trouble began.

There's also more income to be had, football wise, in Newcastle which means the spending sprees of Keegan/Dalglish could be coped with better than the likes of Leds. Geordies mightn't be rich but they plough dough into that club.

Whatever way you look at it, NUFC outgoings are more than incomings. They've spent close to £40m so far this year with no CL football this year or the last few years. Basically it seems they are spending on the strength that you will be there regularly, which with their defence, will not happen.

Aberdonian Stu
30/08/2005, 2:22 PM
Actually I think the spendingis more an effort to be their regularly. There's no doubt that this is a club that has spent an awful lot of money over the years without much reward but what I'm saying is that the club is in a far better position to handle such a financial burden than most other clubs.

jockser
30/08/2005, 2:31 PM
If you hate them then surely you would have wanted him to join them as he is another sh!t player to add to their collection? :confused: :D

collection of european champions you forgot to add ;)

Superhoops
30/08/2005, 2:39 PM
He is injury prone. Dodgy hamstrings.

Newcastle won't get 30 games out of him. They havent got the squad to rotate their players. I fear it will all end in tears. I bet that Sven Goran Ericson is not too pleased as there is a good chance Owen will be crocked before WC finals next year.

noby
30/08/2005, 2:58 PM
No.

They don't waste it the same way Leeds did with contracts guaranteeing huge salaries AFTER players left the club.

It wasn't a question of contracts guaranteeing that, but the club was cutting it's losses, and I guess the likes of spurs knew that.

As for Owen, his only motivation for moving is next years WC. He (or his agent) tried his best to manufacture a move to Liverpool, Man Utd., and Arsenal. Newcastle seems a last resort. Granted, if he scores a few goals, no-one will care, but will he still want to be there this time next year, I wonder?

Aldini98
30/08/2005, 3:19 PM
collection of european champions you forgot to add ;)

Hear Hear, tossers have forgotten already !!!!!

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE (still) :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

4tothefloor
30/08/2005, 6:59 PM
Is it just me or can anybody else see how Owen is using Newcastle as a door mat? Basically, his move to Newcastle is a move of desperation. Initially he only wanted to go there on a season long loan, but with this deal that's exactly what he has got. He has a 12 month get out clause, and further get out clauses should Newcastle fail to qualify for the CL (which is gauranteed). I think it is, typically, a very dodgy transfer for Newcastle. If he does well for Newcastle, but is facing the UEFA Cup next season, he'll be off again.

His first choice was Liverpool. He met with Benitez and Rick Parry and was told two things. 1. Liverpool would not pay Real more than the £8m they sold him for, and 2. He was not gauranteed first team football at Liverpool - basically he wouldn't be the first choice striker as Liverpool will be playing with a target man. Following this, he realised the Liverpool move wasn't going to happen financially, plus he would only be slightly better off than he was at Madrid playing wise. So he chose Newcastle as they were the only other option. First team football in World Cup year - but that 12 month get out clause is there for a reason. This time next year, Owen will be the most hated man on Tyneside, and I'll put money on that....

It isn't really a coup for Newcastle, but a coup for Owen. How is losing £4m on a player next year, no matter how well he performs, a good deal? Think about it. Owen scores 20 goals for Newcastle, proves his worth in the premiership again, Liverpool/United/Barca come along at the end of the season and bid the £12m, thanks very much nice doing business with you Freddy! Newcastle are a bunch of morons, Freddy Shepard is King Moron. And you know Souness will still get sacked :D

sligoman
30/08/2005, 7:34 PM
I think someone is a little jealous that Owen didn't sign for Pool? :rolleyes: :D.

CollegeTillIDie
30/08/2005, 11:14 PM
Newcastle have not had a watertight back-four for more than 30 years. And that was the time they won the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup I believe.

mypost
31/08/2005, 4:21 AM
Is it just me or can anybody else see how Owen is using Newcastle as a door mat? Basically, his move to Newcastle is a move of desperation. Initially he only wanted to go there on a season long loan, but with this deal that's exactly what he has got. He has a 12 month get out clause, and further get out clauses should Newcastle fail to qualify for the CL (which is gauranteed). I think it is, typically, a very dodgy transfer for Newcastle. If he does well for Newcastle, but is facing the UEFA Cup next season, he'll be off again.

