PDA

View Full Version : Treaty in for Treat

Pages : [1] 2

ger121
11/10/2023, 1:41 PM
Treaty have been bought over it seems as reported by the 42.

https://x.com/davidsneyd/status/1712096853804630142?s=46

nr637
12/10/2023, 8:26 AM
According to the Irish Examiner Treaty United and Drogheda United latest LOI clubs to confirm takeovers

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-41246326.html

nr637
12/10/2023, 1:55 PM
US investment firm set to take over Drogheda United

In a statement published on the club website, Drogheda said: "Post-acquisition, Trivela Group plans to;

a) Increase investment,
b) Implement a comprehensive long-term plan,
c) Plan to fully professionalise the sporting department,
d) Increase the overall fan experience at Weavers Park in the short term,
e) Begin discussions around a new stadium for Drogheda United FC for the long term.

Have we heard all this before! :confused:

I have to be positive when you have outside investment interest in any domestic soccer here, because the Government have no interest unless its of an International Event!

Burnsie
12/10/2023, 2:04 PM
"begin discussions around a new stadium" ?

Have they already outgrown the one Delaney announced as a done deal more than five years ago (https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/drogheda-united-new-stadium-louth-12983244)?

Nesta99
12/10/2023, 2:58 PM
US investment firm set to take over Drogheda United

In a statement published on the club website, Drogheda said: "Post-acquisition, Trivela Group plans to;

a) Increase investment,
b) Implement a comprehensive long-term plan,
c) Plan to fully professionalise the sporting department,
d) Increase the overall fan experience at Weavers Park in the short term,
e) Begin discussions around a new stadium for Drogheda United FC for the long term.

Have we heard all this before! :confused:

I have to be positive when you have outside investment interest in any domestic soccer here, because the Government have no interest unless its of an International Event!

Firstly, where are all the 'will end in tears' mystic megs? Secondly that Pie in the Sky Park MkIIII was never actually agreed beyond LCC giving the plot of land and some plans drawn up by the club. Was never a municipal facility. It may even have been part of a land swap for United Park but maybe Im merging all these plans in to one or 2 memories at ths stage.

CraftyToePoke
12/10/2023, 3:12 PM
Jeez, even a token Treaty thread has become a Drogheda discussion. Sums it up well, senior ball excitement levels in Limerick at the moment.

Can whoever is about to throw money at this find a way to use the word Limerick would be my first request.

NeverFeltBetter
12/10/2023, 3:34 PM
Treaty news a bit out of left field! Wonder much investment we can expect, not finding much info on Tricorps beyond the news reports and their website. Also is it the best idea for the CEO/minority stakeholder to be a member of one of the squads?

Shearer
12/10/2023, 3:59 PM
Jeez, even a token Treaty thread has become a Drogheda discussion. Sums it up well, senior ball excitement levels in Limerick at the moment.

Can whoever is about to throw money at this find a way to use the word Limerick would be my first request.
Ah yes, a niche forum is the ultimate indicator of interest.

There hasn't been a thread about Limerick Junior on the Junior forum in years, fwiw

Shearer
12/10/2023, 4:00 PM
Treaty news a bit out of left field! Wonder much investment we can expect, not finding much info on Tricorps beyond the news reports and their website. Also is it the best idea for the CEO/minority stakeholder to be a member of one of the squads?
She only played a handful of games at the start. I'd say a lot of her presence was to bed in Canadians coming over.

CraftyToePoke
12/10/2023, 4:11 PM
Ah yes, a niche forum is the ultimate indicator of interest.

There hasn't been a thread about Limerick Junior on the Junior forum in years, fwiw

Bit of a tone ? Bit touchy today ?

Club support always had a presence here when allowed with plenty posters on here generally and even its own forum also for a bit, none of which are the case at present. Also, outside of here isn't it the only club not feeling the attendance growth across the league ?

Anyway, cautious welcome for this news and wonder what it will mean for the Tommy Barrett come next season, it'd be interesting to see him operate with a bit of budget I think.

