PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for support - Ireland v France

onenilgameover
28/08/2005, 11:41 PM
Throw your France Prediction Thread fears away and your annoyance at the France ticket tout scumbags. We need to start getting into this one big time. I remember watching the draw for the group stages and thinking what a fixture..... and its only days away now. :) We had an amazing time in Paris and let it not be said that ''we'ill always have Paris'' we need to create the same atmosphere next week. So on that point....What's everyone got planned? and has anyone got ideas like the Baloon's and booing left backs?

I reckon we should sing along to the french anthem like we did in Paris. Wow! Still brings shivers down me spine. This might lead the French into a false sense of security...and then we shout at them and for Ireland for ninety mins. The eircom flags brought great colour to the Israel game (even if it was sponsored by big money). anyone know if there's anything like that planned?

Anyway this is our time now and we can use it anyway we want.

Come on Ireland!

TerryPhelan
29/08/2005, 9:54 AM
Throw your France Prediction Thread fears away and your annoyance at the France ticket tout scumbags. We need to start getting into this one big time. I remember watching the draw for the group stages and thinking what a fixture..... and its only days away now. :) We had an amazing time in Paris and let it not be said that ''we'ill always have Paris'' we need to create the same atmosphere next week. So on that point....What's everyone got planned? and has anyone got ideas like the Baloon's and booing left backs?

I reckon we should sing along to the french anthem like we did in Paris. Wow! Still brings shivers down me spine. This might lead the French into a false sense of security...and then we shout at them and for Ireland for ninety mins. The eircom flags brought great colour to the Israel game (even if it was sponsored by big money). anyone know if there's anything like that planned?

Anyway this is our time now and we can use it anyway we want.

Come on Ireland!

Agree with everything you say.

But there's no apostrophe between idea and s when it's the plural. Same goes for balloons.

*cough*

pineapple stu
29/08/2005, 12:34 PM
I don't think you can plan to recreate the French national anthem thing. That was pure spontenaneity, a mad one-off which, if planned, would lose all its brilliance.

jbyrne
29/08/2005, 12:44 PM
I don't think you can plan to recreate the French national anthem thing. That was pure spontenaneity, a mad one-off which, if planned, would lose all its brilliance.

totally agree. it worked so well in paris because it was spontaneous and also it was really the Irish fans taking the p**s out of the french as not only had we taken over their own stadium but also their anthem!

would be far more worthwhile singing our own national anthem like never before

Paulie
29/08/2005, 12:48 PM

Bang on.

jbyrne
29/08/2005, 12:57 PM
the green t-shirts handed out to all on the south terrace for the holland '01 game looked brilliant. hopefully one of the daily papers and/or radio stations will run a campaign to encourage all Irish fans to turn up in green, bring flags, arrive early etc.

Eire06
29/08/2005, 1:01 PM
totally agree. it worked so well in paris because it was spontaneous and also it was really the Irish fans taking the p**s out of the french as not only had we taken over their own stadium but also their anthem!

I think the FAI should get someone in to sing our national anthem like the GAA do in Croker sounds much better and more people are gona sing or hum :rolleyes: along to it!

BTW: Humming the French national anthem was not a pi$$ take at the french and was not ment like that from the majority of true Ireland supporters.. Its is such a strong and powerful song we all just got carried away in the moment and sang along to it, no disrespect was intended towards the French :mad:

jbyrne
29/08/2005, 1:06 PM
BTW: Humming the French national anthem was not a pi$$ take at the french and was not ment like that from the majority of true Ireland supporters.. Its is such a strong and powerful song we all just got carried away in the moment and sang along to it, no disrespect was intended towards the French :mad:

yes, fair point. did it myself and didnt mean any disrespect but i do think there was a certain amt of "here we are in your stadium singing your national anthem" about it

Eire06
29/08/2005, 1:10 PM
:eek:
yes, fair point. did it myself and didnt mean any disrespect but i do think there was a certain amt of "here we are in your stadium singing your national anthem" about it

I don't think it was intended like that..

