PDA

View Full Version : Des Byrnes horror tackle

Pages : [1] 2

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 8:44 AM
Saw it last night.........sweet lord jesus....even I don't blame the little jack in the box and his sidekick John Gilligan for reacting like they did to that one. Could have ended Hearys career with that 'tackle'.

Sheridan
23/08/2005, 8:53 AM
Collins actually showed remarkable restraint (literally - if he hadn't held Fenlon back as he did, things could have turned uglier still) for once. Byrne's offence definitely warrants a 6-10 (using that scumbag McDonagh's ref-jostling sanction as a barometer) match ban and a fine of unprecedented severity. The "tackle" was not just over the ball, it was practically over the balls. :eek:

EnDai
23/08/2005, 9:02 AM
It was horrific. I don't see why the Bohs bench decided to start trying to have a go at Nutsy though... :rolleyes: He didn't bully the ref into the red card, or did they expect Nutsy to go to the ref and calmly ask him to reverse his decision? :D

Need a hefty ban and severe fine for that. Potentially career ending, hell, the ball had pretty much gone past Byrne when he leapt! There was no attempt to play the ball, if that wasn't on a field of sporting play (heh) that would have been classed as assault.

Slash/ED
23/08/2005, 9:03 AM
It's a tackle that if a Shels player had made there would be closing in on 10 threads on it already by now.

Horror tackle, if I was a Bohs fan I'd be fuming with him. He was never getting away with it.

bohs til i die
23/08/2005, 9:06 AM
Read the Bohs MB, Bohs fans aren’t exactly overly happy about it, and the Bohs bench had every right to have a go at Nutsy etc. The ref had issued the red card and Fenlon was still giving out. I seem to remember Glen Fitzpatrick injure Stephen Ward with a similar tackle last October in Dalymount and Fenlon wasn’t overly upset about one of our players being injured.

EnDai
23/08/2005, 9:14 AM
On that one incident, I agree with you.

However Nutsy has had far too much to say about Bohs, the pitch (have you heard Garreth Farrelly saying Shels should be fined for the ****e state of their pitch at the moment?), the board of directors, the fans etc etc, have all been targets for him to take a pot shot at in the media. This week when Cuffe took a swipe back has been a rare retaliation on our behalf.

As I said, I am sorry the Shels bench didn't knock the shi.te out of the fu.cker but in general we are getting tired with Ollie and Nutsy's continual swipes and comments regarding our club. It would serve them better to start concentrating on why their squad of richly paid Galacticos has crashed like a lead zeppelin, now that is a subject the public would really like to hear from them on and no doubt something which they should be able to speak of with more authority than the affairs of Bohemian FC.

I'm not a fan of any of this petty mouthing off, but what can you do. Just in the context of the game, I can't imagine the Bohs bench were yelling at Nutsy about what he's said recently, it was all about the tackle.

Funnily enough, Nutsy seemingly defended Bohs over the vandalism in Tolka recently. :)

As a Shelbourne fan, I agree with you though, I'd much rather see our lads stay quiet and grind out better results. But nowt I can do about it! :)

Dodge
23/08/2005, 9:16 AM
Speaking as a Bohs fan, I am sorry that the Shels bench didn't kick the living s.hite out of him. The guy is a moron, sorry we ever signed him because apart from the fact that he is a thick, he is a sh.ite footballer too.
Dessie’s not thick, and he’s certainly not a bad player. It seems he’ll join the huge list of players who performed for Pats and nowhere else. Was bitterly disappointed to see him go but we’ve a better left full now

Roo69
23/08/2005, 9:20 AM
Speaking as a Bohs fan, I am sorry that the Shels bench didn't kick the living s.hite out of him. The guy is a moron, sorry we ever signed him because apart from the fact that he is a thick, he is a sh.ite footballer too.

Dessie is far from being thick and a s*ite footballer in fairness.

It was a bad tackle and he was given his red card, He's left himself down and he's club down, he'll miss a few matches foir his troubles as well, end of story

Peadar
23/08/2005, 9:25 AM
It seems he’ll join the huge list of players who performed for Pats and nowhere else.

It's easier for players to "perform" where the expectations are lower.

For me, it's a sure sure sign that a player is past it when he is making late tackles like that. Shows he has little else left to offer the game.

Peadar
23/08/2005, 9:29 AM
Could say the same for a certain striker ??

Leave Glen Crowe out of this.

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 9:30 AM
Fenlon really wasn't that bad in his interview last night...he could have been nastier and actually said he had a lot of time for Bohs, but pinpointed the 'element' that need to be dealt with within their support.

