PDA

View Full Version : 2024 UEFA European Under-19 Championship

liamoo11
12/11/2023, 10:45 AM
https://foot.ie/threads/288215-FAI-MU19-Mohan-names-squad-for-U19-EURO-qualifiers squad for first round of qualifiers this week.

This is the squad from thos group that played in the under 17 qualifiers 18 months ago https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mu17-obrien-names-squad-for-elite-phase

Notable differences between squads coukd be curtis, heffernan, ferizaj, mclougjlin , Bloxham and zefi not in current squad. Curtis has moved to 21s, ferizaj and mcloughlin perhaps just haven't pushed on yet, zefi just back from injury . Not sue about heffernan seems to be playing at Newcastle or Bloxham who has been in around first team squad at Blackburn for Cup games

I wonder if this is a clear sign that Fraser from wolves isn't involved with us anymore

UEFA Under 19 Championship
(https://www.uefa.com/under19/)2024 UEFA European Under 19 Championship
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship)2024 UEFA European Under 19 Championship Qualification (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship_qualification)
2024 UEFA European Under 19 Championship - Qualifying Round - Group 13 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship_qualification#Group_13)

tetsujin1979
12/11/2023, 10:52 AM
Fraser's injured at the moment, O'Neil said in a press conference before their game against Spurs that he's a sore quad

JR89
12/11/2023, 11:00 AM
Zefi hasn't impressed much the last few games he's played for us. Always been more impressed with Vata whenever he plays. Would assume TKD will start with Zefi out but could also be a front three of Umeh, O'Mahony, and Vata.

tetsujin1979
12/11/2023, 4:05 PM
Worth noting that England are looking at elimination already, after finishing third in their group with three draws, and are depending on other third placed sides to finish with a worse record to qualify for the elite round
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship_qualification#Ranking_of_third-placed_teams

JR89
12/11/2023, 4:23 PM
Worth noting that England are looking at elimination already, after finishing third in their group with three draws, and are depending on other third placed sides to finish with a worse record to qualify for the elite round
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship_qualification#Ranking_of_third-placed_teams

Weren't they also knocked out of the U17s Euros in the first round of qualifiers?

tetsujin1979
12/11/2023, 4:31 PM
Weren't they also knocked out of the U17s Euros in the first round of qualifiers?
no, they topped their group, scoring 18 and only conceding one. It was a weak group overall though, with Croatia, the Faroe Islands, and Kosovo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship_qualification#Group_9

Scotland are out, after finishing third behind Belarus and Turkey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship_qualification#Group_7

elatedscum
12/11/2023, 4:40 PM
Ferizaj injured as well

Razors left peg
13/11/2023, 3:16 PM
Fraser's injured at the moment, O'Neil said in a press conference before their game against Spurs that he's a sore quad

Fraser would struggle to get in that front line anyway!

elatedscum
13/11/2023, 3:34 PM
Fraser would struggle to get in that front line anyway!

Ah he gets in the squad, he's very very good.

Mason Melia, as good as he is, is still an u17 - it's a big step up at that age - and with due respect, physically, he's not Evan Ferguson. And he wasn't so overwhelmingly good for the 17s last month that you felt he was a man playing with boys. Otherwise you drop an attacking midfielder.

elatedscum
13/11/2023, 3:48 PM
Any Rovers fans know if Gideon Tetteh has been injured? Seems to have kind of fallen off the radar.

Joe Gibbard is also injured. Looked very good for this age group this time last year but hasn't kicked a football since February.

Ivan Savshak has had a fun year since he played for the 17s. Left Honved in Hungary to sign for Gornik in Poland in January and then in the summer he moved to sleeping giant Livorno in Italy (they were in Serie A in 2010, now they're in Serie D)

liamoo11
13/11/2023, 5:04 PM
It's a tough group to make top 2 there isn't room for slip ups. This group was woeful defensively at 17s and that is reflected in the changes in the squad I think over-the-counter last 18 months. Also bringing in a defender for his first involvement in a qualifying group suggests that is where the focus of recruitment has been.

We seem short of a natural right back here is Lipsiuc been lined up to play right full?

2 left backs in Crawford and o sullivan and likely Moore playing left full to fit him in. Presumably Griffin was brought in to play centre back with one of the shels lads.

Midfield likely mcmanus, murphy and Whitmarsh all with plenty of Loi experience.

Murphy up front flanked by umeh and vata. With the fairy dust of Trent and Naj to come off the bench

Would have felt more confident if zefi was there

tetsujin1979
13/11/2023, 5:39 PM
Had a look at how the other teams in the group fared in this year's Under 17 tournament
Belgium topped their qualifying round group, but finished bottom of their elite round group, which also featured Slovenia, who qualified for the tournament in second place. They went on to finish bottom of their group at the tournament, but they were up against Spain, Serbia, and Italy.
Albania finished third in their qualifying round group, but went to the elite round as one of the best third placed sides.
They hosted the elite round group, and finished third behind France and Switzerland.

