PDA

View Full Version : Foley's Bohs contract terminated

Pages : [1] 2

jorge
23/08/2005, 7:12 PM
Following discussions at a Tribunal today, Dominic Foley made it clear that he would not be able play for Bohemian FC again.

Bohemian Football Club can confirm that Dominic Foley's contract has been terminated without admission of liability by either party.

Where will he go from here?

chippie0001
23/08/2005, 7:14 PM
Following discussions at a Tribunal today, Dominic Foley made it clear that he would not be able play for Bohemian FC again.

Bohemian Football Club can confirm that Dominic Foley's contract has been terminated without admission of liability by either party.

Where will he go from here?

Gent or Drogheda depending on what rumour you listen to.

superfrank
23/08/2005, 7:18 PM
You think Cork or Shels might be interested?

shedite
23/08/2005, 7:33 PM
Would be a great signing for City. can he sign for anyone though now that the transfer window's closed? Or would he be a free agent.

chippie0001
23/08/2005, 7:36 PM
Would be a great signing for City. can he sign for anyone though now that the transfer window's closed? Or would he be a free agent.
He is a free agent and can sign for anyone now. He knows exactly where he is going, would not have done this otherwise. I really hope he signs for another league club, I doubt he will get out of Dalymount alive.

pineapple stu
23/08/2005, 7:39 PM
Were there not laws brought in around the time of the abolition of transfer fees which prevented players from doing this kind of thing without getting a ban or paying up their own contract or something? Or is this different because he's owed a goal bonus?

CollegeTillIDie
23/08/2005, 7:39 PM
The Eircom League is a very small world. He may not ever get a contract with anyone else back here ever again :eek:

Munchie
23/08/2005, 8:05 PM
i cant believe hes done this! i always had faith in foley when he wasn't doing well. and bohs were the club that gave him a chance when he was going through a bad patch! 1 goal in 9 months he got for us and still he got first team football. now that he got some form back he thinks he's to good to play for bohs(thats actually what he said in dressing room before bray game) and that he's too good for the league! my arse! once he's doin well he doesn't give a **** about the club! im very disappointed! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

OneRedArmy
23/08/2005, 8:20 PM
I'm not trying to stir it up here, but, for those of you who work, and you hadn't been paid a bonus you were supposed to get 9 months ago (or whatever it was), would you exercise a similar get out clause if you knew someone else was looking to employ you?
I probably would and I'd say a fair percentage of you all would.

This is part and parcel of professionalism. Players are increasingly not from the local area of the club and have no real loyalty, its only a job to them.

He wanted out and Bohs gave him the option of a quick exit by being unprofessional in not paying his bonus.

Unfortunately things like this are going to become more common going forward if wages keep increasing in domestic football like they have over the last 5 years.

Whichever is his next club might want to bear this in mind before they give him a fat contract to sign.

ThatGuy
23/08/2005, 8:45 PM
The man thinks he was "doing us a favour" by playing for us. Don't do us any more favours, Foley.

student
23/08/2005, 8:52 PM
I'm not trying to stir it up here, but, for those of you who work, and you hadn't been paid a bonus you were supposed to get 9 months ago (or whatever it was), would you exercise a similar get out clause if you knew someone else was looking to employ you?

This is part and parcel of professionalism. Players are increasingly not from the local area of the club and have no real loyalty, its only a job to them.

He wanted out and Bohs gave him the option of a quick exit by being unprofessional in not paying his bonus.

Unfortunately things like this are going to become more common going forward if wages keep increasing in domestic football like they have over the last 5 years.

Whichever is his next club might want to bear this in mind before they give him a fat contract to sign.

My sentiments exactly.... Well said!!!

A face
23/08/2005, 10:26 PM

Alot of City fans give out about not going further a field for players or going in for the big names .... but this is exaxtly where it is wise not to. Most of the players at City in the last few years, all play for the jersey ... they are local and give it all for the club and it shows. Maybe we dont get big profile players but i prefer the way it is. Loyality is everything.

