Tuesday 24th 7.45pm

Athlone V Waterford

Wexford V Cobh Ramblers

Saturday 28th

Waterford V Athlone-3pm

Cobh Ramblers V Wexford-5pm

nr637
23/10/2023, 9:45 AM
Potential attendances for the Play-Off games.

Athlone would be hoping for well over 1,000+ with Waterford bringing a few hundred away support.
Waterford can expect 2/3,000 in the return on Saturday.

Wexford will hopefully get 7/800 at home, while Cobh have a supporters bus full, so a 100+ will travel at least.
Cobh can get 1,500+ for their home game on Saturday if they get a good first leg result!

nigel-harps1954
23/10/2023, 10:03 AM
Virgin Media will be broadcasting the promotion/relegation playoff final on 10th November.

thebronze14
23/10/2023, 11:37 AM
Virgin Media will be broadcasting the promotion/relegation playoff final on 10th November.

Great to see!

SPXcyan
23/10/2023, 7:33 PM
Weather might have a lot to say on the attendances, brutal stuff down here!
A grand welcome home for me, pishing down rain! love it.

total hoofball
23/10/2023, 8:53 PM
What's everyone's predictions for these ties?

It would be some upset if any of Cobh/Wexford/Athlone make it through all of these ties to secure promotion

I'll be going with Waterford and Wexford to go through these two-leg ties with Waterford to go over Wexford in the next First Division one-off final. I think despite Waterford's patchy end of season form being full-time with players rested/rotated in final few games will get them to that Cork play-off final.

One off play-off final between (most likely) Cork and Waterford at a neutral venue more difficult to call Cork probably would be marginal favourites but these one-off finals have had upsets in the past 3 seasons with Longford beating Shels and UCD twice winning over Waterford

SPXcyan
23/10/2023, 10:39 PM
Athlone slaughtered our defence the last two times, I am not too confident, but it'll be my first LOI game in 3 years.. so I am excited no matter what happens.
A Waterford v Cork final would be preferable of course in Dublin, just... no UCD this time around does me grand, although Cork taught Waterford how to play not too long ago >.>

joey B
23/10/2023, 10:48 PM
What's everyone's predictions for these ties?

It would be some upset if any of Cobh/Wexford/Athlone make it through all of these ties to secure promotion

I'll be going with Waterford and Wexford to go through these two-leg ties with Waterford to go over Wexford in the next First Division one-off final. I think despite Waterford's patchy end of season form being full-time with players rested/rotated in final few games will get them to that Cork play-off final.

One off play-off final between (most likely) Cork and Waterford at a neutral venue more difficult to call Cork probably would be marginal favourites but these one-off finals have had upsets in the past 3 seasons with Longford beating Shels and UCD twice winning over Waterford

I'd fancy Waterford and Cobh to make it through,Athlone have been awful for a while now and Cobh seem to be a better side than Wexford from what I've seen this season, of course if a Pierrot or a Oluwa have a big night anything is possible.....

Whoever makes it through to the final I'd expect Cork to care off though...

EatYerGreens
24/10/2023, 5:03 PM
I expect Waterford and Cobh to progress as well - with Waterford winning, and then losing to Cork in the final.

Jack B
24/10/2023, 8:48 PM
Surely Waterford aren't going to find a way to do it again.

joey B
24/10/2023, 9:18 PM
Was an enjoyable enough game in Athlone,Pierrot missed an absolute sitter in the first half but overall Waterford were the better team and should have won really,they’ll be big favourites to win on Saturday.

3pm on a Saturday is a rubbish time for a playoff game though,not a fan of that…..

thebronze14
25/10/2023, 11:16 AM
Was an enjoyable enough game in Athlone,Pierrot missed an absolute sitter in the first half but overall Waterford were the better team and should have won really,they’ll be big favourites to win on Saturday.

3pm on a Saturday is a rubbish time for a playoff game though,not a fan of that…..

