PDA

View Full Version : We're in the League Cup Final!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Poor Student
22/08/2005, 9:04 PM
I think I am entitled to be excited given the brand new importance this competition has undertaken since this afternoon. One game away from the Setanta Cup! Linfield and Glens are quaking in their boots. ;) I had an exciting 5 minutes with aertel (never thought I'd say that). After the game was over it showed Shels were winning 1-0 with a Hawkins 86th min goal. A refresh later and it showed we'd equalised. Another one and we'd taken the lead in the 92nd minute. I assumed it was extra time. Another one showed it was a final result! I hope it was an U-21 team against their seniors. :D

dancinpants
22/08/2005, 9:15 PM
Excellent result for yis lads, congratulations. Hopefully we'll be joinin' ye in the final!!

RonnieB
22/08/2005, 9:17 PM
Well done, when I saw 1-0 to shels I nearly fell from the seat when I checked again and saw 1-2!

Dodge
22/08/2005, 9:53 PM
First time UCD has made me happy.... :D

saints alive
22/08/2005, 10:07 PM
well done pete mahon doing a super job at u.c.d. What kind of a team had shels got out. :cool: :cool:

student
22/08/2005, 11:07 PM
Brilliant :) :)

Réiteoir
22/08/2005, 11:31 PM
Well done lads - well deserved!

Good luck in the Final!

EnDai
23/08/2005, 8:16 AM
Good game lads. On the basis of last night, Shelbourne wouldn 't have deserved to have gone through.

Two defensive errors for your goals, caused by lack of concentration. All night, not a single player seemed to give a damn. Infuriating.

Best of luck in the final, I for one am rooting to see ye in the Setanta Cup! :D

Aberdonian Stu
23/08/2005, 8:29 AM
What a fantastic result!!!

Absolutley thrilled, I think we did about three minutes worth of Pete Mahon's blue and drunk army after the final whistle.

joeSoap
23/08/2005, 8:36 AM
well done...you now have the chance of joining the list of great sides to have won this competition since the turn of the century.... ;) :D

Schumi
23/08/2005, 11:16 AM
I nearly cared towards the end. :D

In fairness had it not been for the finish, it would have been a really boring match. As someone said above, the players didn't seem to care too much. Shels had a full strength team out (no game this weekend anyway) and we had a few changes from the Rovers game: Quigley; Mahon, O'Donnell, Shorthall, McNally; Gannon, McWalter, McDonnell, Dicker; Dupuy (someone!), Harte (Martin).

Robbie's winner was great. He took about a minute to put the ball in after rounding the keeper. :D

student
23/08/2005, 11:41 AM
It would seem Pineapple is still in shock from last night so there is a link to an extensive report on the match below for anyone interested.

www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=3448

hoops1
23/08/2005, 12:07 PM
Lads dont forget to start the cheering for Derry
as if they win you are in the Setanta cup either way
as Derry will get in by finishing second!

Poor Student
23/08/2005, 12:13 PM
Lads dont forget to start the cheering for Derry
as if they win you are in the Setanta cup either way
as Derry will get in by finishing second!

To the best of my knowledge that's wrong. If Derry win today and win the final we get feck all and 3rd place in the league gets into the Setanta. Possibly Shels in fact.

Roo69
23/08/2005, 12:14 PM
Delighted for ya's lads ! fair play :)

Schumi
23/08/2005, 12:16 PM
To the best of my knowledge that's wrong. If Derry win today and win the final we get feck all and 3rd place in the league gets into the Setanta. Possibly Shels in fact.
That's my understanding too so I'm hoping Longford win and Shels don't get into the Setanta. If I'm wrong then come on Derry! :D

Poor Student
23/08/2005, 12:22 PM
That's my understanding too so I'm hoping Longford win and Shels don't get into the Setanta. If I'm wrong then come on Derry! :D

There's also the problem of the final most likely being held in either the Brandywell or Flansiro. It's not going to be an enticing prospect making your way to Derry on a week day. The plus side of Longford winning is an easier opponent, closer game and no Shels in Setanta. Negative is that cup finals are their turf. Only positive of Derry winning is that there's a minute possibility it means we qualify but I'm 99% certain the rules state we won't or surely will be made to be that way by the time they get around to announcing details.

pineapple stu
23/08/2005, 12:27 PM
It would seem Pineapple is still in shock from last night so there is a link to an extensive report on the match below for anyone interested.

www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=3448
Yeah, but of a late night last night! In the bar in Tolka till 12:30 or thereabouts. :) Will put up a report later today, though that link is a very good report alright. Love the picture of the players celebrating!