Foley wasn't rated when he came on the scene first and fair paly to Bohs for sticking by him ..... But the guy has just done a big jobbie on his own door step .... no eL club in their right mind would touch him now (i hope he doesn't come to us in the next few day now :p ) ..... the guy had a goal scoring clause and he didn't score in 9 months .... sorry now but it think that is pushing the boat out just a tad too far, no matter what was on paper.

jagman
24/08/2005, 12:51 AM
foley in my opinion is the lowest of the low,either hes very stupid or he has had another club lined up and has been looking for a way out of the club.

he was the worst striker i have ever seen play for bohs(no exaggeration) for 9 months,the club stuck by him though,he was getting regular 1st team football for the first time in his career and eventually he began to show some form,then he goes and does this.

the chap must have a screw loose. :confused:

Wiseguy
24/08/2005, 9:16 AM
It was a very lousy thing to do alright and i don't know the complete story about it but if Bohs did screw him around on some money owed they should have expected something of this nature to happen.On the other hand Gareth Farrelly stood by him for 9 months while he wasn't scoring Foley shouldn't have forgotten that and stayed around until the end of the season at least.

Roo69
24/08/2005, 9:39 AM
He is a free agent and can sign for anyone now. He knows exactly where he is going, would not have done this otherwise. I really hope he signs for another league club, I doubt he will get out of Dalymount alive.

Did Bohs pay him the money he was owed ?

dcfcsteve
24/08/2005, 10:09 AM
The Eircom League is a very small world. He may not ever get a contract with anyone else back here ever again :eek:

I'm not so sure. Clubs here seem very low on sense at times. Shels would probably take him, and are in need of new blood at the team. He's out of their league (literally....) but I'm sure Continuity Home Farm would take him.

pete
24/08/2005, 10:12 AM
Did Bohs pay him the money he was owed ?

I presume they didn't - no point paying him if hes going to leave anyway.

Anyone know what kind of monies Foley owed?

Roo69
24/08/2005, 10:16 AM

I dont know the full story but from what ive been told it's been owed to him since when he 1st signed ! which if true is bang out of order by Bohs, Foley has every right to be annoyed with them

EnDai
24/08/2005, 10:25 AM

€14,000 says the Star.

Peadar
24/08/2005, 10:27 AM
I'm not so sure. Clubs here seem very low on sense at times.

You bet your bottom dollar another eL club would sign him.
In the same way that Reynolds has signed for so many clubs and in the same way that another club would give Fenlon a job.
The league "family" is small and they're big into recycling.

Dyl10
24/08/2005, 10:33 AM
€14,000 says the Star.

Thats quite a bit of money, its no wonder he's ****ed!

wws
24/08/2005, 10:45 AM
would another el club sign - course they would!!! in a flash!

pats will make a signing in the next week as stated on their website - so it could well be foley - on a "til the end of the season" basis - he's at a loose end - we get another striking option for a few games, could be mutually beneficial and would make the re fixed bohs pats game a MUST SEE! :D

Roo69
24/08/2005, 10:54 AM
€14,000 says the Star.

Well if that is true then i think he has every fcuking right to do what he did ! would anyone on this board still work for there company if they were owed 14k ? i highly doubt it.

And Bohs fans have the neckl to slag off other clubs for them not paying money that is owed....... :rolleyes:

jorge
24/08/2005, 11:10 AM
I would'nt be suprised if he goes up North becase i doubt he'll go to england and i dont know which EL team would take him.

WeAreRovers
24/08/2005, 11:20 AM
would another el club sign - course they would!!! in a flash!

pats will make a signing in the next week as stated on their website - so it could well be foley - on a "til the end of the season" basis - he's at a loose end - we get another striking option for a few games, could be mutually beneficial and would make the re fixed bohs pats game a MUST SEE! :D

Considering Pats couldn't afford Sparky's wages (thank Christ!) I doubt that you'll be in for Foley. Unless B O'B has won the lotto.

KOH

wws
24/08/2005, 11:26 AM
Considering Pats couldn't afford Sparky's wages (thank Christ!) I doubt that you'll be in for Foley. Unless B O'B has won the lotto.

KOH

not saying we are in for him - but we're signing someone this week - has to be a free agent - foley is one recent free agent
in his circumstances he wont be in a position to bargain for the wages (and signing on fees) he was on with bohs - he can sign for a club til seasons end - and it wont be crazy money - for whoever gets him

Danny
24/08/2005, 11:28 AM

WAR - from what i heard it was more a case of would not pay the wages rutherford (and flemming) wanted rather than could not.