Sadly Mr. Fenlon, when it comes to the 'element' within Shelbourne is not within the support; it is Messrs Ollie Byrne, Pat Fenlon and Eamonn Collins.

People in glass houses and all that... :mad:

Slash/ED
23/08/2005, 9:33 AM
I think maybe he was just making the point that breaking into grounds*, threatening players over the phone* and throwing stuff onto the pitch causing the game to be held up isn't exactly the behaviour of decent supporters and was backing up the players involved with his post match interview.

*Not that they care about the players who left. Oh no. Wouldn't even have them back in fact. They were glad they left in the end really.

wws
23/08/2005, 9:34 AM
"horrific tackle" that left Heary unable to stand on his feet later in the game when he had to "dive" to the ground to "win" a penalty.......whats teh greater offence?????

for me heary every time - cost Bohs at least a deserved point by out and out cheating - Dessie just went in full blooded on a player who can dish it out and take it in equal measure - and who was up instantly unscathed

the only bad thing about the challenge was that it wasnt on Rogers

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 9:45 AM
"horrific tackle" that left Heary unable to stand on his feet later in the game when he had to "dive" to the ground to "win" a penalty.......whats teh greater offence?????

Dessie just went in full blooded on a player who can dish it out and take it in equal measure - and who was up instantly unscathed

the only bad thing about the challenge was that it wasnt on Rogers

I presume you are just stirring it up with this, and aren't actually justifying that tackle. If you're not, then you're an idiot-plain and simple.

wws
23/08/2005, 9:50 AM
I presume you are just stirring it up with this, and aren't actually justifying that tackle. If you're not, then you're an idiot-plain and simple.

what????

the tackle did no damage whatsover - one of teh "looked worse than it was" variety - how is it "horrific"??????????

heary cheating for a penalty is blatant, Dessie was over zealous ona player who deserved it. Plain and simple. Idiot

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 10:06 AM
what????

the tackle did no damage whatsover - one of teh "looked worse than it was" variety - how is it "horrific"??????????

heary cheating for a penalty is blatant, Dessie was over zealous ona player who deserved it. Plain and simple. Idiot

Damage or not, the intent was there to seriously injure the player. He woulldn't have went in like that otherwise.And it didn't look worse than it was, it looked exactly what it was-a cowardly attempt to seriously hurt someone who wasn't expecting such a crude challenge.

Cheating for a penalty does not have the potential to end your career-never can, never will, and to say that any player deserves to be assaulted like that says a lot about you and your outlook on the game. I sincerely hope that you never get the opportunity to or have the inclination to coach under age football with that attitude.

Dodge
23/08/2005, 10:13 AM
Damage or not, the intent was there to seriously injure the player. He woulldn't have went in like that otherwise.And it didn't look worse than it was, it looked exactly what it was-a cowardly attempt to seriously hurt someone who wasn't expecting such a crude challenge.

Cheating for a penalty does not have the potential to end your career-never can, never will, and to say that any player deserves to be assaulted like that says a lot about you and your outlook on the game. I sincerely hope that you never get the opportunity to or have the inclination to coach under age football with that attitude.
Have you ever seen Dessie play? He goes into every tackle full blooded. I have no doubt that he had no intention of injuring Heary. (and I have as much right to comment on his iuntentions as you...) It was a bad challenge but more stupid thatn malicious. He got a deserved red card, heary got up totally unscathed. End of story surely

wws
23/08/2005, 10:16 AM
"Damage or not, the intent was there to seriously injure the player."

Unless you are Dessie Byrne that point doesn't stand up in any meaningful way - that's your impression of tv evidence (i dunno if you were at the game)

"He woulldn't have went in like that otherwise."
Yeah - he'd stand off him ???? Unlikely. Thats his job to go in and challenge for the ball - on this occasion he went in and missed - it happens in football.

"And it didn't look worse than it was, it looked exactly what it was-a cowardly attempt to seriously hurt someone who wasn't expecting such a crude challenge." - as per first reply is my response to that.

So Hearys career was "potentially over"
well it isn't - he was totally unscathed - the ref sent off byrne immediately and he will face at least a one game ban - probably more - more than sufficient and hardly worth playing the outraged moral card.

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 10:24 AM
I've no doubt that Des Byrne is a hard, committed player who gives it his all.But please, don't insult my intelligence by telling me that that tackle wasn't calculated, over the top, vicious and potentially career ending.

Please read, and understand the word potentially-I know Heary got up from it straight away, and all credit to him for doing so-but the tackle could have shattered his leg, plain and simple.

wws
23/08/2005, 10:29 AM
I've no doubt that Des Byrne is a hard, committed player who gives it his all.But please, don't insult my intelligence by telling me that that tackle wasn't calculated, over the top, vicious and potentially career ending.

