PDA

View Full Version : Dundalk pitch, comments?

Slash/ED
26/08/2005, 9:17 PM
Who watched their match today?

Without even talking about the match itself, what did everyone think of the pitch? It played like an excellent proper playing surface imo, and even looked like one too. It helped produce alot of good passing play, what did everyone else think?

sligoman
26/08/2005, 9:18 PM
what did everyone else think?Looked ok overall but whenever the ball bounced on it, it looked like the "grass" was bouncing up :confused:

Slash/ED
26/08/2005, 9:20 PM
Looked ok overall but whenever the ball bounced on it, it looked like the "grass" was bouncing up :confused:

That was odd, it wasn't grass but this weird black dusty thing. At first I thought it would be an issue but it didn't seem to have any impact whatsoever on the game or the bounce of the ball.

student
26/08/2005, 9:41 PM
the black stuff is a rubber type substance (recycled tyres in some cases)

Réiteoir
26/08/2005, 9:42 PM
That was odd, it wasn't grass but this weird black dusty thing. At first I thought it would be an issue but it didn't seem to have any impact whatsoever on the game or the bounce of the ball.

The black stuff is the rubber-type infill that forms the base of the pitch and makes the "grass" stand up.

Very much like the sand you get on the old type astroturf pitches.

Doesn't affect the bounce of the ball - but the bloody stuff gets EVERYWHERE - but mostly into your boots.

geysir
26/08/2005, 10:47 PM
I thought the bounce was affected, the ball never bounced high and didn't seem to zip along just stopped almost dead after one bounce.

superfrank
26/08/2005, 10:53 PM
I saw that on TG4. They said the bounce was affected. I just flicked through it there (had it taped). The pitch seemed alright, apart form all the sand bouncing.

I think they said 250 tonnes of sand and 150 tonnes of rubber had gone into it.

sligoman
26/08/2005, 11:31 PM
They said the bounce was affected.Somebody knows their Irish:eek: ;)
I think they said 250 tonnes of sand and 150 tonnes of rubber had gone into it.Maybe not then! :rolleyes: :D

Stevo Da Gull
27/08/2005, 12:00 AM
Somebody knows their Irish:eek: Maybe not then! :D

Tá SF agus mé féin ag freastail ar scoil lán gaeilge ;) Going back next Thursday so I figured that I might as well see if i can begin accessing the Irish that has been locked away in my brain for the summer :D , just joking :eek: All of these games on TG4 (the ones that I will get to watch) should be good for my Irish speaking.
Anyhow back to the subject, was the macth good/entertaining?

dcfcsteve
27/08/2005, 12:21 AM
Thought the pitch looked well. I'm not in any great position to comment on the game though - I fell asleep on the sofa early in the first half, and only woke up when Drogs scored their first... :o

It was weird seeing the rubber fly up from the grass - looked like machine gun fire was following the feet of the players, and every time the ball came down heavy it was like a mortar shell landing/mini explosion !

I was surprised by how much Dundalk passed the ball around, tbh. Probably unfairly, but I expected a first division team playing against a Premier side to just hoof it around all the time.

Wasn't that exciting a game overall to be fair. Looked like a decent crowd though - anyone know how many ?

Dyl10
27/08/2005, 12:46 AM
Official match attendance 4152 :eek:

dcfcsteve
27/08/2005, 1:36 AM
Official match attendance 4152 :eek:

Really ? Where'd you get that figure from ?

Feck that's good.....!

Just shows the potential in Dundalk that's been asleep for the last decade.

CollegeTillIDie
27/08/2005, 8:16 AM
Really ? Where'd you get that figure from ?

Feck that's good.....!

Just shows the potential in Dundalk that's been asleep for the last decade.
That crowd is way better than anything they have got in 15 years. When they won the Premier Division in 1994/95 their average crowds were around 800.

As regards the pitch it is a similar surface to the one used by Templeogue United and St. Judes GAA for training and occasionally for matches. It is a good surface and when fully bedded in will be a pleasure to play on. It is very comfortable to walk on as well if you have any reason to cross it.

Comic Book Guy
27/08/2005, 8:33 AM
Pitch looked good apart from the dust which flew up every time a ball was kicked, they say that the dust will be gone in a few months.
As for the game Dundalk created a few chances second half but overall Drogheda looked comfortable, great crowd too.
One minor thing though, The Dundalk mascot? Was a bit cringe inducing!

