PDA

View Full Version : Limerick sign McGrath

student
24/08/2005, 10:47 AM
http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=3453

A good signing for Limerick. i remember seeing him play in the premiership on TV not so long ago.

widow
24/08/2005, 11:26 AM
absolutely cracking signing well done every one involved in getting him

shelbourne1904
24/08/2005, 12:03 PM
I wonder how much he will cost.
Based on the standard of the 2 players signed from Fairview last year, and now Buckley, who are undoubted successes surely there are more players in the Limerick junior ranks who would be good enough to make the grade??

sligoman
24/08/2005, 12:08 PM
Former Irish Under-21 and Aston Villa midfielder John McGrath has signed with eircom First Division side Limerick FC until the end of the season.

McGrath put pen to paper for the Blues at the Clarion Hotel until the end of the season and the Shannonsiders also have the option another 12 months.

McGrath from Monegea in Limerick said he was delighted to be playing with his home town club.

'I lined out for Limerick in a friendly against Scun-thorpe recently and I was surprised at the quality of the Limerick team,' he said.

sadloserkid
24/08/2005, 12:52 PM
Should be a good signing. Last with Kidderminister I think? If he's used as a midfielder then maybe they'll push Barrett up and drop Nolan? Not sure if he was ever really gonna make it at Villa Park but at this level you'd hope that he'd stand out.

widow
24/08/2005, 1:00 PM
wouldn't just drop him, show him the door!

LFC in Exile
24/08/2005, 2:04 PM
This is brilliant news and fair play to NOC and DD. This shows a lot of ambition. I am sure McGrath isn't cheap so fair play.

The fact that he is a local lad and played in the Premiership might send a message to people in Limerick (especially those that look abroad for their football kicks) that good things are happening at the club. :ball:

thelimerick
24/08/2005, 2:08 PM
Really good signing and an ambitious move by the club who have to be commended for signing him. Well done. Would be good to see him in the centre and allow tommy a crack up front which would be like having another new player.

Kerry Blue
24/08/2005, 5:11 PM
Well done to the club in signing him. Let's hope he's used in a position that makes the most of his ability and we start playing the quality of football we're capable of.

Westside
25/08/2005, 5:35 PM
. Would be good to see him in the centre and allow tommy a crack up front which would be like having another new player.Hes's not a central midfielder, he's a winger at least thats where he has always played (at Villa, Daganham/Redbridge and Kiddeminster), and I would rather see in that kind of role where he would be more effective.

Lim till i die
26/08/2005, 9:34 AM
Hes's not a central midfielder, he's a winger at least thats where he has always played (at Villa, Daganham/Redbridge and Kiddeminster), and I would rather see in that kind of role where he would be more effective.

Play him on the wing, put Keatso in the middle, Tommy Barrett up front next to Robbie, the goals begin to fly in from all angles and we are promoted in a play-off against Waaaaaaaaterford. Then next season the return of Paddy Purcell, Colin Heffernan and Bobby Ryan to the club sees an almost entirely local Limerick side qualify comfortably for Europe :D

John McGrath, what a signing :D

(Also, I think in the interests of good taste the first person caught chanting "Oh Ah, John McGrath" should be barred from the Shed for life :D )

sadloserkid
26/08/2005, 12:04 PM
Then next season the return of Paddy Purcell, Colin Heffernan and Bobby Ryan to the club sees an almost entirely local Limerick side qualify comfortably for Europe :D

Don't forget Jimmy Fyffe! ;)

Kerry Blue
26/08/2005, 5:22 PM
A complete local team? :) Nice! Why does Celtic and 1967 come to mind. Surely not for Limerick? :D

Westside
27/08/2005, 2:27 AM
Don't forget Jimmy Fyffe! ;)Hey..........what about Anton Mannering aswell :eek: :eek:................. just kiddin :D :D

jebus
27/08/2005, 1:08 PM
Good signing for Limerick, congrats to Noel for persuading him to join Limerick and Danny for shelling out the bucks to bring him here. You see I can be positive sometimes too.....

Westside
27/08/2005, 5:56 PM
Good signing for Limerick, congrats to Noel for persuading him to join Limerick and Danny for shelling out the bucks to bring him here. You see I can be positive sometimes too.....Hey Jebus have you just been possessed by Willie John, not one hint of critisism or sarcasm in your post.............Strange :confused: very strange :eek:

Lim till i die
29/08/2005, 2:06 PM
Lisbon Lions all born within a 40 mile radius of Parkhead

Limerick Lions 2007. All born within a 40 mile radius of Markets Field, Hogan Park, Pike Rovers or The Jacks :)

Also why bring back Jimmy Fyffe when we already have two understudys to Noel Mooney :confused: :)

sadloserkid
29/08/2005, 8:12 PM
Also why bring back Jimmy Fyffe when we already have two understudys to Noel Mooney :confused: :)

In fact we don't. Kevin O'Sullivan has apparently passed on from this eircom League life.

Lim till i die
31/08/2005, 2:05 PM
In fact we don't. Kevin O'Sullivan has apparently passed on from this eircom League life.

Iwas talking about that left back from the 21's game the other night ;) :D