I'm a big fan of football at 3 on a Saturday!! Although when people are used to Friday football I see your point

joey B
25/10/2023, 11:30 AM
It’s just Playoffs specifically,meant to be played under floodlights for me!

total hoofball
25/10/2023, 12:51 PM
I assume these 2nd leg games are being played on the Saturday afternoon due to the Rugby World Cup final at 8pm

But then that raises another question why were these 2nd leg fixtures not scheduled for the usual Friday night in the first place? The FAI published fixture list from December does confirm these 2nd leg matches were always scheduled for Saturday 28th October and the Rugby World Cup final was always scheduled for the Saturday night, you just know a google search of upcoming major sporting events during the next calendar year may be too much effort for the FAI

Burnsie
25/10/2023, 1:40 PM
Shane Keegan mentioned that since they locked up third place, Cobh have been planning a big day in the club bar on Saturday, to include the rugby. Obviously not quite the same draw now that Ireland have been eliminated

nr637
25/10/2023, 1:50 PM
I assume these 2nd leg games are being played on the Saturday afternoon due to the Rugby World Cup final at 8pm

But then that raises another question why were these 2nd leg fixtures not scheduled for the usual Friday night in the first place? The FAI published fixture list from December does confirm these 2nd leg matches were always scheduled for Saturday 28th October and the Rugby World Cup final was always scheduled for the Saturday night, you just know a google search of upcoming major sporting events during the next calendar year may be too much effort for the FAI

I’d say the RWC Final has nothing to do with these fixtures. Both Waterford and Cobh have enough local following to attract big crowds. Any floating rugby supporters would obviously watch the final, but it’s SA v NZ and the general interest here in the competition ended two weeks ago with our defeat to NZ. The RWC doesn’t hold the audience like the soccer WC as it represents more people in the world too.
Just my opinion. ?

JC_GUFC
25/10/2023, 3:35 PM

Presumably because the first legs were midweek it would give an extra 24 hours rest time to the teams.

I would imagine the afternoon kick-off times are to avoid the clash with the rugby as you suggest.

MartyRambler
26/10/2023, 5:41 PM
Shame there is only two legs to the first playoff and not the rest of the games as 1st division teams could do with the money, if Cobh get past Wexford the potential of another €20k in gate revenue would help the club greatly. The flip side is the season would never end....

legendz
27/10/2023, 10:52 PM
Shame there is only two legs to the first playoff and not the rest of the games as 1st division teams could do with the money, if Cobh get past Wexford the potential of another €20k in gate revenue would help the club greatly. The flip side is the season would never end....

Agreed. Clubs could press for that change though. The playoffs semi-finals could have been last Monday and tonight, Friday. The playoff final next Monday and Friday. The promotion/relegation playoff then on the following Monday and Friday.
Losing semi-finalists with one extra home game, losing finalist with two extra home games and the winning finalist with three extra home games. The First Division clubs aren't pushing for that change though and seem ok with the status quo, for now.

total hoofball
28/10/2023, 12:31 PM
Presumably because the first legs were midweek it would give an extra 24 hours rest time to the teams.

I would imagine the afternoon kick-off times are to avoid the clash with the rugby as you suggest.
Well the shift to afternoon kick-off time is less than 24 hours rest time now. FAI should have played the 1st legs on Monday and 2nd legs on Friday it's dumb scheduling

Also El Clasico kicking off at 3.15pm while Waterford/Athlone kicks off at 3pm. I know which game I'm watching it's not the match without international footballing superstars

MartyRambler
28/10/2023, 1:45 PM
Agreed. Clubs could press for that change though. The playoffs semi-finals could have been last Monday and tonight, Friday. The playoff final next Monday and Friday. The promotion/relegation playoff then on the following Monday and Friday.
Losing semi-finalists with one extra home game, losing finalist with two extra home games and the winning finalist with three extra home games. The First Division clubs aren't pushing for that change though and seem ok with the status quo, for now.

