PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh!

aido_b
24/08/2005, 12:15 PM
For people living or those of you that have been to Edinburgh ... Flying into Edinburgh first thing tomorrow morning, tv festival aint kicking off until 1pm. I have about 5 hours to mess around with, what is there to do?

ColinR
24/08/2005, 12:32 PM
there are shows on pretty much all day long, so just get the bus into princes street, and go for a walk - you'll quickly go by a venue with a show on.

pay a visit to the castle, mind you i'm here five months and i've still never got around to going there.

Gerrit
24/08/2005, 4:19 PM
Edinburgh's on my list of "UK places to visit"... I've heard it's a very nice place. I thought Glasgow was nice but a bit gloomy and grey, but Edinburgh's far nicer as for what I'm told by other travel fanatics. The castles should give a very idyllic scenery.

By the way, in case you'd happen to pass Hibs or Hearts grounds, could you make a pic for me? I collect stadium pictures.

Closed Account 2
25/08/2005, 11:05 PM
what are the best places to visit/things to do in Glasgow? am off there this w'end!

Pauro 76
26/08/2005, 4:29 PM
Worked in a bar in Edinburgh for 3 months, and had an absolute ball, by far my most favourite city ive visited. btw if your on a budget, theres a stand up comedy club called the Stand, cant remember where exactly it is, a few big names often drop by for a warm up gig sometimes, well worth it if you're scared off by the high gig prices.

Green Tribe
27/08/2005, 2:07 AM
what are the best places to visit/things to do in Glasgow? am off there this w'end!

Just in from a night out for my friend's birthday in Glasgow. Been to Social and then Belo (which used to be the fab Babaza). Was a good night but have sore feet from dancing...... :eek: Actually some decent totty for a change! ;)
Make sure you visit the West End, Ashton Lane, nice set of wee bars, NUDE, JINTY MC GINTY's, BUDDHA etc, also glasgow university (my uni :D ) which is worth a visit. visit merchant city, good spot at night, royal exchange square nice for daytime. SCience museum, by the clyde is good. get the tour bus at george square. tourist office is there too.

Beware of annoying ned ba$tards :mad:

soccerc
27/08/2005, 2:12 AM
Make sure you visit the West End,

Down Dumbarton Road to visit all the pubs like Tennants? Never liked the West End, preferred Shawlands ;)

Green Tribe
27/08/2005, 2:17 AM
Down Dumbarton Road to visit all the pubs like Tennants? Never liked the West End, preferred Shawlands ;)

Tennants?? :confused: Que?
Shawlands is too far from me, but the once or twice I've been there i liked it.but if someone is visiting glasgow, they are going to want to stay in the city, they'll not want to get train/bus out there! :eek: I just like the west end because it is just 10 min walk to byre's road from my flat, but i prefer city centre.

Green Tribe
27/08/2005, 2:19 AM
do ya mean that old man's pub on byre' s road??? :eek: jesus no!

Gerrit
27/08/2005, 3:45 PM
Glasgow has some very nice architecture in the city centre, walking around the town at night was absolute bliss for me. Many goths as well there :) For shopping purposes it's also a very nice place. And the botanic gardens are very nice to see as well, and definitely try to see the church across the street of the entrance, it has some very nice decorations...

For Glaswegian pubs: I had a very nice evening at a place called Nice'n'Sleazy, and no it is far from sleezy ! ;) Also, King Tut's WaWa Hut was kinda nice. But I'd say Nice'n'Sleazy is all you need for a night out in Glasgow. I visited few other pubs, but those two I named were the nicest ones.

Green Tribe
28/08/2005, 1:44 AM
I thought u would like 'nice & sleazy' gerrit, it's that kind of place ;) not somewhere i would go, don't like the music, and it's very smoky. Roll on March 2006, when they ban smoking here :D . Sorry aido back on topic, i don't know edinburgh as well, it's nice to visit etc, but it doesn't have the atmosphere glasgow has.

Gerrit
28/08/2005, 1:26 PM
"that kind of place" ?? You mean a Gothic meet-up place?

(BTW, have you asked your brother yet about nice indie/new-wave/gothic pubs in Belfast ? ;) )

Green Tribe
28/08/2005, 2:53 PM
"that kind of place" ?? You mean a Gothic meet-up place?

(BTW, have you asked your brother yet about nice indie/new-wave/gothic pubs in Belfast ? ;) )

:D :cool:
I'll post up what he says tomorrow on the other thread! :)

Closed Account 2
29/08/2005, 7:40 PM
Just in from a night out for my friend's birthday in Glasgow. Been to Social and then Belo (which used to be the fab Babaza). Was a good night but have sore feet from dancing...... :eek: Actually some decent totty for a change! ;)
Make sure you visit the West End, Ashton Lane, nice set of wee bars, NUDE, JINTY MC GINTY's, BUDDHA etc, also glasgow university (my uni :D ) which is worth a visit. visit merchant city, good spot at night, royal exchange square nice for daytime. SCience museum, by the clyde is good. get the tour bus at george square. tourist office is there too.

Beware of annoying ned ba$tards :mad:

Cheers for the advice, went there this weekend. Glasgow was great, walked around the city during the day and went to a few bars at night, some non-smoking one (cant remember the name, near the station) which was good, also an 80s one (called reflect I think) and a couple in the West End and near Suchiehall Street.

Green Tribe
30/08/2005, 5:31 PM
Cheers for the advice, went there this weekend. Glasgow was great, walked around the city during the day and went to a few bars at night, some non-smoking one (cant remember the name, near the station) which was good, also an 80s one (called reflect I think) and a couple in the West End and near Suchiehall Street.

good stuff, there are quite a few non-smoking bars popping up around glasgow now, because they will ban it in march :D cannot wait, it is more responsible for a hangover than the drinking :eek:

Gerrit
30/08/2005, 5:51 PM
Pssst, KT, don't forget my update on Belfast's nightlife ;)

Green Tribe
30/08/2005, 6:03 PM
Pssst, KT, don't forget my update on Belfast's nightlife ;)

i know, i know, i'll def be speaking to him tomorrow morning(when i'm supposed to be working :o :D )