PDA

View Full Version : Worst keepers in Lansdowne?

pineapple stu
20/08/2005, 8:12 PM
Thinking of putting together a piece on this for the next Genesis Reporter (Ireland fanzine) - who are the worst keepers ever to have played in Lansdowne (preferably visiting keepers!! :p )? Got to thinking this after watching Roma nearly singlehandedly undermine traditionally the best defence in the world on Wednesday with his constant fumbling.

I would assume that Omer Catkin - the Turkish lad who was subbed on and off two years ago or so - is unbeatable. Aouat - the Israeli "footballer" is up there as well, his antics not disguising the fact that he was a weak keeper. Anyone else spring to mind? I'm sure there must be a few dodgy continental keepers from back in the day.

Green Tribe
20/08/2005, 10:36 PM
Awat the brat wins it hands down - no pun intended.

What a cheeky fcuker, needs a good Saudi Arabian lashing

Gerrit
20/08/2005, 11:12 PM
Awat?? You guys are still not over it? :D

He did two world class saves and thus saved the point for Israel. If that makes him the worst, some guys here need to learn what realistic/objective watching means...

geysir
21/08/2005, 2:18 AM
Thinking of putting together a piece on this for the next Genesis Reporter (Ireland fanzine) - who are the worst keepers ever to have played in Lansdowne (preferably visiting keepers!! :p )? .

I think that our chances against France are already at a fragile state
without this sort of thing :-) Personally I would find it a bit juvenile to actually put that type of stuff into print for a matchday issue.

At this standard you don't get many bad keepers, sometimes you get good keepers with the occasional blooper. Awat, the Iranian and the Turk were demonstrating unsportsmanship not bad goalkeeping. You could argue that Awat didn't know his left hand from his right when trying to stop Harte's free kick but obviously his left arm was not functioning too good.

For consistant bad judgement, the Dutch keeper in 1980 during the 2nd half, for me takes the biscuit. It was also very funny and got the crowd going every time he went to take a kick out against the fierce crosswind. The roar of the crowd followed him as he lined up to kick out, then the roar followed the ball for about 25m outfield, then it took a predictable 90 degree bend towards touch and out of play. I don't remember how many times this piece of priceless theatre was repeated but it seemed he never learned.
He was probably the same keeper who kept goal for Holland in the WCF against Argentina, at the top of his game and should in no way be regarded as a bad keeper.

Drumcondra Red
21/08/2005, 9:33 AM

He did two world class saves and thus saved the point for Israel. If that makes him the worst, some guys here need to learn what realistic/objective watching means...

Of course we're not over it yet, this doesn't concern you Gerrit :p

pineapple stu
21/08/2005, 1:35 PM
Personally I would find it a bit juvenile to actually put that type of stuff into print for a matchday issue.
Why not? It's a fanzine - it's not meant to be serious!

Awat, the Iranian and the Turk were demonstrating unsportsmanship not bad goalkeeping.
Do you even remember the Turkish keeper?! You don't get subbed off 15 minutes after being subbed on without being injured for nothing! His fumble of a perfectly harmless shot straight at him onto his own post sums his night up for me! Awat was an iffy keeper at best - good shot stopper maybe, but woeful under the high ball. Remember George Hamilton pointing out during the away game that he was only playing in Spain because he had a "good" agent.

Obviously any keeper isn't going to be too bad given that they're playing at international level, but there must be a few poor performances out there?!

geysir
21/08/2005, 6:29 PM
Why not? It's a fanzine - it's not meant to be serious!
I have never read a fanzine so delete my comment.

Do you even remember the Turkish keeper?! You don't get subbed off 15 minutes after being subbed on without being injured for nothing! His fumble of a perfectly harmless shot straight at him onto his own post sums his night up for me!
Yes, you are right about the Turkish keeper, some games are almost a complete blur for me and most them involved Turkey :-)

Remember George Hamilton pointing out during the away game that he was only playing in Spain because he had a "good" agent.
Ah George, Awat plays in Spain because he has a good agent?

pineapple stu
21/08/2005, 8:34 PM
Ah George, Awat plays in Spain because he has a good agent?
No, a "good" agent. As in, the general consensus was that Awat only got a move to Spain through corruption/his agent knowing someone - notbecause he was in any way good.