Please read, and understand the word potentially-I know Heary got up from it straight away, and all credit to him for doing so-but the tackle could have shattered his leg, plain and simple.

just leaving aside the byrne thing - ANY tackle is potentially career ending - its a contact sport and when these guys are at full speed head on it aint easy to apply the brakes - some of the most horrific leg breaks have been caused by tackles that wernt even fouls

ive watched it a few times here on mpg and my read of it is both were goin full tilt in a tight spot - dessie ignored the ball and didnt want to give ground - as you dont in a tight derby game - he clatters into him as heary turns to protect himself

it was nasty, but I'll give Byrne the benefit of the doubt as I know the type of player he is which is a lot better than he has shown for bohs - which are a notoriously difficult club to join as their fans turn on their own players very quickly

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 10:32 AM
think we'll have to agree to differ on this one

drinkfeckarse
23/08/2005, 10:35 AM
Has anyone got a clip of it or can it viewed somewhere?? Would be interested to see it or at least a picture after all this fuss.....

Eire06
23/08/2005, 10:42 AM
it was nasty, but I'll give Byrne the benefit of the doubt as I know the type of player he is which is a lot better than he has shown for bohs - which are a notoriously difficult club to join as their fans turn on their own players very quickly

I wouldn't.
It was a terrible tackle, the ball was well gone. He had no intention in going for the ball, looked like he just wanted to take Heary out of the game..
At this level of football there is no excuse for that kind of challange.
Totally intentional IMO, went for the player and not the ball

Peadar
23/08/2005, 10:48 AM
www.bohemians.ie

Definitely not trying to win the ball!
No question, no doubt.
Actually looked like he was trying to hurdle the ball.

ThatGuy
23/08/2005, 10:53 AM
Dessie’s not thick
Well anyone who heard his interview outside of court after the John Terry/Jody Morris shenanigans on all the British news channels may disagree.

"I said that's a good dig..."

As for his footballing abilities, I haven't been impressed by him so far but hopefully he has more to offer. I think that James Keddy is a far superior option at left-full for the time-being.

As for Bohs fans being bad etc, I don;t defend any unsavoury element within our club, but for the record on leaving Tolka I was smacked in the face by a flag pole by some Shelbourne kid.

drinkfeckarse
23/08/2005, 10:58 AM
Cheers for that, didn't look to me like he was playing the ball although you could do with the camera being a bit closer.

Who was Hawkins directing that gesture at.. the Bohs fans???

Slash/ED
23/08/2005, 10:59 AM
Cheers for that, didn't look to me like he was playing the ball although you could do with the camera being a bit closer.

Yeah

It was a reference to the fact that numbers were handed out in Dalymount Park for the three ex Bohs players who were consistently on the recieving end of threatening phone calls from idiot Bohs fans as a result.

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 11:03 AM
It was a reference to the fact that numbers were handed out in Dalymount Park for the three ex Bohs players who were consistently on the recieving end of threatening phone calls from idiot Bohs fans as a result.

:eek: :eek:

BohDiddley
23/08/2005, 11:03 AM
No defending that tackle. Sheer madness, it hurt us more than it hurt Shels. Hilarious how some Pats fans are trying to assert that this is somehow a Bohs thing, as if he had come from some sublime haven of total football. I like Dessie: he has skill and gumption, but sometimes he lets the atmosphere get to him. Maybe it's just that Bohs games matter more ... :D
As for replacements, I thought Powell (U-21 who also did well against Pats) was just as good at left-back, and much, much better going forward. In any case, we have more important absentees to worry about.

Peadar
23/08/2005, 11:07 AM

Yeah, he was feeling a bit left out.
No one ever rings him. :D

wws
23/08/2005, 11:07 AM
Maybe it's just that Bohs games matter more ... :D

eh.....Byrne was sent off for Pats v Shels in tolka too - same sort of thing. We're sorted at left back - but Byrne didnt transfer to England all those years ago for 2.5 times the price of Doyle for no reason - his game HAS turned to sh.t since he joined bohs - i still reckon a good player - who could do a job for someone

and pats play far better football than bohs. end of. esp at u-21 level...Easy, Easy, Easy!

