PDA

View Full Version : Quartet Return To Irish Squad V U.s.a.

Pablo
11/04/2002, 1:04 PM
www.rte.ie/aertel

Richard Sadlier, Andy O'Brien, Kevin Kilbane and Rory Delap are back in the Republic of Ireland squad for the friendly against the USA at Lansdowne Road next Wednesday.
Millwall striker Sadlier, Newcastle defender O'Brien and Sunderland winger Kilbane were all ruled out of the friendly against Denmark with injuries.
Southampton's Rory Delap was last included in one of Mick McCarthy's squads for the World Cup qualifying play-off matches against Iran.
Roy Keane, Stephen Carr, Mark Kennedy, Lee Carsley and Alan Kelly are all unavailable due to injuruies.

McCARTHY NOT WORRIED ABOUT ABSENTEES

Speaking about the four injured absentees from his squad, manager Mick McCarthy said: 'I'm not worried...It's better that they have plenty of time to recover before we head off for Tokyo on May 17.'
After the match against the USA in Dublin, the Republic then play Sunderland in Niall Quinn's testimonial at the Stadium of Light on May 14.
Two days later the Irish will be in action against Nigeria in Dublin before their departure for Japan.
Effectively there are 28 players still in the running for those 23 seats on the Tokyo flight.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND SQUAD for friendly against USA in Lansdowne Rd on April 17 S Given M Holland D Kiely M Kinsella N Colgan K Kilbane S Staunton S Reid I Harte C Healy R Dunne R Delap G Breen N Quinn A O'Brien Robbie Keane G Kelly C Morrison K Cunningham D Duff S Finnan D Connolly J McAteer R Sadlier

Éanna
11/04/2002, 1:24 PM
from soccercentral.ie (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=6871&mainheading=Other&viewstory=yes)

Sadlier bows out

Richard Sadlier has bowed out of the running for the Republic of Ireland’s friendly against the USA despite some odd quotes you may have read on other websites – most notably Sports dot com/irl.

Our friends in Sports.com, a big multi-national with massive resources, appear to have caught Sadlier on the Millwall training ground and handed him the news of his call-up.

A quick chat with Millwall this morning confirmed what they had told soccercentral yesterday that Richard would most likely miss the World Cup -"I see how near he is to tears knowing he is going to miss the World Cup" said their spokesman.

Sports.com broke their story thus:

"This is great news, more than I expected," said Sadlier when the news broke at the Millwall training ground. "I have fighting the injury for the last number of weeks and it did look as if my season was over at one point.

"I was resigned then to missing the chance to make the World Cup squad but now this changes everything. The Millwall boss Mark McGhee has let me play through the injury and this is the reward. It makes all the pain worthwhile."

Meanwhile, Sadlier appears to have changed his tune very rapidly indeed when he spoke to Neil O’Riordan of the Sun.

"I played a few minutes as a subsitute againbst Stockport County and then felt ok to start against Rotherham on the following Monday."

"I lasted just over an hour but I was in a heap afterwards and I haven' trained since."

“I won’t be able to travel because I won’t be able to play again this season.”

“I suppose it’s nice I’m in Mick McCarthy’s thoughts but it doesn’t help my situation because I won’t play again this season.”

Does Richard Sadlier have a twin or perhaps he was asleep when he spoke to Sports.com!!!!!

Éanna
11/04/2002, 1:25 PM
from sports.com (http://www.sports.com/irl/football/news/2002/04/11/sIRL01MTAxODUyMDMwODU.html)
Richard Sadlier's World Cup joy was shortlived; the Millwall striker is out of the friendly against the USA at Lansdowne Road next Wednesday.

Sadlier was quoted by London press agencies yesterday afternoon as being delighted with his return to the Irish squad for the penultimate game before the World Cup finals.

Richard Sadlier is out of the Irish squad (Sports.com)
But now the Den star has had to surrender to the hip injury that threatens the rest of his season as the Lions chase promotion.

He will play through the pain for Millwall but will not travel to Ireland after his manager Mark McGhee spoke to Mick McCarthy late on Wednesday night.

McGhee said: "I spoke to Mick McCarthy last night and he fully understands the situation.

"Richard won't be joining the squad for next week's game, however, if he feels that he can play a part for us and be on the bench, so be it. It is up to Richard himself to decide. He is booked in for an operation on his hip at the end of the month and will have it regardless.

"It is obviously a devastating blow for him to miss out on the World Cup, but we shouldn't get carried away here. He has done superbly well to get to the fringes of the Irish team, but Mick would probably have stuck with the boys who have got his side to the Finals in the first instance.

"Richard would perhaps have gone in the event of another player pulling out through injury.

"On the positive side, he has time on his side and will, I'm sure, be a key figure when it comes around to the European Championships."

Sadlier told the Irish Sun: "I played a few minutes as a subsitute against Stockport County and then felt ok to start against Rotherham on the following Monday.

"I lasted just over an hour but I was in a heap afterwards and I haven' trained since.

"I won’t be able to travel with Ireland now. I suppose it’s nice I’m still in Mick McCarthy’s thoughts."

McCarthy will stop experimenting after next week's game, a month before he names the squad to travel to Japan.

"We have a number of injuries which allow me to look at players in this game but I do want to get a settled look to the squad now," said McCarthy.

"We are running out of time ahead of the World Cup finals so it is imperative that some consistency comes into the team and the squad now."

McCarthy's list of 24 players doesn't feature Manchester United defender John O'Shea, now certain to miss the trip to Japan in the summer.

Millwall's Steven Reid and Celtic's Colin Healy, currently on loan at Coventry, get another chance to impress.

Republic of Ireland squad v USA: Given, Kiely, Colgan, Finnan, Kelly, Staunton, Breen, Dunne, Cunningham, Harte, O'Brien, Kilbane, Reid, Kinsella, McAteer, Holland, Healy, Quinn, Keane, Connolly, Morrison, Duff, Delap.

Éanna
11/04/2002, 1:26 PM
is the guy fit or is he injured or what?!:confused:

SÓC
11/04/2002, 4:23 PM
Looks like he's pulled out.

That should let Crowe into the squad but it wont I'd say because of the signal it would send to Irish players in Ingerland, the FAI might give them the idea to come home to play football, imagne that?

Crowe for Éire

Éanna
12/04/2002, 2:41 PM
Crowe deserves a chance in a friendly at least- what if Quinn gets injured? With him an Sadlier gone we'd be left with robbei Keane (reserve team player in an over-rated english team), Connolly (proven to be almost totally useless at any decent level of football), Duff (a winger) and Morrison (not a bad player, but still NOT Irish!) Surely Crowe deserves a go in case he's needed?!