Derry v Shamrock Rovers 19:45

Saturday 16th

Sligo v UCD 19:45

First Division

Friday 15th (all 19:45)

Waterford v Cobh
Athlone v Kerry
Bray v Treaty

Edit: I've added these in as apparantly this compeitition is still going.
(Tx to NR637)

SPORTS DIRECT

FAI CUP (Quarter Finals)

Friday 15th September

Galway v Dundalk @ 19.45
Drogheda v Bohemians @ 19.45
Cork City v Wexford @19.45
Finn Harps v St. Pats @ 20.00

sbgawa
13/09/2023, 12:46 PM
Two huge games in the Premier Division.
Rovers could go 7 clear with a win with only 6 matches to play or Derry could close the gap to 1 point.....
Id take a draw now to try to keep Derry at bay if i could but hopefully we can go and win when we need it.
I assume with Trevor Clarke and Neil Farrugia another week fitter they will play a bigger part if needed...no news on jack.

Sligo who appear to have sold players on the basis they are safe from relegation desperatley need the points agaisnt UCD or that gamble could be about to spectacularly backfire.

joey B
13/09/2023, 12:51 PM
The poor oul FAI Cup not even in sbgawa’s head anymore!!!:D

sbgawa
13/09/2023, 12:58 PM
The poor oul FAI Cup not even in sbgawa’s head anymore!!!:D

Is that still even going??
I've forgotten all about it like my Mullet back in the 80's ...its all blanked out

pineapple stu
13/09/2023, 1:18 PM
We'll be relegated this weekend if we don't win and Cork do. And still six more games to go...

And Galway will be promoted if they win or Waterford don't. Don't think those two have ever both been decided so early?

2 Year Contract
13/09/2023, 2:11 PM
We'll be relegated this weekend if we don't win and Cork do. And still six more games to go...

And Galway will be promoted if they win or Waterford don't. Don't think those two have ever both been decided so early?

Not sure of the exact split in terms of how many games were left at the time of winning the title but Limerick won 2016's 28 game First Division season by a 23 point margin. The amount of unnecessary money squandered on that squad was remarkable from what I can remember

WoodquayBoy
13/09/2023, 3:04 PM
We have the little matter of a cup quarter-final this weekend so we won’t be winning the league until the following weekend at the earliest.

sbgawa
13/09/2023, 3:59 PM

Do you see UCD bouncing back Stu? It seems you are way off the PD pace but maybe not so far off the FD.
UCD seem to have results or performances in them this season, Bohs and PAts at home plus beating Cork so there is something there but seem very brittle also at times.

pineapple stu
13/09/2023, 4:09 PM
I'd be disappointed if we weren't in the playoffs next season tbh. And probably we need a couple of years to regroup. If nothing else, you look at crowds going up across the league, and it's hard to follow suit when you're being outplayed every week. A couple of seasons of playoff disappointment would be a nice change!

Though in a way that's how we've been the last few years anyway. 2020 and 2021 we were solid but not challenging right at the top (despite somehow winning promotion in 2021). 2022 we had an exceptional second half to the season, but then lost too many players (Duffy, Todd and Lonergan the main ones; ironically we did better once Whelan and Kerrigan left in the summer)

There's a strange divide now between the haves and the have-notes lately; not sure what's going to happen to change that in the coming years.

culloty82
13/09/2023, 6:49 PM
We have the little matter of a cup quarter-final this weekend so we won’t be winning the league until the following weekend at the earliest.

Tickets for which have just gone on sale today on the Kerry website - for home fans, admittedly, but given recent attendance figures, can't imagine segregation will be that vigorously enforced!

El-Pietro
13/09/2023, 6:51 PM

We're playing Wexford in the cup. You are safe for another week.

Shearer
13/09/2023, 7:54 PM
Treaty and Bray both aiming to keep very very slim hopes alive.

I just want us to avoid the 9th to be honest.

nr637
14/09/2023, 9:47 AM
SPORTS DIRECT

FAI CUP (Quarter Finals)

Friday 15th September

Galway v Dundalk @ 19.45
Drogheda v Bohemians @ 19.45
Cork City v Wexford @19.45
Finn Harps v St. Pats @ 20.00

joey B
15/09/2023, 1:53 PM
Feels a very low key build up to Derry/Rovers tonight……

listowelceltic
15/09/2023, 2:34 PM
Virgin media giving it plenty of coverage last few days.

ger121
15/09/2023, 3:13 PM
Must win game for Derry. Rovers to savvy and experienced to slip up with a 4 point cushion and 6 matches to go. Never mind a 7 point lead.

yurt
15/09/2023, 3:16 PM
Do all cup games go to extra time and penalties these days instead of a replay?

D24Saint
15/09/2023, 4:17 PM
Do all cup games go to extra time and penalties these days instead of a replay?

I thought at this stage it’s replays ?

ontheotherhand
15/09/2023, 4:24 PM
Virgin media giving it plenty of coverage last few days.

They have been great. Proper promotion, decent commentary (relatively speaking) and the matchday coverage is very good. Simple things like drone shots of the stadiums and atmosphere that RTE have never been arsed doing make a huge difference.

