PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon Fined €1000

martyc
24/08/2005, 10:31 PM
Stuart Byrne (Shelbourne) suspended for THREE (3) competitive matches and fined €50 as a result of being sent off v Drogheda United (08.08.05). Automatic suspension in next eircom League match as per FIFA directive already served and TWO (2) competitive matches as and from Wednesday, 7th September.

Pat Fenlon (Manager, Shelbourne) suspended for FOUR (4) competitive matches, fined €1,000 and severely warned as to his future conduct as a result of being removed from the technical area by the referee v Drogheda United (08.08.05). For this four match suspension, Mr Fenlon is to remain at least 50 metres away from the dressing room, technical area and pitch for at least two hours before the matches as well as during the matches and for one hour after the matches

Shelbourne were fined €500 as a result of the fourth official being struck on the back of the head by a roll of masking tape v Drogheda United (08.08.05).

Shelbourne were fined €500 as a result of an encroachment on the pitch by spectators at the end of the match v Drogheda United (08.08.05).

The investigation into the incident involving Oliver Byrne, Secretary, Shelbourne at the Shelbourne v Drogheda United match (08.08.05) was deferred until the Disciplinary Commission meeting of Tuesday, 6th September when all witnesses relevant to the incident will be invited to attend.

A face
24/08/2005, 11:24 PM
All seems standard enough which is not great really ..... but the main thing is still pending ...... remember, they shouldn't be made an example of. They should just be punished accordingly and fittingly, The league needs to stamp this kinda thing out asap !!

Buller
24/08/2005, 11:51 PM
oh look!!! Yet again more chaos at tolka park... is ollie going 2 blame it on us again i wonder?! :mad: and another shels pitch invasion... :p

dcfcsteve
25/08/2005, 12:18 AM
All seems standard enough which is not great really ..... but the main thing is still pending ...... remember, they shouldn't be made an example of. They should just be punished accordingly and fittingly, The league needs to stamp this kinda thing out asap !!

E500 fines ??? What the feck ? May as well go all the way back to the early 1900's and fine them three and sixpence and a packet of ready rub each. Absolutely pathetic......

As for making an example of them - so just how do you suggest stopping this kind of behaviour once and for all if they're not made an example of then ? Name me any other club in the league who's players, manegement and backroom staff have so clearly and so repeatedly brought the game into disrepute in recent years ?? And yet they shouldn't be made an example of ?? I know - make it 2 packs of ready-rub instead each - that'll teach them..... :rolleyes:

kevin_devine
25/08/2005, 12:28 AM
E500 fines ??? What the feck ? May as well go all the way back to the early 1900's and fine them three and sixpence and a packet of ready rub each. Absolutely pathetic......

As for making an example of them - so just how do you suggest stopping this kind of behaviour once and for all if they're not made an example of then ? Name me any other club in the league who's players, manegement and backroom staff have so clearly and so repeatedly brought the game into disrepute in recent years ?? And yet they shouldn't be made an example of ?? I know - make it 2 packs of ready-rub instead each - that'll teach them..... :rolleyes:

its good to see them getting some sanctions though steve better than nothing, good for the FAI

A face
25/08/2005, 12:30 AM
Steve, i know what you're saying man .... and agree !! .... but ....
The amounts for fines has been thrashed out before ... what good for the goose is good for Kilkenny or Monaghan !! .... and being made example. It cant be inconsistent ... the whole issue caused so much trouble, everyone is looking on to see the result. Clubs need to realise this is what happens when you step out of line ... going over board wont help this at all. I think giving fines for ALL the incidents is the best way ... to single out each bit of disorder and punish that. Shels dont have a leg to stand on but the league cant be seen to be going over board either .... i'd love it if they did like !!

Slash/ED
25/08/2005, 12:35 AM
Do you people realise this is the EL, not the premiership? I wouldn't want to pay a f*ckin' 1,000 fine!

A face
25/08/2005, 12:39 AM
Do you people realise this is the EL, not the premiership? I wouldn't want to pay a f*ckin' 1,000 fine!