IMO Foley would be a waste of money. We probably wont be relegated with what we have now and he is cup tied so cant see what use he'd be to us. Better off saving the money til end of season or spend it on someone who can play in the cup

Poor Student
24/08/2005, 11:28 AM
If he has somewhere in mind to go does that not mean he's been illegally tapped seeming as his contract only expired today?

bohs til i die
24/08/2005, 11:45 AM

nobody is disputing that the Bohs board fukked up but Foley agreed 4 weeks ago to wait until September 1st for his money, but changed his mind 2 weeks ago.

If he prepared to wait 10 months, why not another 2/3 weeks? Unless he had something lined up. If he signs a contract with Pats until the end of the season then he is a typical thick footballer.

WeAreRovers
24/08/2005, 11:45 AM
WAR - from what i heard it was more a case of would not pay the wages rutherford (and flemming) wanted rather than could not.

IMO Foley would be a waste of money. We probably wont be relegated with what we have now and he is cup tied so cant see what use he'd be to us. Better off saving the money til end of season or spend it on someone who can play in the cup

Could not or would not - either way Foley's going to be looking for more than Sparky. So he won't be going to Pats.

But, if he does, being cup-tied won't matter. It's St. Pats for Chrissakes. ;)

KOH

Slash/ED
24/08/2005, 12:05 PM
Can Foley sign for another EL club? The window has closed, and I thought you could only sign free agents if they were free agents before the window closed. Otherwise you could just pay clubs their transfer fee and have them 'mutually agree' to terminate some players contract and then you sign him on a free, it'd make the transfer window a bit pointless.

And there's more chance of me signing for Shels than him, at least I feckin' hope so...

pineapple stu
24/08/2005, 12:32 PM
€14,000 says the Star.
How reliable is that tough - have you seen their attendance guesstimates?! :eek:

If it is true, though, it makes Foley's actions a lot easier to understand, without making him blameless.

KK77
24/08/2005, 12:35 PM
Think you'll all find is off to Ghent in Belgium which has been a rumour for some time.

Troy.McClure
24/08/2005, 1:55 PM
Id welcome him back to Cork... to play for the Ramblers! If Bohz managed to keep that €14k than thats great for them. The €1,800 A WEEK! he was on was a total rip off, they could get someone like Gary O'Neil for half that who would score twice the amount of goals.

Foley has a committment phobia, let him feck off and learn flemish now :mad:

sullanefc
24/08/2005, 2:04 PM
I never rated the man and I couldn't believe it when some Cork City Fans were dissapointed when we lost out to Bohs when trying to sign the player. I'm so glad we didn't now. Bohs have wasted a fortune on this player. I've I was a Bohs fan I'd be saying good riddance.

I wouldn't be surprised if he signed for another EL club cos some of the chairmen and managers in this league are thick stupid.

pete
24/08/2005, 2:10 PM
I don't like the comments Foley comes out with but if he was owed 14k for 10 months then hes entitled to change his mind & leave if he wants to. Bohs should not have signed him if couldn't afford him.

bohs til i die
24/08/2005, 2:20 PM
I don't like the comments Foley comes out with but if he was owed 14k for 10 months then hes entitled to change his mind & leave if he wants to. Bohs should not have signed him if couldn't afford him.

but he was given a cheque, dated September 1st, when money due to Bohs for the Shopping Centre land deal will be forthcoming.

He waited 10 months, so why terminate his contract when all he had to do was sit tight for 3 more weeks?

CollegeTillIDie
24/08/2005, 9:27 PM
foley in my opinion is the lowest of the low,either hes very stupid or he has had another club lined up and has been looking for a way out of the club.

he was the worst striker i have ever seen play for bohs(no exaggeration) for 9 months,the club stuck by him though,he was getting regular 1st team football for the first time in his career and eventually he began to show some form,then he goes and does this.

the chap must have a screw loose. :confused:

No he's from Cork just like Roy Keane..... :D

Dyl10
24/08/2005, 9:35 PM
No he's from Cork

Ah that explains it! I new there must be something wrong with him. :D :D :D

wws
25/08/2005, 11:12 AM
Quote:

Meanwhile, former Irish international Dominic Foley, who had his contract at Bohermians terminated by mutual consent on Tuesday, flies to Belgium today for talks with Ghent.

Foley is understood to have been offered a lucrative two-year contract by the Belgian club.