There are two certainties from that transfer:

1. As sure as Owen will score goals, Newcastle's defence will concede 2 or 3 times more goals than what he scores.

2. It's the final proof, that Benitez sold him last year, rather than the laughable, "he wanted to go" club spin. If Benitez wanted him to stay last year, he would have being breathing down RM's neck for his signature this summer. But, in his wisdom, Peter Crouch is a better player than Owen, an opinion solely based on scoring a 6-yard header while unmarked against us last season. Seven times-sold Crouch is an expensive waste of space from a side that ended up getting relegated.

"We don't want/need Michael Owen" is a phrase that Arsenal, Ushi-ted, and Liverpool will all come to regret come the end of the season.

ciaran76
31/08/2005, 7:29 AM

His first choice was Liverpool. He met with Benitez and Rick Parry and was told two things. 1. Liverpool would not pay Real more than the £8m they sold him for, and 2. He was not gauranteed first team football at Liverpool - basically he wouldn't be the first choice striker as Liverpool will be playing with a target man. Following this, he realised the Liverpool move wasn't going to happen financially, plus he would only be slightly better off than he was at Madrid playing wise. So he chose Newcastle as they were the only other option. First team football in World Cup year - but that 12 month get out clause is there for a reason. This time next year, Owen will be the most hated man on Tyneside, and I'll put money on that....

It isn't really a coup for Newcastle, but a coup for Owen. How is losing £4m on a player next year, no matter how well he performs, a good deal? Think about it. Owen scores 20 goals for Newcastle, proves his worth in the premiership again, Liverpool/United/Barca come along at the end of the season and bid the £12m, thanks very much nice doing business with you Freddy! Newcastle are a bunch of morons, Freddy Shepard is King Moron. And you know Souness will still get sacked :D

Totally agree with you 100%.

4tothefloor
31/08/2005, 3:35 PM
I think someone is a little jealous that Owen didn't sign for Pool? :rolleyes: :D.
Don't think so! If you read the merseyside thread you'll see that I wasn't bothered if he signed or not a week ago, simply because (a) He is too expensive, (b) We need plyers in other areas (c) He would not fit in to Benitez's formation of playing one up front. His deal with Newcastle is effectively a loan deal, so if he impresses enough this season, and one of Morientes/Crouch/Cisse fail miserably, it's just a case of going back next summer with £12m to those geniuses at Newcastle. In his press conference toady he even admitted that "unfortunately" the deal with Liverpool wasn't possible - says it all really :rolleyes:

It's the final proof, that Benitez sold him last year, rather than the laughable, "he wanted to go" club spin. If Benitez wanted him to stay last year, he would have being breathing down RM's neck for his signature this summer.
Owen left last year after running his contract down - I suppose the fact that he ran his contract down was Valencia manager Rafa Benitez's fault? :rolleyes: He left without giving Benitez a chance. Do you honestly think that if the same thing happened with say, Jose Mourinho, that Mourinho would buy back that player for double the money the following season? No chance. It was Owens fault, and nobody else's, that his move back to Liverpool failed. If he REALLY wanted to sign for Liverpool, he would have rejected Newcastle out of hand (which is what Parry & Benitez instructed him to do), thus leaving Liverpool as the only viable club, thus knocking down the price. Instead he put international ambition ahead of doing that, so good riddance to him.

BTW, the man you should have issue with is Rick Parry, not Rafa Benitez. Parry is a walking disaster. His incompetence is the real reason that Owen was allowed to leave in the first place. He almost lost us Gerrard in the summer by not communicating properly with the player. He presided over £100m of flops with Houllier. His stadium project is a drawn out disaster that lacks the funds. He can't attract investment in to what is one of the most famous football clubs in the world. And now, on transfer deadline day, he can't tie up any transfers for decent players for the reigning European Champions. Simao deal has just broken down, no central defender either and no replacement for Baros. How he gets away with not getting flak is beyond me. He consistently fails to do his job properly....prat

jockser
01/09/2005, 7:58 PM
Cmon 4tothefloor thats just a knee jerk reaction.Im disgusted by some of the posts on some of the liverpool forums. Winning the champions league has made peoples expectations way to high for this season

Here is a piece from my favourite columnist Paul Thompkins........

