PDA

View Full Version : FAI: Match Preview | Republic of Ireland v New Zealand

Foot.ie
20/11/2023, 5:00 PM
https://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/2682743%20%282%29.jpg

New Zealand are the final visitors to the Aviva Stadium this year for the friendly match which is set to be James McClean's final game in a green shirt with the Derry man set to retire from international football.
There are over 41,000 tickets sold for the international friendly for the fixture with tickets available to purchase from Ticketmaster here. (https://www.ticketmaster.ie/international-friendly-republic-of-ireland-v-new-zealand-dublin-21-11-2023/event/18005F1CFE243EE7)
Match Details
Fixture: Republic of Ireland v New Zealand
Date: Tuesday, November 21
Competition: International Friendly
Kick-off: 7.45pm
Venue: Aviva Stadium
TV: RTE
Match Officials
Referee: Urs Schnyder (SUI)
Assistant Referee 1: Marco Zürcher (SUI)
Assistant Referee 2: Pascal Hirzel (SUI)
Fourth Official: Neil Doyle (IRL)
Team News
Nathan Collins has been ruled out of the match against New Zealand through injury and has returned to his club. Stephen Kenny has confirmed Evan Ferguson is fit enough to be included in the squad but also confirmed there will be a number of changes to the starting XI for the friendly match.
MD-1 Press Conference v New Zealand | Manager Stephen Kenny
"We played Holland the other night and they are one of the best teams in Europe. People will have their own opinions on it but I thought it was a good game of football.
“Holland were the better team but we fought to the end of that game. It was a tight game in Holland that we lost 1-0 and deserved to lose. It was one of those games, I think with a bit of perspective on that.
"We've got one missing from the squad really, Nathan Collins has an ankle ligaments injury. The squad is as it is otherwise. We'll see today but I think Evan seems to be ok and he'll be included in the squad.
"If it is my last game, so be it. Regardless of what decision is made and if there is a new manager to come in after me, I’ll wish them well, and I’ll wish the team well moving forward."
MD-1 Press Conference v New Zealand | Defender James McClean
“I will be honest with you. It's not because of my body, or I feel my ability has diminished. I still feel as fit as ever.
“I still believe I am the best person for the role. I have never doubted myself. I played 46 games out of 46 in the Championship last season, 45 of them starts. Ability-wise, I was second for full-backs in goals and assists, and for most successful tackles in the whole league.
“There's other factors. I have personal reasons and my own reasons for stepping away, I feel now is the right time to step aside. Let others come through, I've had my time, I have no regrets. For me now is the perfect time to step away, I have no regrets.”
WATCH FULL PRESS CONFERENCE ON FAI TV (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoZhX5wiF3U&t=486s)
Match Facts | Republic of Ireland v New Zealand
- The only other meeting between the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand was in November 2019, a friendly match in Dublin. Ireland won 3-1 with goals from Derrick Williams, Sean Maguire and Callum Robinson.
- New Zealand are winless in 11 meetings with European nations (D2 L9), losing the last eight in a row. Their last such win was in a friendly against Serbia in May 2010.
- Republic of Ireland have only lost two of their last 15 friendly matches (W8 D5), losing 3-0 to England in November 2020 and 2-1 to Norway in November 2022.
- Republic of Ireland have lost their last two home games, going down against Netherlands and Greece in European Championship qualifying. They’ve not lost three in a row on home soil against official nations since October 1972.
- New Zealand have won just one of their last 11 matches in all competitions (D3 L7), beating China PR 2-1 in a friendly back in March.
- Callum Robinson has scored in two of his last four appearances for Republic of Ireland, with the Boys in Green winning all six games in which he’s found the back of the net. His first ever senior international goal came against New Zealand back in November 2019.
- Should he feature in this game, Evan Ferguson would become the youngest ever player to reach 10 caps for Republic of Ireland (19 years & 33 days) and just the fifth player to do so before their 20th birthday (also Ian Harte, Robbie Keane, Gavin Bazunu, and Troy Parrott).
- James McClean was an unused substitute last time out against Netherlands, however, should he appear in this game he’ll become the outright fifth most capped player for Republic of Ireland (currently on 102 appearances, level with Steve Staunton), behind Robbie Keane (146), Shay Given (134), John O’Shea (118) and Kevin Kilbane (110).
Republic of Ireland Squad | New Zealand
1. Gavin Bazunu (GK)
2. Matt Doherty
3. Ryan Manning
4. Shane Duffy
5. Dara O'Shea
6. Josh Cullen
7. Callum Robinson
8. Alan Browne
9. Evan Ferguson
10. Adam Idah
11. James McClean
12. Andrew Omobamidele
13. Mark Sykes
14. Jayson Molumby
15. Liam Scales
16. Caoimhin Kelleher (GK)
17. Jason Knight
18. Jamie McGrath
19. Troy Parrott
20. Mikey Johnston
21. Andrew Moran
23. Mark Travers (GK)

Ireland Category:
Senior Men (https://foot.ie/ireland/teams/senior-men)

Choose Site:
Ireland

Match Preview / Report:
Match Preview

Match ID:
Republic of Ireland - New Zealand | 2023 - Senior Men Friendlies | 2039093

Introduction:
Republic of Ireland will be looking to end their 2023 campaign on a high in the international friendly against New Zealand.

[MORE (https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/match-preview-republic-of-ireland-v-new-zealand)]