PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup Extended

Pages : [1] 2

atfconline
22/08/2005, 2:47 PM
Monday 22nd August 2005: Following a review of the Setanta Cup between the Football Association of Ireland, the Irish Football Association and sponsors, Setanta Sports, it has been decided to extend the Tournament to eight teams.

The winners of the eircom League Cup and the CIS Cup in Northern Ireland will join the League winners and runners-up as well as the National Cup winners of each Association.

Further details in relation to the next Tournament will issue in due course.

Schumi
22/08/2005, 2:50 PM
The winners of the eircom League Cup... will join the League winners and runners-up as well as the National Cup winners of each Association.
Wow, the FAI must be confident of Shels beating us tonight!

EnDai
22/08/2005, 3:00 PM
Or not!

Dee75
22/08/2005, 3:02 PM
To be fair to all teams I think the FAI, for once, have made the correct decision. If they had announced this tomorrow after Shels had beaten UCD (I hope UCD beat Shels) everyone would have said that they waited to make sure that UCD were out before making the decision. A win tonight for UCD would be interesting. If Cork & Derry stay 1-2 in the league and Derry win the league cup UCD would probably go through. Imagine UCD in the Setanta Cup. It could happen........... :o

Poor Student
22/08/2005, 3:06 PM
Oh oh. Then why has Pete Mahon said this:
UCD boss Pete Mahon says he will keep
faith with fringe and Under-21 players
for tonight's first eircom League Cup
semi-final at Tolka Park.

'I'll pick the same players that have
got us this far,' said Mahon.

'We've drawn twice with Shels already
this season so we don't fear them.'

With Jim Crawford, Glen Fitzpatrick and
Gary O'Neill having returned to
training, Shels are at full strength.

----------------------------------------------

Us in the Setanta Cup is nothing to fear. On our day we can hold our own with any of the top sides in this country so why not the island? Our rowdy horde of fans may be a fearful prospect for Glens and Linfield though.

Btw, I'd imagine protocall is that if Derry win the LC that 3rd place in the league gets the Setanta spot and not the runners up.

patsh
22/08/2005, 3:07 PM
If everybody knew that there was a Setanta place at stake before the competition began, teams would have taken a different aproach to it. Some clubs didn't bother with this to much, and it seems unfair to them to award the place now that we are at the semi-final stage.

Poor Student
22/08/2005, 3:09 PM
If everybody knew that there was a Setanta place at stake before the competition began, teams would have taken a different aproach to it. Some clubs didn't bother with this to much, and it seems unfair to them to award the place now that we are at the semi-final stage.

We're one of the ones who didn't bother too much. :D

student
22/08/2005, 3:11 PM
yeah ironically UCD have played literally none of their first team players in the competition to date.

Schumi
22/08/2005, 3:14 PM
Oh oh. Then why has Pete Mahon said this:
UCD boss Pete Mahon says he will keep faith with fringe and Under-21 players for tonight's first eircom League Cup semi-final at Tolka Park.In fairness they're probably more likely to score than the first team at this stage.

Btw, I'd imagine protocall is that if Derry win the LC that 3rd place in the league gets the Setanta spot and not the runners up.
That's how it works for the FAI Cup place I think so presumably the same will happen with this (hope not though!)

BohDiddley
22/08/2005, 3:16 PM
Stop press! patsh makes sense shock! :eek:

Poor Student
22/08/2005, 3:17 PM
In fairness they're probably more likely to score than the first team at this stage.

Reckon today's announcement will change his mind? Although I reckon we'll see Dupuy/Doyle and Byrne up front tonight and as you say they're more likely to score. McAniff and Shorthall are two of the U-21s who got us there anyway who are basically first teamers now. Gannon too.

Schumi
22/08/2005, 3:20 PM
Reckon today's announcement will change his mind?
Oh, I thought you meant that he'd said that in reaction to the Setanta Cup announcement. It'll be interesting to see what he does so. The first team played on Friday and have a big cup game on Saturday so I doubt it'll be a full strength team anyway.

