PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Radio Airplay Classics

CollegeTillIDie
25/08/2005, 11:32 PM
Now I am going to kick things off with some songs which were staples of the Playlists of the main Irish Pirate radio stations of the early 1980's. Feel free to share your memories. What I am looking for here for example is songs that were played to death but never made the charts.

Here's a few examples:
Bolland.... In The Army Now
Masquerade... Guardian Angel
Michael Franks.... When Sly Calls

Album tracks are also acceptable . The key is that these versions of the songs never made a Top 40 in Ireland , Britain or possibly only in the USA.

CollegeTillIDie
27/08/2005, 8:24 AM
some more
Love You Like I Never Loved Before.... John O'Bannion
Soldier Boys... The Pop Mechanics
The Man ..... Paul McCartney/ Michael Jackson

Partizan
28/08/2005, 10:28 AM
Grew up in the early 80s when Pirate Radio ruled the airways and to me an absolutley magical time for radio, or maybe I'm just been nostalgic.

In Waterford we had two pirate stations, ABC Radio that played non-stop contemporary music with some class DJ's and Radio Portlairge which was a forerunner of today's WLR. In 1987 ABC went off the air and WLR went legit and thus became part of the establishment. If I recall the pirates were very anti-establishment due to the very nature of their existence (illegality and radical political views that unruffled a few feathers) and their censure by the government was an attempt to row in my opinion true freedom of speech.

However in the late 90s we had a revival of the pirates with ABC Power 104 that was a mere shadow of its former self and Quayside that played all 70s & 80s rock classics that incidentally enough contained two DJ's form the old ABC Radio.

Well enough of my rant but if you ask me what were the staple playlists of the pirates, well I cant say but this very post has brought back alot of memories. :p

Cheers College.

Partizan
28/08/2005, 10:31 AM
Now look what you just made me do. I'm cranking out the REO Speedwagon, Journey, Rush, Whitesnake and Def Leppard tunes.

CollegeTillIDie
28/08/2005, 2:56 PM
Now look what you just made me do. I'm cranking out the REO Speedwagon, Journey, Rush, Whitesnake and Def Leppard tunes.
IN the words of Paul Mc Cartney" and what's wrong with that ?... I'd like to know "

CollegeTillIDie
28/08/2005, 5:11 PM
Partizan

Just remembered a few more
Foolin ... Def Leppard
My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone)...... Chilliwack
Take Off... Bob and Doug Mackenzie ( featuring Geddy Lee)
Parade..... White And Torch

CollegeTillIDie
28/08/2005, 5:18 PM
Grew up in the early 80s when Pirate Radio ruled the airways and to me an absolutley magical time for radio, or maybe I'm just been nostalgic.

In Waterford we had two pirate stations, ABC Radio that played non-stop contemporary music with some class DJ's and Radio Portlairge which was a forerunner of today's WLR. In 1987 ABC went off the air and WLR went legit and thus became part of the establishment. If I recall the pirates were very anti-establishment due to the very nature of their existence (illegality and radical political views that unruffled a few feathers) and their censure by the government was an attempt to row in my opinion true freedom of speech.

However in the late 90s we had a revival of the pirates with ABC Power 104 that was a mere shadow of its former self and Quayside that played all 70s & 80s rock classics that incidentally enough contained two DJ's form the old ABC Radio.

Well enough of my rant but if you ask me what were the staple playlists of the pirates, well I cant say but this very post has brought back alot of memories. :p

Cheers College.

Rolled Gold by Roddy Cleere on a Sunday plays a lot of that stuff on WLRFM.
Usually listen to that on a Sunday on the way home from a visit to Blaaville. :D