PDA

View Full Version : Bray in the cup

Schumi
29/08/2005, 5:33 PM
If we beat Longford tomorrow have Bray away in the quarters. Could be worse.

Poor Student
29/08/2005, 5:35 PM
If we beat Longford tomorrow have Bray away in the quarters. Could be worse.

Than the location? I don't think so. ;) On the team? Not too bad a draw. :D

Bald Student
29/08/2005, 5:40 PM
I was in LIDL's in Longford over the weekend and got a new pair of thermal underware. Looks like they might be coming into service sooner than expected.

Just hope we win tomorrow now.

Schumi
29/08/2005, 5:42 PM
Than the location? I don't think so. ;) On the team? Not too bad a draw. :D
Agreed but the price of thermal underwear and a few blankets is probably worth it to avoid Derry or Cork (especially away). :D

Schumi
29/08/2005, 5:43 PM
I was in LIDL's in Longford over the weekend and got a new pair of thermal underware.
Hmm, a little disturbing that we both thought of thermal underwear after this draw!

Poor Student
29/08/2005, 5:44 PM
Anyone have any info on the length of injuries to McNally and Kenna? Can't feckin believe our centre back line is taken out just as practically everyone is fit. But that's football. I don't fancy seeing Tony Mac lining up at the back. We lose his effectiveness in midfield and he's not so great in defence. Prime example of this is the 3-2 Pat's game at Richmond.

John83
29/08/2005, 6:04 PM
Anyone have any info on the length of injuries to McNally and Kenna? Can't feckin believe our centre back line is taken out just as practically everyone is fit. But that's football. I don't fancy seeing Tony Mac lining up at the back. We lose his effectiveness in midfield and he's not so great in defence. Prime example of this is the 3-2 Pat's game at Richmond.
Nothing on Ally Mac, but Hooper thought Kenna might be back in a week when I spoke with him at Longford. Could see a Shortall-Tony Mac central defense for a game or two though. Still, that would let Hurley move into the centre of midfield and let us keep Gannon playing, neither of which I'd be concerned by.

Bray's a good draw, regardless of the near-Arctic conditions we always have to endure there. We have to beat Longford first though, remember? :)

Longfordian
29/08/2005, 6:07 PM
McNally was carried out to ye're bus on Saturday from the dressing room, looked like his hamstring was fooked completely though he looked a bit sheepish being chaired out..

Poor Student
29/08/2005, 6:14 PM
Nothing on Ally Mac, but Hooper thought Kenna might be back in a week when I spoke with him at Longford. Could see a Shortall-Tony Mac central defense for a game or two though. Still, that would let Hurley move into the centre of midfield and let us keep Gannon playing, neither of which I'd be concerned by.

Sorry but that does worry me. A Hurley and Dicker midfield is too weak and inexperienced. We need Tony Mac in there to break down opposition attacks. It might give us a bit more driving forward from midfield though. I've yet to see Gannon play that much except the League Cup 1st round. He sounds like he's douing well. If our defence with Tony Mac is also going to include Micko again then that's a recepie for disaster. Longford are also going to have Ferguson and Baker back (I think). It will be tough tomorrow. :(

John83
29/08/2005, 6:15 PM
McNally was carried out to ye're bus on Saturday from the dressing room, looked like his hamstring was fooked completely though he loked a bit sheepish being chaired out..
****. That's the last place I'd take a long term injury for us. :( Shortall seems good, but I haven't seen enough to be confident in him, while Tony needs to be in midfield.

Poor Student
29/08/2005, 6:20 PM
Is McAniff not in fact a centre back? And don't we have a chap named Long aswell from the U-21s? Whoever our back line was v Dublin City in the League Cup I was impressed.

John83
29/08/2005, 6:30 PM
Is McAniff not in fact a centre back?
Is he? Regardless, I'd sooner have him at left back than Micko, who takes to that position like Superman to a kryptonite dancefloor.

And don't we have a chap named Long aswell from the U-21s? Whoever our back line was v Dublin City in the League Cup I was impressed.
:( I'm sure the bodys are there, but are they good enough? If Pete Mahon feels Long (or whoever) is ready, he'll give him a go, but he hasn't yet and I'd rather not assume he's good enough.

pineapple stu
29/08/2005, 7:17 PM
Well, no better encouragement to lose tomorrow! :p

Assuming we get through, it's a very winnable game. I think three of the four quarter finals are set to be live - no prizes for guessing which one would miss out!