BohDiddley
22/08/2005, 3:21 PM
UCD are a good side, playing good football.
I think (yes, hope) they can beat Shels. I heard P. Fenlon on the radio congratulating himself for the great performance his team put in the other night. I don't think even he believes that, even if he has forgotten that it was against 10 men and boys.
er, come on the students! :eek:

patsh
22/08/2005, 3:21 PM
Aw, you beginning to moan & whine now that you think you may not actually do the business & win the league ??
No, we enjoy our football down in Cork, we watch great stuff week in, week out, except when we have to suffer the perrenial mid-table mediocrities Longford, getting to play 11 men on their goal-line hoofball.
We took it seriously, more or less, but some clubs didn't.
Of course that does not include mid-table mediocrities like Longford, who think that winning the League Cup is the greatest thing in the world.
Whinger Matthews tosses off at the thoughts of it.

:D

Poor Student
22/08/2005, 3:22 PM
Oh, I thought you meant that he'd said that in reaction to the Setanta Cup announcement. It'll be interesting to see what he does so. The first team played on Friday and have a big cup game on Saturday so I doubt it'll be a full strength team anyway.

That comment was put on aertel this morning. Thing is you can say we have a big cup game at the weekend but this is as big if not bigger due to the financial implications of us winning this and the final. The TV exposure of the Setanta and everything would do the club great.

Poor Student
22/08/2005, 3:23 PM
UCD are a good side, playing good football.
I think (yes, hope) they can beat Shels. I heard P. Fenlon on the radio congratulating himself for the great performance his team put in the other night. I don't think even he believes that, even if he has forgotten that it was against 10 men and boys.
er, come on the students! :eek:

Why don't as many as possible of you Bohs lads who were in Tolka last week come and get behind us. ;)

thejollyrodger
22/08/2005, 3:29 PM
Im glad the Setanta Cup has more teams in it next year, it just means there are more teams for Shelbourne FC to beat:)

Schumi
22/08/2005, 3:31 PM
Im glad the Setanta Cup has more teams in it next year, it just means there are more teams for Shelbourne FC to beat:)
More like 'more teams for Shelbourne FC to be'. You wouldn't have had any chance to qualify otherwise.

EnDai
22/08/2005, 3:41 PM
Over 300 minutes! :D

thejollyrodger
22/08/2005, 4:05 PM
More like 'more teams for Shelbourne FC to be'. You wouldn't have had any chance to qualify otherwise.

Shelbourne FC is a proper club with real ambitions.

UCD ??? go back to ur books, shouldnt even be in the league

thejollyrodger
22/08/2005, 4:15 PM
well most leagues dont have a university team in the primer league do they ?

Since when did bohs think it was ok to desicrate our stadium ?

Bald Student
22/08/2005, 4:16 PM
UCD ??? go back to ur books, shouldnt even be in the leagueGetting nervous? Worried the galacticos will be beaten by some lazy students?

Schumi
22/08/2005, 4:17 PM

Since when did bohs think it was ok to desicrate our stadium ?
Do all your posts contain statements with nothing to do with the previous topic?

Bald Student
22/08/2005, 4:20 PM
Do all your posts contain statements with nothing to do with the previous topic?I think we should all do that. It'd be funny.

I had chicken sandwiches for lunch.

thejollyrodger
22/08/2005, 4:31 PM
Bohs fans

stupid statement better left to convicted criminal club chairmen

2-1

anto eile
22/08/2005, 4:44 PM
dont agree. if you enter a cup competiotion and dont take it seriously then any negative consequences are simply tough sh!t for you

BohDiddley
22/08/2005, 5:05 PM
Why don't as many as possible of you Bohs lads who were in Tolka last week come and get behind us. ;)

I would, only the missus would think I was gone mad altogether. ;) You'll have to make do with my good wishes from afar.

pete
22/08/2005, 5:16 PM
I see the FAI are changing the rules already to ensure Shels in the Setanta Cup next season.

What next - take Uefa Cup place away from Cup winner so Shels can get Europe from 3rd or 4th place.

:rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
22/08/2005, 5:28 PM

The decision is hardly news though - it's been bandied about this site for months as something that was under consideration.

This decision is good for the League Cup - finally giving it some much-needed value. It's probably even worth more now than winning the FAI Cup is, as Setanta seems more likely to generate you cash than Europe does.

Anyhoo - surely wanting to win for your team and its fans should be reason enough to try and do well in any contest your entered in?