Poor Student
23/08/2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, but of a late night last night! In the bar in Tolka till 12:30 or thereabouts. :) Will put up a report later today, though that link is a very good report alright. Love the picture of the players celebrating!

I love the look of horror on the fans behind the goal as Martin is putting the ball into the net. :D

pineapple stu
23/08/2005, 12:37 PM
All I could think of when he was heading towards the empty goal was that he was going to miss! :eek: :p

Slash/ED
23/08/2005, 12:42 PM
He took an age to put it in, the **** :D

Can't complain really, the players didn't seem to want it at all.

pineapple stu
23/08/2005, 12:44 PM
Good game lads. On the basis of last night, Shelbourne wouldn 't have deserved to have gone through.
Cheers, EnDai, though I can't agree with your analysis! I thought a draw was probably fair as neither side could create anything decent, and if any team was going to go through, it was Shels.

Poor Student
23/08/2005, 12:58 PM
How did Harte play? Was he on the left wing? I'd have assumed Derek Doyle would have gotten a run out. Also how did Dupuy do?

I think the only logical thing to do is to play at least 6 U-21 reserves in the final. They have beaten Waterford and Shamrock Rovers where the seniors could not this season. :p

Schumi
23/08/2005, 1:34 PM
How did Harte play? Was he on the left wing? I'd have assumed Derek Doyle would have gotten a run out. Also how did Dupuy do?

I think the only logical thing to do is to play at least 6 U-21 reserves in the final. They have beaten Waterford and Shamrock Rovers where the seniors could not this season. :p
Harte played up front! Damo didn't do a huge amount attacking wise but we didn't get the ball up near enough. As usual he put in a lot of work tracking back and pressuring Shels players on the ball.

The seniors beat Waterford in Belfield BTW.

bambi
23/08/2005, 3:29 PM
[QUOTE=Schumi]Harte played up front!QUOTE]

harte didnt play up front he played in the middle you wally! :eek:

Schumi
23/08/2005, 3:37 PM
harte didnt play up front he played in the middle you wally! :eek:
5 man midfield? Thought Harte was further up than Tony and Dicker but maybe my view was coloured by him wearing 10.

EnDai
23/08/2005, 3:39 PM
Cheers, EnDai, though I can't agree with your analysis! I thought a draw was probably fair as neither side could create anything decent, and if any team was going to go through, it was Shels.

A draw would have been fair, really, but UCD wanted it (I could say wanted it more, but Shels didn't seem to want it at all) - which in my eyes makes them worthy winners. The only time we saw Shelbourne care was after the 2nd goal for you shower of gits! ;)

That said, it did save us the mind numbing possibility of extra-time, the match was sending me to sleep as it was! :D

Slash/ED
23/08/2005, 3:41 PM
5 man midfield? Thought Harte was further up than Tony and Dicker but maybe my view was coloured by him wearing 10.

I thought you were playing a 4-5-1 with the number 10 slightly further ahead of the mid field two alright. It wasnt two out and out strikers anyway

Schumi
23/08/2005, 3:41 PM
That said, it did save us the mind numbing possibility of extra-time, the match was sending me to sleep as it was! :D
That thought occurred to me when you scored too!

EnDai
23/08/2005, 3:43 PM
:D Quality!

Aberdonian Stu
23/08/2005, 4:12 PM
It's already been updated on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCD_FC

I'd guess CollegetillIdie is the main source.

Great to see the players run towards the travelling support when Robbie scored. Generally doesn't happen often enough :mad: mainly because we don't score often enough :D

Poor Student
23/08/2005, 5:39 PM
The seniors beat Waterford in Belfield BTW.

The team had Gallagher, McAniff who was then a reserve, Shorthall, Harte, Derek Doyle, Sammon and Whitmarsh (don't even know what to class him as :confused: ).

Schumi
23/08/2005, 5:42 PM
We beat them 1-0 in the league too: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=24130

Poor Student
23/08/2005, 5:48 PM
We beat them 1-0 in the league too: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=24130

I know, I was there. ;) I was referring to the fact our half reserve team beat them in the LC only for our full seniors to fail to beat them without Frost in their next game.

Our wikipediea site was edited by someone called Fenian Swine who's interests include fenianism, Celtic FC and UCD AFC.