Ally Mac looks like he has a hamstring injury alright - few weeks out then. Probably miss the League Cup Final, which is more important at this stage. Can we recall Aidan Lynch at all? Other than that... :(

Dublin City League Cup defence was McEniff, Foley (gone), Shane Long and AN Other - missing from my list. 'Tis on the report anyway - probably Shortall. It looks like it'll have to be McDonnell and Shortall tomorrow, with Hurley and Dicker in centre-mid, unfortunately. Think some people were suggesting Damo for a centre-mid slot earlier in the season? No better time to try it out...

Edit - an alternative might be Mahon to centre-back, Gannon to right-back and Hurley to right-mid. However, given that Pete played Aidan Lynch out of position at full-back ahead of Gannon, that doesn't look too likely, though Newguy is much more in the frame lately.

CollegeTillIDie
29/08/2005, 9:04 PM
pineapple's suggestion is good
Liam Tiernan at right full would allow Gannon to remain on the right of midfield and Alan Mahon to move to centre back which was one of his previous positions for College.

superfrank
29/08/2005, 10:35 PM
I think it'd be a fairly good match. We are both fairly even. Me and my friend were talking bout this the other day, UCD don't have a goalscorer and we can't defend.

I just want yez to put out Longford so we (as a nation) aren't embarrased in Europe again.

pineapple stu
30/08/2005, 12:54 PM
Incidentally, if we do end up playing Bray, it'd be the third time this year that we'd played our Cup opponents two weeks or less after playing them elsewhere. Dublin City - League Cup and FAI Cup within ten days; Longford Town - League and FAI Cup within two weeks and Bray Wanderers - League and FAI Cup within seven days.

student
30/08/2005, 9:27 PM
Bray without Zayeed doesn't seem as tough a prospect as Bray with Zayeed.

So having beaten Longford tonight could UCD now become the new cup kings???? :p

pineapple stu
30/08/2005, 11:49 PM
Why Bray without Zayed? Did they sell him? Too early for a ban surely?

pineapple stu
31/08/2005, 12:35 AM
Gone to Aalesund, bottom of the Norweigan top flight, according to the Bray forum. Great news for us! :)

Roo69
31/08/2005, 8:59 AM
Gone to Aalesund, bottom of the Norweigan top flight, according to the Bray forum. Great news for us! :)

Great news for every club we have to play this season ! and very bad news for us. Our only saving grace is that were in the same position as your lot now - we don't have a goal scorer ! Should be a very very tight game, this is how i see it - nil all wrote all over this one, replay, nill all again, extra time and penos :D which ends up nil all after all 11 players have taken them. Mahon steps up and blazes over the bar, Devlin to send the seagulls through......... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL :D

pineapple stu
31/08/2005, 5:44 PM
Mahon steps up and blazes over the bar
Alan Mahon not hit the net? You're talking crazy talk!! Look at his phenomenal record of 1 goal in at least 205 games... :p

John83
05/09/2005, 2:09 PM
Alan Mahon not hit the net? You're talking crazy talk!! Look at his phenomenal record of 1 goal in at least 205 games... :p
Ah, but what's his cup record? I'll bet it's much higher. ;)

pineapple stu
05/09/2005, 5:12 PM
1 goal in 17, going back to 1998/99. Probably a few more games, but certainly no more goals! I should point out that I was there for that goal, but missed it as I was buying a bar of chocolate in the shop...

Which leaves the league record at no goals in 171 games and counting! Wonder what the world record for an outfield player with no goals is? :D

Poor Student
05/09/2005, 6:48 PM
1 goal in 17, going back to 1998/99. Probably a few more games, but certainly no more goals! I should point out that I was there for that goal, but missed it as I was buying a bar of chocolate in the shop...

Which leaves the league record at no goals in 171 games and counting! Wonder what the world record for an outfield player with no goals is? :D

Liverpool full back Rob Jones played several hundred games without ever scoring for them if I recall correctly. Certainly a good 7 seasons or so.

superfrank
05/09/2005, 8:52 PM
Eamo might be gone but we beat Pats in a similar match to the one both of us played at the Carlisle back in March/April. 1-0 to Bray (I remember that part!!).

I think this will be the tightest draw in the Cup. Both teams will be very confident going in and everyone thinks both teams can win it.

Aberdonian Stu
06/09/2005, 8:54 AM
I remember Rob Jones nickname was trigger because of his scoring prowess rather than any Only fools and horses reference (although they probably got the name from the show).

I came up with the idea for shouting SHOOT SHOOT at Alan Mahon from Johnny Jensen's time at Arsenal when it took him ages (can't remember how long) to finally get off the mark. The gunners fans screamed it at him from all over the park wherever he got possession.

CollegeTillIDie
06/09/2005, 6:24 PM
Rob Jones was a Welsh man who opted to play for England. Thus turning his back on a potential 100 international caps ........