BohDiddley
23/08/2005, 11:22 AM
eh.....Byrne was sent off for Pats v Shels in tolka too - same sort of thing. We're sorted at left back - but Byrne didnt transfer to England all those years ago for 2.5 times the price of Doyle for no reason - his game HAS turned to sh.t since he joined bohs - i still reckon a good player - who could do a job for someone

and pats play far better football than bohs. end of. esp at u-21 level...Easy, Easy, Easy!
If he was being sent off for Pat's then why is it being suggested that this is a Bohs thing? Funny how Farrelly has succeeded in getting the most out of every other player in the squad, bar this special case whose game has mysteriously dipped.
Anyhoo, not worth arguing over at this stage. As I say, I think he has got some quality, but he'll need to show it more consistently if he wants to keep his place.

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 11:25 AM
- but Byrne didnt transfer to England all those years ago for 2.5 times the price of Doyle for no reason -

Explain please....

wws
23/08/2005, 11:25 AM
I dont really care cos we've got John Frost - who combines the best of both worlds - breaks people up ....... and gets away without a card!

the ideal

wws
23/08/2005, 11:26 AM
Explain please....

explain what?

Dodge
23/08/2005, 11:38 AM
Hilarious how some Pats fans are trying to assert that this is somehow a Bohs thing

Where did you see that? I just don't think it’s the worst tackle ever like some around here. Dessie is a top player (and getting paid accordingly) who's prone to the odd bit of madness.

Oh and he was acquitted of those charges in London on appeal. Not a lot of people know that....

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 11:56 AM
explain what?

You said he was transferred for more than 2.5 times what Doyle was. I can't remember him being transferred for €250,000....please explain.

wws
23/08/2005, 11:57 AM

to pats years ago

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 12:00 PM
from Pats to who??

drinkfeckarse
23/08/2005, 12:08 PM
Was it Wimbledon?

Peadar
23/08/2005, 12:10 PM

to pats years ago

Your sums are all wrong because Doyle went for around €110,000 but Byrne was sold for Punts, if I'm not mistaken.

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 12:15 PM
I also thought that Byrne was at Stockport County as a schoolboy. He went there from Cherry Orchard, and certainly was a Stockport player when playing under 18 for Ireland under Brian Kerr. Wimbledon and Carlisle were his other english clubs.

So...did he come home from Stockport, and get transferred to Wimbledon, or was it Carlisle that paid out that much dosh..Seeing as Roddy was gaffer at the time, and his judgement... ;)

Dodge
23/08/2005, 12:21 PM
I also thought that Byrne was at Stockport County as a schoolboy. He went there from Cherry Orchard, and certainly was a Stockport player when playing under 18 for Ireland under Brian Kerr. Wimbledon and Carlisle were his other english clubs.

So...did he come home from Stockport, and get transferred to Wimbledon, or was it Carlisle that paid out that much dosh..Seeing as Roddy was gaffer at the time, and his judgement... ;)
Was at Stockport, came back to Pats. Played for the Ireland u18s as a Pats player and was sold to Wimbledon in the summer of 2001 for GB£100,000. Wimbledon loaned him out to Carlisle shortly aftera dn he eventually came back to pats last season, signing for Bohs in the off season.

wws
23/08/2005, 12:24 PM
sold to wimbledon from pats - July 24, 2000

Starred at u16 and u18 level for Ireland. He was with Stockport until 1999 when he was sacked
St. Patrick's Athletic stepped in and offered him a contract which got him back on the straight and narrow and ultimately led to a move back across the water.

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 12:43 PM
Who at Pats engineered that masterstroke??

Great business, bringing him home for free, straightening him out, and then flogging him for a big profit.

BohsFans
23/08/2005, 4:19 PM
The guy is a liability!

I think I'd be right in saying he's been booked in every game he's played this season!

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 9:01 PM
sometimes you can be just unlucky....we had a player sent off three times already this season.

TonyD
23/08/2005, 9:14 PM
It's easier for players to "perform" where the expectations are lower.

Ha Ha. I hardly think you're qualified to comment on what the expectations of Pats fans are, do you ? For the record, our expectations are pretty high, (current shtty form notwithstanding, before you point it out) it goes with being the most successful club of the nineties. If you ever win 3 out of 4 league titles you might have some idea. :p

Anyway, on the main point, Dessie was always class for Pats.

joeSoap
24/08/2005, 8:43 AM
Maybe the 'hard done by' Mr Byrne is not so hard done by after all.

I checked his records and he has been sent off now whilst playing for Stockport, Carlisle, Wimbledon, and Bohs. Maybe the Pats fans can enlighten us as to whether this ever happened at Inchicore??

He also has been red carded twice during International under age tournaments.

Its getting harder to make excuses for someojne with a record like that.

Dodge
24/08/2005, 11:08 AM
So in 7 or so years he's been sent off how many times? He's a defender ffs

How many times has Viera or Keane been sent off as midfielders?

Get over it FFS