Shearer
12/10/2023, 5:02 PM
Bit of a tone ? Bit touchy today ?

Club support always had a presence here when allowed with plenty posters on here generally and even its own forum also for a bit, none of which are the case at present. Also, outside of here isn't it the only club not feeling the attendance growth across the league ?

Anyway, cautious welcome for this news and wonder what it will mean for the Tommy Barrett come next season, it'd be interesting to see him operate with a bit of budget I think.
Not intended, apologies.

I miss greater Limerick presence on here but found certain sub forums (like the Junior one) have died off and some people given it up. I think covid and the year off of Limerick football has a role to play and likewise with Treaty attendances.

It's up to the club now to try and re-engage people who might have fallen off the wagon and get more floating fans to reach levels achieved by other clubs.

joey B
12/10/2023, 5:12 PM
Would having Limerick in your team name be important for people down there? Personally I’d have thought it would be a much better idea to have in there somewhere but not sure if the Treaty name has now stuck for the hardcore…..

CraftyToePoke
12/10/2023, 5:18 PM
Not intended, apologies.

I miss greater Limerick presence on here but found certain sub forums (like the Junior one) have died off and some people given it up. I think covid and the year off of Limerick football has a role to play and likewise with Treaty attendances.

It's up to the club now to try and re-engage people who might have fallen off the wagon and get more floating fans to reach levels achieved by other clubs.

Yer grand.

It is missed yes and I assumed they were all just gathered elsewhere online and I hadn't located it, but not the case no ? Everyone and all clubs faced covid though so I dunno.

Also with players from all over Ireland now representing the national team, the city or county doesn't have that to cheer, considering it was such a talent hotbed at Junior level and players from the regions started to come through at international level, you kind of assumed a Limerick one ( at least ) would come and it hasn't. There aren't even that many journeymen lower league lads in the UK to keep an eye on.

EatYerGreens
12/10/2023, 5:18 PM
Would having Limerick in your team name be important for people down there? Personally I’d have thought it would be a much better idea to have in there somewhere but not sure if the Treaty name has now stuck for the hardcore…..

If these guys are trying to create a strong football 'brand', it would be absoutelymcriminal to not use the name Limerick when doing so.

Limerick is a well-recognised name internationally (as much to do with poems as anytuing else). If you ask someone in Europe where a team called Treaty United play, they'd probably guess they're Amerfican. But most will know where Limerick is.

CraftyToePoke
12/10/2023, 5:22 PM

I would have a preference for it yes. Wouldn't stop me supporting & it won't magically fix things if they revert to it ( any more than moving back to the Markets Field fixed things ) but its a Limerick side and should be called that I think.

Shearer
12/10/2023, 5:52 PM

I would have a preference for it yes. Wouldn't stop me supporting & it won't magically fix things if they revert to it ( any more than moving back to the Markets Field fixed things ) but its a Limerick side and should be called that I think.
Agree with CTP. I probably would prefer Limerick but not overly bothered, can see why others would pine for it.

The Markets Field comment is a good one. I spoke to someone recently who said that people would say they'd come back and support Limerick when they were in the Markets Field. Similarly you have people saying same about the name.

Winning helps though.

sbgawa
13/10/2023, 2:25 PM
The only reason Treaty didnt use the name Limerick was becasue they "aledgedly" were threatened with legal action by someone who said he owned the Limerick name.
The case would have been laughed out of court imho but Treaty didnt want to waste money they didnt have.
Hopefully the new Investors bite the bullet and go with Limerick Utd, or City , or Rovers :)

Burnsie
13/10/2023, 2:37 PM
Heard the same lad asserted his rights over the colour blue as well

joey B
17/10/2023, 12:35 PM
Name change likely for 2025.

EatYerGreens
17/10/2023, 1:20 PM
I spoke to someone recently who said that people would say they'd come back and support Limerick when they were in the Markets Field. Similarly you have people saying same about the name.

Winning helps though.

Gobsh!tes will always have an excuse to blame someone else for them not supportinng their local team.

