PDA

View Full Version : who is pete doherty anyway

anto1208
29/08/2005, 9:44 AM
any one watch this doco on bbc3 last night ,

ThatGuy
29/08/2005, 5:43 PM
Out of pure boredom I did watch it.

I have to say, The Libertines were a crap second rate immitation of the La's, Babyshambles are ironically enough a shambles, and Pete Doherty is just a joke.

He is a junky, that is all he is famous for, and he strikes me as an absolute muppet. Anyone walking along with a can of beer in hand trying to impress a camera by reading Yeats is a pretentious ******.

Ten years ago when Oasis were getting in the press for non-musical reasons at least they had hit albums, massive singles, and were hugely successful music wise.

I genuinely think that The Libertines are appalling. I don't rate them at all. IMHO Doherty is living of an NME-lead crusade to hype up any British personalities that will help sell copies of a dying publication. That can be the only reason why they called him the "Coolest man in the universe".

It is pathetic to even be giving a nobody like Doherty (which he is, he has achieved nothing in his "career") such coverage. No need for it. He is a pathetic junky.

Now I am sure Doherty fans will come out with the usual "forget the drugs he's a great artist" NONSENSE. I don't care if musicians take drugs, doesn't effect my view on their music at all (Exile on Main street is the business despite "Keef" being a big time heroin addict at the time)

Slash/ED
29/08/2005, 5:47 PM
The only reason he is called a genius or anything even remotely close is because he is easy to hype up as the anti hero, not for any musical ability. Forget the drugs and all of that crap, I don't really care, take him as a musican alone. He is not anything special at all. No flawed genius, nothing. Just an average musican.

Anto McC
29/08/2005, 6:03 PM
Jammer,I have to disagree with you there,I believe he has something special which hasn't been around for years

BTW,I'm a big Stones fan but "keef" played very little guitar on "Exile on main street"

Slash/ED
29/08/2005, 6:05 PM
I dunno Anto, you don't even like toast so your judgement is clearly flawed

But from what I've heard he's just very average. Not terrible, just average, nothing special.

ThatGuy
29/08/2005, 6:06 PM
Jammer,I have to disagree with you there,I believe he has something special which hasn't been around for years

BTW,I'm a big Stones fan but "keef" played very little guitar on "Exile on main street"
Well he was the primary songwriter and came up with the riffs!

Aaron GUFC
29/08/2005, 6:48 PM
who goes out with Kate Moss. Came out on stage stoned at Live 8 ffs :rolleyes: :mad: Sh!t musician TBH. Fcukin disgrace

Plastic Paddy
29/08/2005, 7:13 PM
He is an attention-seeking arsehole who has spurned too many chances to grow up, even just a little. That's as objective as I can be about the little turd. :rolleyes:

:ball: PP

Drumcondra Red
29/08/2005, 7:14 PM
Agreed Jammer, his personal life comes to the fore here and he isn't anything special, he could've been but he decieded to take the heroine route and fcuked himself up, he's no more then an embarrassment to himself now

Anto McC
29/08/2005, 8:38 PM
Well he was the primary songwriter and came up with the riffs!

Not all the riffs,not even the majority

Everybody so far has weighed in with an opinion on his personallity

Plastic Paddy
29/08/2005, 9:25 PM
Everybody so far has weighed in with an opinion on his personallity

That's purely because he has prostituted his "personality" at every given chance at the expense of whatever musical talent he may or may not possess. **** him, he chose to do it that way and now everyone thinks he's a ****. It's fully deserved IMO.

