PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Culture in the EL

Vitruvian Man
29/08/2005, 7:59 PM
Maybe one of the mods can make this into a poll for me.

How drunk do you prefer to be when you watch your team play.

1. Stoney cold sober - the football is good enough for me.
2. A little tipsy - a few looseners to get me singing, but I'm still in control.
3. Mickey Monk - You don't expect me to watch that sh!te sober, do you?
4. Thrashed - Enough pints inside me to shag Anne Doyle
5. Blotto - Enough pints inside me to shag Robbie Doyle.*

* For female posters just reverse 4 & 5

This is a semi-serious semi-humorous topic. I heard an interesting debate that the Eircom league would never be taken seriously until it cleaned up its act with regard to administration and marketing. But, it would never do that because there is such a big drinking culture among the fans and officials of the clubs. The league is run by p iss-heads, for p iss-heads.

The main attraction of El football to me is to meet up with all the friends I have made in the club. And I would never have met famous EL personalities such as Big Dec or Tom The Gom if I was a tee-totaller.

The last time I watched a game sober was when we were beaten 2-4 by Dublin City and if I hadn't been already driven to drink years ago that match would definately have done it.

So what do you all think, and if you don't feel like a serious response tell us your funniest drink-related football story.

Anto McC
29/08/2005, 8:35 PM
I'm a non-drinker so NO.1 for me

pineapple stu
29/08/2005, 8:40 PM
Like to have a couple of pints before a game. I think the cameradery of the eL and having pints with opposing fans is one of the things which sets it aside from the Premiership (ironically, for a bar-stool league!) - especially after the league, wihch is slightly away from the question asked...

thejollyrodger
29/08/2005, 9:24 PM
1 for me

Drumcondra Red
29/08/2005, 9:42 PM
Number 2 for me always a couple of pints before the game to loosen the vocal chords!!!

MariborKev
29/08/2005, 9:44 PM
Number one for me

sligoman
29/08/2005, 9:46 PM
Tom The GomIsn't this the guy that's always at our matches, from Cork I think? :confused:

superfrank
29/08/2005, 10:26 PM
Isn't this the guy that's always at our matches, from Cork I think? :confused:
There's a weirdo at our matches called Tom too and he's from Kerry, I think. ****ing weirdo!

Anyway, it'll be number 1 until March 31st next year, then it'll be number 2. I enjoy the odd drink but I'm still underage and therefore don't drink as much as I'd like to.

Vitruvian, I think Roo might have something to say about option number 5. Just warning you!

dahamsta
29/08/2005, 10:37 PM
* For female posters just reverse 4 & 5I'll give you the poll just cos that made me laugh. :)

adam

Dodge
29/08/2005, 11:26 PM
For home games a group of us meet in town after work for a few and then on to Inchicore for the gaem. for away games it varies but this season has seen the need for drink.

Only time I drink tbh...

Red4Eva
29/08/2005, 11:45 PM
would rather be sober during games. never drank b4 game in showgrounds but who doesn't like a nice relaxing drink in century homes to go with your 3 points

sonofstan
30/08/2005, 12:07 AM
Option 1 - but the football often isn't good enough....

Patrick Dunne
30/08/2005, 12:47 AM
..before home games (sometimes, I might have one), but travelling to Cobh on a cold Saturday night to witness a brutal game in front of 70 "customers" requires at least three pints in the clubhouse.

Cosmo
30/08/2005, 8:03 AM
Varies for every match for me.

For home matches and away matches in dublin I'd usually be number 2.

For any other away match I'm 3 or 4.

Though if I had the choice I'd be number 2 every time

Macy
30/08/2005, 8:14 AM
Drink to at least 3 on the list - the more the better tbh...