Martinho II
17/10/2023, 9:19 PM
Name change likely for 2025.

Seen piece on virgin news about this. Best of luck in this change.

topfan
17/10/2023, 9:24 PM
I've been a club member for the last 3 seasons but have found it increasingly hard to get behind Treaty, lets be honest they're going nowhere and the Markets Field is starting to drift towards a ****hole stadium that offers Limerick soccer nothing. Down here Treaty is still referred to as Limerick by a lot of causal soccer fans so a revert back to Limerick something is vital imo and hopefully the MF might be taken over by the council so it can be developed. There's so much potential down here it just needs a bit of joined up thinking.

Nesta99
18/10/2023, 3:19 AM
Is MF a longterm leasehold or what is the ownership model. In the past it seemed to just be a burden to those on the LEDP(?) so maybe depending on the type of lease it could be transferred to the council to make SPG grant applications as it would be highly unlikely that they would do SDCC and see the potential of a smaller sized municipal stadium to compliment the Gaelic Grounds and Thomond.

Shearer
18/10/2023, 7:58 AM
I've been a club member for the last 3 seasons but have found it increasingly hard to get behind Treaty, lets be honest they're going nowhere and the Markets Field is starting to drift towards a ****hole stadium that offers Limerick soccer nothing. Down here Treaty is still referred to as Limerick by a lot of causal soccer fans so a revert back to Limerick something is vital imo and hopefully the MF might be taken over by the council so it can be developed. There's so much potential down here it just needs a bit of joined up thinking.
That's a fair assessment.

Is MF a longterm leasehold or what is the ownership model. In the past it seemed to just be a burden to those on the LEDP(?) so maybe depending on the type of lease it could be transferred to the council to make SPG grant applications as it would be highly unlikely that they would do SDCC and see the potential of a smaller sized municipal stadium to compliment the Gaelic Grounds and Thomond.
I think it's a year to year thing.
The LEDP do not care, the best time they ever had was probably in 2020 when they just had to water and cut a pitch and have no sport on it.
The stadium manager speaks vocally online about his love for the ground but some of the basic things that aren't done is crazy considering there's people in there daily.

Nesta99
18/10/2023, 11:58 AM
LEDP manage th ground, developments et al but do they own it or if not who?

Shearer
18/10/2023, 4:54 PM
They own it. It was handed to them by JP. Pretty sure of the clubs that are renting stadia, Treaty are behind Rovers in terms of rent price and ahead of everyone else.

joey B
19/10/2023, 1:47 PM
Interesting tidbit from LOI Central I heard today that investors seem to contact the FAI first in regards to investing in clubs and are steered in whatever direction the FAI considers best,not sure if that’s how the Treaty investment came about but still an interesting part of the new investment that’s currently entering the league….

total hoofball
19/10/2023, 6:14 PM
Interesting tidbit from LOI Central I heard today that investors seem to contact the FAI first in regards to investing in clubs and are steered in whatever direction the FAI considers best,not sure if that’s how the Treaty investment came about but still an interesting part of the new investment that’s currently entering the league….
I wouldn't be surprised by that FAI effectively providing preliminary guidance to prospective investors before official approaches are made almost like selling franchises. I don't know exactly the ins and outs of how Shels/Iilicali came about earlier in the season along with known interest in Pats/Dundalk I believe Iilicali's team were on the ground researching the Irish market for a number of months before the initial Dundalk reports emerged in February

Maybe the FAI will be touting the likes of Dundalk, Harps who could do with investment or have new stadiums on the way?

outspoken
19/10/2023, 7:47 PM

Ciara McCormack said on BTS this week she initially wanted to set up a women's team in West Cork (family connections) but FAI told her they've moved away from setting up teams, it's all about clubs now (underage, mens, womens etc) and pointed her towards a few clubs who might welcome some help, one of them was Treaty.

