PDA

View Full Version : Foot.ie

Shelsman
12/04/2002, 9:32 AM
Are you City in disguise?

I get the impression that at least 80% of the users who log on here are Cork City fans. There seems to be very little activity from some of the other clubs -does this site have a link on the home pages of all the other clubs?

Colm
12/04/2002, 7:03 PM
Ok, Im a city fan and you are probabley right that most of this sites users are city fans. What you and others should do is tell supporters of your own respective clubs about the site, that would be one of the best ways of getting more activity on the non-CCFC forums.

Troy.McClure
12/04/2002, 9:28 PM
Im planning an attack on ShelsWeb when the new season starts again. Im sure Candy Stripe would be a good addition to these message boards, but I get the impression that I would be told to go where the sun dont shine from some of the Shels fans, who intern would possibly be told to go there as well by Eanna if they did come on this site :eek:

James
12/04/2002, 9:32 PM
nice one troy.. u spread the word to the others and i'll put a ****ing muzzel on that buckley kid.. sweet :)

dahamsta
12/04/2002, 10:00 PM
Are you City in disguise? I get the impression that at least 80% of the users who log on here are Cork City fans. There seems to be very little activity from some of the other clubs

Foot.ie was born out of the ashes of corkcityfc.com, because myself and Joe wanted to provide a resource for the community when City pulled out of our contract. Most of the City fans followed us, so the City board is naturally the most popular one.

does this site have a link on the home pages of all the other clubs?

Foot.ie isn't tied to any clubs or businesses, and it's a non-commercial operation, so it's really up to the clubs and webmasters to create links to Foot.ie if they wish. All (Irish) soccer webmasters are welcome to use a Foot.ie board for their site, and we'll even install them as a moderator if their site is a long-standing one. Private or community forums are also available on request, as long as they're on topic.

And of course if anyone wants to contribute towards the running of Foot.ie, that will be most welcome too. The domain name is up for renewal at the moment as it happens. Anyone with a ton-fifty to spare? :)

adam

Shelsman
13/04/2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Im planning an attack on ShelsWeb when the new season starts again. Im sure Candy Stripe would be a good addition to these message boards, but I get the impression that I would be told to go where the sun dont shine from some of the Shels fans, who intern would possibly be told to go there as well by Eanna if they did come on this site :eek:

If Eanna did that, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of the site? If that's the case why not rename it to CorkCity whatever. Pity though as it's good to have a site for all the different supporters of different clubs.

Jim Smith
13/04/2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Shelsman

If Eanna did that, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of the site? If that's the case why not rename it to CorkCity whatever. Pity though as it's good to have a site for all the different supporters of different clubs. I doubt very much that anyone would be allowed to indulge in unwarented abuse without getting banned. That is the beauty of needing to log in and having moderators (thanks guys). It keeps things civilised which is why I'll discuss things here rather than elsewhere.

Troy.McClure
13/04/2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Jim Smith
I doubt very much that anyone would be allowed to indulge in unwarented abuse without getting banned. That is the beauty of needing to log in and having moderators (thanks guys). It keeps things civilised which is why I'll discuss things here rather than elsewhere.

Well that didnt stop Gerry getting so much hassle that he left the site.

dahamsta
13/04/2002, 1:43 PM
Well that didnt stop Gerry getting so much hassle that he left the site.

Jeez, talk about digging up the past Troy!

We don't offer perfection on Foot.ie, we just offer the best we can. It's arguable, but Gerry and James got into a flame war, and they got booted. James asked to come back, and he did (and calmed down a little). Gerry didn't really want to come back, although as far as I know he stills browses the threads every now and then. I don't know if there is still animosity there, but Gerry's welcome back here any time he wants -- all he has to do is ask. I've made this clear to Joe.

I know all this cos I banned them. I can do this because I run the site -- I paid for the domain name out of my own pocket, and I pay the bills on the servers that run DNS, mail and web service every month. I try to run the site as democratically as possible, but let's be honest - I'm a fascist lord and master, and I won't have dissent on the boards I run. For the most part, it works.

The Candy Stripes are welcome on this site, as are the fans of any Irish club, big or small. If the webmaster of an Irish soccer site wants to use a board on Foot.ie as their fans forum, they're welcome, and we'll even set them up as a mod if they want more control. It will be /their/ board, to handle as they see fit, as long as it fits in the grander scheme and doesn't break the rules. If it breaks the rules, one of the bosses will step in and take control.

Oh, and if Éanna - or any Boards.ie member for that matter - starts larting newcomers without good reason, he'll be banned. He knows this, which is why he won't do it.

That's pretty fair, isn't it?

adam

dahamsta
13/04/2002, 1:50 PM
If Eanna did that, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of the site?

Yes. Which is why Éanna won't do it.

If that's the case why not rename it to CorkCity whatever.

And what about our dear Lonford Town Division. Wouldn't they be a mite weed off if we made this a City site? (Don't worry Longford, we're here for you!) And what about the people who want to talk about the Eircom League in general, or the World Cup, should we dilute the excellent Cork City baord with all that guff (or what they might consider guff)?