Unfortunately have to drive to more and more games so not really much option but 1 a lot of the time :(

Poor Student
30/08/2005, 10:30 AM
1 for me, don't drink.

tiktok
30/08/2005, 11:02 AM
2 I guess.
Usually don't drink before hand though it's more to do with havig the car.
Given the choice I'd usually have a quick one or two prior to a match

Réiteoir
30/08/2005, 12:19 PM
I'd guess 2 for me

Being brought up watching non-league football in England it is always customary (especially travelling to away games) to stop at a small pub in the town where the game is taking place a few hours before kick off - get some lunch in (normally burger / pie / chips / steak, etc.) and a couple of pints before heading up to the ground.

I always try to make it into Dalymount about 90 minutes before kick-off - have a couple whilst meeting people I've not seen for a while, take in the game and have a few more after

fbtn
30/08/2005, 1:20 PM
For me depends if it is home or away and who we are playing but it can vary from 1 to 5 I'm afraid :D

Colm
30/08/2005, 7:35 PM
I would usually have 3 or 4 pints in the TCT before home games and then maybe one in the Horseshoe. Plus one at HT. So make of that what you will.

For away games, well that's another matter entirely!! :)

btid1
30/08/2005, 9:06 PM
Due to the fact that I have to drive to most games due to my location its usually no.1 for me unfortunately.But for Cup finals or European games I usually do my best to have a few pints beforehand.

Bohs Till I Die!

pineapple stu
30/08/2005, 11:52 PM
For me depends if it is home or away and who we are playing but it can vary from 1 to 5 I'm afraid :D
Does Robbie Doyle know?! :eek: :D

Rory H
31/08/2005, 10:30 AM
Does Robbie Doyle know?! :eek: :D

he wont admit it,but he knows :)

EnDai
31/08/2005, 10:55 AM
I don't drink much at games, but like to have 3 or 4 to get me to start opening my mouth. Otherwise I'm not in any way vocal, unfortunately. So, in fact, its for the good of the team that I have some pints before the match, and at least one top up at half time! :)

Supersaint3
31/08/2005, 11:03 AM
2 for me, I like a few pints in the glen after, before the mad dash for the bus, unless I'm driving... no pints then, though you'd be gasping ;)

Schumi
31/08/2005, 11:49 AM
2 for me as well although I've reached 3 (or maybe even 4 :D ) at some away games.

Rover 2 U
31/08/2005, 11:58 AM
(or maybe even 4 :D )

That'll be grant week then will it? :rolleyes:

anto eile
31/08/2005, 1:49 PM
ususally 2-but like getting locked anyway (especially away trips) but not specifically because the football is shiite

Slash/ED
31/08/2005, 1:58 PM
Sometimes 1 sometimes 2 on home games, 3 for away games. Depends really, I prefer an after match pint really.

Wiseguy
31/08/2005, 3:42 PM
Usually 2 for me.I love a few pints before the game especially in Fagans.I usually have to drive back to Longford from work at breakneck speeds to make the Bus to the away matches so the first few pints hit the spot just right.A few in Kinnegad on the way back and the mood is on me for several more beverages.Get to Longford and into the local and get as drunk as a monkey.Wake up the following morning and spend hlf the day looking for the car because i was a "cute whore" the night before and parked the car somewhere safe.It's almost a ritual at this stage.
On a seperate note,i think it's great where most fans of opposing teams can meet in a bar before,during and after a match and have a few beers together with any bother.It's this that is great about the EL and i for one would hate to see it any other way.

holidaysong
31/08/2005, 5:10 PM
No. 2 for me during game increasing to a No. 3/4 after the match. :)

Neish
31/08/2005, 7:46 PM
No. 2 usually a few pints before the game with the opposing fans is part and parcel of tbeing a LOI fan for me.

Although I have expierenced all levels from 1-5

And depending on the result anything from 5 and up after the game

Colm
31/08/2005, 7:51 PM
I never knew ye all drank with opposing fans so much. The only set of fans we always do that with is Derry.