Small change Slash .... in fairness .... thank your lucky stars for Kilkenny and Monaghan !! :eek: ;)

dcfcsteve
25/08/2005, 12:45 AM
its good to see them getting some sanctions though steve better than nothing, good for the FAI

Totally disagree. The theory that any fine is a good fine is completely flawed. Issung fines sends out a signal about the appropriateness of the action concerned - such that when a fine is of a derisory level, it openly states that the incident is not seen as serious. It's like UEFA/FIFA fining a few thousand yo-yo's for large-scale rascist behaviour from clubs fans. It sends out a message regarding the seriousness of the action - and in cases of low fines, it suggest it's really not serious at all.

They must be having sleepless nights round Drumcondra way working out how to meet those hefty fines...... :rolleyes:

A face
25/08/2005, 12:53 AM
They must be having sleepless nights round Drumcondra way working out how to meet those hefty fines...... :rolleyes:

Lets hope so anyway !! :p

Steve, you cant do one thing (give them a fine of €100,000.00) and then next week of Pat Scully loses the rag, give another fine (€100.00) .... its just not possible.

Frankfurt Hoop
25/08/2005, 12:54 AM
I reckon the fines and bans are appropriate. The question is, will they be enforced?

The matter of Ireland's No.1 Hooligan should be the same as it would be in any other European country, a 1-3 year stadium ban, barring him from every football match and making him sign on in his local Garda station at kick-of time for every senior game at which he might cause trouble.

If the only criminal in Irish football gets let off with anything less that, then September 6th will be a day of shame.

Slash/ED
25/08/2005, 1:06 AM
Small change Slash .... in fairness .... thank your lucky stars for Kilkenny and Monaghan !! :eek: ;)

Small change? Jaysus things must be going well down in Cork if 1,000 is small change :D

But yeah, imagine what 1,000 would mean to one of their managers, and it has to be the same punishment across the board.

dcfcsteve
25/08/2005, 1:06 AM
Lets hope so anyway !! :p

Steve, you cant do one thing (give them a fine of €100,000.00) and then next week of Pat Scully loses the rag, give another fine (€100.00) .... its just not possible.

Why not ??

Courts 'means-test' their level of fines ! Why shouldn't that example be followed through into other areas of public life ?

Pretending to treat unequals equally is inherently flawed. A E100,000 fine would kill the likes of Kilkenny, but a E100 fine meanwhile does nothing to the likes of Shels. Neither is therefore right or appropriate as punishments or deterrents .....

What's wrong with penalties in-line with both the seriousness of the offence, and the ability to pay ?

rerun
25/08/2005, 7:30 AM
On the subject of fines, €500 and €1000 are paltry sums. Lets face it, Fenlons fine won't be paid out of his own pocket. Surely it would be more of a penalty for clubs to be fined the gate receipts of the next game or games, simple as the turnstiles are metred ;) . Initially I thought that this was a rubbish idea, but think about it. Fans might stay away because they don't want to contribute to the fine, but they'd also be depriving their team of support, plus, opposition fans can go and be safe in the knowledge that their hard earned cash isn't funding the opposition team. The FAI obviously don't make any money out of fines, so why not nominate a charity so that players/clubs bad behaviour at least goes towards something decent. Obviouly I'm thinking of real registered charities, not the Shels players hardship fund ;) .

As for managerial suspensions where the person in question is not supposed to be in contact with the team before, during or immediately after the game, perhaps it would be an idea to make them report to Merrion Square for the period of the game and spend the two hours in the company of an FAI officer. Obviously they'd have to sign in/out, OR they should have to be a guest on Newstalk106 so that WE know they are really not at the game :)

Just some ideas to ponder as these fines/suspensions are laughable and probably will not be properly enforced.

patsh
25/08/2005, 7:36 AM
I think €1,000 is a hefty fine in the context of the eL. €50 is a joke for Byrne, €250 should have been the minimum amount.

I'd be more interested in how they ensure that Nuttsy is kept rigidly to the terms of the ban.
He broke those terms already this season without any censure, will they enforce it strictly this time?

sparkey
25/08/2005, 7:36 AM
One way to make sure that every one is hit with the same stick would be to fine people a number of weeks wages as happens in england when players step out of line.