EatYerGreens
20/10/2023, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised by that FAI effectively providing preliminary guidance to prospective investors before official approaches are made almost like selling franchises. I don't know exactly the ins and outs of how Shels/Iilicali came about earlier in the season along with known interest in Pats/Dundalk I believe Iilicali's team were on the ground researching the Irish market for a number of months before the initial Dundalk reports emerged in February

Maybe the FAI will be touting the likes of Dundalk, Harps who could do with investment or have new stadiums on the way?

You can see people being intersted in a club in a fast-growing city/town like Limerick/Dundalk, but Harps is a bit of a stretch realistically.

ToberonaTornado
21/10/2023, 6:37 AM
Thread needs more lfc fans opinion.
Always respected LTID opinions here, you about sir??

osarusan
22/10/2023, 9:54 AM
Bit of a strange one - the word 'investment' always makes me shiver in LOI terms, as, with the possible exception of Dundalk over their Euro spells, has there ever been an investor in with a shout of clawing back their investment?

The boom-bust cycle is obvious, so I wonder what the end goal for these investors is.

Still, as long as it's only their own money they are pouring into the black hole that is an LOI club, lets see where it goes.

brendy_éire
22/10/2023, 1:58 PM
The boom-bust cycle is obvious, so I wonder what the end goal for these investors is.

Still, as long as it's only their own money they are pouring into the black hole that is an LOI club, lets see where it goes.

Wonder this too. Listening to interviews from both clubs, and no-one really admitted what they're ultimately in it for, even though we all know it's profit.
The investors will know that, whatever their talk about sustainability and the like, there is no real need to make any sort of sustainable investment, improve the stadium, etc.

NeverFeltBetter
23/10/2023, 10:06 AM
You'd have to assume it's a tilt at Europe within a few seasons? That's the only way I can realistically see these kinds of entities making a profit off clubs like Treaty.

I'm happy enough as things stand with this group. Treaty have existed in a kind of limbo since they started, just about good enough for the last play-off place (or being close to it this season) but with pretty much everyone admitting they haven't a hope of going any farther. Only investment in players and some facilities will change that. It could all end in tears, but then again that's a standard state of affairs for loads of LOI clubs season-to-season. I'd be interested in seeing how Barrett does with some kind of budget, it feels like he's been in that job (if you include his time with Limerick FC) a very long time.

da bishop
23/10/2023, 3:04 PM
You'd have to assume it's a tilt at Europe within a few seasons? That's the only way I can realistically see these kinds of entities making a profit off clubs like Treaty.

I'm happy enough as things stand with this group. Treaty have existed in a kind of limbo since they started, just about good enough for the last play-off place (or being close to it this season) but with pretty much everyone admitting they haven't a hope of going any farther. Only investment in players and some facilities will change that. It could all end in tears, but then again that's a standard state of affairs for loads of LOI clubs season-to-season. I'd be interested in seeing how Barrett does with some kind of budget, it feels like he's been in that job (if you include his time with Limerick FC) a very long time.
Had a fulltime budget with Limerick Fc afaik and that didnt end well and of course was everbodys fault but his own.

Budgie
23/10/2023, 6:12 PM
Hahaha budgie you really have it in for Barrett that's right he did and as well documented lost all the full time players half way through the season as they were not being paid and still finished above Bray . Club went into liquidation the following season and was a basket case as you well know

wonder88
23/10/2023, 8:16 PM
How different will it be this time going full-time for Limerick? The season they came up and played in Thomand Park had plenty of investment(money) behind them and yet there was little return to show for all that spending. By the way did Limerick play in Thomand Park for 2 years? I went down for a couple games during that time and its a very nice ground, maybe it could be used for the playoff if Waterford qualify.
p.s. having been at the game in Belfield yesterday, I should also point out that Cork can still catch Sligo.

NeverFeltBetter
24/10/2023, 7:33 AM
Yeah, 2013 and 2014, then back to Jackman for a bit, then onto the Market's Field. Interesting times. They got their highest league placing during that time, 6th (of 12), but that was all. Guess it depends on how money is spent.