According to his agent Eamonn McLaughlin, several cross channel clubs have also expressed an interest in the Corkman.

indo

pineapple stu
25/08/2005, 12:30 PM
According to his agent Eamonn McLaughlin, several cross channel clubs have also expressed an interest in the Corkman.
:eek:

Good to see former UCD players doing well for themselves!

Vitruvian Man
25/08/2005, 12:44 PM
I hear it is being reported on the Gent website that Foley is about to sign for them.

1: The Bohs board are dopes. They signed the guy on a contract we couldn't afford then strang him along for a few months not paying his signing fee. Then, then when he had turned the tables on them, publicly offered to suck his c0ck to get him to stay. They have covered themselves in sh!t over this one.

2: Foley is a snake - the lowest kind of professional footballer. He always considered the EL to be beneath him and didn't put the effort in for about nine months - thus robbing his wage. Then as soon as anybody else showed any interest in him he moved heaven and earth to get out of his contract. Reneged on his agreement to accept a deferred payment and went on strike during a crucial injury crisis. Absolute disdain for the club, the fans, and to a lesser extent, everybody who is involved in Irish football.

3: It is also rumoured that ex-chairman of the eircom league Brendan Dillon acted as Foleys advisor on this and guided him through the labour court proceedings and the tecnicalities of weaseling out of his contract. There's a real Irish football man if ever I saw one.

pineapple stu
25/08/2005, 12:56 PM
3: It is also rumoured that ex-chairman of the eircom league Brendan Dillon acted as Foley's advisor on this and guided him through the labour court proceedings and the tecnicalities of weaseling out of his contract. There's a real Irish football man if ever I saw one.
Meh - he's a lawyer first and foremost; that's his job, unfortunately. If he hadn't have done it (if indeed he did), someone else would. I'd be more worried about looking at why Bohs put themselves in a position to be breaking the law like that than worrying about the people who merely advised when the law was being broken.

wws
25/08/2005, 1:00 PM
i really hate the "el brigade" with their "go on, do it for the sake of Irish Football" mentality!

he's a professional footballer, his job is to make as much money from the game as possible in the short time span in which a professional football career exists
- if bohs renaged on a contractual obligation and the opportunity arose for him than to void that contract and get paid better elsewhere - it REALLY IS A TOTAL NO BRAINER

and if he does sign for Gent I'd say the sign on fee alone would make it totally a sensible decision for the lad - we watch football for entertainment and a love and loyalty to certian clubs - they play football to earn money to live

Vitruvian Man
25/08/2005, 1:08 PM
While I agree with everything you are saying wws I will point out that you are only being philisophical about it because it didn't happen to you.

I'm a football fan and my club got shafted - if I want to come on here and call all concerned cnuts, then that's my perogative.

All concerned are cnuts.

FACT.

wws
25/08/2005, 1:11 PM
While I agree with everything you are saying wws I will point out that you are only being philisophical about it because it didn't happen to you.

I'm a football fan and my club got shafted - if I want to come on here and call all concerned cnuts, then that's my perogative.

All concerned are cnuts.

FACT.

oh yeah accepted! fully. but to say things like "other el clubs wouldnt touch him now!" etc as was on this board is naieve. football players once they leave other teams with a few small exceptions are always cnuts

WeAreRovers
25/08/2005, 1:40 PM
As a matter of interest, how many times have Bohs been to court or arbitration with employees in recent years? Foley and Kenny at least and I think there's more. Not very clever for a club run by a solicitor.

KOH

Dyl10
25/08/2005, 1:56 PM
i really hate the "el brigade" with their "go on, do it for the sake of Irish Football" mentality!

Thats not the issue, the point is Bohs gave him a job and alot of money, they stuck by him even when they weren't getting the rewards that the money they were paying him should have been providing him. Then he shows a bit of good form and finally it seems as though his signing was going to pay off and he goes and does a legger on them!
So I think it is a matter of loyalty and himself as a man that is being questioned

OneRedArmy
25/08/2005, 2:09 PM
Foley was technically well within his rights, but is morally bankrupt given the inept efforts he delivered for much of his sojourn.

Any EL Chairman who has a shred of sense wouldn't go near him on his on the field record alone.

wws
25/08/2005, 2:37 PM
those two posts above are not right
bohs hired this guy and agreed a year on year signing on fee
it was their planning from teh start that was flawed

foleys form is irrelevant - thats football - a mere incidental