Anyway I think humming along to it this time will make us look worse because their national anthem will be louder that ours IN OUR HOME GROUND.. Scrap that idea and people start learning ours please You have plenty of time between then and now...

Green Baloons would be a good idea but they annoy me when they get on the pitch... :o

Eire06
29/08/2005, 1:36 PM
Anyway I think humming along to it this time will make us look worse because their national anthem will be louder that ours IN OUR HOME GROUND.. Scrap that idea and people start learning ours please You have plenty of time between then and now...

BTW here (http://www.dun-laoghaire.com/irish_anthem.html) you go.. Has the music and all :D and its just the Curfá you have to learn off!! Its only a few lines :o

Drumcondra Red
29/08/2005, 2:44 PM
:eek:

I don't think it was intended like that..

Green Baloons would be a good idea but they annoy me when they get on the pitch... :o

It was intended as shall we sing a song for you type thing imo, anyway don't get someone in to sing it as it ruins the anthem, much better the crowd sing on their own!

Anyway to boost the atmosphere get a spare ticket, sell it to me and I'll take care of the rest! Someone has to teach Troy how to play the drum properly!!!

Eire06
29/08/2005, 3:00 PM
It was intended as shall we sing a song for you type thing imo, anyway don't get someone in to sing it as it ruins the anthem, much better the crowd sing on their own!
!
The crowd don't sing it thats the problem :eek:

jbyrne
29/08/2005, 3:11 PM
The crowd don't sind it thats the problem :eek:

thats because currently the band is blasted over the PA system so as the crowd cant be heard they dont bother singing

Eire06
29/08/2005, 3:23 PM
thats because currently the band is blasted over the PA system so as the crowd cant be heard they dont bother singing

Have to disagree..

they just don't know the words and\or couldn't be bothered..
the band aren't that loud over the PA they just seem loud cause no-one i singing! If the band weren't playing all you'd hear is a few mutters of the anthem from a select few..
Half the 'supporters' that go to Ireland international matches haven't got a clue of how to sing the national anthem FACT

zinedineontour
29/08/2005, 4:11 PM
Have to disagree..

the band aren't that loud over the PA they just seem loud cause no-one i singing! If the band weren't playing all you'd hear is a few mutters of the anthem from a select few..
Half the 'supporters' that go to Ireland international matches haven't got a clue of how to sing the national anthem FACT

sadly very true ... free green t-shirts need to be handed out like the dutch game as its a wed night game and a lot will be coming in suits from work ... a saturday game would have been much better for atmosphere as everyone would be in better spirits with a few scoops but hopefully we can all get off work early and get our vocal chords oiled !

oconghc2
29/08/2005, 8:42 PM
a lot of supporters just seem to be embarrassed to sing along some times! - whether it's the anthem or whatever. Fair enough watch the game - but at the same time your there to support the team (i.e sing) and not just sit like you're on your couch at home.

The people who are lucky enough to have the tickets (sorry, no spares lads!) need to get their arses in gear and let rip for the night! Who knows, we might even get a result too!

Have to disagree..

Bald Student
29/08/2005, 8:54 PM
Things hit a new low for me at the Israel game when the 30 or so of us in the UCD section were singing away and the people beside us told us to be quiet. They didn't pay 30 euro to listen to us sing.

The fact is that the Irish soccer-viewing public want to go to the match to sit down and enjoy the evenings entertainment. The same as if they were in the cinema. I don't buy excuses about corporate tickets and people in suits because there're a lot more of them at Rugby internationals but they're still happy to get behind their team.

Cowboy
29/08/2005, 9:02 PM
Things hit a new low for me at the Israel game when the 30 or so of us in the UCD section were singing away and the people beside us told us to be quiet. They didn't pay 30 euro to listen to us sing.