So we comfortably had the best record at under 17 level. We'll see how it goes over the next week and a half.

liamoo11
13/11/2023, 6:11 PM
Had a look at how the other teams in the group fared in this year's Under 17 tournament
Belgium topped their qualifying round group, but finished bottom of their elite round group, which also featured Slovenia, who qualified for the tournament in second place. They went on to finish bottom of their group at the tournament, but they were up against Spain, Serbia, and Italy.
Albania finished third in their qualifying round group, but went to the elite round as one of the best third placed sides.
They hosted the elite round group, and finished third behind France and Switzerland.

So we comfortably had the best record at under 17 level. We'll see how it goes over the next week and a half.

I think this group of players would be the 2022 euro under 17s and Belgium were the only team from this group who qualified for the tournament but didn't get out of the group

tetsujin1979
15/11/2023, 11:34 AM
Team announced. Little surprised with some of the substitutes, but on the other hand, how would you get all of them into the one team?

tetsujin1979
15/11/2023, 11:54 AM
Belgium and Slovenia drew 1-1 in the earlier game in the group: https://www.uefa.com/under19/match/2037021--slovenia-vs-belgium/
Slovenia went ahead with a penalty in the second half, Belgium equalised 14 minutes later with an own goal

CSAD
15/11/2023, 12:31 PM
Taking a leaf out of the u16s book.

... and that's dominate a game and then concede a goal from the only chance the opposition managed to create.

CSAD
15/11/2023, 1:20 PM
Taking a leaf out of the u16s book.

... and that's dominate a game and then concede a goal from the only chance the opposition managed to create.

And we retake the lead through Mark O'Mahony, his 2nd of the game! Albania 1-2 Ireland.

CSAD
15/11/2023, 1:23 PM
And Umeh grabs the 3rd and that really should do it for Ireland, Albania havent really offered much throughout the match.

Albania 1-3 Ireland

I would say Ireland havent created many clear cut chances but other than that its hard to find many flaws in the Irish performance, granted I think Belgium and Slovenia (who are better than given credit for imo) will be a step up.

tetsujin1979
15/11/2023, 1:55 PM
Vata substituted for Moore, Vata was carried off the pitch so I hope it's not serious.

CSAD
15/11/2023, 1:59 PM
Vata substituted for Moore, Vata was carried off the pitch so I hope it's not serious.

Nah it was Turley carried off, Vata looked fine going off.

Finished 3-1 to Ireland.

elatedscum
15/11/2023, 2:02 PM

That was Turley. That was his third time going down with cramp. Vata had gone off the pitch a few seconds earlier.

Mad they didn’t make changes sooner. 3 games come quick and fast and was obvious that there were tired legs out there and good players on the bench (Moore, Whitmarsh, Doherty, Melia).

McManus didn’t make the bench. Not sure what the deal is there but a further blow to an already weakened midfield

JR89
15/11/2023, 2:06 PM

tetsujin1979
15/11/2023, 2:14 PM
That was Turley. That was his third time going down with cramp. Vata had gone off the pitch a few seconds earlier.

Mad they didn’t make changes sooner. 3 games come quick and fast and was obvious that there were tired legs out there and good players on the bench (Moore, Whitmarsh, Doherty, Melia).

McManus didn’t make the bench. Not sure what the deal is there but a further blow to an already weakened midfield

Nah it was Turley carried off, Vata looked fine going off.

Finished 3-1 to Ireland.

Sorry, thought it was Vata

Jolly Red Giant
15/11/2023, 4:47 PM
O'Mahony is progressing well

tetsujin1979
18/11/2023, 10:01 AM
Lineup for the second qualifier against Slovenia, 0-0 at half time

CSAD
18/11/2023, 10:04 AM
Lineup for the second qualifier against Slovenia, 0-0 at half time

If we can keep Slovenia to 0 shots on target we should get a draw and maybe even sneak a win!

CSAD
18/11/2023, 1:55 PM
It finished 0-0 between Ireland and Slovenia

Belgium beat Albania 2-0.

tetsujin1979
18/11/2023, 3:21 PM
Ireland currently top the group because we've one fewer yellow card then Belgium, last game to come on Tuesday against Belgium

CSAD
18/11/2023, 10:24 PM
Ireland currently top the group because we've one fewer yellow card then Belgium, last game to come on Tuesday against Belgium

A win or high score draw (of 2-2 or higher) would guarantee Ireland a top 2 finish. If Ireland draw its important it's at least a 1-1 draw as even if we end up finishing 3rd it would mean we have a good chance of being the best 3rd place side.

Eirambler
19/11/2023, 7:38 PM
Not finishing at least second would be an underachievement for this group surely, it's supposed to be one of our stronger Under 19 squads in recent years.

CSAD
19/11/2023, 7:58 PM
Not finishing at least second would be an underachievement for this group surely, it's supposed to be one of our stronger Under 19 squads in recent years.