Roverstillidie
25/08/2005, 10:29 AM
One way to make sure that every one is hit with the same stick would be to fine people a number of weeks wages as happens in england when players step out of line.

but this is shelbourne, remeber glen crowe left for 'a pay cut'...
not much use if they are getting paidcash in hand (or in one case coin in hand)

bigmac
25/08/2005, 11:08 AM

Isn't that only done with internal club disputes, i.e. a manager fining their own player?

TheOwl
25/08/2005, 11:49 AM

Steve,

Just as a matter of interest, what do you think would have been fitting punishment for the above offences?

TheOwl
25/08/2005, 11:51 AM
Surely it would be more of a penalty for clubs to be fined the gate receipts of the next game or games, simple as the turnstiles are metred

That would be far too random, your next home game could be Dublin City (no offence lads) or a big local derby! Does it just then become the luck of the draw as to when your fine will be implemented?

superfrank
25/08/2005, 12:22 PM
What happens to Eamonn Collins??

pineapple stu
25/08/2005, 12:27 PM
Issung fines sends out a signal about the appropriateness of the action concerned - such that when a fine is of a derisory level, it openly states that the incident is not seen as serious.
In fairness, it's a big fine by eL standards. One of our U-21 players was fined E25 and banned for five games for getting sent off recently; another got four yellows and was banned for one game and fined E15. In a relative sense, this fine does send out a message to Shels. Whether the overall level of fines is apt is another question.

Incidentally, plenty of Shels fans on the pitch after the League Cup semi - another fine looming?

I see Pat's got fined E100 for having two flares! :eek: Think that's a disgrace, to be honest - UEFA sanitising at its worst. Dundalk were fined E50 for filling out their teamsheet wrongly! :D

EnDai
25/08/2005, 12:30 PM
In regards to the UCD game with Shels "fans", I didn't see anyone over 10 broach onto the field. I hate the little feckers, all like up waiting to run on. Another fine might force the club into doing something about it!

Sheridan
25/08/2005, 1:13 PM
What happens to Eamonn Collins??
I think he just gets a bit upset tbh. Either that or his collar is too tight.

rerun
25/08/2005, 1:31 PM
That would be far too random, your next home game could be Dublin City (no offence lads) or a big local derby! Does it just then become the luck of the draw as to when your fine will be implemented?
Well, yes. But I think Shels pull in more than €2000 even when Dublin city come to Tolka.

Schumi
25/08/2005, 1:52 PM
In regards to the UCD game with Shels "fans", I didn't see anyone over 10 broach onto the field. I hate the little feckers, all like up waiting to run on. Another fine might force the club into doing something about it!
I reckon some kind of asphixiant gas up to their head level would be the best solution.

Shelsman
25/08/2005, 4:46 PM

What do you suggest? A 100 lashes or just a good beating with baseball bats :rolleyes:

€1000 Has to be a record fine. It's clear that some people are never happy and Shels can never be punished enough. I suppose you think they should be relegated as well????????????? :rolleyes:

Personally I see it as the perfect excuse to sack Fenlon and Collins ( and Ollie Byrne too if the going is good ).

pineapple stu
25/08/2005, 6:27 PM
€1000 Has to be a record fine.
I read there (possibly the FAI website) that the previous record fine was E400. Shels have broken that three times in the one match!

OneRedArmy
25/08/2005, 7:27 PM
What do you suggest? A 100 lashes or just a good beating with baseball bats :rolleyes:

€1000 Has to be a record fine. It's clear that some people are never happy and Shels can never be punished enough. I suppose you think they should be relegated as well????????????? :rolleyes:

Personally I see it as the perfect excuse to sack Fenlon and Collins ( and Ollie Byrne too if the going is good ).

E1000 is in the ballpark of 3% of Shels weekly wage bill. If anyone thinks thats a material amount to the running of the club, you need to do an accountancy course.

And does the FAI keep levying individual fines to Shels ad naseum or does it look at the big picture link them all together and charge them with bringing the game into disrepute?

Appropriate sanctions would be:
Fenlon banned for 10-12 games.
Byrne banned from attending games til the end of the season and banned from the pitch forever
Requirement to play one game behind closed doors for repeatedly failing to control staff and fans (suspended pending good behaviour until the end of the season)