Next time tell them they are at a football game and sing louder

Dee75
30/08/2005, 10:05 AM
A couple of lads in work got tickets for games in the North terrace and were heard saying that they were ****ed off that they had to stand beside the 'eircom league morons!!' I asked them what they meant and they said all they do is bang drums, sing and jump up and down!! If the other 30,000 did the same we might create an atmosphere similiar to other away grounds.
Some people are never happy I told them I'd seel their tickets for them but no luck.

Armando
30/08/2005, 11:05 AM
It's a sad state of affairs when we have to plan how to create a good atmosphere, but this is what it has come to and it's a crucial issue. As has already been stated the ground should be packed to the rafters at least 30 minutes before kick-off, then the electric atmosphere would take care of itself. The chances of this happening are virtually zero. It beggars belief how fans just stroll in past kick off time. I couldn't get a ticket for the Israel game so took a stewarding job checking tickets behind the N. Terrace. I didn't get into the ground until 15 minutes into the game because of hundreds of idiots arriving late with no sense of urgency whatsoever. These are the same fools who leave the ground before the game even enters injury time to beat the rush.
The dwindling atmosphere has coincided with the introduction of the block booking scheme. It has its merits but there should also be a large proportion of tickets available to buy by queueing up at local ticket agents. As a pre teen I remember queing up for Ireland - Spain tickets before school in Stillorgan shopping centre. It was first come first serve so the most eager fans were the lucky ones. Those World cup qualifying games were the most electric I've been to and we all know how Spain crumbled that glorious sunny day(I'm pretty sure that game was a 3p.m. kick off on a weekday because I remember taking a half day from school and it was still packed well in advance!) I actually feel sorry for the youngsters today because they're missing out on what I and thousands of others experienced.

There has been a lack of build up to the game on TV etc. so I fear the worst(again). Maybe Brian Kerr could go on primetime national news and urge the fans to arrive well in advance, because we all know the lack of atmosphere grates with him too.

Anyway that's my rant over. I'll be at the game 45 minutes before kick off, as always, hurling abuse at the french players and backing our boys in green. God help anyone who tells me to quieten down because I'm already wound up for the game, Lord knows how I'll be come matchday. COME ON IRELAND!

Cowboy
30/08/2005, 11:23 AM
I think its them who are morons. I hope the Derry "band" makes as much noise as they ever did.

A couple of lads in work got tickets for games in the North terrace and were heard saying that they were ****ed off that they had to stand beside the 'eircom league morons!!' I asked them what they meant and they said all they do is bang drums, sing and jump up and down!! If the other 30,000 did the same we might create an atmosphere similiar to other away grounds.
Some people are never happy I told them I'd seel their tickets for them but no luck.

pineapple stu
30/08/2005, 12:33 PM
Next time tell them they are at a football game and sing louder
Been there, done that - for some reason, they don't like that either. :rolleyes:

I've had people saying they "paid for these seats, so will you sit down" - I reply "No you didn't, you paid to watch the match" and get glared at for some reason.

Anyone getting a ticket for the North Terrace should know what they're letting themselves in for. Sod them otherwise.

Peadar
30/08/2005, 12:40 PM
i do think there was a certain amt of "here we are in your stadium singing your national anthem" about it

That's certainly what it was for me anyway, JB.
One of the all time classic moments!

To be fair, I think this thread is preaching to the converted because most of the people on here are of the same opinion when it comes to supporting football. What really need to do is get Brian Kerr and Kenny Cunningham to reach out to the day trippers and impress upon them, the importance of showing their colours and raising their voice.

jbyrne
30/08/2005, 12:42 PM
at the Ireland V Israel game in june the lad sitting behind me started singing "sit down for the boys in green" just after most people around him had been standing. him and his idiot friends thought this was hilarious. he spent most of the game telling people to sit down... why bother going to a big Ireland match and not get involved in the atmosphere??

MariborKev
30/08/2005, 12:43 PM
What really need to do is get Brian Kerr and Kenny Cunningham to reach out to the day trippers and impress upon them, the importance of showing their colours and raising their voice.

Kerr was speaking on this very issue on the RTE news reports yesterday.

The need to create an atmosphere, hostile if necessary, to give ourselves the best chance of getting something from this game.

