PDA

View Full Version : UEFA cup 1st round draw

eirebhoy
25/08/2005, 9:16 PM
The draw is at 12.00 tomorrow. Here is the list of seeded teams, one of which Cork will be drawn against:

CSKA Moscow
AS Roma
Bayer Leverkusen
Feyenoord
VfB Stuttgart
AJ Auxerre
Galatasaray
AEK Athens
Hertha Berlin
Besiktas
AZ Alkmaar
Seville
Marseille
PAOK Thessaloniki
Slavia Prague
Monaco
FC Basel
Wisla Kraków
Middlesbrough
Sporting Lisbon
Partizan
Espanyol
Lens
Shakhtar Donetsk
Austria Vienna
Heerenveen
Graz AK
CA Osasuna
Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
Hamburg
Red Star Belgrade
Everton
Bolton Wanderers
Sampdoria
Palermo
Steaua Bucuresti
Brøndby IF
Racing Genk
Maccabi Tel-Aviv
Grasshopper-Club Zürich

Baker
25/08/2005, 9:20 PM
A lot of household names in there! :eek:

Rebal Boy
25/08/2005, 9:27 PM
I can't wait or the draw. I don't care who we get, but I must say I'd love to get a Premiership team. COME ON CITY!!! :D :D

thejollyrodger
25/08/2005, 9:49 PM
i hope ccfc can get a weaker team and even qualify for the group stages of the UEFA Cup. It would be some achievement.. the big money spinner from a big club is good in the short term but if cork have real ambitions they should be really hoping for one of the poorer teams.

i only know a few teams but the following might be ok

Steaua Bucuresti
FC Basel?

RonnieB
25/08/2005, 9:56 PM
Hamburg would be an ok draw, they arent a great team anymore/were. Their defence from what I see and hear lately isnt great. Not very many happy campers in the team either.

coislaoi
25/08/2005, 10:08 PM
i hope ccfc can get a weaker team and even qualify for the group stages of the UEFA Cup. It would be some achievement.. the big money spinner from a big club is good in the short term but if cork have real ambitions they should be really hoping for one of the poorer teams.

i only know a few teams but the following might be ok

Steaua Bucuresti
FC Basel?
I understand what you are saying but our priority this year has to be league. As you know we want it very badly!!

Tbh I'd love us to progress but I don't want anything distracting from the no. 1 aim.

Btw thanks for your good wishes on the other thread. ;)

dfx-
25/08/2005, 10:10 PM
The above average teams are the ones to avoid..less money than a big team, but probably the same end result..

Auxerre, Seville, AZ Alkmaar, Shakhtar Donetsk, Sampdoria....

None of those type please.... :cool:

CollegeTillIDie
25/08/2005, 10:13 PM
Jeez much rather play PAOK than FC BASEL or maybe even the Tel aviv !team !

FC Basel have started their Toblerone :p League campaign fairly poorly this season.

eirebhoy
25/08/2005, 10:28 PM
Hamburg would be an ok draw, they arent a great team anymore/were. Their defence from what I see and hear lately isnt great. Not very many happy campers in the team either.
They knocked Hamburg out of the Intertoto:
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/IntertotoCup/FixturesResults/Round=2188/Match=81576/Report=LU.html

Surely there's worse than Hamburg.

Looking down the list I'd fancy Cork's chances against:

AEK Athens - they lost all of their group games in the UEFA cup last season including a 2-0 defeat to German 2nd division team Aachan at home and a 5-1 defeat to Zenit.
Basel - They aren't the force they used to be. If last seasons Hearts team can do it...
Wisla Krakow - I'd say they're on par with SPL teams minus to old firm so Cork would have a good chance. Krakow is the team Zurawski went to Celtic from.
Partizan - If Artmedia can do it, so can Cork.
Steaua - We all seen Steaua and I think Cork would have a chance.
Brondby - The Danish league wouldn't be much better than the Swedish and Brondby were knocked out by Latvian opposition last season.
Genk - Bohs were beaten by Gent 3-2 on aggregate. Gent are better than Genk and Cork or better than Bohs. They could cause an upset I suppose.
Grasshoppers - They're weaker than most, if not all of the teams named above.

Cork would be the underdog against all of those clubs obviously but they could easily cause an upset.

Partizan
25/08/2005, 10:31 PM
If Cork are to qualify for the group stages they will hope to get the likes of Steuea, Basel, Krakow or even Red Star Belgarde who are not the mighty team they once were, although if they get Partizan, I may very well be tempted to the X. :D

dcfcsteve
25/08/2005, 10:35 PM
Some tough teams in there alright.

I'd say Grasshoppers or Heerenveen would be the easiest in there. Heerenveen would be a fun trip - they're the 'national' team of Friesland in Holland (where the cows come from...).

Tel Aviv could possibly be beatable, but the away game would be tough.

Middlesborough would be a nice draw for the profile of the league. Wouldn't be impossible to sneak a result against them in one or other leg either.

Basel would be far from an easy draw !

Shame Dundee United got knocked out tonight - they'd have been a nice draw.