The reaction of many Liverpool fans on Wednesday 31st August confirmed my worst fears: expectations have been raised to unrealistic heights after Istanbul. Some of the moaning has been lacking all form of realism.

Frustration is understandable, but abuse of Rafa, Parry, Moores and co. seems extreme to say the least. Especially in ignorance at what's gone on behind the scenes.

I'd like to have seen more quality arrive, but I'm also satisfied that the squad has been sufficiently improved, and I'm also not forgetting the return of players who were missing for large chunks of last season, and who can give us a cutting edge: Gerrard, Alonso, Cissé, Kewell, Morientes and Sinama-Pongolle. Add those to the team who finished 5th (if they are fit and in form), and you have the potential for 20 more points.

Had we bought those five this summer, everyone would be saying we could win everything in sight. Some have yet to fire, but the talent is there. In spades.

Champions of Europe

How did becoming European Champions change things? Would Rafa's job have been any different had the Reds stumbled against Chelsea, or not revived against AC Milan?

Wasn't the rebuilding task always going to be the same?

Winning the Champions League has raised the cachet of the club; but it's also added millions to the value of any player we've pursued. While the coffers are fairly full, the money the club possesses does not come remotely close to matching the riches of Chelsea. Trying to do so could result in a Leeds United scenario; over-stretch, and die.

Two key areas weren't strengthened; but other areas were. We need to assess the squad as it now stands, not how it might otherwise have been. As well as first team players, a whole raft of promising youngsters have arrived; Rafa's job is long-term, and that must not be forgotten after the European success of last season.

The defence has conceded very few goals this season, and none in the league. Juventus and Chelsea could only breach it once in four Champions League games at the end of last season (and that goal should have been dealt with by the promising Carson). Add the hugely impressive Reina, who starred in La Liga last season, in place of the erratic Dudek and creaking Kirkland, and you already have more reliability.

The defence isn't perfect, and while cover was desired there's enough there for Rafa to work with for the time being. Anyone who thinks Sami Hyypia has lost his pace needs to watch some old videos: he never had any in the first place. Meanwhile, Carra has emerged as a real star, and Finnan an extremely solid right back. Josemi appears more comfortable at centre-half, and he can easily provide cover.

The lack of a right winger is more of a worry, but the Reds did everything to secure one: most notably let down by FIFA's absurd ranking system, whereby Gonzales' Chile were ranked beneath some of the worst teams in existence (teams who only play other meaningless teams). Figo was a close call, but opted for the glamourous life of Milan. Benfica asked too much for Simao.

But it's also a position where Luis Garcia can flourish, cutting inside on his left foot in the way Pires plays for Arsenal (opposite side, cutting in on his right foot). He won't hit the byline with pace to cross, which is a worry, but cutting inside will allow Finnan to bomb forward, and Finnan's attacking game (and crossing) is better than we've seen thus far.

Sinama-Pongolle is another whose pace, close control and trickery can prove useful on the right, and while at times Cissé appears lost there, he looks explosive and dangerous at others. It's alien to him, but he can learn. There's enough versatility in the squad to make the most of things, and let's not forget that Steven Gerrard can be the best in the world in that position, if Rafa can spare him from his central berth for a few games until January. (More likely now we have such quality in the heart of the midfield.)

Taking Stock

The squad as it stands today is what counts. Say the summer had been quiet, and Sissoko, Reina, Zenden and Crouch all arrived this week? What if Morientes was signed now, and not in January? –– wouldn't everyone be far happier, even though the squad would be exactly the same as it now is?

The squad that won the Champions League has been improved. That's right: the squad that won the Champions League. So far this season the Reds have a credible away draw and a home victory, with no goals conceded. Six games were successfully navigated on the way to the group stage of the Champions League. Hardly cause for despair.

You'd think we were Newcastle, in the relegation zone having played twice as many games, and out of Europe.

Gone from Anfield are a number of under-achievers and talented but erratic players, and in have come a collection of players who have to be given time, and the benefit of the doubt, but who will surely offer more in the long term.

Rafa has offloaded the players he didn't feel fitted into his style of play, and bought ones who might not be glamourous (such as Crouch) but who offer a better balance to the team. Let's also not forget how much better we would have been in the league last season had the side not been beset by injuries, especially those to Alonso, Gerrard and Cissé.

