PDA

View Full Version : Rovers 2 Pats 1

1 9 2 8
27/08/2005, 9:27 PM
What a game :D . Great atmosphere the whole Showgrounds singing :eek:

EASY EASY EASY EASY :D

sligoman
27/08/2005, 9:57 PM
the whole Showgrounds singing :eek:I know, even the new stand people :eek:. I nearly cried when I heard the whole ground singing :D. What a match, great performance from the lads and Gerry Carr on the bench. Through to the last eight now, hopefully we'll get another home tie in the next round and get the atmosphere up again. I saw Sean Connor interviewed by the cameras after the game so I think he'll be on EL weekly on Monday night. Come on Rovers, this is our season! :)

red arrow
27/08/2005, 9:58 PM
game full of great football and passion by the players. everyone of them deserves great credit. no one can be singled out it was a brilliant performance and a great match. i wish every week that the people in the stand would respond like that. the high lights for me apart from the goals was everybody running out of the shed after kupono scored, it was great to watch and creatar leaping like a sammon to head the ball away late in the secondhalf. dont think im daft but these two incidents indicated to me the hunger of the supporters and the spirit within the team. i hpe once and for all that the unfair critiscism will stop as these players put in 120 per cent and responded to the backing of the supporters. i thought we were by far the better side and were unlucky not to score another. but fair play to pats they played an open game especially in the second half. its great to see the momentum is kept going and this cup run can only give the team a great lift as long as they keep there heads firmly on the gound. for me i was very proud to be a sligo rovers supporter tonight and it was one of the most memorable games i have seen in a long time.lets all go now and support the race night that the trust are organising. this is the time that the club neds as much finance as possible especially now that the momentum is with them

sligoman
27/08/2005, 10:04 PM
Paul McTiernan's tenth goal of the season dumped St. Pat's out of the FAI Cup as the First Division leaders came from behind to make the quarter-finals in a Showgrounds thriller.

The winner came on 70 minutes when McTiernan stroked home Ian Rossiter's cross from six yards out.

Chris Armstrong has given St. Pat's the initiative when he rounded keeper John O'Hara before blasting the ball into the roof of the net after 34 minutes.

But Rovers were level within six minutes when Kupono Low cut past two defenders to fire home.

sligoman
27/08/2005, 10:14 PM
Sean Connor may have been banished to the sidelines, but his team certainly turned up and produced their best display of the season to claim a place in the quarter finals of this year’s Carlsberg FAI Cup with a deserved two-one victory over Premier Division St Patrick’s Athletic.

The national headlines might write this one off as a shock but truth is in the telling and the story that will be told is that Sligo Rovers were the better team on the night, producing a performance and team spirit that would comfortably grace the Premier Division.

A great cup tie, with Rovers dominating the first half and a second half that was truly end to end with St Pat’s more than playing their part.

Continued here. (http://www.sligorovers.com/match/match%20stats/2005/050827_stpats.htm)

HarpoJoyce
27/08/2005, 11:42 PM
Excellent result Sligo, Well done.
UCD are lucky to be even in the draw for the quarter-finals

redman
28/08/2005, 12:23 AM
Congrats to all the team, the squad, the manager, the whole club on tonight's result.

It's not just the result that pleases me, it was the performance.

It was always going to be interesting to see how we might measure up to a team like St. Pats bearing in mind our promotion aspirations (although this St. Pats team is not one of the best of all time at the moment). I thought we were brilliant and deserved to win by more. Although after that late goal conceded against Limerick 2 weeks ago I was relieved & elated to hear the final whistle.

All the lads were magnificent but purely on the basis of the stick he has taken since his return to the club I would like to mention the performance of Rossi. I would not have been one of his greatest fans but tonight when he came on I thought he was outstanding. In fact I thought I was seeing things with some of the positions he was taking up, his tackling, crossing of the ball etc. Take a bow Mr. Rossiter.

Dodge
28/08/2005, 1:06 AM
As bad as I've ever seen us play. Terrible. You totally deserved the win and were better in every area.

Da Real Rover
28/08/2005, 9:01 AM
Brilliant game, the lads gave it there all and a bit more, total commitment. i thought Pats were poor and there goal was undeserving as it came against the run of play. We could of won by alot more. Pats were poor but they can at least say they had a game of football and not the typical ****e wer so used in the graveyard. My man of the match would have to be Saint Paul, what a genious. And who thought the atmosphere was going to be poor?? and most of all the new stand actually sang, i know i couldnt believe it either. The Pats fans really helped the atmosphere along, its way better when theres away fans there.

Redtop
28/08/2005, 9:02 AM
All the lads were magnificent but purely on the basis of the stick he has taken since his return to the club I would like to mention the performance of Rossi.
definetly 1 of his best games i dont really think much of him but i'll give credit where credit is due... but i cannot jst single out 1 performance it was a great team permormance :) :) also taught nam the man was quality :cool:

Rory H
28/08/2005, 11:29 AM
i couldnt believe rossiter....i forgot he set up the goal....damn wild celebrations!!!!well done to him

also

o hara...8/10
low class goal 8/10
mc namara much better 9/10
burnsy 9/10
faz was faztastic[oh ya!] in 1st half but faded a bit[ o red,no??] in 2nd....raf mc t and faz have a brilliant understanding....8/10
raf...10/10....100% commitment and was a nightmare for them
o grady..showed he is a premier div player 8/10
mc cann good,pity he got injured 7/10
feeney..excellent 8/10
mc t....legend...class finish and i felt him up good at the end :D
flannery...not too shabby....100% effort is all we ask and he gave it!!
foley..composed and good vision...8/10

gareth gorman ...10/10...class for 2 mins!!!!woooo!!!

magnificent effort and we couldnt be happier....

1 9 2 8
28/08/2005, 12:00 PM
From Aertel

SLIGO ROVERS 2 ST PAT'S 1
Paul McTiernan's tenth goal of the
season dumped St. Pat's out of the FAI
Cup as the First Division leaders came
from behind to make the quarter-finals
in a Showgrounds thriller.

The winner came on 70 minutes when
McTiernan stroked home Ian Rossiter's
cross from six yards out.

Chris Armstrong has given St. Pat's the
initiative when he rounded keeper John
O'Hara before blasting the ball into
the roof of the net after 34 minutes.

But Rovers were level within six
minutes when Kupono Low cut past two
defenders to fire home

feo123
28/08/2005, 12:30 PM
Cant ask for any more from any of the players, supporters and management!!
Class performance from all 14 that played! And Gerry Carr- Legend!
Great When paul came over to us at the end, you could see just how much it meant to him! :)

sligoman
28/08/2005, 5:34 PM
Sean Connor's after match comments will be on Ocean Fm soon. Listen Live. (http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/index.php#)

Redtop
28/08/2005, 10:26 PM
mc t....legend...class finish and i felt him up good at the end
I got and awful jawful of sweat when he ran over to us and gave us a hug at the end but wasnt complaining at the time :o :o

ali2005
29/08/2005, 10:33 AM
That match shows us that if we play that good we could hold our own if we do get in the premier division next season.

sligoman
29/08/2005, 12:38 PM
At work FireWall blocking access to be able to listen what did he say ? PleaseI had to go at the last minute so I missed it too :(