Maybe next year. Also final in Inchicore is madness, if Athlone, Cobh or Wexford make it through against Cork then you wouldn't expect more than 300 to go and thats a big stretch. Imagine Cobh or Waterford v Cork over two legs, 6-8k between the games.

sbgawa
28/10/2023, 2:54 PM
1 each at half time on aggregate ....nil all on the day. Waterford v athlone.
What's the story with away goals?

pineapple stu
28/10/2023, 3:02 PM
Don't think they've ever applied?

legendz
28/10/2023, 3:57 PM
Waterford have been Athlone 3-1, 4-2 on aggregate. They took their second and third goals well. On track for their expected promotion/relegation playoff v Cork.

joey B
28/10/2023, 3:59 PM
Job done by Waterford after a little scare from Athlone…
Could see a couple of Athlone’s players picked up by Premier Division teams in the offseason,namely VanGeenan and Pierrot…..

ger121
28/10/2023, 4:04 PM
Pierott definitely could be at a PD club next season.

pineapple stu
28/10/2023, 4:16 PM
The owners would probably rather he got picked up by a higher-profile league I guess? I don't know are they speculating with players to try make a few quid; seems to be the way the squad is set up.

Hard to make a name for yourself in the LoI First Division, but he's certainly given it a shot.

outspoken
28/10/2023, 5:40 PM
Job done by Waterford after a little scare from Athlone…
Could see a couple of Athlone’s players picked up by Premier Division teams in the offseason,namely VanGeenan and Pierrot…..

Van Geenan not good enough for that level, gives up way too many chances just not punished often enough in FD,.

Battery Rover
28/10/2023, 6:09 PM
The owners would probably rather he got picked up by a higher-profile league I guess? I don't know are they speculating with players to try make a few quid; seems to be the way the squad is set up.

Hard to make a name for yourself in the LoI First Division, but he's certainly given it a shot.

Seemingly they turned down an offer from a league one club during transfer window as offer was too small.

Although he scores plenty it depends on the style of football the team play. Heard from coaches that he is too heavy / muscular to play a pressing game and is more suited to being the target man type.

Dylan Gavin is a far better prospect when he gets his fitness 100%.

legendz
28/10/2023, 6:22 PM
Cobh 1-1 Wexford, agg 2-1. Waterford v Cobh next Saturday in the final.

joey B
28/10/2023, 6:49 PM
I presume the final will be in Turners Cross yeah?

legendz
28/10/2023, 7:57 PM
Sligo drew 0-0 with Drogheda today, confirming that it will be Cork City to take on Waterford or Cobh.

SeanDrog
28/10/2023, 9:33 PM
Sligo drew 0-0 with Drogheda today, confirming that it will be Cork City to take on Waterford or Cobh.

I watched Cork vs Waterford in FAI cup and it was ALL Cork … Waterford were very underwhelming … I’m expecting Cork to stay up

legendz
28/10/2023, 10:05 PM
I presume the final will be in Turners Cross yeah?

https://leagueofireland.ie/news/waterford-to-meet-cobh-ramblers-in-sse-airtricity-mens-first-division-playoff-final/id-5217

"Airtricity Men’s First Division Play-Off Final on Saturday, November 4.
A draw took place after today’s Play-Offs and Waterford have been drawn as the designated home team and Cobh Ramblers the away team. Turner’s Cross has been scheduled as the venue for the fixture. However, the venue remains TBC due to projected weather forecasts from Met Eireann over the next seven days. The venue, kick off time and ticket details for the fixture will be confirmed in due course depending on weather developments."

Bunny Kelly
29/10/2023, 6:48 AM
Surely Waterford should have home advantage for the playoff final. I have no problem with the playoffs going down to 5th but there has to be more of an advantage for the higher up you finish

legendz
29/10/2023, 8:03 AM
Surely Waterford should have home advantage for the playoff final. I have no problem with the playoffs going down to 5th but there has to be more of an advantage for the higher up you finish

It would be fair and a carrot for finishing higher in the league. If the promotion-relegation playoff is to remain a one off game as well, the First Division team should be given the high profile home game. The Premier Division team only have to play one game.

bohsmug
29/10/2023, 11:14 AM
It would be fair and a carrot for finishing higher in the league. If the promotion-relegation playoff is to remain a one off game as well, the First Division team should be given the high profile home game. The Premier Division team only have to play one game.

