PDA

View Full Version : FAI: Match Preview | Republic of Ireland v Greece

Foot.ie
12/10/2023, 5:40 PM
https://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/2645674%20%281%29.jpg

Ireland will be looking to take maximum points in this window against Greece and Gibraltar to have any hope of remaining in the automatic qualification race for UEFA EURO 2024.
Greece travel to Dublin having secured a 2-1 win over Ireland in Athens in June and Stephen Kenny's side will be looking to avenge that result tomorrow night.
Match Details
Fixture: Republic of Ireland v Greece
Competition: UEFA EURO 2024 Qualifying
Date: Friday, October 13
Kick-off: 7.45pm
Venue: Aviva Stadium
TV: RTE
Match Officials
Referee: Gleen Nyberg (SWE)
Assistant Referee 1: Mahbod Beigi (SWE)
Assistant Referee 2: Andreas Söderqvist (SWE)
Fourth Official: Adam Ladebäck (SWE)
Video Assistant Referee: Tomasz Kwiatkowski (POL)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Bartosz Frankowski (POL)
Team News
Forward Sammie Szmodics has withdrawn from the squad due to family reasons. Otherwise, Stephen Kenny has a fully fit 23-man squad to choose from with Alan Browne recovering from illness earlier in the week.
MD-1 Press Conference v Greece | Manager Stephen Kenny
“It's going to be a real epic battle, Greece have been consistent over the last couple of seasons and we've got to produce a big performance to win. We can look at Gibraltar after that and then take it into the next window.
“At the moment, we're just firmly focused on Friday because it is a big challenge for us on Friday and one that we must rise to. I know the players are very determined to put in a strong performance and get that victory that we need.
"The atmosphere at the home games has been really electric, people realise it's a special occasion, Ireland playing at home, we want to finish the group strongly, we are still in contention for automatic qualification.
“It's not in our own hands, we are relying on results elsewhere, we have to see if we can take it to the November window and the only way we can do that is by taking six points from this window."
MD-1 Press Conference v Greece | Captain Shane Duffy
"It is a young team. Me and Matt (Doherty) are now the oldest. It is a new role I suppose but very enjoyable trying to keep up with the young lads.
"I suppose it is up to us to lead by example around the place and try and guide where possible, I try and do it anyway when Seamus (Coleman) is in and even John (Egan).
"We're missing a few big characters around the place but the younger boys are their own characters in their own ways. I don't look at them as young lads anymore, they're very experienced around the place now.
"It is an enjoyable group, I've really enjoyed the week and just looking forward to the game."
WATCH THE FULL MD-1 PRESS CONFERENCE HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMbaNkjm5bg&t=313s)
Match Facts - Republic of Ireland v Greece - Provided by StatsPerform
- Republic of Ireland have never beaten Greece in four previous meetings (D1 L3), losing 2-1 in the reverse Euro 2024 qualifier in June in Athens.
- Greece have won both of their previous two away matches at the Republic of Ireland, both 1-0 wins in friendlies in April 2000 and November 2012.
- Greece have won six of their last eight European Championship qualifiers (L2), including a 5-0 win over Gibraltar in September, their biggest win in a Euros qualifier since November 2007, a 5-0 win against Malta.
- Greece have lost their last two competitive away matches, after only losing two of their previous 12 (W7 D3 L2). They haven’t lost three competitive away games in a row since September 2001.
- Adam Idah has scored in each of the Republic of Ireland’s last two home European Championship qualifiers. This century, the only Eire player to net in three home Euro qualifying appearances in a row is Robbie Keane in March 2011.
- Greece’s Giorgos Masouras has four goals in five Euro 2024 qualifying appearances, netting those goals from just six shots on target. He also netted the winner against the Republic of Ireland in June.
Republic of Ireland Squad - Greece/Gibraltar
Goalkeepers: Gavin Bazunu (Southampton), Mark Travers (Stoke City, on loan from AFC Bournemouth), Max O'Leary (Bristol City).
Defenders: Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Festy Ebosele (Udinese), Nathan Collins (Brentford), Shane Duffy (Norwich City), Dara O'Shea (Burnley), Andrew Omobamidele (Nottingham Forest), Liam Scales (Celtic), Ryan Manning (Southampton).
Midfielders: Josh Cullen (Burnley), Jayson Molumby (West Bromwich Albion), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Will Smallbone (Southampton), Jason Knight (Bristol City), Jamie McGrath (Aberdeen), Mark Sykes (Bristol City).
Forwards: Evan Ferguson (Brighton and Hove Albion), Adam Idah (Norwich City), Chiedozie Ogbene (Luton Town), Callum Robinson (Cardiff City), Mikey Johnston (Celtic).
Fixtures - UEFA EURO 2024 Qualifiers
13/10 - Republic of Ireland v Greece, Aviva Stadium, 7.45pm
16/10 - Gibraltar v Republic of Ireland, Estádio Algarve, 7.45pm (Irish Time)

Ireland Category:
Senior Men (https://foot.ie/ireland/teams/senior-men)

Choose Site:
Ireland

Match Preview / Report:
Match Preview

Match ID:
Republic of Ireland - Greece | 2024 - UEFA European Qualifiers | 2036431

Introduction:
Republic of Ireland welcome Greece to the Aviva Stadium for their final home qualifying match of the campaign on Friday night.

[MORE (https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/match-preview-republic-of-ireland-v-greece)]