PDA

View Full Version : Different Nationalities in League of Ireland

JC_GUFC
04/07/2023, 1:46 PM
With today being 4th July a few on our forum are reminiscing of American players to have played with the club. I think there have been 10 along with two currently playing with the Women's team and of course John Caulfield is American born!

There have been loads of Americans down the years but what are the most obscure nationalities that have played in the league?

At Galway United we've had Wes Charles (St Vincent & Grendines), Eric Lavine, Ryan Lucas, Luther Watson & Llewellyn Riley (Barbados), Regilio Nooitmeer (Haiti), Oscar Sibanda (Zimbabwe), Bastien Hery (Madagascar), Jonah Ayunga (Kenya), Yob Son & Kim Jingu (Korea), Andreas Werner & Eduardo Dusi (Brazil) and Ivan Gamarra (Argentina).

Obviously most of these haven't been capped and I'm pretty sure there have been others from these nations in the league.

sidewayspasser
04/07/2023, 2:47 PM
I think Kaleem Simon being capped for Montserrat must be a contender for the most obscure one.

kksaints
04/07/2023, 2:58 PM
Ryan Guy Guam, Cyril Guedje Togo and Mbabzi Livingston Uganda are three examples I can think of. Nwoko and Nehum Lambert two of our unsuccessful forwards in 2021 are Maltese and Saint Lucian Internationals and both played in the last International break. While he didn't sign with us permanently we had a US Virgin Island International on trial in 2009, Gavin Glinton I think was the players name, played in a preseason friendly vs Chelsea along with the sadly recently deceased Gints Fremanis.

joey B
04/07/2023, 3:09 PM
Harps just signed a Fijian,the first one in the league I think....

2 Year Contract
04/07/2023, 4:10 PM
There’s a (presumably incomplete) list of foreign players to play for LOI clubs on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_League_of_Ireland_players

Some great names in there and lads that you’d totally forget. Warning for any fellow nerds out there: that page could well send you down a proper rabbit hole for the rest of the evening :)

JC_GUFC
04/07/2023, 6:00 PM
There’s a (presumably incomplete) list of foreign players to play for LOI clubs on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_League_of_Ireland_players

Some great names in there and lads that you’d totally forget. Warning for any fellow nerds out there: that page could well send you down a proper rabbit hole for the rest of the evening :)

That is absolutely glorious. A few edits will be made to add in some lads tomorrow!

There was a lad called Amir Zola at St Francis who I believe was from DR Congo.

sulywaterfordfc
04/07/2023, 8:29 PM
What do you count though? Do you base it on the international teams players played for or where they’re actually from. As Zayed was a Libya international but pretty sure he was born and breed in Ireland.

One of the first names that should come to mind for everyone though is Joey Ndo. Probably one of the best overseas players to play in the league.

EalingGreen
04/07/2023, 8:44 PM
Alan Mannus should be on that list.....

... born in Canada :)

Neish
04/07/2023, 9:32 PM
One of the first names that should come to mind for everyone though is Joey Ndo. Probably one of the best overseas players to play in the league.

Probably the best commentator too

TonyD
04/07/2023, 10:46 PM
Alan Mannus should be on that list.....

... born in Canada :)

I see what you did there. :p

2 Year Contract
05/07/2023, 7:59 AM
What do you count though? Do you base it on the international teams players played for or where they’re actually from. As Zayed was a Libya international but pretty sure he was born and breed in Ireland.

The player's FIFA nationality. As in, whoever they represent internationally is deemed their nationality by FIFA. They can hold other non FIFA nationality outside of that, but playing for or declaring for (being called up for) a national team at underage or senior level is what they class the players nationality as. For those not called up internationally, it goes by their regular nationality.

2 Year Contract
06/07/2023, 8:15 AM
Potentially a 6th Barbadian to join the LOI. Bray had Barbados international Nadre Butcher on trial against Dundee last night. He scored a good goal too

https://twitter.com/braywanderers/status/1676853917903093760?s=46

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadre_Butcher

EalingGreen
06/07/2023, 12:01 PM
What do you count though? Do you base it on the international teams players played for or where they’re actually from.

