PDA

View Full Version : Pixies

Gareth
24/08/2005, 9:53 AM
Kings of Leon vocals were inaudible. Crowd were a-holes. Totally packed full of fools. Pixies were super as expected. The Water works were impressive albeit I doubt planned :). FB was drenched. Anyways I hate Irish music crowds. I wish Pixies could play in a nice small venue and the crowd is picked by me. :)

Dublin12
24/08/2005, 9:59 AM
Once again the sound was terrible,very disappointed :( .I thought the Pixies were just ok,I've seen them many times and this wasn't one of their better performances although as mentioned the sound was a contributing factor.I think they were just warming up for the festivals in the UK this weekend were with better sound they should be back to top form.

fosterdollar
24/08/2005, 10:08 AM
Crowd were a-holes. Totally packed full of fools.
this is why, despite liking the bands that played, i had zero interest in going to those gigs. it's always the same at 'rock' concerts.

Stuttgart88
24/08/2005, 10:11 AM
I wish Pixies could play in a nice small venue and the crowd is picked by me. :)
I saw them in Brixton Academy last June. Brilliant gig, brilliant venue. A larger version of Dublin's Olympia Theatre.

Gareth
24/08/2005, 10:18 AM
I saw them in Brixton Academy last June. Brilliant gig, brilliant venue. A larger version of Dublin's Olympia Theatre.

Yup I know Brixton and I was due to go over but my friend gave my ticket to a guy called Matt. Who the hell was Matt and why did he have my ticket, I will never ever know.

Fosterdollar, myself and my fellow concert going pals have decided to call it a day on the bigger gigs. We blanket banned The Point as a venue 8 years ago and this is why I will not go see Weezer tonight. I seen them in Vicar Street and I can see Turn anytime. We have extended the ban to irish festivals now and will probably only go if there are really great gigs in small tents.

Maybe I am old, maybe I am dull, but when I go to a gig, I wanna:
1) Hear the band play
2) Not get physically battered to death

Last night, guys were basically trying to knock the lard out of each other, Mega Death or Sarah McLachlan could of been on stage cos these lads weren't interested in the music, just the chance to take their tops off and body slap each other. I think the average intelligence of Irish youth is drastically plummetting to inane levels of moronic!!!

fosterdollar
24/08/2005, 10:25 AM
At the Marlay Park gigs anyone who wanted to get to the front could. There was little of that shirts off jumping round like demented lunatics going on. It seemed everyone was there to see the acts playing. The fact that neither was sold out may have been a sign that every knob on the street wasn't just buying tickets cos he heard it was going to be a great event without knowing anything about the bands.

I find with the big rock concerts and fectivals (like Slane used to be) you get a lot of over excited mid-teens just happy to be free of their parents for the day and, as you say, it could be anyone on stage for all they care. They only went to be at that concert because at that age it's cool to say you went to see that band or whatever.

Gareth
24/08/2005, 10:39 AM
fosterdollar, you have it smack on the money there. In small gigs, their equilalent is the person who turns up at the gig late, muscles their way to the front and then proceeds to battle to talk over the music so they can carry a conversation out with their mate.

Slane is a never ever in my eyes too. This years Slane if it got the go ahead had the potential of having the worst crowd in the history of crowds. Could you imagine what would turn up for Eminem and 50 cent and pals. Christ I shudder to think.

Longford, hmm..you had a few gigs on the back of a truck years ago. Think my mate first saw whipping boy there.

fosterdollar
24/08/2005, 10:50 AM
Longford, hmm..you had a few gigs on the back of a truck years ago. Think my mate first saw whipping boy there.
Yeah, the Longford Summer Festival was fairly decent over the late 80's early 90's from what i hear and remember. We had the The Stunning, Golden Horde, Whipping Boy and The Frames different years. There was muck as well in Aslan, Picturehouse, Pato Banton :eek: :D, a very locked Dolores Keane but the atmosphere was always deadly. The truck stage was the Guinnes GigRig and then the Heinken Rollercoaster or something like that. Plus the Beat On The Street was a bit of a kick when you were thirteen and you fancied a bit of action... The dancers on stage were a sight for sore eyes in Longford.

For some trivia, i'm fairly sure Thin Lizzy played in the Temperance Hall (the parish hall in Longford Town) back in the day.

As for the Whipping Boy gig, i was playing guitar for the band that opened for them that night. They played a brilliant gig as well.

Gareth
24/08/2005, 11:03 AM
As for the Whipping Boy gig, i was playing guitar for the band that opened for them that night. They played a brilliant gig as well.

Thats pretty downright deadly!! Where ye any good? Isn't the lad from Whipping Boy now in The Rags?

Drumcondra Red
24/08/2005, 11:15 AM
I am dull

You hit the nail on the head there!!! :p

What was the story with numbers seeing as though the ticket sales were so bad for the 2 Landsdowne gigs???

fosterdollar
24/08/2005, 12:02 PM
Thats pretty downright deadly!! Where ye any good? Isn't the lad from Whipping Boy now in The Rags?

