PDA

View Full Version : Supposing...

Schunter Netz
19/08/2005, 9:23 PM
Supposing, just supposing, we go on to win the league, what are the weaknesses in the squad that need to be fixed? This squad is too shallow to defend a title, maybe even to win one. When Roy O'Donovan is playing poorly, as he has been for a few games now, where is the cover? When O'Flynn can't score, which is most of the time, who is on the bench? What do we need? A striker, surely, a right winger definitely...

harry crumb
19/08/2005, 9:28 PM
Doninic Foley from Bohs would give us an option.

He is a Corkman and a goalscorer.. :ball:

Lets not get carried away. That is only out 2nd loss all season and our 1st away from home. We still have an amazing squad. :)

pete
21/08/2005, 3:03 PM
I'd like to see us have more options out wide in midfield. Stephen Grant would have been very goos signing there.

Troy.McClure
21/08/2005, 4:18 PM
We really need a right sided winger (IMO Roy is a striker playing out of position). After that, maybe a big centre forward. Foley would give us options but is too expencive to be on the bench and is a journey man with a $hite record over the years. He had his chance to join us and went for the Jackeens insted.

patsh
21/08/2005, 6:16 PM
The teams that have won the league almost every single year also had the top scorer in tier side.
Derry have the top scorer at the moment, we have a striker who couldn't score in a brothel.
I hate to say it, but we will lose out on the title unless Flynnie either starts scoring again, or he is dropped and Bruton/Behan can get a few goals.
Our scoring rate has collapsed and it will cost us points.
No good having a superb defence if we can't score a goal to get the 3 points.

pete
21/08/2005, 7:21 PM
I think we have had some hard games recently & wouldn't have expected a lot of goals so not too worried there. Fenn has stepped up to score more & Roy & George have been off form too.

11 games left but i agree that need O'Flynn to probably score in at least half those games.

I hate to mention Doyler but he'd 15+ goals in the league easily at this stage.

A face
21/08/2005, 8:04 PM
Flynnie is back a long while now from injury .... he has been given time ... i hate saying it, but something needs to happen. Either he needs to be dropped or he needs to start scoring.

Alot of people are saying, it wouldn't be good for his confidence being dropped ..... but it is definitely not good for a title race having your striker on a long goal drought. We can worry about his confidence later on .... we need to win a title first.

We cant keep carring him .... and that is the truth of it.

Fair_play_boy
21/08/2005, 9:26 PM
Flynnie is back a long while now from injury .... he has been given time ... i hate saying it, but something needs to happen. Either he needs to be dropped or he needs to start scoring.

Alot of people are saying, it wouldn't be good for his confidence being dropped ..... but it is definitely not good for a title race having your striker on a long goal drought. We can worry about his confidence later on .... we need to win a title first.

We cant keep carring him .... and that is the truth of it.There is a sense of deja vu about this thread. About a year ago, there was a similar train of thought discussed about Flynnie. And hey presto! As if he was reading it, he form improved and he started playing far better football, sticking a few away to boot.

patsh
22/08/2005, 6:44 AM
There is a sense of deja vu about this thread. About a year ago, there was a similar train of thought discussed about Flynnie. And hey presto! As if he was reading it, he form improved and he started playing far better football, sticking a few away to boot.
If he does the same thing this season, won't we all be delighted?

Troy.McClure
22/08/2005, 3:33 PM
Well we are the top scorers in the league with the meanest defence so Im not too worried. We're not a one man team, Fenn Roy and George are all threats on a regular basis. Fylnn imporving would be a bonus but is not the end of the world if he doesnt. Bray also have one of the top scorers and they are mid table at best. Its a team game not a one man show.

Peadar
22/08/2005, 3:47 PM
Stephen Grant would have been very goos signing there.

Thought I heard that he was going to consider signing next season???

pete
22/08/2005, 4:51 PM

I think i heard that too. I'd say nothing definite though...

A face
22/08/2005, 5:51 PM

And any idea what he wants to do .... i presume sign for some other club yeah ??

To be honest, its a crying shame that he cant get back on form because when he is, he'd set the place on fire. Having seen some of his goals when he first joined us, the guy is only waiting to turn it on ..... just cant afford to lose the league waiting for it.