The player's FIFA nationality. As in, whoever they represent internationally is deemed their nationality by FIFA. They can hold other non FIFA nationality outside of that, but playing for or declaring for (being called up for) a national team at underage or senior level is what they class the players nationality as.

If 2YC's definition is correct - and the Zayed example suggests he is - then NI-born players who've represented NI (IFA) should also be listed as a "different nationality". Or think of it this way, if you were to compile a list of "Different Nationalities in the Irish League", would anyone object if ROI (FAI) players were included within the European section?

(Personally I couldn't really give a stuff either way)

2 Year Contract
06/07/2023, 2:58 PM
If 2YC's definition is correct - and the Zayed example suggests he is - then NI-born players who've represented NI (IFA) should also be listed as a "different nationality". Or think of it this way, if you were to compile a list of "Different Nationalities in the Irish League", would anyone object if ROI (FAI) players were included within the European section?

(Personally I couldn't really give a stuff either way)

It’s only a Wikipedia list, nothing serious. I imagine Northern Ireland players aren’t included because there’s been so many of them to track. There’s also a club in the LOI based in NI so maybe that’s another reason

brendy_éire
07/07/2023, 9:21 AM
José Mukendi played for Derry and Harps, and was capped for Zaire, as it was called then.
His son Marc also played for Derry, Harps and Coleraine.

There was also Derek Phillips, who played for us and Shamrock Rovers, and got a few caps for Trinidad and Tobago.

CraftyToePoke
07/07/2023, 10:24 PM
Rodrigo Antonio Lombardo Tosi - Brazilian striker at Limerick FC 2017, hit 14 in 32.

EatYerGreens
07/07/2023, 11:24 PM
Potentially a 6th Barbadian to join the LOI. Bray had Barbados international Nadre Butcher on trial against Dundee last night. He scored a good goal too

https://twitter.com/braywanderers/status/1676853917903093760?s=46

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadre_Butcher

'The Butcher of Bray'

2 Year Contract
08/08/2023, 11:04 AM
Daniel Orrego made his debut for Athlone on Friday and I believe he's the first Colombian to play in the LOI

joey B
08/08/2023, 12:20 PM
Daniel Orrego made his debut for Athlone on Friday and I believe he's the first Colombian to play in the LOI

They’re a mad old set up in Athlone,they had a Ghanaian fella playing left back not long signed and he just decided he wanted to get sent off ,4-1 up with 15 minutes left and he gets 2 quick fire bookings for shocking tackles!

JC_GUFC
08/08/2023, 3:53 PM
'The Butcher of Bray'

What's happened to this lad? Featured twice and not seen since.

That's twice as many games a Llewellyn Riley managed at Galway United!

JC_GUFC
08/08/2023, 3:58 PM

I think one of their line-ups earlier this season feature 10 different nationalities in their starting XI.

Actually found it here...

A v Galway on 26th May

Velikin - Bulgaria
Fuentes Rodriguez - El Salvador
van Geenan - Netherlands
Connolly - Ireland
Pierrot - Haiti
Dolia - Ukraine
Abdikadir - Somalia
Zubkov - Lithuania
Leal - Portugal
Hickey & Campion-Hinds - USA

outspoken
08/08/2023, 11:15 PM
I think one of their line-ups earlier this season feature 10 different nationalities in their starting XI.

Actually found it here...

A v Galway on 26th May

Velikin - Bulgaria
Fuentes Rodriguez - El Salvador
van Geenan - Netherlands
Connolly - Ireland
Pierrot - Haiti
Dolia - Ukraine
Abdikadir - Somalia
Zubkov - Lithuania
Leal - Portugal
Hickey & Campion-Hinds - USA

There was definitely a starting XI with no Irish born players in it this season I'm almost certain

JC_GUFC
09/08/2023, 9:25 AM
There was definitely a starting XI with no Irish born players in it this season I'm almost certain

Aaron Connolly has started every match for them.