It would although the issue is Belgium and this particular Slovenian side I would rate higher than anything we faced in the u19s last year. We have every chance of qualifying but we are in such a group that we simply can’t afford to screw up as it’s very unforgiving.

elatedscum
19/11/2023, 9:50 PM

It's a decent group in terms of star talent, less so in terms of depth. 2002 was a year of star talent (Bazunu, Omobamidele, Hodge, Ebosele, Parrott, Cannon) but a real lack of depth beyond the stars and loads of holes in squads. 2003 was a year with much more depth - many many good players, often 3-5 per position who could be good enough for an underage side but very few unmissable stars. If you compare the list above to guys like Moran, Armstrong, Garcia-McNulty, O'Neill, Lawal, Adaramola - the 2003 lads have one single cap between them but the 2002 lads have 50 caps between them (and for reference, this time last year, when they'd have been the same age as the 2003 lads, they had a collective 35 caps)

Anyway, tangent over, the strength of the group is hugely diminished by losing Curtis, Heffernan, Ferizaj, Murphy, Gibbard, Zefi and Fraser. That's five of the starting 11 - still some really good players there like Vata, Umeh, Moore and O'Mahony - but some years, we just don't have the depth that other years have - and we have to pull a lot of players from a younger age group into the squad, much more than is generally the case in europe. so when we lose players to older age groups or to injury, it can derail a promising group

tetsujin1979
21/11/2023, 12:02 PM
lineup for the final qualifier against Belgium
Trent Kone Doherty didn't start any of the three qualifiers.

ColourfulPeanut
21/11/2023, 12:44 PM
Kone-Doherty is still only 17 and has another year at 19s. I wouldn't worry too much, the forwards to choose from are stacked. No shame in being behind Vata and O'Mahony.

tetsujin1979
21/11/2023, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I know. The forward players in the squad can all make a valid claim to be in the starting XI. Just thought it was strange. He's probably playing at a higher level than any other non-LOI player in the squad, but didn't start any of the three games

0-0 in both games at half time
As things stand, Slovenia will go through as the best third placed side

CSAD
21/11/2023, 1:11 PM
Yeah, I know. The forward players in the squad can all make a valid claim to be in the starting XI. Just thought it was strange. He's probably playing at a higher level than any other non-LOI player in the squad, but didn't start any of the three games

0-0 in both games at half time
As things stand, Slovenia will go through as the best third placed side

And funny enough both games Belgium and Slovenia score almost at identical times...

tetsujin1979
21/11/2023, 2:14 PM
Out of the Championships after losing 1-0 to Belgium, Slovenia beat Albania 1-0 to finish second. The draw against Slovenia really cost us.

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but is this a knock on effect of Moran getting promoted to the senior squad? Adam Murphy of St Pat's was originally named in the squad, but was called into the U21s to replace Moran. I don't know how important he is to the team.
FWIW Murphy didn't play against Norway on Friday, we'll see if he features against Italy later on today.

JR89
21/11/2023, 2:56 PM
Now that the 2005 age group are finished with the U19s early the FAI should look to organize something for the 04/05 age group or some lads will go awhile before making another underage appearance for Ireland.

elatedscum
21/11/2023, 3:13 PM
Out of the Championships after losing 1-0 to Belgium, Slovenia beat Albania 1-0 to finish second. The draw against Slovenia really cost us.

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but is this a knock on effect of Moran getting promoted to the senior squad? Adam Murphy of St Pat's was originally named in the squad, but was called into the U21s to replace Moran. I don't know how important he is to the team.
FWIW Murphy didn't play against Norway on Friday, we'll see if he features against Italy later on today.

This - I mean, I don't think Moran should have been called up.

Separately, Crawford still had no reason to call up Murphy. All of Goodrham, McJannett, Vaughn and Coleman are of a very similar level to what Murphy gives you (Henry-Francis too but I believe he's injured) and all would be fine for the 21s as a sixth midfielder - he's unlikely to be used by Crawford - I could see him bringing in fresh legs vs Italy and he might go for the better defensive work of Murphy over Gilsenan. In normal circumstances, the 19s could have managed without Murphy but they were missing Ferizaj and Gibbard too, so you end up losing 3 of your 4 true/deep midfielders (not number 10s) that you want to take.

Razors left peg
21/11/2023, 4:01 PM
This - I mean, I don't think Moran should have been called up.

Separately, Crawford still had no reason to call up Murphy. All of Goodrham, McJannett, Vaughn and Coleman are of a very similar level to what Murphy gives you (Henry-Francis too but I believe he's injured) and all would be fine for the 21s as a sixth midfielder - he's unlikely to be used by Crawford - I could see him bringing in fresh legs vs Italy and he might go for the better defensive work of Murphy over Gilsenan. In normal circumstances, the 19s could have managed without Murphy but they were missing Ferizaj and Gibbard too, so you end up losing 3 of your 4 true/deep midfielders (not number 10s) that you want to take.

So what we are saying is that the u19s losing is Kennys fault ;)... For the record I still think it was right that Moran was called up to the seniors, but he should have played against the Dutch. This is also why I think the new manager has to have awareness of our underage teams and not be solely focused on the seniors like O'Neill and Trap