Green Tribe
22/08/2005, 12:07 AM

Behave Gerrit! :eek: :D That fcuker nearly made me cry that day. I don't appreciate his 'world class saves :mad: ' because he cheated our players and us by wasting time and acting like an arse. I don't want to repeat it all again
, but he is a disgrace and deserves nothing but a kick in the nuts. :mad:

geysir
22/08/2005, 1:17 AM
Do you even remember the Turkish keeper?! You don't get subbed off 15 minutes after being subbed on without being injured for nothing! His fumble of a perfectly harmless shot straight at him onto his own post sums his night up for me!
I am experiencing a Fr.Dougal memory recollection here :-) its getting clearer, I remember the hilarious incident now but from which game? surely not the play off? must have been a friendly?
Then you are talking about farcical comedy.
If it was stories from the LOI you could probably get a few pages worth from the exploits of Kevin Blount alone.

geysir
22/08/2005, 1:18 AM
I am experiencing a Fr.Dougal memory recollection here :-) its getting clearer, I remember the hilarious incident now but from which game? surely not the play off? must have been a friendly?
Of course there was Iribar from the days of black and white at Dalymount.
If it was stories from the LOI you could probably get a few pages worth from the exploits of Kevin Blount alone.

gspain
22/08/2005, 7:38 AM
I would assume that Omer Catkin - the Turkish lad who was subbed on and off two years ago or so - is unbeatable.

You mean the only one of the 3 Turkish keepers to play that night that kept a clean sheet. :D :D

I agree it was hilarious though.

Stuttgart88
22/08/2005, 7:57 AM
That Turkish keeper was comical.

Dudi Awat wasn't the only theatrical villain at Lansdowne. The Polish 'keeper in '91 was equally prone to periods of unconciousness after minor contact.

tetsujin1979
22/08/2005, 9:56 AM
Against Turkey, Dunne got the ball near the centre circle, some of the lads started shouting, "Go on, shoot, you'll definately score!". Probably would have too, that keeper was rank

sadloserkid
22/08/2005, 10:56 AM
Awat?

Are you serious?

The most annoying goalkeeper perhaps but hardly the worst, he made some top class stops that day no matter what sour grapes George spilled over the mic.

It can't be that hard... we have turned over a few teams in the last 20 years or so... didn't we wallop Turkey 5-0 in the Euro 92 qualifiers? He can hardly have covered himself in glory.

youngirish
22/08/2005, 12:23 PM
Lads dunno what yous are all s**teing on about its obvious the answer is Nicky Colgan.

pineapple stu
22/08/2005, 12:30 PM
I am experiencing a Fr.Dougal memory recollection here :-) It's getting clearer, I remember the hilarious incident now but from which game? surely not the play off? must have been a friendly?
'Twas a 2-2 draw a year or two back - GSpain has it right admittedly when he says he was the only one of the three keepers to keep a clean sheet! Iribar was the lad who scored the og in '65?

no matter what sour grapes George spilled over the mic
Whether the allegation is true or not, it certainly wasn't sour grapes - it was mentioned during the away game, which was before the home game. Think it was in the Irish Times' preview of the game as well.

Colgan (and Joe Murphy) get off the hook because I said "visiting" keeper - otherwise they'd be a cert alright.

geysir
22/08/2005, 1:29 PM
Iribar was the lad who scored the og in '65? That's right.

Colgan (and Joe Murphy) get off the hook because I said "visiting" keeper - otherwise they'd be a cert alright.
Seriously, what do we do if Shay Given gets injured?

gspain
22/08/2005, 2:12 PM
That's right.

Seriously, what do we do if Shay Given gets injured?

Paddy Kenny. Otherwise we're in trouble.

gspain
22/08/2005, 2:17 PM
George Dunlop should also get a mention for having a nightmare. In the 1989 WC qualifier at Lansdowne we had a nervous opening 40 minute sor so until he intervened. He was actually a fantastic keeper in the IL for many years but thankfully froze that day and we won 3-0 in the end.

fergalr
25/08/2005, 12:49 PM
The Turkish comedy keeper has to be a clear winner.

As for vital games, the Dutch keeper in 80 has been mentioned. That was Joop Hiele - A Feyenoord legend - who really got intimidated by our crowd (when was the last time that happened). I don't think he ever got capped again.