We were decent enough for our ages i suppose. Recorded twice. First three songs, then six (all our own). We used to play mainly covers for gigs otherwise couldn't hold much attention. It was good craic while it lasted. Two of the lads are still playing in bands in dublin and have done roadie jobs, etc. Haven't heard of The Rags tbh but they get a good review here (http://entertainment.ie/reviews/review.asp?ID=3991&SubCat=CD). Last i heard, Ferghal Mckee was planning on releasing some solo material. He appeared at a Thrills gig recently to sing lead on one of their songs.

anto1208
24/08/2005, 1:00 PM
i agree with the crowd thing , ill never understand the need to keep moving , the band are on for an hour 15 mins surely you can find a spot and stay there , the amount of idiots pushing by all the time both going fowards and back ! , surely if you want a drink get 2 or 3 before it starts if you need a pee hold it or at least you just go .
if i pay 60 euro to see a band i want to see the band , last night i had a fat farmer in front trying to dance but just bumping into people and a tw at of a bloke and a bird that talked all the way through the show right beside me not once did he even look at the stage.

Dublin12
24/08/2005, 1:05 PM
Did anyone notice the quality of the video screens,they were the best I've seen at a concert, at least that was one thing they got right.

Lim till i die
24/08/2005, 2:27 PM
Anyone have any kind of a set list? Did they play much of the Trompe Le Monde stuff or stick to their good songs? :o

holidaysong
24/08/2005, 7:10 PM
Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)
Lady in the Radiator Song
Where is my Mind
Here Comes Your Man
Nimrod's Son
The Holiday Song
Mr. Grieves
Vamos
Is She Weird
Bone Machine
No.13 Baby
I Bleed
Monkey Gone to Heaven
Wave of Mutilation
Alison
Broken Face
Isla De Encanta
River Euphrates
Caribou
The Sad Punk
Hey
Gouge Away
Cactus
Debaser
Tame
Planet of Sound
(encore) Gigantic

I enjoyed the gig more than last year in the Phoenix Park I must say even with the crap sound. My highlights were 'Planet of Sound' (I love that song and wasn't expecting it at all) and 'The Holiday Song' which is my favourite song (hence my username).

However Frank Black & The Catholic's in Vicar Street in 2003 is still better in my opinion. Smaller, more intimate venue which attracts the loyal support and mostly stops the 'tag-along' fans that go to summer outdoor gigs.

Neish
24/08/2005, 8:11 PM
Agree with holidaysong set list was far better than the phoniex park gig. But agree with others to the crowd were a pile of fussy ******* think they turned up a night early

sylvo
24/08/2005, 8:15 PM
Going to see them thursday week in the Alexandra palace in North London, massive venue but seen a few bands there and they've always been great there, seen them last summer in the Forum a much smaller venue and they were fantastic, so looking forward to it.

Lim till i die
26/08/2005, 9:39 AM
Pretty Class Set List, curse my poverty anyway :mad:
Shall just have to wait for the Christmas DvD :o

gustavo
26/08/2005, 9:41 AM
no dig for fire :confused:
or dead :confused:
oh well apart from that it looks cracking!

Lim till i die
26/08/2005, 10:00 AM
no dig for fire :confused:
or dead :confused:
oh well apart from that it looks cracking!

Have a thing for "Ana" and "Hang Wire" off Bossanova myself but don't think there ever played in concert :o

gustavo
26/08/2005, 10:03 AM
just noticed also from bossnova they didnt play velouria:(

Macy
26/08/2005, 10:05 AM
i agree with the crowd thing , ill never understand the need to keep moving , the band are on for an hour 15 mins surely you can find a spot and stay there , the amount of idiots pushing by all the time both going fowards and back ! , surely if you want a drink get 2 or 3 before it starts if you need a pee hold it or at least you just go .
if i pay 60 euro to see a band i want to see the band , last night i had a fat farmer in front trying to dance but just bumping into people and a tw at of a bloke and a bird that talked all the way through the show right beside me not once did he even look at the stage.
U2 will be my last outdoor gig I reckon. Can't be arsed with the shíte anymore down on the pitch, and yet watching from the seats feels like you may as well be watching on tele...

Lim till i die
26/08/2005, 10:07 AM
Glad, I couldn't afford to go now, the more we disect it the crapper it obviously was :p

No "I've been Tired" or "Levitate Me" either ;)

anto1208
26/08/2005, 4:24 PM
U2 will be my last outdoor gig I reckon. Can't be arsed with the shíte anymore down on the pitch, and yet watching from the seats feels like you may as well be watching on tele...

im going to keep going to the electric picnic i cant speak highly enough of this festival . a real festival strickly over 18's no idiots alloud :D , every one is in good form and just there to enjoy the music rather than try to get as drunk as possible