PDA

View Full Version : O’Shea set for midfield role?

sligoman
22/08/2005, 12:31 PM
Irish boss Brian Kerr has given his strongest hint yet that he may select John O’ Shea in a midfield role in the vital qualifier next month against France.

Up until Wednesday’s friendly with Italy O’Shea had been a regular feature at left back for Ireland. However because of injuries the Waterford man was pushed further up the field and managed to give an accomplished performance.

Kerr said “I spoke to United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and he told me that he too was still not sure about John’s best position. What I can say is that John has the balance, the technique and the awareness for a midfield role.”

He continued “None of my teams are ever set in stone and that applies to the French match. The move to put the midfield position had been on my mind for a while. Yes, I may play him there against France.”

From elevenaside.com

Dawn_Run
22/08/2005, 12:44 PM
Well he certainly looked livelier when he moved into midfield against Italy. Midfield move might be a good for him - not sure if its the right move for Ireland though :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
22/08/2005, 12:58 PM
NeilMcD pointed out on another thread that Kerr will be coming out with loads of guff in adavance of the French match. But nobody should take his remarks seriously. I'd be amazed if he played anything other than 4-4-2 with JOSH at left-back.

But in terms of the attributes JOSH has for midfield, I agree entirely. 12 months from now I expect Roy Keane will have called it a day and someone's got to come in and do the job. I think though that no matter how well JOSH ever does in any position there'll always be loads of people who give him stick.

Fergie's Son
22/08/2005, 3:25 PM
I'm not sure it's about giving him stick. He just looks uncomfortable on the ball sometimes. I can't imagine Kerr deviating from the 4-4-2 with A. Reid on the bench.

drinkfeckarse
22/08/2005, 3:43 PM
Would be surprised if Kerr went with him in the middle. Kilbane and Keane are clearly first choice there now. Maybe in the future but no way will it happen for the French game.

NeilMcD
22/08/2005, 4:19 PM
I agree totally with the above comments. O Shea will play in midfield one day for Ireland and maybe Man Utd but it will not be againsts the French. We will play 4 4 2 and Kerr and as Stuttgart 88 points out this is just a lot of guff from Kerr to maybe mislead the French.

wallis
22/08/2005, 5:00 PM
4-5-1

Kilbane , Keane and O'Shea up against Viera , Makele , Zidane.

Duff one side , reid the other supporting Robbie.

thejollyrodger
22/08/2005, 5:49 PM
i expect Kilbane to get the nod over Josh in midfield simply because of the lack of first team football. It does seem to make sense playing him in that position though, his mistakes wouldnt be as costly.

sligoman
22/08/2005, 6:10 PM
4-5-1

Duff one side , reid the other supporting Robbie.That's not a bad idea actually. Putting (Robbie)Keane up front on his own isn't too bad and Duff and (Andy)Reid could go forward to help him out every now and again.

Volcán Masaya
22/08/2005, 7:38 PM
4-5-1

Duff one side , reid the other supporting Robbie.

I really like this formation. Duff has gotten real good at trackinig back and helping out in defense, something Mourinho seems to have drilled into him, so I'm comfortable with the cover on that side. Watching Reid for spurrs this weekend he too was doing a great job of covering..... however, it was on the left, I don't think he has a whole lot of experience on the right and that worries me. But of course if they're switching off, then it's not so bad.
But still, I think it could be worth the gamble. Having Duff, Reid and Robbie flying forward on a quick counter, dribbling and making diagonal runs could be a sight to behold.
If we did try that I'd like for there to be a well prepared plan B, so that if it's not working out after 20-30 minutes, there can be a quick transition to a more traditional 4-4-2.

dr_peepee
22/08/2005, 8:03 PM
I don't think O'Shea and Keane will be played together in the middle. If O'Shea plays it will be as a holding midfielder, which what Keane now is essentially, so it leave too much ground to be covered. I think that's what Kerr was trying last week with Steven Reid. If Kerr does change the midfield he'd want another 'set of legs' to compliment Keane in the same way Kilbane does. I don't think O'shea fits that mould.

chancer
22/08/2005, 8:22 PM
Why all the messing about with tactics, formations etc...? The players themselves have said they prefer 4-4-2, we should play to our strengths and let the French worry about what formation would be best against the mighty Irish!

eirebhoy
22/08/2005, 9:57 PM
I don't think O'Shea and Keane will be played together in the middle. If O'Shea plays it will be as a holding midfielder
I wouldn't say that. When O'Shea is played in midfield he plays the supporting role to Keane and likes to get forward. I don't think I've ever seen him play the holding role and he hasn't got the composure for it just yet imo.

thejollyrodger
22/08/2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah I agree, I wouldnt like to see Josh doing the holding role, he is better going forward and I wouldnt want to rely on him as to how to dicate the pace of the game just yet :D

dr_peepee
22/08/2005, 10:31 PM
He played there last wednesday when Holland went off. Not quite Makelele or Mokeona but he sat deeper that SReid or Kilbane. I'd have to watch it on Tele to fully assess his role but thats what I got from the corner of the east terrace.

I'm just saying that I'll be very surprised if I ever see Keane and O'Shea in the middle for Ireland. It offers very little by way of mobillity and penetration.

Regardless of playing two or three in the middle, For Ireland to truly benifit from Keane presence, the player beside him has to be tenacious, energitic, solid, sharp etc I don't think O'Shea fits that bill. Think a pre world cup Colin Healy, Or the Alan Quinn v Netherlands,. The player himself doesn't have to be a world beater, just put the work in. Roy Keane could do for some "water carrier" what Paul McGrath did for Phil Babb in USA 94. Just my humble opinion.

Stuttgart88
23/08/2005, 8:28 AM
Roy Keane could do for some "water carrier" what Paul McGrath did for Phil Babb in USA 94. Just my humble opinion.
Well I think it's no co-incidence that Healy and Miller both got MOTM in their debuts alongside Keane, and Steven Reid seemed to flourish in his early games too, though wide right.