PDA

View Full Version : Psp

Kento
28/08/2005, 4:04 PM
Anyone getting the PSP. I am and it looks savage :) :)

Drumcondra Red
28/08/2005, 4:15 PM
Anyone getting the PSP. I am and it looks savage :) :)

Thats great!

Galwayexile
28/08/2005, 6:13 PM
how much u getting it for

tetsujin1979
29/08/2005, 9:25 AM
One of the lads in work picked it up in Taiwan recently. All the games are region free, so he's been importing US games recently. It is really savage, hard to call between it and the PS2. Up until recently I had been thinking about getting one, but I've bought a car, so no more bus or train commutes, and I'd only be playing it at home, which kind of defeats the purpose to be honest.

Pablo
01/09/2005, 9:16 AM
anyone q up last night?

i hear it has wireless internet? is it decent i wonder? reasonably fast like?

Drumcondra Red
01/09/2005, 1:58 PM
Friend of mine's brother has had one for about 7 months, the graphics on the games are something else for a handheld device, very impressive!!!

anto1208
01/09/2005, 3:49 PM
got a go off one today in the sony centre , very very impressive i didnt think it would be that good i was expecting the video playback to look a bit like a plasma screen but its crystal clear , i watched a music video , had a quick blast off wipeout and medi evil . its a ps2 in your hand but because the screen is so small the graffics are even better than on your tv at home .

but the memory card seem a bit small a 1 gb is about 150 euro it says it will hold a movie but surely you would want something with about 20 films stored on it .

Paulie
02/09/2005, 1:12 PM
Excuse my ignorance here but what format are the games in, I assume it's disc? If it is disc will playstation 2 games work on it or do you have to buy games specifically for the psp?

Schumi
02/09/2005, 1:21 PM
It's a new format I believe. The games look something like minidisks as far as I know.

Paulie
02/09/2005, 1:26 PM
It's a new format I believe. The games look something like minidisks as far as I know.

If that's the case I don't think I'll bother getting it. The PS3 is coming out around Christmas isn't it so between that and the xbox I'll have enough different consoles to be buying games for.

tetsujin1979
02/09/2005, 1:29 PM
PS3 isn't due until "early next year", there's no official date from Sony yet, or even when Europe will see it, the PSP has been out for over a year in Japan, yet we're only getting it now.

The next XBox - XBox 360 - is due out at the end of november.

Troy.McClure
02/09/2005, 6:04 PM
So how do you watch movies? DVD drive? Download? :confused:

Why did you bother getting a car tetsujin? Cant you just get a lift to work with Graham? :confused:

tetsujin1979
02/09/2005, 8:35 PM
The movies are on the same format, it's called UMD (Universal Media Disc, I think) and looks like a MiniDisc. The movies are region locked (i.e. a disc bought in America won't work on a European PSP and vice-versa) but the games are region free - a PSP game bought anywhere will work on a PSP bought anywhere.

Bought a car months ago, just brought it up to Dublin recently

the 12 th man
02/09/2005, 8:58 PM
My son bought one,its awesome graphics mean only one thing........i'll have to get one for myself :)

thejollyrodger
02/09/2005, 9:15 PM
you can buy them out of hong kong for €140 euro. they are compatible with games bought here. Good value i think.

whats the PSP like though ? good games ?

It has wifi but I know wifi is pure hard on the battery with my laptop. is it the same with the PSP ?

Troy.McClure
04/09/2005, 1:02 PM
Bought a car months ago, just brought it up to Dublin recently

3 cars in that little drive way? You'll have to park on the weeds, I mean lawn :p

Ruairi
04/09/2005, 2:02 PM
had a bash of ridge racer, which while looking good is still as sh!t as it ever was, everybodys golf which was a blast i have to say and wipeout was pretty impressive..

grand theft auto will make or break the system i reckon.

ThatGuy
11/09/2005, 6:29 PM
Does the PSP play DVDs?

tetsujin1979
11/09/2005, 7:46 PM
Does the PSP play DVDs?
Nope, just UMD's - the native format
None of the portable gaming systems play DVDs

anto1208
19/09/2005, 11:44 AM
does any one have it , i need to get a new mp3 player and was wondering what kinda memory they have , i know you can get memory card s but in town i could only find a 1 gb one .

so does that mean all i can carry with me is 1 gb of songs movies etc or does it store them differently . because 1 gb is nothing

Risteard
26/09/2005, 2:49 PM
UMDs are ridiculously expensive, yes?

anto1208
26/09/2005, 4:50 PM
UMDs are ridiculously expensive, yes?

ive been looking into it as im getting a psp this week , a umd movie is about 30 euro the games are about 40 to 60 , but you can get software to turn your normall dvd into a umd movie file ( it also plays mpeg4 video files ) and you can store this on a memory card , a movie takes up about 500mb

the cards are going on ebay for about 30 to 40 euro for a 1 gb ( there 150 in town ) so you might get a movie an episode or 2 of your fav show and a few songs on one card to carry with you .

best bet is to have 2 cards and fill them up before you go on a trip

the new psp is out in japan now its white , it has new firmware and a better sharp screen (samsung do the europeen one ) you can surf the net with out cracking your machine , it is also game region free so you can play imports which is very important for getting say winning eleven 9 (pro evo 5 )which came out this week for psp ( end of november here ) and of course the movies are region 2 same as here so you can play your movies you buy here .

i reckon i can import a psp value pack (carry case earphone memory card etc) for a total cost of 230 euro and have it in 3 days !!

anto1208
29/09/2005, 8:13 AM
well i got mine yesterday and yes its better than i thought it would be , ive all ready ordered about 85 movies 30 games and 2 1gb memory cards all for under 150 euro from ebay . that should see those boring airport waits sorted for a few months .

picture quality is brilliant , the games are allmost as good as ps2 but the movie quality is better than my tv in my sitting room , they have some weird 3d happening you get drawn right into the screen and forget about the size .

if i had to pick a bad point ........................................ its a bit too shiny ..... and the buttons are painfull to use after 30 mins you get pains up your tumbs but a simple add on all ready out will sort that .

anto1208
04/10/2005, 4:29 PM
after allmost a week with this console i can honestly say its the best gadget ive ever had

ive converted my DVD's to play on it , iv every south park ,family guy , 70's show ,trailer park boys episode ever made ready to be watched on it . and all my movies as well .

this soft ware you can download for free online ,

now the best bit , you can save games to your memory card , you need to download a "loader" but it basically means you dont have to carry around the disk with you ( it can be used to download all the games available for the PSP for free and play them at your leisure but this is highly illegal )

basically you fork out 250 for your psp about 60 EUro for a memory card on ebay( 150 in ireland ) and thats about it . all the games you can download and all the movies etc ....

one bit of advice if you are getting one they give you a disk with an update DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PSP , the operating system is firmware 1.5 the update is 2.0 , 1.5 allows the copying of games etc in 2.0 sony have fixed this problem .

if you have allready installed 2.0 like i did before i found out this stuff then dont worry it is possible to downgrade to 1.5 it involves crashing your psp twice but it does work .

there are also homebrew's online ( home made games ) and emulators that allow you to download and play old classics from snes and sega megadrive etc .