PDA

View Full Version : What next?

Fair_play_boy
26/08/2005, 12:53 AM
What happens next? The following has been researched by my 13 year old. Any errors and omissions, I will pass them on to him.
Next step . . .
As I understand it, City have one more knockout game to play over two legs before we enter the group stage of the UEFA Cup. We will know tomorrow who this club is when the draw is made in Monaco. I hope that we draw someone close to home in Scotland or England, so that we know the opposition.
Then . . .
IF we get past the next opposition we are one of 40 clubs in eight groups of five with two matches at home and two matches away for each club. We could be drawn against the likes of Malmo, Middlesborough, one of the Bucharest teams, Everton, Deportivo La Coruna, Bolton, or Hibs. Three clubs qualify from each group. These 24 clubs are joined by the eight clubs which finish in third place in each of the groups in the Champions League.
Last . . .
These 32 clubs play on a knockout basis, playing two matches against each other, i.e. a home and away leg.
When two teams are left . . . . .
Ah, but writing this last bit might put a jinx on us ;)

patsh
26/08/2005, 6:49 AM
What happens next is that we make sure we beat Finn Harps twice next week, and keep up our attempts to win the Cup and/or the League! ;)

Fair_play_boy
26/08/2005, 2:23 PM
Oops. :eek:
Forgot all about the home situation after my gallon last night :D

radar
27/08/2005, 1:55 AM
Oops. :eek:
Forgot all about the home situation after my gallon last night :D

Oscar Wilde wrote " We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars". Have only been following City for the last four years (on my son's insistence) and can only imagine how it feels for those of you or those who dont post here who have going week in week out for the last 21. The passion that exists within the ground is absolutely moving. The Shed has been vocal but the amazing thing over the last couple of weeks for me has been the explosion of passion from the other areas of the ground. The uncorking of Cork, if you like. I am 34 but i met a good friend of my dads leaving Turners Cross last Thursday and there were tears in his eyes. I am not ashamed to say there were tears in my eyes also after talking to him. He has been there every week bar bad health but said he had never seen anything like Thursday. So dont worry Fair Play Boy its okay to forget about the home situation for a time. For any City fan Thursday night was moving and worry about Monday come Monday. Lets gaze at the stars awhile. Respect.