PDA

View Full Version : League Cup Final

Dee75
24/08/2005, 8:47 AM
The League Cup Final is due to be played on either Mon 19th/Tues 20th September.

AFAIK there will be a draw to determine who at home. It would be a disaster if the final was to be played at Belfield. There would be a couple of hundred there but if it's in the Brandywell there will be a few thousand. For both teams a match in the Brandywell would be financially better. Let's hope the 'draw' gives Derry a home game!!

rerun
24/08/2005, 8:52 AM
Shouldn't the game be played over two legs, home and away, with the rules about away goals clear before they kick off?

Peadar
24/08/2005, 9:03 AM
Let's hope the 'draw' gives Derry a home game!!

Sounds like you're trying to influence the draw! :eek: :D

Poor Student
24/08/2005, 9:06 AM
While you have a bigger support than us I don't think it's more fair that we'd have to make the trek to Derry on a weekday than you coming down here. It may well prove impossible to arrange. On a very bad day we can get a couple of hundred. I think the crowd would be 1,000 at Belfield given your away fans, our home fans and some interested neutrals.

Krstic
24/08/2005, 9:07 AM
I think the only fair way to decide is with the toss of a coin.

If we have to travel to Dublin then so be it.

Great feeling coming back up with the first trophy of the season ;)

joeSoap
24/08/2005, 9:14 AM
Shouldn't the game be played over two legs, home and away, with the rules about away goals clear before they kick off?
Thats the way we had to do it when we kicked ye're asses in 2002 :D ;)
I remember big confusion on the night over the away goals rule; we won the home leg 2-1 and lot the second leg 1-0(DODGY DIVING LIAM COYLE BASTRAD) and ye thought ye won on away goals......

The rest is history as they say...ha ha ha

Dee75
24/08/2005, 9:33 AM
Sounds like you're trying to influence the draw! :eek: :D

Never!! I'm sure the FAI can make sure the draw 'suits' everyone!! :D

MariborKev
24/08/2005, 9:41 AM
Thats the way we had to do it when we kicked ye're asses in 2002 :D ;)
I remember big confusion on the night over the away goals rule; we won the home leg 2-1 and lot the second leg 1-0(DODGY DIVING LIAM COYLE BASTRAD) and ye thought ye won on away goals......

The rest is history as they say...ha ha ha

Not to mention the gate receipts for the first leg going "missing"

Peadar
24/08/2005, 9:52 AM
I'm sure the FAI can make sure the draw 'suits' everyone!! :D

If it is to "suit" the FAI then the game will be in Tolka. ;)

You should expect that anything not locked down in Limerick will go missing. :D

joeSoap
24/08/2005, 9:56 AM
Unfortunately, and somewhat embarrassingly, that was a different club administration entirely, and I do not for one minute condone what happened then.

We still kicked ye're asses on pens in the Brandywell tho... :D :D

joeSoap
24/08/2005, 10:02 AM
You should expect that anything not locked down in Limerick will go missing. :D
I seem to remember kicking ye're asses too in an earlier round of the competition that year...and ye had a pretty full strength side out too...surely you can come up with a better reference to Limericks crime problem than that.Thats Limerick by the way, where there hasn't been a murder or serious crime in 15 months...how have the newspapers filled their pages, other than spending time on Leeside maybe?? :D

dcfcsteve
24/08/2005, 10:02 AM
We still kicked ye're asses on pens in the Brandywell tho... :D :D

What a proud boast. It's almost like saying "We kicked your ass at flipping a coin..." :D

Fair play to Limerick for shocking a very lazy Derry team that year. To be honest, though, you were a bit short of cash at the time and we thought you wanted the cup so you could sell it. We therefore tried to make it easy for you, but you still had to rely on penalties..... :p

MariborKev
24/08/2005, 10:03 AM
Wasn't having a dig Joe, but it is just one of my memories of that game :p

joeSoap
24/08/2005, 10:08 AM
What a proud boast. It's almost like saying "We kicked your ass at flipping a coin..." :D

Fair play to Limerick for shocking a very lazy Derry team that year. To be honest, though, you were a bit short of cash at the time and we thought you wanted the cup so you could sell it. We therefore tried to make it easy for you, but you still had to rely on penalties..... :p

If you remember the game in the Brandywell, ye only beat us 1-0 due to a penalty given for a Liam Coyle dive two yards outside the box but the referee couldn't keep up with the play.

