PDA

View Full Version : LoI in Europe 2024

pineapple stu
05/11/2023, 9:47 AM
Never too early for this thread!

Rovers in the Champions League, Derry, Pat's and either Bohs/Shels in the Conference League - and UCD in the Youth League, after winning the U-17 division on goals scored at the weekend. Started the day two points behind Dundalk and Shels, who both drew 2-2 (against Rovers and Treaty), but while we were also pegged back to 2-2 in Derry, we scored another three goals - the fifth in the 83rd minute - to end up two ahead of Dundalk on goals scored, and one ahead of Shels on goal difference back in third.

Pat's didn't make the Youth League this year as Ireland were ranked 40th and only the top 36 countries ended up with a team. This year Ireland are 36th (and Liechtenstein, who don't have a league, are one of those ahead of us, while Russia are still banned at present), so a fairly good chance we'll be in it next year.

D24Saint
05/11/2023, 10:08 AM
I thought I read somewhere that Uefa were going to put domestic cup winners into the Europa league or was that fake news.

pineapple stu
05/11/2023, 10:12 AM
Down as far as 34th only per wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024%E2%80%9325_UEFA_Europa_League). We're 36th.

D24Saint
05/11/2023, 10:29 AM
Safe to assume the prize money is more significant compared to the UCL. It would be huge for the LOI to get an UEL spot for the cup winners.

patsdad
05/11/2023, 11:00 AM
I thought I read somewhere that Uefa were going to put domestic cup winners into the Europa league or was that fake news.

If I remember correctly what I read in a few articles, the cup winners go straight to the 2nd round of the Conference League.

D24Saint
05/11/2023, 11:19 AM
So that’s €350k in uefa prize money as minimum.

holidaysong
05/11/2023, 2:30 PM
€450k minimum for the cup winner going straight into the 2nd round.

€350k if you drop out in the 2nd round and €100k for each round you play in.

legendz
05/11/2023, 3:14 PM
If I remember correctly what I read in a few articles, the cup winners go straight to the 2nd round of the Conference League.
That's right, the 10 domestic cup winners from associations 35–44 enter go straight to the second qualifying round.

Nesta99
05/11/2023, 8:32 PM
Never too early for this thread!

Rovers in the Champions League, Derry, Pat's and either Bohs/Shels in the Conference League - and UCD in the Youth League, after winning the U-17 division on goals scored at the weekend. Started the day two points behind Dundalk and Shels, who both drew 2-2 (against Rovers and Treaty), but while we were also pegged back to 2-2 in Derry, we scored another three goals - the fifth in the 83rd minute - to end up two ahead of Dundalk on goals scored, and one ahead of Shels on goal difference back in third.

Pat's didn't make the Youth League this year as Ireland were ranked 40th and only the top 36 countries ended up with a team. This year Ireland are 36th (and Liechtenstein, who don't have a league, are one of those ahead of us, while Russia are still banned at present), so a fairly good chance we'll be in it next year.

Yep it really was that kind of season for Dundalk FC:mad:

2024 for some reason will be a year in Europe that the annual love in will just irritate!

pineapple stu
10/11/2023, 3:01 PM
Actually, can update this as there's a format change for the Youth League next year.

Next year there's 36 teams in the Champions League - the new Swiss system with no groups. All those clubs' youth teams will be in the CL part of the Youth League, as before.

Then all 53 eligible countries (ie everyone bar Liechtenstein and Russia) have a representative in the Domestic Champions path. If the domestic champion is also in the CL proper, then the runner-up gets invited instead, and so on down the line. That's a big change for the LoI - Pat's didn't play in the Youth League this year because the LoI was too far down the UEFA coefficient rankings.

The top seeds will be seeded next year, so the first round will be the champions of the teams from around 30th down. The LoI is 36th, so we should be one of the stronger sides in that. In the second round, all the other teams join, where you could be paired with a side from England, Holland, Belgium, etc - so some top draws available.

brendy_éire
23/02/2024, 10:14 AM
Based on current regulations, the Brandywell won't be able to be used beyond the second qualifying round this year, if we did get that far.
The club going to try and nominate Windsor, Tallaght and Lansdowne as alternative grounds. Might not get away with the Windsor one, but worth a go.

Martinho II
23/02/2024, 8:30 PM
Based on current regulations, the Brandywell won't be able to be used beyond the second qualifying round this year, if we did get that far.
The club going to try and nominate Windsor, Tallaght and Lansdowne as alternative grounds. Might not get away with the Windsor one, but worth a go.

Why would DC not get away with Windsor is it cos of capacity?

brendy_éire
23/02/2024, 10:57 PM
Why would DC not get away with Windsor is it cos of capacity?