I doubt they'd allow Thomond to be used for a one-off football game of that level.

nigel-harps1954
24/10/2023, 12:41 PM
Safe to say the Thomond experiment didn't work either, with an average attendance of 1,649 in 2013, and 757 in 2014. Peaked at 3,758 for their opening Thomond Park game, but dropped like a stone fairly quickly and only got above 1,000 twice in 2014.

Always looked very poor in a 25k capacity ground too.

2 Year Contract
24/10/2023, 1:28 PM
I see the Kerry CEO has been on the Between the Stripes podcast to be released tomorrow morning saying that they’re going part-time next year with full-time being the goal down the road. With Kerry and Treaty going part-time I’m pretty sure that means there’d be no amateur sides in the division? Good to see if so

pineapple stu
24/10/2023, 1:36 PM
UCD might be (although PFAI rules would count the scholarship as payment of course)

2 Year Contract
24/10/2023, 1:47 PM
UCD might be (although PFAI rules would count the scholarship as payment of course)

Do you mean they might be going back to the scholarship only model? As in, no more ‘outsiders’ like Tommy Lonergan etc that weren’t attending the college (and presumably being paid a nominal wage)?

pineapple stu
24/10/2023, 1:54 PM
There may be the odd player from Rovers B or something like that I guess, but in the First Division, nominal wages for outsiders will be hard to justify I'd say.

NeverFeltBetter
24/10/2023, 1:59 PM
Safe to say the Thomond experiment didn't work either, with an average attendance of 1,649 in 2013, and 757 in 2014. Peaked at 3,758 for their opening Thomond Park game, but dropped like a stone fairly quickly and only got above 1,000 twice in 2014.

Always looked very poor in a 25k capacity ground too.

Absolutely, it looked awful at times, and security were a pain in the arse. Jackman, for all of its any faults, was a better home for the club relative to its size at the time, but then there were licensing concerns, and POS wanted the news story that renting Thomond was, and I bet was dreaming of hosting Euro games there down the line too.

EalingGreen
24/10/2023, 3:33 PM
Interesting tidbit from LOI Central I heard today that investors seem to contact the FAI first in regards to investing in clubs and are steered in whatever direction the FAI considers best,not sure if that’s how the Treaty investment came about but still an interesting part of the new investment that’s currently entering the league….Seems a bit strange to me, in two respects.

First, if would-be investors cannot do their own initial homework in identifying a suitable club to take over, then what does that say about their knowledge and ability to run the club after they've acquired it?

And second, the interests of the LOI may not exactly coincide with those of new owners. For example, the LOI may want to steer them towards a club which is struggling, as opposed to another club which has better prospects overall. Or they might want to bolster a club in a part of the country which is otherwise under-represented, rather than one in an area, or Dublin, which already has LOI clubs. Or they might even end up being influenced be someone in the LOI who has a personal preference towards (or against) a given club.

Budgie
24/10/2023, 4:59 PM
Absolutely agree ..TP a big white elephant for loi soccer

Longfordian
24/10/2023, 5:15 PM
The FAI, or some employed officials thereof, were actively involved and providing support to Roddy and his developer buddies when they wanted to buy us back in 2008 I think it was. Thank Christ the club weren't stupid enough to do that deal.

culloty82
25/10/2023, 6:22 PM
With this having effectively become a de facto club ownership thread, Brian Ainscough hadn't anything dramatic to say on Between the Stripes other than the part-time move for 2024 - happy with the commercial support during the season, and that the financial position is sustainable, hoping to attract more fans from the rest of the county in 2024 (which will obviously require consistently improved results from the squad), will likely see more American and possibly UK players in the squad while still focusing on the local core, limited in what improvements can be made to Mounthawk Park but will discuss same with the KDL.

cláirseach
26/10/2023, 4:28 PM
Do they have a mid/long term stadium plan at all?

culloty82
26/10/2023, 5:50 PM
A 25-year lease was signed with the KDL in the spring, so they can discuss refurbishments together over the close season, but capacity won't be a worry unless/until form consistently improves, and being in a residential area, development will necessarily be incremental in nature.