PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland v Nigeria - Monday, 31 July 2023 - 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

JR89
27/07/2023, 12:21 PM
After beating Australia 3-2 to top the group this game now takes on greater significances. Hopefully the girls can regroup for this one which could be a belter of a game.

tetsujin1979
31/07/2023, 10:27 AM
Payne restored to the starting XI, and Lily Agg comes into the starting XI
Even contest so far, Nigeria having some success down the inside right channel

joey B
31/07/2023, 10:45 AM
Fairly even game,Irelands final ball/touch letting them down….

nigel-harps1954
31/07/2023, 10:51 AM
Think the team will be disappointed going in at half time. Lot of fairly sloppy play in possession, almost seeming nervous or panicked at times. There's a big physical difference in the two sides as well.

pineapple stu
31/07/2023, 10:57 AM
Lot of fairly sloppy play in possession, almost seeming nervous or panicked at times.
That's been a feature of all three games from the bits I've seen unfortunately. It's apt in a way that the only goal scored was direct from a corner - what should have been a pass going directly into the net instead. (I know it was intended as a shot and it was perfectly placed, so don't want to disparage the goal - just pointing out the appropriateness though)

57% pass success rate for the Canada game I think I saw somewhere? That's Martin O'Neill level of passing.

tetsujin1979
31/07/2023, 11:04 AM
That's been a feature of all three games from the bits I've seen unfortunately. It's apt in a way that the only goal scored was direct from a corner - what should have been a pass going directly into the net instead. (I know it was intended as a shot and it was perfectly placed, so don't want to disparage the goal - just pointing out the appropriateness though)

57% pass success rate for the Canada game I think I saw somewhere? That's Martin O'Neill level of passing.
yeah, 57 according to sky sports
https://www.skysports.com/football/canada-women-vs-republic-of-ireland-women/stats/460846

nigel-harps1954
31/07/2023, 11:40 AM
Katie McCabe having a couple of pops at Pauw on the sideline for not making changes. Interesting given the headlines the last day or two.

tetsujin1979
31/07/2023, 12:30 PM
Is there a save of the tournament award? Because this will win it

seanfhear
31/07/2023, 12:35 PM
Katie McCabe having a couple of pops at Pauw on the sideline for not making changes. Interesting given the headlines the last day or two.I reckon Katie McCabe probably thinks that she can manage the Ladies and Mens teams all by herself ! !

pineapple stu
31/07/2023, 12:41 PM
Is there a save of the tournament award? Because this will win it

I don't know - there's too much of a slice of luck with it. The ball goes right through her hands; I don't know what sort of touch she got on it in the end but I'm not sure how much she knew about it. That's one she got away with for me

tetsujin1979
31/07/2023, 1:19 PM
Pauw on what McCabe said to her during the game

seanfhear
31/07/2023, 1:42 PM
Pauw on what McCabe said to her during the game
Coaching and playing is bit too much to ask of anyone. Katie should concentrate on the playing until she moves on to coaching ( probably after she retires )

jbyrne
31/07/2023, 3:14 PM
I don't know - there's too much of a slice of luck with it. The ball goes right through her hands; I don't know what sort of touch she got on it in the end but I'm not sure how much she knew about it. That's one she got away with for me

its a superb save to be quite honest.
id say most reasonable commentators would think the same

MylesNotMiley
31/07/2023, 5:48 PM
Is it not a bit ignorant of McCabe to demand for another player (Farrelly) to be subbed?

seanfhear
01/08/2023, 7:01 AM
Is it not a bit ignorant of McCabe to demand for another player (Farrelly) to be subbed?
Maybe Katie McCabe wanted fresh legs to replace herself (wink wink)

tetsujin1979
01/08/2023, 7:49 AM
Watched the highlights last night, you can hear McCabe screaming at the bench around 66 minutes. Oshoala is being substituted, so the cameras are on her going off, and McCabe is clearly not happy.
Can't tell if she said Farrelly specifically, but we did play worse when she went off against Canada.

passinginterest
01/08/2023, 8:43 AM
I think the original reports said McCabe was calling for fresh legs on her side, rather than any specific player. Pauw has then come out and said she specifically wanted Farrelly off, which may be where the "zippy face" social media post is coming from. It's a shame that it's ended the way it has. It was a great achievement to qualify and the draw always meant getting out of the group was unlikely. They've performed reasonably well in all the games. There has been rumblings of discontent about the tactics and training for a long time, there's an argument that a very good team fell into the managers lap and that she may even have been hindering their progress in more recent times (I think there has to be some credit for the initial impact in bringing some solidity and belief).

I don't think Pauw will be kept on. But no more than for the senior men, the replacement has to be a good fit. There's a strong starting team there now, but a bit like the men, there's a very good senior bunch, a gap in the middle and then some very talented players coming through from successful underage teams. It's a hard balance, but the likes of McCabe, O'Sullivan, Quinn, all have at least one more major championship in them and it would be great to see them qualify convincingly for the Euro's and to get out of the groups there.

jbyrne
01/08/2023, 9:30 AM
from what I have seen over the last few years the team is now miles above where is was. the manager deserves huge credit for that.
i saw decent spells of purposeful possession in our three finals matches compared to a few years ago when we could hardly put two passes together.
a goal scoring centre forward would have made a massive difference to our results.

there is no excuse for macabes behavior yesterday. its totally unacceptable that any player would talk to their manager like that during a game. no serious manager at any level would accept that.

weldoninhio
01/08/2023, 12:28 PM
from what I have seen over the last few years the team is now miles above where is was. the manager deserves huge credit for that.
i saw decent spells of purposeful possession in our three finals matches compared to a few years ago when we could hardly put two passes together.
a goal scoring centre forward would have made a massive difference to our results.

there is no excuse for macabes behavior yesterday. its totally unacceptable that any player would talk to their manager like that during a game. no serious manager at any level would accept that.

She was on he bench for all but 20 odd minutes of the tournament.

Diggs246
01/08/2023, 2:51 PM
Watched the highlights last night, you can hear McCabe screaming at the bench around 66 minutes. Oshoala is being substituted, so the cameras are on her going off, and McCabe is clearly not happy.
Can't tell if she said Farrelly specifically, but we did play worse when she went off against Canada.

Players demanding substitutions. Jesus wept.

What if the manager said your right and took McCabe off. A) Does McCabe take the decision to put on fresh legs at her expense on the chin? Or B) does she storm off down the tunnel?

It's B..right?

jbyrne
01/08/2023, 3:17 PM
She was on he bench for all but 20 odd minutes of the tournament.

if its amber barrett you are referring too then i don't agree.
average player and offered nothing when she came on against canada.

elatedscum
01/08/2023, 7:30 PM

Probably should have rolled the dice on Leanne Kiernan