Question mark over whether it's permitted to use a ground outside your FA's jurisditction. I think the club is still an IFA member, so maybe it's fine.

pineapple stu
23/02/2024, 11:08 PM
Wasn't it tried and rejected recently enough?

RealJohn91
23/02/2024, 11:22 PM
iirc it was only rejected because Derry didn't nominate it as a possibility to use

Nah Nah Nah Nah
24/02/2024, 5:13 PM
Derry requested it but UEFA didn’t allow it as it’s not a ground in the jurisdiction of the FAI

EalingGreen
26/02/2024, 1:22 PM
Question mark over whether it's permitted to use a ground outside your FA's jurisditction.TNS's ground is within England, yet they are still permitted to use it for European games. Perhaps the difference is that it is their home ground?

I think the club is still an IFA member, so maybe it's fine.You may actually be correct, though I've never seen it confirmed anywhere. For example, Cardiff and Swansea etc are still members of the FAW, which has jurisdiction over disciplinary matters etc, even when those have been committed in the (English) FA's jurisdiction.

Certainly DCFC's womens' team are members of the IFA, playing in the Irish League's Womens Premiership.

yurt
17/05/2024, 1:37 AM
11 of the 15 potential opponents for Rovers in the champions league are now known.

NK Celje Slo 4.500
Hamrun Spartans Mlt 4.500
Larne FC Nir 4.500
Dinamo Minsk Bls 4.500
FK Panevezys Lit 4.000
Ordabasy Shymkent Kaz 4.000
Vikingur Reykjavik Isl 4.000
FC Struga Mac 3.500
Differdange 03 Lux 3.500
UE Santa Coloma And 1.199
AC Virtus Sma 0.366

I hadn't realised that there's no preliminary round this year. San Marino or Andorra would be the only games I think you'd make Rovers 90% favorites for.

Kazakh champions would be the worst out of that list so far but it's really hard to know what the standard of the league s year on year.

Nesta99
17/05/2024, 3:01 AM
Larne is obviously te draw of choice. No travel, winnable and conference playoff at minimum? Andorra a banana skin without Jack!

brendy_éire
17/05/2024, 9:08 AM
11 of the 15 potential opponents for Rovers in the champions league are now known.

NK Celje Slo 4.500
Larne FC Nir 4.500
Dinamo Minsk Bls 4.500
FK Panevezys Lit 4.000
Vikingur Reykjavik Isl Kazakh champions would be the worst out of that list so far but it's really hard to know what the standard of the league s year on year.

There wasn't much between Derry and Tobol last year, so we can maybe presume our league is on a par with the Kazakh?
Certainly don't want them from a travel perspective. It's a quarter of a million for a charter there and back.

Celje and Dinamo Minsk are ones you'd want to avoid as well. Larne is the dream.

Dermobohs
17/05/2024, 9:58 AM
TNS's ground is within England, yet they are still permitted to use it for European games. Perhaps the difference is that it is their home ground?

You may actually be correct, though I've never seen it confirmed anywhere. For example, Cardiff and Swansea etc are still members of the FAW, which has jurisdiction over disciplinary matters etc, even when those have been committed in the (English) FA's jurisdiction.

Certainly DCFC's womens' team are members of the IFA, playing in the Irish League's Womens Premiership.

Berwick also play outside England

thebronze14
17/05/2024, 10:01 AM
There wasn't much between Derry and Tobol last year, so we can maybe presume our league is on a par with the Kazakh?
Certainly don't want them from a travel perspective. It's a quarter of a million for a charter there and back.

Celje and Dinamo Minsk are ones you'd want to avoid as well. Larne is the dream.

One of the only times you'll see the words Larne and dream together

nigel-harps1954
17/05/2024, 12:29 PM

NK Celje Slo 4.500
Larne FC Nir 4.500
Dinamo Minsk Bls 4.500
FK Panevezys Lit 4.000
Vikingur Reykjavik Isl 4.000
FC Struga Mac 3.500
Differdange 03 Lux 3.500
UE Santa Coloma And 1.199
AC Virtus Sma 0.366

I hadn't realised that there's no preliminary round this year. San Marino or Andorra would be the only games I think you'd make Rovers 90% favorites for.

Kazakh champions would be the worst out of that list so far but it's really hard to know what the standard of the league s year on year.

At least half of them should be considered winnable ties. Never mind picking out one or two. If we're serious at all about growth of the league, you have to be looking at your first round tie as winnable.

sbgawa
17/05/2024, 2:21 PM
At least half of them should be considered winnable ties. Never mind picking out one or two. If we're serious at all about growth of the league, you have to be looking at your first round tie as winnable.