You may disagree, but Rafa has also bought three players who I believe will be in his strongest XI. While there will be rotation (it's his way), injuries, and a number of permutations exploited, there will also probably be an XI (4-5-1 formation) that features more often than others.

And this is how I see it: GK Reina, RB Finnan, CB Hyypia, CB Carragher, LB Traore (or Warnock, or Riise –– toss a coin on that one) –– LW Kewell, CM Alonso, CM Sissoko, Attacking CM Gerrard, RW Luis Garcia –– CF Crouch.

Hamann, Cissé, Zenden, Morientes, Pongolle and one or two others will all play a lot of games, but if everyone is fit, that looks like the team Rafa will opt for.

A sensible approach

I've read comments like: "It was just a few million extra for Simao, why didn't we just pay it?" (Perhaps I should be looking to sell copies of "Golden Past, Red Future" to these people for an extra £5, just to see if they are as casual with their own money?)

What if I told you that season ticket prices are going up by £200, after a price had been agreed? After all, that's the percentage extra (33%) that Benfica were looking for. You cannot be held to ransom. The same applied to Real Madrid's valuation of Michael Owen. The players who have arrived were bought at the right price, and that's the only way to work.

Zenden's arrival was trumpeted by many as a canny piece of business after his excellent season at Boro; a couple of anonymous displays, and he's written off as a waste of space. That's daft.

Say Sissoko turns out to be the next Vieira, as looks possible? Vieira was rated at £30m not so long ago. The 'glamour' surrounding Sissoko at the moment isn't there; in twelve months, he could be talked about as the brightest young player around. Vieira signed for Arsenal from AC Milan reserves; Wenger knew his true potential, but I doubt many Gooners did. It took time to make it look a great bit of business.

Say Reina turns out to be the next Schmeichel? After all, when Schmeichel arrived he was a mere nobody. Again, only hindsight can tell.

It's all Ifs, Buts and Maybes, but so what? Unless we sign players for £30m, what else will we get? If you sign unbridled potential, you either get them at the right age and the right price, or you pay £20m+. Rafa has had to catch them before they've fully blossomed; the same concept as signing Shaun Wright-Phillips in 2002, rather than 2005.

"People are laughing at us," I've been told.

Let them.

Invite them to have a look around our trophy room. Twenty-thousand turned up at St James' Park to see Newcastle parade their latest trophy player, and a fine one they've acquired. Liverpool, as a club, prefer to parade trophies: such as when 500,000 turned up to see the European Cup weave its way through the streets (it didn't need Owen's help either, did it?). It didn't need any 'superstar' signings last year to achieve that. Just very good players.

Call me insane, but I'd much rather have our hierarchy (responsible for six trophies in four years, plus two European Super Cups) than Newcastle's. Despite spending a comparable amount of money to the Reds, they live in Dreamland.

Listen to Freddie Shepherd: "Alan Shearer reminded Michael Owen he had this same decision a decade ago when he left Blackburn and could have gone to Manchester United. He chose Newcastle and look what it's done for him."

So that would be watch on as United won six league titles, a handful of FA Cups and the Champions League, while Newcastle won, um, err, sweet FA? I have nothing against Newcastle as such, but let's not be jealous of them. That's insane!

Newcastle have Michael Owen, but Liverpool have a manager who's achieved more in the last two years than any other.

4tothefloor
01/09/2005, 11:15 PM
Cmon 4tothefloor thats just a knee jerk reaction.
What is a knee jerk reaction? That Parry has been consistantly poor for the last 4 years? It's the truth - show me an example where he has shone in that time. You won't find one. I'm not the one crying because Michael Owen didn't sign, or the one who consistantly criticises Benitez - that's mypost. I back Benitez 100%, and back him 100% in his signings. Moores, while I think it's nearing his time to step aside and give it to someone else who is willing to invest, I have no real criticism of him. Parry I do have, and that goes back a few years, so no knee-jerk reaction here.