Also, bear in mind that we were bottom of the first division at the time...ye must have been majorly embarrassed.

joeSoap
24/08/2005, 10:09 AM
Wasn't having a dig Joe, but it is just one of my memories of that game :p
No problem...a sad but true fact though.

superfrank
24/08/2005, 12:04 PM
I'd say Derry will win. Might toddle down to the match considering how close it could be.

Fair play to UCD for getting this far but I can't see past Derry. Also, can you imagine how Belfield would look in the Setanta Cup?

NY Hoop
24/08/2005, 12:32 PM
Now that we know the finalists would it not make sense to play it in a neutral venue equidistant from both clubs? For example in Longford.

Totally unfair to play a final in the opposition's ground. Another reason why this competition is a joke.

Congrats to UCD though. If Derry stay in the top 2 UCD will be in the Setanta Cup regardless what happens in the final. Also if UCD can do the whole league a favour and win saturday so we wont be embarrassed in Europe again next season. Also thanks for the 3 points!

KOH

Slash/ED
24/08/2005, 12:37 PM
If Derry stay in the top 2 UCD will be in the Setanta Cup regardless what happens in the final.

No they'll need to win it, if Derry win it goes to the league not the runners up.

superfrank
24/08/2005, 12:38 PM
A UCD fan mentioned on another thread that if they lose, the Setanta Cup place goes to the next team in the League.

So Longford could still get in there.......

pineapple stu
24/08/2005, 12:41 PM
Fair play to UCD for getting this far but I can't see past Derry. Also, can you imagine how Belfield would look in the Setanta Cup?
I didn't see us getting past Rovers, Waterford or Shels either! Belfield Park on telly would look like Belfield Park in real life. The away fans would fill it up nicely and make a bit of noise...unless we're playing Dungannon Swifts!

Incidentally, the last two LC finals were one-legged and won by the home team. I can see us not opting for that option with the Setanta Cup at stake! I think the two teams arrange the final details themselves, so I would hope it'd be either a two-legged game or a neutral venue.

NY Hoop
24/08/2005, 12:44 PM
A UCD fan mentioned on another thread that if they lose, the Setanta Cup place goes to the next team in the League.

So Longford could still get in there.......

OH F**k. Hope UCD win it then..........

KOH

superfrank
24/08/2005, 12:44 PM
The AIB Stand is decent enough but apart from that, unlike Turner's, Windsor, Tolka, the Oval, Shamrock or Flancare, there's no other covered area (I know we have the same problem) and imo that doesnt look terribly desirable on telly.

MariborKev
24/08/2005, 12:45 PM
I propose Dundalk as a neutral venue

Much easier to get to from Derry than Longford, handy from Dublin. Furthermore good PR for their new pitch etc etc

pineapple stu
24/08/2005, 12:50 PM
The AIB Stand is decent enough but apart from that, unlike Turner's, Windsor, Tolka, the Oval, Shamrock or Flancare, there's no other covered area (I know we have the same problem) and imo that doesnt look terribly desirable on telly.
Yeah, Belfield Park is a crap ground in fairness, but sod it - nothing you can do. If we do qualify, ironically, it'd be a year or so to soon because there's a new ground coming on stream shortly. I suppose we could use the money to repair the Cascarino and re-open that - get a temporary roof or something (if that's even possible!)

Slash/ED
24/08/2005, 12:51 PM
it'd be a year or so to soon because there's a new ground coming on stream shortly.

What's the story with that, I heard it was going to be the ground currently used by the rugby crowd? :confused: That would surely need alot of improvements to get it upto scratch, or are you building another ground in a completley different location?

pineapple stu
24/08/2005, 12:54 PM
Yep, the Belfield Bowl.

Recent visitors to Belfield Park will have noticed a lot of construction work going on - that's new apartment blocks, which will eventually be built on Belfield Park as well. The college are moving us to the Bowl and improving the ground there to at least minimum UEFA requirements. The problem is that this has been in the works for a few years now, and in the meantime, there's no point us doing anything to improve Belfield Park (a new stand on the hill was planned and money was being raised a couple of years back). There's mixed views on the move, to be honest, mainly because it's a rugby pitch...

Slash/ED
24/08/2005, 12:57 PM
Yeah, as an outsider I'd see that as a poor move for UCD AFC but if they're building apartments there's not alot you can do I suppose.

I suppose though it is a slightly better location and less out of the way in campus iirc, so that could help.

pineapple stu
24/08/2005, 12:59 PM
It's right by the Sports Centre and the new astro pitches, so not a bad location college-wise. Of course, that ignores the fact that none of the students bother to go to games anyway!

sadloserkid
24/08/2005, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately, and somewhat embarrassingly, that was a different club administration entirely,

But aren't two of those different club administration entirely helping out once more? :confused: Or else the guy who reads out the teams has stolen the voice he uses...