Slash/ED
25/08/2005, 11:03 PM
Having seen them over two legs, Cork could take Steuau. They pass the ball alot better than we did and retain possession, they could hurt Steaua and Steaua never carved us open without our help for all their good play in either leg.

eirebhoy
25/08/2005, 11:33 PM
Some tough teams in there alright.

I'd say Grasshoppers or Heerenveen would be the easiest in there. Heerenveen would be a fun trip - they're the 'national' team of Friesland in Holland (where the cows come from...).

Tel Aviv could possibly be beatable, but the away game would be tough.

Middlesborough would be a nice draw for the profile of the league. Wouldn't be impossible to sneak a result against them in one or other leg either.

Basel would be far from an easy draw !

Shame Dundee United got knocked out tonight - they'd have been a nice draw.
There's no easy draw. Out of the possible teams Cork can draw, Basel would be one of the weakest. Heerenveen are a lot better than Basel. Dundee Utd wouldn't have been seeded.

Frankfurt Hoop
26/08/2005, 12:36 AM
A great job by Cork tonight. Quite an achievement, and they shouldn't have too many fears looking forward to the next round. There's a few teams on the seeded side they could fancy their chances against, and Rico always believes in giving it socks.

Here's hoping they get a good draw tomorrow and improve on their home form in the next round.

sullanefc
26/08/2005, 12:52 AM
There is not a lot of teams in there that I would be confident that cork would beat. I think I'd much prefer to get a well known team (Premiership of Italian) where we could give a good account of ourselves. I feel if we got a lesser know team and went out, it would not look good but to go out to a better known team would be a way of exiting the comp with our heads held high.

CollegeTillIDie
26/08/2005, 7:22 AM
If Cork are to qualify for the group stages they will hope to get the likes of Steuea, Basel, Krakow or even Red Star Belgarde who are not the mighty team they once were, although if they get Partizan, I may very well be tempted to the X. :D
Would you not go to the away leg with Partizan as well? ...... call yourself a fan! :D

Partizan
26/08/2005, 8:23 AM
Would you not go to the away leg with Partizan as well? ...... call yourself a fan! :D

I'm kinda broke at the moment but as soon as I get my back pay from the tax man & the social, I'm off on the first flight to Belgrade. So here's hoping that the Grobari role into town come September.

ZIVELJA PARTIZAN, MNOGO CMO JAKI :p

sullanefc
26/08/2005, 9:03 AM
Group 1:
Seeded
AJ Auxerre (FRA)
PAOK FC (GRE)
SK Slavia Praha (CZE)
Hamburger SV (GER)
Everton FC (ENG)

Unseeded
PFC Levski Sofia (BUL)
FC København (DEN)
FC Dinamo Bucuresti (ROU)
FC Metalurh Donetsk (UKR)
Cork City FC (IRL)

from uefa.com

And as posted by Danny in the Cork City Forum.

Poor Student
26/08/2005, 9:31 AM

Hamburg would probably be too strong for Cork. I watched the Inter Toto final and they knocked out Valencia and looked quite solid. They have an in form Rafael Van Der Vaart.

LFC in Exile
26/08/2005, 11:00 AM
In fairness there isn't a handy draw among them. I was thinking they should hope for an easier draw than a big club but looking at the list the best bet is a money spinning draw. Make a few quid. :ball:

TheOwl
26/08/2005, 11:02 AM
In fairness there isn't a handy draw among them. I was thinking they should hope for an easier draw than a big club but looking at the list the best bet is a money spinning draw. Make a few quid. :ball:

Auxerre lost 7-0 last weekend, it might be a good time to play them.

Dyl10
26/08/2005, 11:04 AM
what time is the draw at?

tiktok
26/08/2005, 11:05 AM
what time is the draw at?

Starting now.

Baker
26/08/2005, 11:09 AM
Slavia Prague!

Dotsy
26/08/2005, 11:09 AM
It's Slavia Prague

Rory H
26/08/2005, 11:10 AM
home or away first???

Baker
26/08/2005, 11:10 AM
First leg away it seems

Schumi
26/08/2005, 12:59 PM
Hamburg... have an in form Rafael Van Der Vaart.I didn't know he'd gone there, all the teenage girls in the ArenA must be devestated! :D

CuanaD
26/08/2005, 1:59 PM
According to http://www.eurofootsie.com/index.php
Slavia Praha are ranked 140th in europe
Cork are 408th!
But Djurgardenwere 169 & they were beaten so . . .

CuanaD
26/08/2005, 2:09 PM
& here are their results in Europe for the last 5 seasons:

Slavia Prague 2004/05 UC Q2: Dynamo Tbilisi (GEO), 3-1 & 0-2*

2003/04 UCL Q2: Leotar Trebinje (BIH), 2-1* & 2-0
Q3: Celta Vigo (ESP), 0-3* & 2-0
UC R1: Sartid Smederevo (SCG), 2-1* & 2-1
R2: Levski Sofia (BUL), 2-2 & 0-0*

2002/03 UC R1: Excelsior Mouscron (BEL), 2-2* & 5-1
R2: Partizan Belgrade (SCG), 1-3* & 5-1/aet
R3: PAOK Thessaloniki (GRE), 0-1* & 4-0
R4: Besiktas Istanbul (TUR), 1-0 & 2-4*