Pity though as it's good to have a site for all the different supporters of different clubs.

Which is exactly the intention Shelsman. We built it, they will come. :)

adam

Éanna
13/04/2002, 2:16 PM
Cool, apparently I'm a monster now:D I'm never gonna get into personal abuse with anyone on this board- i made one or two stupid comments (actually lots more:o ) on other sites andgot a deserved rap on the knuckles. I have MANY problems with shels and their 2 fans, but I don't have a problem with any of them coming on here- 1. because it's not up to me and 2, because I love a bit of argy-bargy! Come on shels! Come and have a go.............;)

Colm
13/04/2002, 4:16 PM
If we want to get more members from other clubs its up to us to flood the guestbooks and message boards of other clubs letting them know about Foot.ie. I'll get started on that right away and I hope a few more of you will follow suit.

Shelsman
15/04/2002, 5:00 PM
Good idea -why else would I be writing in the Bohs thread !

clarke
16/04/2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari

Foot.ie was born out of the ashes of corkcityfc.com, because myself and Joe wanted to provide a resource for the community when City pulled out of our contract. Most of the City fans followed us, so the City board is naturally the most popular one.

I paid for the domain name out of my own pocket, and I pay the bills on the servers that run DNS, mail and web service every month. I try to run the site as democratically as possible

Vetenari - The site is a credit to you and the others involved - Its professional, slick and very well organised - one of the best bulletin boards I've come across on the net - Keep up the good work.
Is there anyway that can contribute (financially) to the upkeep?

clarke

Troy.McClure
17/04/2002, 11:06 AM
RE: Digging up the past

I just put that in as an example of how things could go. I fully support your actions with regard to what happened there, but what I was saying is that stuff like that can happen.

Troy.McClure
17/04/2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Cool, apparently I'm a monster now:D ... i made one or two stupid comments (actually lots more:o )

LOL :D

dahamsta
17/04/2002, 3:44 PM
Vetenari - The site is a credit to you and the others involved - Its professional, slick and very well organised - one of the best bulletin boards I've come across on the net - Keep up the good work. Is there anyway that can contribute (financially) to the upkeep?

I might add a PayPal Donate button at some time in the future, to go towards a Foot.ie drinking fund. In the meantime, the best I can do is point you to my Amazon wish list (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/wishlist/2PMPW4MFHE3OH).

Thanks for your compliments, they're very encouraging.

adam

dahamsta
17/04/2002, 3:47 PM
I just put that in as an example of how things could go. I fully support your actions with regard to what happened there, but what I was saying is that stuff like that can happen.

Oh absolutely, but such is life -- c'est la vie, n'est ve pas? We have problems, we sort them, we move on.

Let me put it this way: If new Foot.ie users are getting grief from the hardcore, the harcore will get a good kicking from me. Fairy Nuff?

adam

pete
17/04/2002, 6:09 PM
I might add a PayPal Donate button at some time in the future, to go towards a Foot.ie drinking fund. In the meantime, the best I can do is point you to my Amazon wish list (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/wishlist/2PMPW4MFHE3OH).

An eclectic (spelling???) there. No obvious connections.....

;)

dahamsta
17/04/2002, 7:17 PM
I'm weird and wonderful, me. You should have seen it last week though. I went on a shopping spree last week and treated myself to a load of stuff.

I've been wondering how long it will take before someone starts calling me a girl for wanting Nelly Furtado. (The CD -- there's nothing at all shameful about wanting Nelly herself.)

adam

Troy.McClure
19/04/2002, 11:11 AM
there's nothing at all shameful about wanting Nelly herself.

As Duff Man says, ..000000000hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ya! :D

dahamsta
31/05/2002, 6:24 PM
Much to my delight, I received Nelly in the post today[1] from a generous Foot.ie patron who shall remain nameless[2]. I'm right chuffed about it, it really put a sparkle on the weekend; so thank you, it's very much appreciated. It's a bloody good album by the way. If you're into that sort of thing[3]. :)

It's kind of ironic really, because I added a PayPal Donate button while I was farting about with the site last night[4], but I decided to leave it hidden at the last minute[5]. Maybe I'll unhide it over the weekend and I'll be rich next week, RICH I TELL YA! :)

adam

[1] Well, not actually Nelly, her album. But if anyone wants to donate Nelly herself, please get in touch. Please?
[2] For their benefit. They're of course welcome to fess up if they wish.
[3] Which I am.
[4] See the source.
[5] I just put this one here to annoy you.

Risteard
20/03/2007, 11:10 AM
Ah, was it Whoa Nelly?
She's my weakness, that woman.

GavinZac
20/03/2007, 11:21 AM
Ah, was it Whoa Nelly?
She's my weakness, that woman.

nice bump - Eanna's a monster, Eanna Out! :D

Risteard
20/03/2007, 11:26 AM
Of Foot.ie