Schumi
23/08/2005, 5:57 PM
They have beaten Waterford... where the seniors could not this season.
Hmm...

Poor Student
23/08/2005, 6:03 PM
Hmm...

Stop being so annoying Schumi. :p I meant there was an occasion where the seniors could not beat Waterford this season but the semi reserve LC team could. True, no?

Schumi
23/08/2005, 6:12 PM
I meant there was an occasion where the seniors could not beat Waterford this season but the semi reserve LC team could.You should have said that then! :p

Poor Student
23/08/2005, 6:29 PM
You should have said that then! :p

Well I have now haven't I!? ;)

pineapple stu
23/08/2005, 7:36 PM
Wa-hey! Match report at last, in at post 40 (though some may have spotted it on the official website from mid-afternoon)

UCD qualified for only their second ever League Cup final after an extraordinary finale to a previously quiet game in Tolka Park on Monday night. Trailing to a late Colin Hawkins goal, College pulled out two injury time goals to sneak into the final on Monday week. In doing so, they guaranteed themselves minimum prize money of €7,500 and are also just one win away from a place in next season’s Setanta Cup.

The announcement regarding the Setanta Cup, which came earlier in the day, evidently effected the two team line-ups. Pete Mahon had earlier said that he was prepared to give the fringe and U-21 players who had gotten past Dublin City, Shamrock Rovers and Waterford, the chance to continue their run, but UCD’s line-up, when it was announced, showed just three changes from the team which lost to Shamrock Rovers the previous Friday.

Unsurprisingly, given the range of options available to Pete Mahon up front, two of those saw Damien Dupuy start up front in place of Robbie Martin, dropped to the bench, and Kieran Harte come into an attacking mid role. Pat McWalter moved to the left wing, Mick O’Donnell moved back to left-back and Aaron McEniff dropped to the bench. Shels, for their part, gave a first start to Steve Williams since losing control of the number one jersey to Dean Delaney in the last round of the League Cup. However, apart from that and Ollie Cahill replacing Wes Hoolihan on the wing, it was the same XI which beat Bohs on Friday.

Chances were few and far between in the opening 85 minutes. Early on, Jason Byrne rounded Darren Quigley but stumbled in getting his shot in, which was weak and easily cleared. Shels did get into plenty of decent crossing areas, but what the UCD defence couldn’t deal with, the Shels attack invariably headed over or wide.

UCD, for their part, attacked on the break, but their best chances were a couple of free-kicks – Damien Dupuy had one blocked down by a wall which looked suspiciously less than ten yards back (though Dupuy would turn the tables in the second half when Shels passed a free-kick straight to him when no more than five yards away), while Gary Dicker was a lot closer with his curler shortly before the break, which went just wide.

The first meaningful attack of the second half was UCD’s – Damien Dupuy’s weighted pass freeing Gannon on the right, but the Shels defence got back in time to block the winger’s cross. Just past the hour mark, the game started to liven up with a couple of yellow cards apiece – Kieran Harte and Dupuy for UCD, Stuart Byrne and Bobby Ryan for Shels, all in different incidents. And the first real drama of the night came on 65 minutes, when Shels were awarded an indirect free-kick on the edge of the six yard box after the referee adjudged penalised Darren Quigley for picking up a back-pass. With six UCD players on the line, plus Quigley, standing just in front of the wall, it was always going to be difficult for Shels to get through to the net, and so it proved as Quigley produced a fine save to parry away. From the resultant corner, Jason Byrne should have opened the scoring but his volley from an unmarked position ten yards out clipped the top of the bar and went over.

However, with five minutes remaining, it looked as if extra-time was inevitable – not the scenario UCD would have been looking to, given that their last two Cup defeats were away and after extra time. But then Shels took the lead – Ollie Cahill wriggled free of Alan Mahon long enough to put in a low cross; Glen Crowe’s effort came off the post, but Colin Hawkins swept home the rebound, although Quigley did get a touch.

Rather than letting the heads dropped, UCD were positive right from the tip, when they pressed straight up the pitch, but still the Achilles’ heel of creating and converting scoring chances was a problem as a sixth consecutive game without scoring from play loomed. But, as the game entered injury time, substitute Anto Murphy split the Shels defence to set Brian Gannon through on goal, and his flick past Williams in goal trickled into the unguarded net. About the only person in the ground not to see the goal was Gannon himself, who was unceremoniously flattened by the outrushing Williams; indeed, had the ball not gone in, Williams could well have found himself off the pitch and his team facing a penalty.