The problem we have now is that firstly, we have a paper thin squad. And based on the injuries of last season, and the number of injury prone players that we have, we are in big trouble if an injury list develops. We don't have the depth or the quality. Secondly, Benitez's formation and tactics will struggle without a right winger. His aim of playing the target man (Crouch/Morientes) is based on getting crosses in from out wide. Hopefully Pongolle will do till January, 'cos Cisse or Garcia are not the answer. There is a major imbalance at the moment. I also worry about the defense, Hyypia will get tired, with no respite. Relatively cheap, but quality stop gaps like Solano/Stelios should have been tied up a long time ago. These are players that publicly stated they wanted to join Liverpool. That's the despair, not unrealistic expectations. Spurs, Everton & Newcastle all improving their squads significantly - that's the worry, stemming from the despair.

mypost
02/09/2005, 5:30 AM
I back Benitez 100%, and back him 100% in his signings.

Really?? Where was your backing for Josemi, Nunez, Pellegrino, Morientes, etc, etc,...?? All Benitez signings, all attacked by you at some point or another. You backed him to bring in a centre back, - didn't do it, backed him to sign a right-winger, - didn't do it, backed him to bring in a quality striker, - and didn't do it, while turning his nose up at goal machine, Michael Owen. Still back him??

The problem we have now is that firstly, we have a paper thin squad.

And who's fault is that, when we have no debts, and got €30 million from UEFA from last year's CL??

Answer = Rafael Benitez. :(

Roadend
02/09/2005, 11:01 AM
Really?? Where was your backing for Josemi, Nunez, Pellegrino, Morientes, etc, etc,...?? All Benitez signings, all attacked by you at some point or another. You backed him to bring in a centre back, - didn't do it, backed him to sign a right-winger, - didn't do it, backed him to bring in a quality striker, - and didn't do it, while turning his nose up at goal machine, Michael Owen. Still back him??

And who's fault is that, when we have no debts, and got €30 million from UEFA from last year's CL??

Absolute rubbish, we have documented debts, between 10-20m Sterling. Most clubs in the premiership are run with some sort of debt in fact all bar Chelsea I would imagine. The new stadium also has to be taken into consideration when talking about what income we get, the delays caused by the NWDA have cost us money too.
Considering Moro and Josemi haven't had a run in the side for any considerable lenght of time, writing them off is just plain silly. Benitez has not been held to ransom for any purchase since he got here, and I for one am delighted by this approach. Blaiming Benitez for not overpaying for players from clubs who want to to extort Liverpool simply because they are european Champion is laugable.

mypost
02/09/2005, 11:35 AM
we have documented debts, between 10-20m Sterling. Most clubs in the premiership are run with some sort of debt in fact all bar Chelsea I would imagine.

In comparison to most Premiership clubs, we have virtually no debt, following the CL windfall, which practically wiped last year's debt out. Then there is money for reaching this year's CL too. The club is swimming in money, but TPTB adopt an Irish government attitude to it, i.e. spend it on nothing. John Wright-Phillips went to Chelsea, Michael Owen went to Newcastle, Vieira went to Juventus, in comparison we bought Peter Crouch. :rolleyes: Not in the same league, I think you'll agree. We may not have Chelsea's resources, but neither do most of our main rivals.

The new stadium also has to be taken into consideration when talking about what income we get, the delays caused by the NWDA have cost us money too.

Don't want a new stadium, period!! It's a white elephant, takes years to build, and is a waste of money that should be invested in the team instead.

Considering Moro and Josemi haven't had a run in the side for any considerable length of time, writing them off is just plain silly.

From reading my previous post, and the Merseyside thread in more detail, you can see that I'm not the poster who is busy writing them off.

Benitez has not been held to ransom for any purchase since he got here, and I for one am delighted by this approach.

It depends what side of the fence you sit on. If you want quality players, you pay the asking price. If you don't want to pay it, said player goes somewhere else, and you end up winning nothing. The classic example was Damien Duff. We had 2 years to buy him from Blackburn, but wouldn't pay the fee asked. We were crying out for a player of his quality. Chelsea paid the money for him, and won the league. We spent the same amount of money on Harry Kewell and Djibril Cisse combined, both of whom Benitez recently tried to flog. :(

In football as in life, you get what you pay for. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. If you pay €20 million for a player, he will inadvertently contribute more to your side than say, a player brought in on a Bosman. If you don't pay the money, that's fine, just expect to be watching your rivals who invested in their squad, collecting trophies and prizes on tv, instead of you.