OneRedArmy
24/08/2005, 1:06 PM
I propose Dundalk as a neutral venue

Much easier to get to from Derry than Longford, handy from Dublin. Furthermore good PR for their new pitch etc etc

I think I proposed it, you're seconding it :p

As a traditionalist, I agree with NY Hoop that cup finals should be played at neutral venues. I don't agree with playing it in Longford though.

Dundalk (or Monaghan) would be ideal, meaning a journey time of less than 2 hours for both sets of supporters.

It would also be good visibility for the new pitch in Dundalk.

bigmac
24/08/2005, 1:09 PM
Yeah, as an outsider I'd see that as a poor move for UCD AFC but if they're building apartments there's not alot you can do I suppose.

I suppose though it is a slightly better location and less out of the way in campus iirc, so that could help.

Nothing to do with the club I'd imagine. Probably all down to the college trying to maximise the land they have. Only 3 years ago they wanted to turn the athletics track into a big car park. They seem to want to cut down sporting facilities to the bare minimum and create apartments everywhere so they can make some money.

EnDai
24/08/2005, 1:09 PM
It's right by the Sports Centre and the new astro pitches, so not a bad location college-wise. Of course, that ignores the fact that none of the students bother to go to games anyway!

It's a great location, but as said, not many students go to games. Especially on a Friday evening, most are either in town or heading back home to wherever they're from!

Slash/ED
24/08/2005, 1:12 PM
It's a great location, but as said, not many students go to games. Especially on a Friday evening, most are either in town or heading back home to wherever they're from!

Yeah but it'll make the football team more visible I suppose. Never once did I venture near the stadium as a student in my time at UCD, if I wasn't a Shels supporter already I wouldn't even know where it was (and would certinaly have never laid eyes on it) and barely know if UCD has a team. Having it in the public eye in UCD could help at least a little bit, it's the quality of the stadium I'd be worried about.

pineapple stu
24/08/2005, 1:21 PM
Nothing to do with the club I'd imagine. Probably all down to the college trying to maximise the land they have. Only 3 years ago they wanted to turn the athletics track into a big car park. They seem to want to cut down sporting facilities to the bare minimum and create apartments everywhere so they can make some money.
Pretty much spot on.

if I wasn't a Shels supporter already
That's exactly why I'm not too worried about making the ground more visible ot the students! The first time I was ever there was training for the Superleague selection team, and I had to get directions!

It's the quality of the stadium I'd be worried about.
I'm not too worried about that. The College can build some good facilities when they want - just look at the hockey pitch for example (international arena hosting European Championships). The gym is apparently one of the biggest in the country, the Sports Centre facilities are great, etc., etc. Granted, football is a bigger sport and will draw bigger crowds than all that, but the college can get a decent little ground together if they want.

holidaysong
24/08/2005, 7:45 PM
I think I proposed it, you're seconding it :p

As a traditionalist, I agree with NY Hoop that cup finals should be played at neutral venues. I don't agree with playing it in Longford though.

Dundalk (or Monaghan) would be ideal, meaning a journey time of less than 2 hours for both sets of supporters.

It would also be good visibility for the new pitch in Dundalk.

Splendid idea. :)

superfrank
24/08/2005, 7:47 PM
Monaghan? How big is Century Homes Park anyway?

Conor H
24/08/2005, 10:21 PM
Monaghan? How big is Century Homes Park anyway? :eek:
Monaghan is not an option at all.It has one small stand(around 200 seats) and the rest of the pitch is surrounded by hills and cows.The cows outnumber the fans.It would be a disgrace to hold any type of final in Monaghan.

Rebal Boy
24/08/2005, 10:32 PM
I'd say Dundalk or Drogheda would be the best place for that match. That way no team would have home advantage. Hope U.C.D win it.

Student Mullet
24/08/2005, 11:19 PM
:eek:
Monaghan is not an option at all.It has one small stand(around 200 seats) and the rest of the pitch is surrounded by hills and cows.The cows outnumber the fans.It would be a disgrace to hold any type of final in Monaghan.
Nice bar though.

garykelly
24/08/2005, 11:24 PM
whats all this about a draw to find out who at home ? talk about belittling the competition. whats the point in even having it if this is the distain being levelled at this trophy. if its not two legs then it should be in a neutral venue.

Carlsberg dont run football leagues, but i wish to f***k they did :p

superfrank
25/08/2005, 11:41 AM
:eek:
It wasn't my idea. OneRedArmt suggested it. I was genuinely astounded by the suggestion!