Extra-time loomed, but only for two minutes. Alan McNally had already sent a header inches wide when Owen Heary, under no pressure, turned and played a woefully short back-pass to his keeper; Williams again rushed from his goal and indeed from his area and again was beaten, this time by Robbie Martin, who took the ball around Williams and calmly – or because of high nerves, whichever way you want to look at it! – walked the ball up to the goalline and slotted home from a matter of inches. In the wild celebrations which ensued, the referee produced a yellow card – presumably for goalscorer Martin, though it was impossible to tell which of the pile of white shirts the card was for.

As Shels tipped off, the ref looked at his watch, and the final whistle appeared imminent. But on we played as Shels sought to rescue the game and their season. They did force a corner or two, but UCD were breaking when the whistle finally went to seal a memorable victory.

UCD – Quigley; Mahon, O’Donnell, McNally, Shortall (Murphy 88); McDonnell, Gannon, Dicker, McWalter; Dupuy (McEniff 66); Harte (Martin 66). Subs not used – Sammon, Gallagher.

Att - c 1000

pineapple stu
23/08/2005, 8:02 PM
Incidentally, some random stats on the game because I have them -

> This is our fourth time past the First Round of the League Cup. It's also our fourth time past the First Round in the last six seasons. In one of those seasons, the League Cup wasn't played.
> Shels are our bogey team. They've won seven of the last eight games in Belfield Park, drawing the other (this season). The last time we won at home to Shels was in the Super Cup; before that, it was in 1997. We actually did well to get them in Tolka, where they've only won one of the last seven! We've won two of those games...and they're the only two times we've ever beaten Shels away!!
> CTID may fill in the gaps here, but I've only got one League Cup game on record between UCD and Shels before last night - a 0-0 draw in 1998. We've never met in the FAI Cup.
> The winner was Robbie Martin's 40th goal for UCD in all competitions, in his 160th game. Brian Gannon, on the other hand, has now scored three times in four League Cup games!

pineapple stu
23/08/2005, 8:19 PM
Derry 2-1 up on Longford with a quarter of an hour to go. Longford just pulled one back; Mark Farren had scored twice for Derry. Longford down to ten men after Ferguson was sent off. McCourt is gone off injured for Derry. Looks like it could be Derry in the final...

pineapple stu
23/08/2005, 8:46 PM
Result.

UCD v. Derry in the 2005 League Cup Final. The most successful team in its history versus the least successful team (certainly till five years ago) in its history. Venue to be decided on the day, knowing the FAI/eL.

Bald Student
23/08/2005, 8:50 PM
Can anyone point to a piece of evidence (ideally a newspaper report or FAI website) which says for definate who gets the Setanta cup place in the event that Derry qualify twice?

I would presume the league gets it but I'd like to see something written down officially.

pineapple stu
23/08/2005, 8:53 PM
None at all.

Someone on the Bohs forum said that Bohs asked for - and got - in writing that the League Cup wouldn't get a Setanta spot before putting out a reserve team against Pat's. I'd say the FAI/eL haven't a clue what'd happen in the event. The precedent is for Cup runners-up to take whatever was on offer to the Cup winners in the scenario, but for League Cup runners-up to be passed over for next team in the league (e.g. if the League Cup winner in England has qualified for Europe already)

But yeah, if it is the runners-up, then we've qualified for the Setanta now barring a Derry collapse even bigger than Shels' and Drogheda's current ones! :)

CollegeTillIDie
23/08/2005, 10:55 PM
I hope the Final is in Tolka Park.

1/ We Won the 1980/81 Leinster Senior Cup Final in Tolka Park
2/ We beat Home Farm in 1983/84 F.A.I Senior Cup in Tolka Park
3/ We beat Waterford United in the 1983/84 F.A.I. Senior Cup Semi-final
in Tolka Park.
4/We won the 1983/84 F.A.I. Senior Cup Final replay in Tolka Park
5/ We knocked Shamrock Rovers 3-in-a-row F.A.I. Cup holders out of the Cup in 1987/88 in Tolka Park
6/ We won the 2000/01 F.A.I. Super Cup Final in Tolka Park.
7/ We won the 2005 Eircom League Cup Semi-final in Tolka Park.
8/ Poor old Shels need the rent money :D

Ok we lost a couple of Leinster Senior Cups there too but we were beaten by Bohs and Rovers at a time when they were #2 and #1 in the League respectively.

dcfcsteve
23/08/2005, 11:40 PM
Playing it in Tolka would just be wasting money for both our clubs, and even worse - giving it to Shelbourne for nought !