Roadend
02/09/2005, 11:58 AM
In comparison to most Premiership clubs, we have virtually no debt, following the CL windfall, which practically wiped last year's debt out. Then there is money for reaching this year's CL too. The club is swimming in money

I'm afraid that just simply isn't true, Liverpool are not as flush as you seem to believe they are. A lot of this year's CL money went into paying for players bought last year and this.

In football as in life, you get what you pay for. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

Adopting Arsenal's approach to transfers, that doesn't hold true. Arsenal have paid realtive peanuts for Vieira, Henry, Toure, Petit and Overmars, Making a huge profit on the last two and Vieira, I hasten to add. Emerging from the GH spending years LFC are definitley once bitten, twice shy. Big bucks for big flops. Spending big has given us a false sense of security about the quality of players in recent years.

jockser
02/09/2005, 5:17 PM
What is a knee jerk reaction? That Parry has been consistantly poor for the last 4 years? It's the truth - show me an example where he has shone in that time. You won't find one.
Rafa Benitez and the Gerard episodes.....parry did the work here not moores. Im not defending parry either as he should be better.

The problem we have now is that firstly, we have a paper thin squad. And based on the injuries of last season, and the number of injury prone players that we have, we are in big trouble if an injury list develops. We don't have the depth or the quality.
Paper thin? where is it paper thin? what positions are paper thin? Maybe central defence thats about it though. Also lets not base anything on last years injuries coz last years was the worst year EVER for LFC according to the medical staff at Anfield. Injury prone players? Gerrard Alonso and Cisse all broke bones it wasnt as if they pulled recurring muscles or anything.

Secondly, Benitez's formation and tactics will struggle without a right winger. His aim of playing the target man (Crouch/Morientes) is based on getting crosses in from out wide.
I disagree here. its not all about crosses from the wings its to hold the ball up also for midfield coming through the middle such as gerrard alonso garcia.

Hopefully Pongolle will do till January, 'cos Cisse or Garcia are not the answer. There is a major imbalance at the moment. I also worry about the defense, Hyypia will get tired, with no respite. Relatively cheap, but quality stop gaps like Solano/Stelios should have been tied up a long time ago. These are players that publicly stated they wanted to join Liverpool. That's the despair, not unrealistic expectations. Spurs, Everton & Newcastle all improving their squads significantly - that's the worry, stemming from the despair.
So these guys say they want to join liverpool not our fault they were over priced. Rafa REFUSED to buy overpriced players NOT Moores or Parry. Houllier spent well over 100million on overpriced cr*p players so lets just trust Rafa as you say and all take a chill pill. The fact is the champions of Europe HAVE improved the depth of their squad with QUALITY players. We will do alot better this season in the league which is what we want.

jockser
02/09/2005, 5:20 PM

SAD SAD SAD

Who has Just won the European Cup?Without "goal machine" owen ?
Answer = Rafael Benitez.

Oh and we were 20million in debt last year after paying houllier and staff off and missing out on CL football the year before

4tothefloor
02/09/2005, 11:00 PM
I back his judgement. And how many times do you have to be told that Josemi, Nunez, Pellegrino are/were stop gap signings? What part of 'squad player' do you not understand? Pellegrino was a 6 month contract. Nunez was free, who we have since sold on at profit. Josemi is a squad player. And there isn't one Liverpool fan out there who is happy with Morientes. All I've ever said about him is that he is not doing the business, not just goals, he is not pulling his weight on the pitch thus far.

You PM'd me recently asking me to detail how long I have been going to Anfield, what games I've gone to, and you then went on to name all the ones you've been to yourself, right down to the exact date. Was it an exercise in childishness to see if you are in some way more qualified to speak on Liverpool because you thought I hadn't been to many games?

As jockser said, you're views on Benitez are sad. You're information on the club swimming in money is a load of BS as well. Liverpool had about £16m to spend on players this week. We spent £40m last season, that has to be paid for too you know. They wouldn't go beyond £12m for either Owen or Sabrosa because they simply couldn't afford to. Benitez should be applauded for not bringing in players for the sake of it, or paying over the odds.

