PDA

View Full Version : the big crowd saturday

Rory H
24/08/2005, 12:06 PM
with talk of the crowd being 2500 saturday,how fickle does that make our fans

the d'or mickey feeney season the crowds were 700....and it was like a libary

now it seems to be 1600-2000 every week and the singing has returned with "rovers till we die"...

so if there is to be 2500 saturday,that make 1800 people who were missing last year......
rovers till we die

bit of a joke really

gustavo
24/08/2005, 12:16 PM
it is fair enough but it would be weirder if we were still getting the same crowds from when we were crap to now when we are half decent also if we do get into the prem (hopefully ) i would consider it weirder still if the crowds didnt improve.

SRFC Head
24/08/2005, 12:33 PM
I was making every home game over the last few years don't make it too often now as I live and work in Dublin and can't get back so i'm the opposite i guess.

garykelly
24/08/2005, 11:30 PM
ah it was the same for the galway cup game. there was 4 thousand at that while the home league gates will averaging 500 and less. at least with the cup if the people come out to watch they might enjoy it and come back.

The number of people that dont go to the showgrounds simply becuase they have this old idea in their head of "rovers being crap and not wanting to stand out in the rain watching a side get beat" is unbelievable. Marketing Marketing Marketing Marketing !!!!

If we beat st pats be prepared for a big home gate against monaghan...fans being fickle ?? all fans are fickle. but only some fans stick with their club through thick and thin. roll on saturday night fever !!!

The Stars
25/08/2005, 12:03 AM
i think people are expecting more than what will actually be the case. Id say 2000 will be the height of it...hope im wrong though.

Conor H
25/08/2005, 11:41 AM
...Every club in the world gets there biggest crowds when the team is doing well.Yere average attendance has gone up by around 1000 since Connor took over and yee started winning games.If we were top of the league next year or in a cup semi final terryland would be full but for our next league game against Kildare there will be around 700 fans. :( .It's as simple as-most will only be bothered to support there local team if there doing well.Otherwise they sit at home and are the first people during the week to critise the team.."we"is there favourite word.It's the same with every EL team.

gustavo
25/08/2005, 12:20 PM
yeah i know a guy from maugheraboy who doesnt go to games and he knows i go and we were talking and he said "ill go on the day they win the league" :mad:

The Stars
25/08/2005, 12:56 PM
Typical of Sligo people to jump on the band wagon when we are doing well.

Petmuller
25/08/2005, 5:14 PM
...Every club in the world gets there biggest crowds when the team is doing well.Yere average attendance has gone up by around 1000 since Connor took over and yee started winning games.If we were top of the league next year or in a cup semi final terryland would be full but for our next league game against Kildare there will be around 700 fans. :( .It's as simple as-most will only be bothered to support there local team if there doing well.Otherwise they sit at home and are the first people during the week to critise the team.."we"is there favourite word.It's the same with every EL team.
Totally agree with you Conor but I wouldn't just confine it to the EL. It's common all over the world, nobody wants to be associated with loosers and I suppose that's the bottom line. What really annoys me is people talking about english football and constantly using the 'we' word. Yet when you talk these people down the majority have never set foot in an english ground. They wear the shirt with pride and sit on a bar stool roaring at a TV and to them they are the best supporters in the world.
Enough said about that though ...
Our biggest crowd in the showgrounds in recent years was the visit of Galway to the Showgrounds two seasons ago in the cup. Galway won that night with Ollie Keogh being sent off early in the game. There must have been three thousand at the game that night as Galway had a large following. I don't know what numbers Pats will bring with them but there should be quite an atmosphere.
As a matter of interest what is the capacity of the showgrounds now since the redevelopment?
The Treacy Avenue stand seats 1500, the Jinks Avenue sits 900 not sure what numbers would both goal ends hold?

The Stars
25/08/2005, 5:46 PM
id say 4000 could easily get into the ground.Maybe more.

gustavo
26/08/2005, 8:01 AM
lads i heard the game is all ticket is this true?

The Stars
26/08/2005, 9:03 AM
No its not,pay at the gate as usuall.Season tickets will not be accept aswell.

garykelly
26/08/2005, 9:06 AM

AFAIK It's not all ticket.

RE: Capacity

I think the official capacity is listed at 6,000. When brugge came it held 8,000 that night, but obviously with seating now the capacity has gone down.

gustavo
26/08/2005, 9:15 AM
thanks gary.

Redtop
09/09/2005, 6:22 PM
Record Attendance: 13,908 (FAI Cup semi-final replay Sligo Rovers vs Cobh Ramblers April 17th 1983) http://www.freewebs.com/sligorovers/ didnt know you would've been able to fit that many in i wouldnt have been born does any1 in the forum remember it?

1 9 2 8
10/09/2005, 1:11 AM
Record Attendance: 13,908 (FAI Cup semi-final replay Sligo Rovers vs Cobh Ramblers April 17th 1983) http://www.freewebs.com/sligorovers/ didnt know you would've been able to fit that many in i wouldnt have been born does any1 in the forum remember it?
That my website I got the numbers from the Sligo Champion. When we won the league in '77 I heard their was 17,000 at the game when we beat Shams 3-0 but I don't how true that is

d rovers
10/09/2005, 8:56 AM
i'm old enough to remember the cobh games, & i was small enough not to be able to see that much at that game! Gus Gilligan got the winner down at the railway end & i only saw the goal on tv later. It seemed like the whole town was crammed into the showgies that day.

showgies
12/09/2005, 10:27 AM
There were so many people packed into the ground in 83 that there were supporters sitting on top of the Jink’s Ave stand.

I do remember another large crowd in the showgies and Rovers weren’t ever playing. The game was Derry City vs Longford Town (I think) in the First Division Shield. It was Longfords home tie, switched to the showgies. I think it was Derry’s first year back in football, and there must have been 13-14,000 at the game (all Derry). For the record, I think Derry won 3-0. This was the Derry with Noel King, Owen deGama and the like.