BohDiddley
22/08/2005, 5:31 PM
From this point, it has become the solemn duty of every EL team to ensure that Shels get nothing from this season.
UCD, for once, your country needs you.

Buller
22/08/2005, 7:27 PM
I see the FAI are changing the rules already to ensure Shels in the Setanta Cup next season.
Great news! So that means Irelands most famous club will be in the Setanta Cup next year after we win the League Cup for the 16th time! :rolleyes:
:D :D :D

Buller
22/08/2005, 7:42 PM
Oh wait thats the FAI cup, Rovers got knocked out of the League Cup... :(
Sorry my bad... :o
(FAI Cup for 25th time 2005 ;) )

bigmac
22/08/2005, 8:04 PM
It's probably even worth more now than winning the FAI Cup is, as Setanta seems more likely to generate you cash than Europe does.

:confused: FAI cup gets you into Setanta and Europe. Surely that's worth more than the Setanta alone?

Poor Student
22/08/2005, 8:56 PM

Ah dear oh dear. No silverwear for the proper club with ambitions. :D

thejollyrodger
22/08/2005, 10:16 PM
greatest flop in the history of the league ?? We brought the league to another level, I somehow cant envisage the likes of UCD ever making the 3rd round of the champions league.

If Shels are so bad, how come you could even scrap for a draw the other night:D

If we werent so successful then there wouldnt be such an anti shels bias with some clubs who are still living off us.

I would just like to remind you who the CHAMPIONS OF IRELAND are

Dodge
22/08/2005, 10:30 PM
Most Leagues dont have a team with a convicted criminal in charge either but there you go?

We brought the league to another level, I somehow cant envisage the likes of UCD ever making the 3rd round of the champions league.
How exactly did you bring the league to another level? You got past 2 teams winning one game in 6. Dundalk did better than that in 79/80. you couldn't be talking about the lskill levels either as Shels play awful, awful football. it may be effective but its poxy to watch

If we werent so successful then there wouldnt be such an anti shels bias with some clubs who are still living off us.Success has nothing to with hatred. Rovers haven't a pot to **** in for the past 10 years never mind a trophy and are universally despised. Personally I hate Shels due to their disgusting attitude towards the league and all other clubs. And which clubs are living off Shels? you couldn't be talking about the crowds you bring! Are you, seriously?

I would just like to remind you who the CHAMPIONS OF IRELAND are
Linfield. Champions of all Ireland

You really are the ****ing typical fan that gets on eveyone's ****ing nerves. you think that Ollie created football. Get a history lesson, get a ****ing a grip and get a mind of your own...

crc
22/08/2005, 11:26 PM
CHAMPIONS OF IRELAND are
That would be LINFIELD! :rolleyes:

Dodge, of course, got there ahead of me, but I wanted to put it in big letters in case JR wasn't able to read fine print!

chippie0001
22/08/2005, 11:28 PM

That quote should be framed. Shows the arrogance of Shels to a tee. Congrats UCD and fair play.

patsh
23/08/2005, 6:53 AM
Oh you sure did. And we whipped your a$$e$ down at the Cross. Total football Chokers couldn't score for over a hundred minutes against the mighty Longford Town. We had our third choice keeper. You got a penalty & still you couldn't score.
And now you're beginning to panic as you realise the trophy cupboard might be bare YET AGAIN at the end of another fruitless season.

Ah well, at least you can turn to the bogball & the hurling when it all goes wrong :p
The mid-table mediocrity still w*nking off on it.
One win in over 3 seasons and he is still creaming off at the thoughts of it.
What a sad, sad little boy you are.
You keep having those fantasies, little man, someday you might even move on to girls.....

:D :D

Macy
23/08/2005, 7:02 AM
The decision is hardly news though - it's been bandied about this site for months as something that was under consideration.

Yeah, I thought it was announced ages ago originally. Back after the first round of games (which may or may not have been fair, but still any serious team going out at that stage doesn't really have a complaint).

rerun
23/08/2005, 8:08 AM

So why shouldn't UCD be in the league? They obviously have the quality to remain in the eircom Premier and recover from relegation. Maybe just Shels getting tetchy because they're on the slide? And talking of books, get yourself a dictionary.