We just lost at home 3 to 1 to Waterford and drew at home to Pats.........is any tie winnable?

nigel-harps1954
17/05/2024, 2:33 PM
We just lost at home 3 to 1 to Waterford and drew at home to Pats.........is any tie winnable?

Both of those ties were winnable. Winnable does not always equate to a win, but it is surely the aim for Rovers in any league game, as it should be in any European game.

pineapple stu
17/05/2024, 2:48 PM
Of course it is. Ideally ye'd be looking for a tie against a part-time side low-ranked enough to be in the preliminary round which has been done away with this year.

What could possibly go wrong there?

Nesta99
17/05/2024, 3:52 PM
As poor as the quality may be domestically as a seeded side there is always going to be winnable ties in QR1. If the calamity self implosion moments dont happen they can often be a performance of the season like Derry last year. A footballing side that isnt dealing with familiarity and spoiling anti football tactics. I also think if a side gets through 1 tie they get up to speed even when opponents are getting better with progression. I wouldnt be putting my house on Rovers going on previous seasons and Bradley setting up to contain rather than compete but it is within that squad to do well with the right setup and of course the talismen players available.

ger121
17/05/2024, 7:54 PM
So many leagues around Europe have had teams win titles or are leading leagues, that either never win titles or do so rarely.

EatYerGreens
18/05/2024, 6:17 PM
So many leagues around Europe have had teams win titles or are leading leagues, that either never win titles or do so rarely.

The underdogs have also won the national cups in various countries around the world this season as well - from Wales and NI to Hungary.

There seems to be something going on re big clubs being wobbly and minnows having a moment.

joey B
29/05/2024, 9:43 AM
Draw details for UEFA European men's competition confirmed

The draw timings for the opening Quailfying Rounds for the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League have been confirmed as below.

Shamrock Rovers will compete in the UEFA Champions League First Qualifying Round, while Derry City (First Qualifying Round), Shelbourne (First Qualifying Round) and St. Patrick's Athletic (Second Qualifying Round*) will compete in the UEFA Europa Conference League.

The draws will be streamed on UEFA.com.

Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at

13:00 for UCL 1st qualifying round (Q1)
14:00 for UEL 1st qualifying round (Q1)
15:00 for UECL 1st qualifying round (Q1)

Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at

11:00 for UCL 2nd qualifying round (Q2)
12:00 for UEL 2nd qualifying round (Q2)
13:00 for UECL 2nd qualifying round (Q2)
All times Irish.

* Based on current projections and all subject to final UEFA seedings and draw proceedings

https://www.leagueofireland.ie/news/draw-details-uefa-european-mens-competition-confirmed/

EatYerGreens
29/05/2024, 1:09 PM
TNS's ground is within England, yet they are still permitted to use it for European games. Perhaps the difference is that it is their home ground?

The difference is that TNS - and by extension their ground - are part of the Welsh system. If they sought to play a European fixture in Shrewsbury instead they'd face issues, even though it's also in England and only 30kms up the road.

Playing European club fixtures in a different jurisdiction is not impossible. Israeli clubs do it fairly frequently (for obvious reasons). Shels also played Rangers in Tranmere (Prenton Park) in 1998. but were forced to do so. Famously UEFA also forced Linfield to play the home leg of their 1979 European fixture against Dundalk in Haarlem, NL. But that's the point. You usually need a fairly good reason why you can;t fulfill the fixture in your own ground or jurisdiction. Not having developed your own ground to be able to host a latter stage fixture is not sufficient reason.

yurt
05/06/2024, 11:46 AM
Obviously some luck in the draw is most likely to decide who goes the furthest but assuming for a second all teams get the same draw. Who is most likely to do the best of the Irish teams?

Last year I was extremely confident that LOI clubs would make the most out of being some of the best teams in the ECLQ1 and it really didn't work out like that at all.

I don't think our best teams have gotten any better but they are playing better teams every week which I think may help their preparation.

I think in their own way all 4 clubs will have reason to believe that they can make it through a couple rounds. I'm most interested to see how Shels get on and if their solidity is continental solidity or just LOI solidity.

EatYerGreens
05/06/2024, 12:00 PM
Obviously some luck in the draw is most likely to decide who goes the furthest but assuming for a second all teams get the same draw. Who is most likely to do the best of the Irish teams?

Last year I was extremely confident that LOI clubs would make the most out of being some of the best teams in the ECLQ1 and it really didn't work out like that at all.

I don't think our best teams have gotten any better but they are playing better teams every week which I think may help their preparation.