Dodge
31/08/2005, 8:36 PM
Don't drink with awy fans but if they're in the same pub I'll have a chat... bit like when you're in McDowells Colm

Martinho II
31/08/2005, 11:45 PM
at home matches depending on the mood 2-3 with me and maybe the odd 4 after a quick nip too many! away because i drive from carrick to longford i tend to not to drink any more at away matches!

section os best moments have being when we were hammered like vaduz game and carmarthen game this year! :D

showry
01/09/2005, 8:48 AM
couple of pints before the game and a few cans of linden village from the yella house for during usually gets me up for a bit of linesman baiting

fbtn
01/09/2005, 11:40 AM
I never knew ye all drank with opposing fans so much. The only set of fans we always do that with is Derry.

We had a good rip with the Cork fans this year in Finn Park for the first game of the season - before and after the match. We'd a real late one in the Junction with five or six of the Cork lads that were staying.

Rovers, Drogheda, Longford, Bohs, Derry and Cork. We've all met up for pints this season in our local when we're playing at home.

Rovers, Drogs and Derry of course are the best of craic though - the rest of yis drink like wuss's :D ;)

James
01/09/2005, 1:37 PM
We had a good rip with the Cork fans this year in Finn Park for the first game of the season - before and after the match. We'd a real late one in the Junction with five or six of the Cork lads that were staying.

yea that was a good night alrite, we were staying upstairs in the junction and
remember walking in after a few pints up the stairs but took a wrong turn and walked in on your supporters meeting :)
had a drink with ye after we got back from bono's gig down the road for after hours in the junction..
have dranks with bohs in dayler and drogs and longford away too

wws
01/09/2005, 2:02 PM
be interesting to see how many Derry fans make it out to the Prague game....chuckle

Maynard
01/09/2005, 2:23 PM
Usually number 1 or 2 for me, depending on where the game is on. Although now that we're back in Whitehall the prices of the drink alone could have me anywhere from 3 on :D ...Although probably not enough for a "Doyle sandwich" :o

Colie
01/09/2005, 2:43 PM
Watching a match is a lot like life - more enjoyable when drunk..... :p

Colm
01/09/2005, 6:04 PM
Don't drink with awy fans but if they're in the same pub I'll have a chat... bit like when you're in McDowells Colm

Yeah I know what you mean now.
That happens a lot but the only set of fans we've ever actually arranged to meet for drinks is Derry if my memory serves me correctly.

Dodge
01/09/2005, 6:15 PM
Yeah but the point the riginal poster was making was tha you can't do tht in most leagues. Certainly not the ones in Britain. Its definitely a positive for this league

shedite
01/09/2005, 6:29 PM
I drive to most home games so 1. Away games probably about 3 because of the long bus trips.

I remember being in the bar in Dayler with a certain ex-forumer (now banned). He drank half a bottle of vodka on the bus and was quite drunk. We were in the bar after the game and he kept asking "when are we going out for the second half", "we're gonna miss the second half of the game". He had absolutely no recolection of the game. And it was actually a good game 3-2 City. Ironically I think it was Robbie Doyle who got sent off for Bohs that night

pete
01/09/2005, 6:48 PM
That happens a lot but the only set of fans we've ever actually arranged to meet for drinks is Derry if my memory serves me correctly.

Shocking stuff Colm mixing with the enemy. ;)

Colm
01/09/2005, 6:51 PM
Shocking stuff Colm mixing with the enemy. ;)

Shelbourne are my only enemy! ;)

Éanna
01/09/2005, 7:31 PM
I drive to most away games, so don't drink before them, usually allow myself one or two bus trips plus one or two overnights per season to make up for it though. For home games, I'd have anywhere between 2 to 4 pints beforehand, and then off on the tear afterwards, althought the odd home game I do give it a miss. European games are a different story altogether! As for drinking with opposition fans, I think its great, one of my favourite things about this league, and I'd know fans from most clubs at this stage, at least to see because of it.