Breifne
27/08/2005, 9:18 AM
Pitch looked good apart from the dust which flew up every time a ball was kicked, they say that the dust will be gone in a few months.

I think it's more or less the same sort of surface as what is in UCD, and the Oscar Traynor Centre, having played on both of these surfaces, the are very similar to grass, don't think there is an major issue with the bounce, at least i haven't noticed it, and for goalkeepers, it doesn't tear the legs off you like old astro turf used to.

The Black stuff does get everywhere, i sticks to your boots, and socks, and anywhere else it can get to.

Colie
27/08/2005, 9:26 AM
I'm so against the use of this stuff. I really really hate it. I doesn't come near to real grass. It is a really good knock around surface but ruins the reality of a football match when full matches are played on it. I'm really dissapointed that they've gone & done this. :mad:

holidaysong
27/08/2005, 9:34 AM
Good buzz around the place last night. Pity about the result obviously but I don't think a neutral watching would have realised which team was in which division.

As for the attendence of 4152, I would say that is right. There was a good crowd down from Drogheda. The ball seemed to play fine to me even with the rubber bouncing up and the pitch looks very good from up close.

P.S. The less said about some of the decisions from Alan Kelly the better... :rolleyes:

superfrank
27/08/2005, 9:47 AM
Tá SF agus mé féin ag freastail ar scoil lán gaeilge ;) Going back next Thursday so I figured that I might as well see if i can begin accessing the Irish that has been locked away in my brain for the summer :D , just joking :eek:

Don't remind me....!!!

Cosmo
27/08/2005, 10:45 AM
'One minor thing though, The Dundalk mascot? Was a bit cringe inducing!'

Too true, rumour around boiel was that she takes it up the a**e

Boriel park is a bouncing castle, boriel park is a bouncing castle.........

Funny moment of the night - Sean Connolly welcoming drogs to boriel by saying 'welcome to craptown' :D

Drumcondra Red
27/08/2005, 11:05 AM
One minor thing though, The Dundalk mascot? Was a bit cringe inducing!

Have you ever seen Bray's one??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

holidaysong
27/08/2005, 11:06 AM
Boriel park is a bouncing castle, boriel park is a bouncing castle.........

Couldn't stop myself laughing at that... :D :p

dcfcsteve
27/08/2005, 12:46 PM
'One minor thing though, The Dundalk mascot? Was a bit cringe inducing!'

Meant to mention that myself !

The most unconvincing mascot I've ever seen - just looked like a man with a thing on his head. You could clearly see the guy's neck between the head and the rest of the costume. Dreadful...

I hope they didn't pay good money for that...

geysir
27/08/2005, 1:31 PM
As regards the pitch it is a similar surface to the one used by Templeogue United and St. Judes GAA for training and occasionally for matches. It is a good surface and when fully bedded in will be a pleasure to play on. It is very comfortable to walk on as well if you have any reason to cross it.
Astro turf is now history, the company is declared bankrupt.
What is the difference between the Dundalk one and those two? There are two almost identical types in the USA, Astroplay
Astroplay article (http://www.thedmonline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/04/16/3e9d1ecd562f2)
and Fieldturf (as in Oriel pk.)
The cost is about the same €500,000.
The Dundalk man interviewed on TG4, Connolly, said that it was the first of its type in the world but fieldturf (http://www.fieldturf.com/soccer/fifaRecommended.cfm) give a longlist of installations.

According to FIFA, Borussia (monchengladbach) pk. brand new stadium (45,000 seats cost € 85m!) has a german manufactured identical surface. So maybee team Ireland should get some practice done in Oriel pk.

pineapple stu
27/08/2005, 11:45 PM
Didn't think much of the pitch, to be honest. All the rubber/muck/whatever flying up looked bad (fair enough if it's going to be gone in a few months, but still), and the bounce was definitely affected - the ball stopped up short a couple of times.

superfrank
28/08/2005, 11:27 AM
Somebody knows their Irish:eek: ;) Maybe not then! :rolleyes: :D
I thought 400 tonnes sounded a bit much for one pitch to hold.

pineapple stu
28/08/2005, 6:54 PM
No, I think 150 and 250 tonnes was what he said. A football pitch is about one acre in size - you'd be surprised how much material it'd take to lay a pitch a couple of inches thick.

superfrank
28/08/2005, 6:59 PM
Fair enough but in response to sligoman's jibes I have pretty good Irish.