EnDai
23/08/2005, 8:25 AM
That quote should be framed. Shows the arrogance of Shels to a tee. Congrats UCD and fair play.

To be honest, you don't see m/any others with an attitude like that.

UCD deserve their place in the final, solely because they wanted to be there. They worked hard and it paid off. Not one Shelbourne player appeared to put any effort into the game, at all, and two silly defensive errors gave away the goals. But that doesn't matter, the team with the best attitude went through, and they played some good football on the night too. About 90% of the game consisted of passing it about amongst the Shels back 4, terrible to watch.

Congratulations to UCD, and I hope you win it! Love to see them in the Setanta cup! :D

And as for saying they shouldn't be in the league - thats just barmy! They are here on merit, and merit alone. And they're doing better than other teams that perhaps "should" be in the league, so that argument is just pointless!

Again, congratulations.

patsh
23/08/2005, 8:42 AM
One win ?? One win?? Get your facts right patsh. We walloped you in the FAI cup a couple of years ago. Did you win in the Flansiro last year ?? NO. If you had - and if you had held your nerve - the league was there for the taking. You wimped out last year & now you're looking a one big huge choke this year.
Trouble for you is, where are the goals gonna come from ?? Poor old John O Flynn (or Flynny as you lot call him. What a poncey nickname. Its something you'd expect to call a private-schoolboy in South Dublin.) anyway, poor old Flynny couldn't score to save his life. Are you gonna start playing Behan or Bruton ?? I mean, where are the goals gonna come from ?? (You could always ask UCD for the loan of a striker :D :D )
Goals?
This from the 11 man defence who have managed the grand total of 18 goals in 22 games?
You poor obsessed mid-table mediocrity, just let it go.
Your obsession is quite touching really, but not surprising given one win in 3 seasons.
There can't be much fun in watching a perrenial mid-table side, grind out yet another 0- 0 draw, or if they get incredibly lucky, get a 1 - 0 win.
Keep obsessing and fantasising about Cork City,you probably don't have much else in your sorry little life......

:p

Macy
23/08/2005, 8:49 AM
No it was not. Seriously though, if they announced it ages ago, why would they be announcing it again?
To raise interest in the semi's of the league cup, and isn't the CIS Cup going on in the North at the moment? I'll have a look for the old thread...

patsh
23/08/2005, 10:35 AM
I'm sitting here looking at two shiny cups. We're fourth in the table chasing the mighty $hel$. Life is very sweet indeed.
The chokers are counting their millions & looking into a dusty trophy cabinet. Nothing to show for the last 7 years. If 'Flynnie' (what a poxy nickname) don't start rattling the back of the net soon, the shed'll be empty !
All you are doing is looking at your keyboard and continuing to express your total obsession with all things Cork City related.
You long, long ago stopped saying anything original or vaguely amusing, you are just a pathetic little saddo, obsessed with Cork City, the club that routinely beats your "team" home and away.
The entire content of your posts are "choke" "Flynnie" "millions"...sad, sad little boy.

A bit of advice, get some grown-up to buy you Playboy, you can toss off to the pictures in that, rather than your fantasies about Cork City, for a change.

BTW, I hope you regularly wash down your keyboard, it must be getting very sticky by now....

patsh
23/08/2005, 11:40 AM
You can't take it. You can't take it. You have to resort to pathetic, childish insults that I won't even dignify with a reply.

Thanks for the reply, little bog w*nker.
NOT A SOLITARY WIN for plucky little Longford in over 3 seasons of league games against Cork City.

Of course, Longford don't do league games do they?
Or European games for that matter.....

patsh
23/08/2005, 11:49 AM
It's a comin'. Its a comin'.
So are you, EVERY time you think of Cork City....:D

patsh
23/08/2005, 11:55 AM
Ah yeah, I'm just wetting myself at the thoughts of 'Flynnie' scoring his only league goal in the eleven remaining games against us. That'll probably come from one of three penalties ye will get on the night - ye will miss the other two :D :D
You wet yourself at the thoughts on anything to do with Cork City....

Surely there is a doctor near your boghole that could help you?:eek:

Schumi
23/08/2005, 12:51 PM
Bohs fans

2-12-1 you say? :D :D :D :D :D

pineapple stu
23/08/2005, 12:53 PM
Damn, just beat me to it! :p