I think in their own way all 4 clubs will have reason to believe that they can make it through a couple rounds. I'm most interested to see how Shels get on and if their solidity is continental solidity or just LOI solidity.

The problem is that football elsewhere in Europe is changing/progressing, and in some cases quite quickly. Some of what were previously considered weak leagues have vecome much better in recent years. And at the same time, some previously strong leagues have become weaker. So I think it's impossible to adequately estimate how we'll do (especially before the opponents are known).

Sorry that that's a dull answer :D

2 Year Contract
05/06/2024, 2:04 PM
I think in their own way all 4 clubs will have reason to believe that they can make it through a couple rounds.

As a Pats fan I currently don't have reason to believe they’ll get a win away to bottom of the table Drogheda on Friday let alone beat a seeded club in the 2nd round of Europe! Hoping for a good trip as there likely won’t be one next season unfortunately.

As alluded to it’s mainly down to luck of the draw but even if clubs get a decent draw they still have to be on their game to get through. I think Shels solidity at the back will stand to them in Europe provided they don’t get drawn against a very good side. Rovers may progress past their first Champions League opponents depending on the draw but it may be a tough one for them to win another tie to get into the Conference League groups if they continue to defend how they have in the league for most of the season. I think I saw somewhere that Derry are seeded for the first round so should join Pats in the second round hopefully, if they’re not seeded in the second round however it can be tough to get through. Being unseeded in the third round if they get there is a very tough nut to crack but they almost did it last season tbf

ccity
06/06/2024, 1:16 PM

After the draw last year, I had high hopes that all 4 could make it through. Ended up with 2 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats - so it's very difficult to predict what way it will go. Derry's heroics were our saving grace.
With the FAI cup sandwiched in between this year, today's draw could result in teams saving players for the FAI cup.

Derry & Shamrock Rovers are both seeded for Q1, so here's hoping they get very soft draws. I'd have more faith in Shels this year given the way they are playing, but they could get a nasty draw (being unseeded). We could do with improving the co-efficient a little to get our FAI cup winners into the Europa League.

Real ale Madrid
07/06/2024, 10:46 AM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z-D8j_XDzy7DE5dVnvyVMC10U0wgLSZCWy8Ui1cQ8t0/edit#gid=1530213305

Shamrock Rovers seeded in the CLq1 draw. They are seeded right into the Conference League again this season. I think its a huge season for them in Europe - really need some results.
Derry City are seeded in the CoL-Q1 which is good.
Shelbourne unseeded in CoL-Q1 but plenty of winnable ties.
St Pats Unseeded in CoL-Q2.

EatYerGreens
07/06/2024, 12:42 PM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z-D8j_XDzy7DE5dVnvyVMC10U0wgLSZCWy8Ui1cQ8t0/edit#gid=1530213305

Shamrock Rovers seeded in the CLq1 draw. They are seeded right into the Conference League again this season. I think its a huge season for them in Europe - really need some results.
Derry City are seeded in the CoL-Q1 which is good.
Shelbourne unseeded in CoL-Q1 but plenty of winnable ties.
St Pats Unseeded in CoL-Q2.

Does UEFA still have a rule against European club games being played in the same city/place at the same time?

sbgawa
07/06/2024, 1:41 PM
Does UEFA still have a rule against European club games being played in the same city/place at the same time?

Yes as far as i know.
I think ut works like CL takes priority over EL then ECL so if Rovers would get first call on the home date,
Could be wrong but i think this was discussed last year and that was the take away

Nesta99
07/06/2024, 2:25 PM
That was one interesting 'discussion' on foot.ie years back when Dundalk had 1st shout on SDCC Tallaght for CL over Rovers in EL, much to the outrage of CJ at the time, was a tad amusing! It hasnt changed but depending on size of clubs and city involved there have been dispensatons.

TonyD
07/06/2024, 5:36 PM
As a Pats fan I currently don't have reason to believe they’ll get a win away to bottom of the table Drogheda on Friday let alone beat a seeded club in the 2nd round of Europe! Hoping for a good trip as there likely won’t be one next season unfortunately.

As alluded to it’s mainly down to luck of the draw but even if clubs get a decent draw they still have to be on their game to get through. I think Shels solidity at the back will stand to them in Europe provided they don’t get drawn against a very good side. Rovers may progress past their first Champions League opponents depending on the draw but it may be a tough one for them to win another tie to get into the Conference League groups if they continue to defend how they have in the league for most of the season. I think I saw somewhere that Derry are seeded for the first round so should join Pats in the second round hopefully, if they’re not seeded in the second round however it can be tough to get through. Being unseeded in the third round if they get there is a very tough nut to crack but they almost did it last season tbf

Europe could get pretty ugly for Pats this year.