If we're all honest, there wouldn't eb a big crowd for this game if it was played anywhere in Dublin. It'll doubtless be a mid-weeker, and even though it's a final it is the League Cup afterall, and without being rude UCD are less of an exciting draw than Shels. I'd therefore be shocked if Derry had more than, sy 500 at the game in Dublin on a week night.

Still a decent crowd given the length of trip down. However - how many would UCD realistically have in support in Dublin ? Your average crowd on the attendances thread is 689 - though to be fair that doubtless reflects the large number of Dublin derbies. Including neutrals (of which there'd be very few I believe) I'd say a UCD attendance of 500 on the night would be very generous. That would give us a generous 1,000 attendance for the first final of the season. Whoopee-do.

Forking out good money to hire Shel's ground for a crowd of 1,000 would therefore be a complete waste. It would also be dire for the atmosphere with so few there. No - if it does have to be in Dublin, I'd say Belfield is the best choice for atmosphere and common sense use of money.

However - common sense asserts that the Brandywell is genuinely the best location for the game. I'd predict 1,500-2,000 home supporters there (possibly more, but a final against UCD is less motivating than a grudge one against the Shels), and possibly 50 away fans (?). That gives a crowd of 50-100% bigger than in any Dublin venue. That could only be good for the game, the competition, and for both club's revenue from the game.

If one team has to forego home advantage, then why not go with common sense in deciding which one it should be.... :)

CollegeTillIDie
24/08/2005, 6:54 AM
Playing it in Tolka would just be wasting money for both our clubs, and even worse - giving it to Shelbourne for nought !

If we're all honest, there wouldn't eb a big crowd for this game if it was played anywhere in Dublin. It'll doubtless be a mid-weeker, and even though it's a final it is the League Cup afterall, and without being rude UCD are less of an exciting draw than Shels. I'd therefore be shocked if Derry had more than, sy 500 at the game in Dublin on a week night.

Still a decent crowd given the length of trip down. However - how many would UCD realistically have in support in Dublin ? Your average crowd on the attendances thread is 689 - though to be fair that doubtless reflects the large number of Dublin derbies. Including neutrals (of which there'd be very few I believe) I'd say a UCD attendance of 500 on the night would be very generous. That would give us a generous 1,000 attendance for the first final of the season. Whoopee-do.

Forking out good money to hire Shel's ground for a crowd of 1,000 would therefore be a complete waste. It would also be dire for the atmosphere with so few there. No - if it does have to be in Dublin, I'd say Belfield is the best choice for atmosphere and common sense use of money.

However - common sense asserts that the Brandywell is genuinely the best location for the game. I'd predict 1,500-2,000 home supporters there (possibly more, but a final against UCD is less motivating than a grudge one against the Shels), and possibly 50 away fans (?). That gives a crowd of 50-100% bigger than in any Dublin venue. That could only be good for the game, the competition, and for both club's revenue from the game.

If one team has to forego home advantage, then why not go with common sense in deciding which one it should be.... :)

If it's in Derry I for one WON'T BE THERE. It is impossible to travel midweek to the frozen North-West and work for a living. Maybe the Flansiro might be a compromise. At least you can get home from there.

Poor Student
24/08/2005, 8:31 AM
If it's in Derry I for one WON'T BE THERE. It is impossible to travel midweek to the frozen North-West and work for a living. Maybe the Flansiro might be a compromise. At least you can get home from there.

I was thinking about the Flansiro too. Surely from Derry you could go through Donegal, Sligo and Roscommon together in some reasonable time? I agree that Tolka would be senseless though. You're not going to get a crowd there.

Krstic
24/08/2005, 8:34 AM

Sounds fair :ball: :ball:

Wiseguy
24/08/2005, 8:55 AM
FYI
League Cup Final 2003 St. Pats V Longford - Richmond Pk.
League Cup Final 2004 Longford V Bohs - Flancare Pk.
So i can't see it being in a nuetral venue.I think it is done on the toss of a coin but i would suspect it will be in the Brandywell in the hope that it will draw a bigger crowd.
Also IMO if Derry win the league ( fingers crossed ) and win the league cup then UCD should get the Setanta Cup spot on offer.It looks like our only way into it now is to keep our FAI cup which won't be easy.