Bunny Kelly
15/09/2023, 4:52 PM
Any games in doubt with the weather?

TonyD
15/09/2023, 6:10 PM
I thought at this stage it’s replays ?

Not unless they’ve changed since the last round ( and can’t think why they would.) We put Derry out on pens.

legendz
15/09/2023, 7:21 PM
Cracking goal by Leo Gaxha to equalise for Kerry, after Athlone took an early lead.

culloty82
15/09/2023, 8:04 PM
Cobh take the lead at the RSC, which, if a final result, would leave Galway one point away from mathematically securing promotion - 0-2 now!

Calcio Jack
15/09/2023, 8:45 PM
Fair result …. And well deserved by Rovers as we found that bit of magic when needed… with Clarke and Farrugia now ready to play 90 mins and hopefully Jack B back next week now ours to lose …. Will be interesting to see if Derry now fall away

Shearer
15/09/2023, 9:56 PM
Don't know where to begin on the Treaty game. Should have won but could have ended 4-4.

Roll on next year.

trevy
16/09/2023, 5:04 AM
Another poor result for Waterford against potential play off opponents on a miserable wet night at the RSC. Cresswell missed 2 great chances in the first half and we paid the price in 2nd half. Cobh goals were from a penalty and deflected shot.

Shearer
16/09/2023, 6:51 AM
Not making excuses for Waterford but they've been in this awful purgatory-like position with ages - too far away from both 1st and 3rd to have anything worth playing for.

Going to be hard for them to just turn it for 4 games in the playoffs. They're not helped by having a team of mercenaries too.

trevy
16/09/2023, 7:15 AM
I agree. We've known for ages we'd be 2nd so not much to play for and that's affecting fans and players.
We had 3 local starters who came through the club's underage system and another few who came off the bench.
Aren't most successful club football teams full of mercenaries as you call them?

Comic Book Guy
16/09/2023, 8:21 AM
I agree. We've known for ages we'd be 2nd so not much to play for and that's affecting fans and players.
We had 3 local starters who came through the club's underage system and another few who came off the bench.
Aren't most successful club football teams full of mercenaries as you call them?

Delighted with the win at a place where we tend not to do well, you had two good chances first half but funnily enough when we went ahead I figured that we'd be ok.
As to how the first division team will do against the Premier Division team will be very interesting.
Momentum is everything, I'm just enjoying this season after the horror show last year.

Terry
16/09/2023, 9:27 AM
Delighted with the win at a place where we tend not to do well, you had two good chances first half but funnily enough when we went ahead I figured that we'd be ok.
As to how the first division team will do against the Premier Division team will be very interesting.
Momentum is everything, I'm just enjoying this season after the horror show last year.

Cobh are a tough team to break down this season. Would be an interesting playoff final with Cork.

D24Saint
16/09/2023, 10:02 AM
Not unless they’ve changed since the last round ( and can’t think why they would.) We put Derry out on pens.

The FAI are capable of anything tbh. The word on terrace was the rules changed at the QF stage.

2 Year Contract
16/09/2023, 10:45 AM
As good as Adam O'Reilly is off the ball and the energy he provides, his finishing is woeful. Really should’ve scored last night but his poor effort has swung 3 points in rovers direction in the title race. It reminded me of him missing 2 or 3 sitters against CSKA Sofia last year that would’ve seen Pats through to the Playoff round of the conference league

Onapointoforder
16/09/2023, 10:48 AM
As good as Adam O'Reilly is off the ball and the energy he provides, his finishing is woeful. Really should’ve scored last night but his poor effort has swung 3 points in rovers direction in the title race. It reminded me of him missing 2 or 3 sitters against CSKA Sofia last year that would’ve seen Pats through to the Playoff round of the conference league

Ah it’s so easy…

2 Year Contract
16/09/2023, 11:21 AM
Ah it’s so easy…
Glad we agree Mr.O'Reilly

joey B
16/09/2023, 12:26 PM
Some answer to give about a player in his squad!!!

Shearer
16/09/2023, 12:45 PM
I'm not saying that there's no local lads in the team, just feel that the vast majority of the squad are English flat track bullies who stat pad against the crap teams in the hope of getting a move back to England. I don't think they care about the collective.

Things like the playoff last year where the whole squad turned their back on Quitirna when he missed the penalty vs UCD I feel highlight that it's a team of individuals.

I have nothing against Waterford and wish they'd never been relegated, hopefully they get the job done this year.

Jack B
16/09/2023, 2:30 PM

He's a very good player at this level but I still thought he was a biiiit overrated by Pats fans last season. What he offers at his best is almost unmatched in this league but not even just finishing I think he's generally quite average technically and had a tendency to cause a bit dangerous moments for us on the ball.

joey B
16/09/2023, 7:10 PM
Poor oul Evan Osam had a nightmare for Sligo's goal there........

JC_GUFC
18/09/2023, 2:21 PM
The FAI are capable of anything tbh. The word on terrace was the rules changed at the QF stage.

A few years ago it was the case, as you say, that the Quarters and Semis went to replays. I was wondering the same myself but apparently this year there are no replays at all.