:ball: PP

anto1208
30/08/2005, 8:28 AM
i find it very strange that ye can have an opinion on some one ye never met ,

i find it stranger in a time when every one knows about paparatzi etc that ye think he wants this attention , how do you stop people following you around taking pics .

i also find it very strange in that if i dont like and artist say ian brown then i dont go to his gigs i dont read articles about him i dont watch interveiws with him i dont look at photo's in the papers but thats because i dont like men that beat up women , but im sure loads of ye think he is class i just ignore him . and he doesnt bother me .

the only papers that print stuff about him are the sun and the news of the world so if you dont read them you wont see any pics or articles in your paprer , you shouldnt read any music mags nme or q etc there are all rubbish , there you go you no longer have to see pete any more dont blame him because you read crap mags or papers .

but i will say this there isnt a better more honest song writter out there now , he has a genuine connection with his fans , he invites them round to his house for free secret gigs , he is allways accesable to his fans and he gives away all his music for free online .

now how many artists can you name that do that remember the fuss u2 make every album because a few people will down load it even though they will make 150 mill from they latest tour ,

i know one is in it for the music one is in it for the money .

also he is clean now has been for a number of months

Macy
30/08/2005, 8:47 AM
i find it very strange that ye can have an opinion on some one ye never met ,

Have you meet him btw? Just interested as you're lambasting others for having a opinion different to yours....

ThatGuy
30/08/2005, 9:02 AM
Have you ever met Hitler, Anto?

noby
30/08/2005, 9:21 AM
Have you meet him btw?

I'm sure he's been round the flat for a cup of tea and a secret gig.

I find this opinion strange :
"but i will say this there isnt a better more honest song writter out there now" but then again, it's your opinion, so I'm not gonna get upset over it

anto1208
30/08/2005, 9:22 AM
Have you meet him btw? Just interested as you're lambasting others for having a opinion different to yours....

no that is why is keep my opinions to his music and not his personal life or his personality , that is why i kept my comments to his song writting and him giving his musice away free .

if you have listened to his 2 albums and the early versions of his new one and the loads of accoustic ones at least 5 or 6 times and didnt like it fair enough that your opinion and thats fine , at least you gave it a go

but for some one who has maybe half listened to one album read a load of lies in the press and goes on about him being a useless junkie ! annoys me .

the fact he takes drugs makes no difference to me , oscar wild and will shakespeare where smack heads too ( im not compairing them to pete before ye read this wrong and jump down my troath im just showing just because you take drugs doesnt mean you cant be a talente peot ) .

there is a big difference between music i dont like but is still good and music that s just plain bad ,
i dont like morrisey , stone roses , rolling stones there are all good bands just not my cup of tea .

anto1208
30/08/2005, 9:26 AM
Have you ever met Hitler, Anto?

no he was dead about 30 years before i was born , probibly wouldnt have made for good conversation , but im sure as with every country that wins a war they are declared heroes the others monsters , for example the us has muredered 25 million innocent civilians but are they made out the be monsters or hero's ??.

if germany had won the war we may never have even know about the camps and hitler could be put down in the history books as the greatest man theat lived .

CollegeTillIDie
30/08/2005, 10:25 PM
He is not a has been... more like a never was who never will be if he keeps up his present lifestyle. :o

oconghc2
03/09/2005, 11:46 PM
thing that gets me is these people who think he's this deep , cool musical genius because some **** in NME and other music mags build the waster up!

Id imagine theres a lot around who think its the bizness to like his music just cause he seems to be a bit of a nutter. At the end of the day his music is a bit all over the place and the guy seems to think a bit too highly of himself. Saw him trying to play a few cords there today on telly and he was probably an embarrassment to people who can actually play!

apparently though he was a bit of a child prodigy at poetry and english etc - this doesnt make him a good musician though.

CollegeTillIDie
04/09/2005, 8:37 AM
thing that gets me is these people who think he's this deep , cool musical genius because some **** in NME and other music mags build the waster up!

Id imagine theres a lot around who think its the bizness to like his music just cause he seems to be a bit of a nutter. At the end of the day his music is a bit all over the place and the guy seems to think a bit too highly of himself. Saw him trying to play a few cords there today on telly and he was probably an embarrassment to people who can actually play!

apparently though he was a bit of a child prodigy at poetry and english etc - this doesnt make him a good musician though.
Agreed... in the words of the Dandy Warhols... " heroin is so passé"