John Wright-Phillips went to Chelsea
That's what your dealing with...... :D

So these guys say they want to join liverpool not our fault they were over priced. Rafa REFUSED to buy overpriced players NOT Moores or Parry.
I don't agree jockser that Stelios and Solano were over priced. Solano is well worth £1.5m, as is Stelios, who had a £1m release clause. Hardly over-priced. Benitez wanted to buy Solano, but failed because incompetent Parry put no plan B in place. Some CEO he is....

mypost
03/09/2005, 5:19 AM
Originally posted by mypost
So these guys say they want to join Liverpool not our fault they were overpriced. Rafa REFUSED to buy overpriced players, NOT Moores or Parry.

Tell me where I posted that, please?? :confused: If you're going to quote someone, make sure that you're quoting the right person, when doing so. :mad:

And how many times do you have to be told that Josemi, Nunez, Pellegrino are/were stop gap signings? What part of 'squad player' do you not understand? Pellegrino was a 6 month contract. Nunez was free, who we have since sold on at profit. Josemi is a squad player. And there isn't one Liverpool fan out there who is happy with Morientes. All I've ever said about him is that he is not doing the business, not just goals, he is not pulling his weight on the pitch thus far.

Whether they are/were stop gap signings, squad players, Bosmans, getting their game often, or whatever, is irrelevant. You, have previously lambasted those players and others, but you then contradict yourself with, in your own words:

I back Benitez 100%, and back him in his signings 100%

So you either back his signings or you don't!! You can't have it both ways. Make up your mind!! :rolleyes:

You PM'd me recently asking me to detail how long I have been going to Anfield, what games I've gone to, and you then went on to name all the ones you've been to yourself, right down to the exact date. Was it an exercise in childishness to see if you are in some way more qualified to speak on Liverpool because you thought I hadn't been to many games?

Curiosity.

I'm not going to go into the specific details of a PM on the public forum, but your reply to it suggested to me that you're only interested in travelling to the glamour games, like most foreign fans, instead of the more bread-and-butter ones.

You're information on the club swimming in money is a load of BS as well. Liverpool had about £16m to spend on players this week. We spent £40m last season, that has to be paid for too you know. They wouldn't go beyond £12m for either Owen or Sabrosa because they simply couldn't afford to.

The club is loaded, with no unmanageable debt. €30 million from last year's CL win, + win bonuses, another €15 million guaranteed from this year's adventure at least + more win bonuses, which is increased further as England has 4 teams in the competition this year, instead of 5. Throw in the sales of Baros and Biscan, another €20 million odd, which gets them off the wage bill, Sky TV money, sold out home games, and it all adds to a healthy financial state. Abandon plans for an unwanted, and unnecessary new stadium, and if Moores ever sells out to Steve Morgan, and you'll find that the club could have enormous financial muscle. I expect a side who are the European Champions to attract top players to the club, not waste money on the likes of crappy Crouch, and sh-itty Sissoko. Benitez refused to pay Benfica and Real Madrid's asking price for players, when he could have. Jose Mourinho, was quoted €30 million odd for JWP, and €36 million for Essien. Granted, they were crazy fees, but he paid it. Result: Chelsea are top of the league. You get what you pay for.

Benitez should be applauded for not bringing in players for the sake of it, or paying over the odds.

I'll applaud Benitez when his bunch of Spanish mates, and trialists, win us the Premiership title. However, I won't applaud him for selling our best striker, costing us 4th spot last season, then going behind the players back to try to force Gerrard and Cisse to leave this summer, then insist it was their decision to leave the club. I won't applaud him either for starting with the wrong team in Istanbul, which required another Houdini act to save the European Cup. The guy is a shady character, who frequently fks up, and poses as many questions as he answers.

jockser
05/09/2005, 8:09 PM
I'll applaud Benitez when his bunch of Spanish mates, and trialists, win us the Premiership title. However, I won't applaud him for selling our best striker, costing us 4th spot last season, then going behind the players back to try to force Gerrard and Cisse to leave this summer, then insist it was their decision to leave the club. I won't applaud him either for starting with the wrong team in Istanbul, which required another Houdini act to save the European Cup. The guy is a shady character, who frequently fks up, and poses as many questions as he answers.
:D :D funny guy