PDA

View Full Version : Dolan worried about 10-team Premier

Pablo
10/04/2002, 10:48 AM
Saint Patrick's Athletic manager Pat Dolan has revealed that he is extremely worried about the new 10-team Premier Division structure which will fall into place next season.
Dolan spent last Saturday at the Irish Cup semi-final between Coleraine and Portadown, during which he spoke to Glenavon chief executive George Ruddell.

Ruddell admitted to the Saints boss that he could not believe that the eircom League was taking this course, as the 10-team top flight has not contributed to the progression of the dying League north of the border.

"George expressed his amazement that the League down here were changing to a 10-team Premier Division. He couldn't believe they hadn't learn from the North's mistakes," Dolan wrote in his column in The Star.

"So why are we pressing ahead with change? George cannot understand it and when he gave his reasons for the failure of the 10 teams, I found them persuasive. Fans of small teams no longer have the opportunity to watch their sides in action against bigger, hungrier outfits.

"Their League, they think, has less credibility and less support. Now they are keen to change and keen to open communications with the eircom League to try and get us to learn," Dolan added. "I hope we do."

Although the clubs initially voted democratically to introduce a 10-team Premier - typically, as with summer soccer, without any market research or consultation with relevant bodies - most are now against it.

Pablo
10/04/2002, 10:50 AM
Although i agree with everyword of the article, its a pity Dolan isnt so worried about dragging the league through the mud, with other issues in recent months.

A man who up untill this season i had a lot of respect for.

pete
10/04/2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Pablo
Although the clubs initially voted democratically to introduce a 10-team Premier - typically, as with summer soccer, without any market research or consultation with relevant bodies - most are now against it.

Its all very well for Dolan to moan about & he has valid points but it was the clubs that voted for both the 10 team league & summer football & no club was forced to vote for & it. The clubs are always keen to slag off the FAI for its lack of direction but seems they just as bad with this matter.

btw aren't the IL clubs introducing some dsort of mid season split in their Premier division? Like the one tried disastrously in the eL in the early 90's & currently used in the SPL. How Dolan remionded the IL leaders how bad that worked out.

TommyT
15/04/2002, 2:40 AM
In fairness many clubs have been calling for this for a long time, particularlty as many seasons have been marred by uncompetitive teams in the bottom 2. Unlike summer soccer it's easily reversible.

Jaime
16/04/2002, 2:28 PM
Like most people I never liked Dolan but always had a bit of respect for him, and since events of this season have neither.
As has been said, the 10 team league can be tried and if it does not wok it can be reversed, simply by bringing more teams up.
The 10 team league is obviously not going t be abolished before it begins, and so its best to treat it as an experiment.
The IL has failed and is now dying for reason other than the 10 team league.