Whatever about the promotion/relegation match, I do think the higher placed team should have home advantage throughout the first division playoffs. One legged semi finals at the higher placed teams home ground and of the 2 teams who qualify for the final, the team who finished highest in the league gets home advantage. That's objectively based on gaining the advantage through your league position in the same competition/division.

legendz
29/10/2023, 2:08 PM
Whatever about the promotion/relegation match, I do think the higher placed team should have home advantage throughout the first division playoffs. One legged semi finals at the higher placed teams home ground and of the 2 teams who qualify for the final, the team who finished highest in the league gets home advantage. That's objectively based on gaining the advantage through your league position in the same competition/division.
That's a fair shout too. First Division clubs have already played each other 4 times over the course of the regular season. 2nd at home to 5th and 3rd at home to 4th in one legged semi-finals seems fair. Rewarding the higher placed finalist with home advantage is also fair.
If the semi-finals and final were one leg, the promotion-relegation playoff being two legs then seems fair as those sides haven't played each other in the league.

Johnnie C
30/10/2023, 8:52 PM
Blair McNally was at Cobh v Wexford.
https://youtu.be/LP7n_yr7xA0?si=n3IGZQ0QpOCw7Ai5

joey B
31/10/2023, 12:56 PM
Game confirmed for Turners Cross at 5pm on Saturday.

Jd2793
31/10/2023, 1:17 PM
Game confirmed for Turners Cross at 5pm on Saturday.

tc not fit to hold 3 games in a week. madness they've let this game go ahead here, the pitch was destroyed yesterday. apparently if cob h win saturday it'll be ccfc v cobh in TC too. pitch will be a mudbath

sbgawa
31/10/2023, 2:04 PM
Cork almost scored at the end against Rovers but the ball got stuck in the mud in the goalmouth and the Cork striker didnt pull the trigger as he was expecting the ball to roll.
Havent seen enough of either cobh or Waterford to know who would be better suited but its a serious leveller

nigel-harps1954
31/10/2023, 2:40 PM
Pitch was horrendous. There's zero chance of making that near playable for Saturday, and again for Ireland under-21s against Italy in a couple of weeks.

outspoken
31/10/2023, 11:08 PM
Cork almost scored at the end against Rovers but the ball got stuck in the mud in the goalmouth and the Cork striker didnt pull the trigger as he was expecting the ball to roll.
Havent seen enough of either cobh or Waterford to know who would be better suited but its a serious leveller
Would definitely suit Cobh more.

Martinho II
01/11/2023, 8:46 PM
Would definitely suit Cobh more.

Theres a very good interview with shane keegan in irish sun today he said that it suits Cobh to be underdog like they have being for majority of season. I had forgotten completely they were bottom last season!

nr637
03/11/2023, 11:06 AM
Any idea from both Waterford and Cobh clubs on ticket sales for the Play-Off at Turners Cross on Saturday?

According to posts, Cobh had nearly 2,000 for their home leg with Wexford, surely they could expect 1,000 to attend in TC.
As for Waterford they have had great travelling support as was seen last year from their previous play-off games in Limerick against Galway and in Richmond Park against UCD!

So we could be looking at a 2,000+ attendance!

By the by is this game on LOITV?

:confused:

nigel-harps1954
03/11/2023, 12:09 PM
With Cork City being away tonight, you'd expect, if the weather is half decent, a sizeable enough Cork following to take a nosey at this ahead of the playoff final. You'd have to be disappointed if there's any less than 3,000 at this.

MartyRambler
03/11/2023, 2:02 PM
With Cork City being away tonight, you'd expect, if the weather is half decent, a sizeable enough Cork following to take a nosey at this ahead of the playoff final. You'd have to be disappointed if there's any less than 3,000 at this.

Would like to think there would be 2k minimum at it as you say the winners play Cork so some might take a wander down for a preview. Weather will defo play a big part in it though.

Comic Book Guy
03/11/2023, 2:08 PM
Munster FA posted pictures of the pitch on social media, looks like some transformation of the pitch in a few days. It's been pretty nice down here the last couple of days, storm Ciaran missed us thankfully.

SPXcyan
03/11/2023, 7:39 PM
It certainly does looks decent enough for a proper game of ball, hopefully it'll hold up.