Peadar
30/08/2005, 12:46 PM
The need to create an atmosphere, hostile if necessary

I can't do the two fingers in your mouth whistle thing and my booing sounds very GAA like so I'm not great at hostile unless I growl!
Anyone know where I can get a big bag of high pitch plastic whistles?
I'd give them out to everyone with a balloon.

blobbyblob
30/08/2005, 1:10 PM
Its simple boys and girls -

Green green green more than ever 's been seen
Shoutin, roarin' jump get the party pumpin
Twelve against eleven we'll be goin' to heaven
Top of group four, French are out the door
Makalele and Zidane, small fry for Kilbane
One night of noise, time to carry our boys
Germany is callin', Frogs reputations fallin'
Le bleus, c'est belle? Welcome to Hell!

pegan
31/08/2005, 8:32 AM
Can anyone tell the stewards this match not to be so anxious to ensure that Guinness corporation signage are not hidden by Irish tricolours, banners etc. It ****es me off that we can travel the world with our flags without a problem, but cant put them up in Lansdowne road, and I mean all over it not just at either ends. When we win on Wednesday mine will be the banner in the East Stand declaring:ZZ (et Cisse ) Topp(ed) ;)

Peadar
31/08/2005, 3:18 PM
THIS (http://peadar.yafro.com/photo/1040122) is what it's all about lads...
Relive the memories here... (http://peadar.yafro.com/photos/2004/10/0)

blobbyblob
31/08/2005, 3:20 PM
Theres only one PTEgan........

blobbyblob
31/08/2005, 3:22 PM
How about everyone singing the Indiana Jones theme song before the teams come out

DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO
DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO
DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO
DO DO DO DO
DO DO DO
DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO

Docboy
31/08/2005, 3:55 PM
Don't think we need to be worrying about the atmosphere it will be there, guaranteed. Been looking forward to this since the draw was made. Have the day off work and will be in Paddy Cullens around 3 bells. Plenty o scoops be in the ground for 7. Cannot wait, come on you boys in green!!!!!!!!!! :)

jbyrne
31/08/2005, 4:04 PM
Don't think we need to be worrying about the atmosphere it will be there, guaranteed. Been looking forward to this since the draw was made. Have the day off work and will be in Paddy Cullens around 3 bells. Plenty o scoops be in the ground for 7. Cannot wait, come on you boys in green!!!!!!!!!! :)

any chance of a pre match sing song in cullens??

blobbyblob
31/08/2005, 4:15 PM
Powers Tours x 6 guaranteed for Paddy Cullens for goujons and pints anyway

Peadar
01/09/2005, 10:27 AM
How would a few hundred Bodhrans (http://www.buy4now.ie/carrolls/productdetail.aspx?pid=3784&loc=P&catid=4.4) sound in the North Terrace?

Pablo
01/09/2005, 10:29 AM
lets boo any former Rangers players, and lets hope Saha scores cause he plays for United and we love United

pegan
06/09/2005, 3:34 PM
dear sir / madam

As wednesdays match is the most important match for a long time in FAI history, can you advise what initiatives the FAI are organising to 'pump up' the pressure on our friends 'les blues'/

Can I suggest the following

1. doing something similar to the GAA and getting a dedicated singer to sing our Anthem

2. having the words flashing up on a video board

3. A welcome sea of green card as we did for Holland

4. The use of copious flags around the ground - The ones at either ends were impressive before as were the 'airmen'

5. A relaxation of your security personnel with reference to the placing of tricolours over advertising spaces - no problem in France, etc why not here?

6. see foot.ie for further details

Pegan,

(needless to say I heard nothing from them since)

Green Tribe
06/09/2005, 7:13 PM
well done pegan, but they are a bit er slow down there, lets hope they open the email before the game!!!!!!! :eek: :D :eek:

tiktok
07/09/2005, 6:41 AM
DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO
DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO
DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO
DO DO DO DO
DO DO DO
DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO

Isn't that the theme tune to Police academy :D :D :D