PDA

View Full Version : Celtic and the League of Ireland

culloty82
25/07/2023, 1:06 PM
Packie Bonner did an interview ahead of Celtic's friendly with Wolves at Lansdowne Road, and said he's had discussions with the club hierarchy about the idea of buying a League of Ireland team as a "feeder club". Of course, Celtic's recent track record with Irish players is patchy, to put it mildly, but in any event, the debate about clubs being part of a multi-team franchise will continue:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/packie-bonner-urges-celtic-to-buy-league-of-ireland-side-as-feeder-club/a1394545730.html

Kiki Balboa
25/07/2023, 1:35 PM
Its said through the perspective of what is good for Celtic, not what is good for the LOI.

Its disapointing for this view to come from an ex-Fai man, and national team legend.

Another Bohemia
25/07/2023, 2:21 PM
Its said through the perspective of what is good for Celtic, not what is good for the LOI.

Its disapointing for this view to come from an ex-Fai man, and national team legend.

Disappointing? Sure. Surprising? Not in the slightest. I can't say I've ever heard Bonner talk about the LOI at all prior to this and if his knowledge of the league is limited to basic barstooler knowledge with the additional insights of Fleetwood and Waterford having the same owner and Hull looking to use Shels as a glorified u23 team then it's not surprising he wants the club where he's a legend and already has links to Ireland to do the same.

nigel-harps1954
25/07/2023, 2:26 PM
Disappointing? Sure. Surprising? Not in the slightest. I can't say I've ever heard Bonner talk about the LOI at all prior to this and if his knowledge of the league is limited to basic barstooler knowledge with the additional insights of Fleetwood and Waterford having the same owner and Hull looking to use Shels as a glorified u23 team then it's not surprising he wants the club where he's a legend and already has links to Ireland to do the same.

Bonner was in Ballybofey for Harps last home game and isn't a complete stranger at games here either.

joey B
25/07/2023, 2:28 PM
He's an FAI employee that cares about Celtic above all else,no suprise he came out with this at a Celtic press conference,I honestly dont know what Celtic would gain from buying a LOI club anyway,its not like they have any trouble taking whatever players they want already.....

DCWA
25/07/2023, 2:29 PM
Packie Bonner did an interview ahead of Celtic's friendly with Wolves at Lansdowne Road, and said he's had discussions with the club hierarchy about the idea of buying a League of Ireland team as a "feeder club". Of course, Celtic's recent track record with Irish players is patchy, to put it mildly, but in any event, the debate about clubs being part of a multi-team franchise will continue:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/packie-bonner-urges-celtic-to-buy-league-of-ireland-side-as-feeder-club/a1394545730.html

They (Desmond) already own 25% (?) of Rovers so they already do for all intents and purposes what planet is he on?

EatYerGreens
25/07/2023, 10:24 PM
Celtic ar a pox on the League Of Ireland.

Irish people, north and south, need to stop hankering after teams in Britain that don't give a sh!te about them. Especially Scottish bfootball, which is ballax and ruined by the Old Firm's artifically innflated dominance. Is there a more consistently boring and pointless league in Europe? No winner outside the Old Firm for almost 4 decades now. Just insane.

Straightstory
26/07/2023, 10:27 AM

Irish people, north and south, need to stop hankering after teams in Britain that don't give a sh!te about them. Especially Scottish bfootball, which is ballax and ruined by the Old Firm's artifically innflated dominance. Is there a more consistently boring and pointless league in Europe? No winner outside the Old Firm for almost 4 decades now. Just insane.

I am in total agreement.

yurt
26/07/2023, 2:26 PM
I do think the comments were a disgrace considering he's an FAI employee. It shows the mentality that a lot of people within the FAI still have towards our league. I really do hope there is serious questions asked and at least some form of statement/apology on the matter rather than just trying to sweep it under the carpet.

It's another test to see how the 'New FAI' conduct themselves under scrutiny.

Philosophizer
26/07/2023, 2:52 PM
It’s staggering that an FAI employee would have such little awareness. But just goes to show the attitude towards our league from so many. It’s like a suggestion that would come from an American tourist who has no connection to Irish football whatsoever.

listowelceltic
26/07/2023, 3:43 PM
Attendances are up and a general good vibe across the leagues. Then a fai employee comes out with this garbage.

Mr A
26/07/2023, 4:42 PM
He's an independent board member rather than an employee isn't he?

cláirseach
26/07/2023, 5:15 PM
Yes, although Packie was an FAI employee in the past I don't think he has been one for quite a while.

Martinho II
26/07/2023, 6:25 PM
Yes, although Packie was an FAI employee in the past I don't think he has been one for quite a while.

Yeah have to agree with you on this point Clariseach. Hes not involved with the FAI in a good few yrs!

EatYerGreens
26/07/2023, 11:18 PM

If he's an independent/Non-Exec board member, then he'll be getting paid for that privilege.

Did I read a while ago that a woman from the Cork City cooperative is now on the FAI Board? if so, this is something she should be taking up.

DCSIL
27/07/2023, 1:29 PM

Irish people, north and south, need to stop hankering after teams in Britain that don't give a sh!te about them.

Some Derry people think it's compulsory to follow Celtic, which i've always found odd. When there's a decent club representing your Home city.

thebronze14
27/07/2023, 5:31 PM
Some Derry people think it's compulsory to follow Celtic, which i've always found odd. When there's a decent club representing your Home city.
It's the same down the road. I get looked like I have two heads when I tell people I dislike Celtic... Then I'm accused of being a Rangers fan and tell them I dislike them even more ?